ISO delicious greens recipes!

newwhole30er

• Moderators

What did you not like about the spinach? Different greens have different flavors, so you might try different varieties. Some are also hardier and will stay a bit more crisp when you cook them, so if it's a texture thing, that might help.

My easiest way to get cooked spinach in is actually to put a couple of big handfuls of baby spinach in a blender or food processor, add three eggs and whatever seasonings you like in your eggs and blending it all until the spinach is broken down, and then cooking it all the way you'd cook scrambled eggs. They'll look green, but you don't get the texture of spinach because it's all blended up, and baby spinach doesn't have a very strong flavor to me, so I mostly just taste scrambled eggs and the seasonings I've added.

I do like the Crisp & Sweet recipe here: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/12/eat-your-vegetables-kale-chard-beet-tops-and-more/ 

She does it with kale, but my favorite are collard greens. It also works with any other greens you might want to try. If you have trouble finding dried cranberries without sugar, you can sub any dried fruit -- raisins, dates, apricots, whatever you can find compliant. You could probably even use some berries instead, but I haven't ever tried that.

13 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

What did you not like about the spinach?

I dunno, I guess the flavor. And the texture. I do make this baked spinach thing that I like- chopped spinach, mayo, coconut milk, eggs and seasonings. And I know I've eaten a spinach salad with honey mustard dressing that I liked- but not W30 compliant obviously. Maybe it's the sweetness...but I'm really trying to limit carbs this time. I'm excluding all fruit, nuts, and potatoes because I find they're too much FWOB for me. 

I had a kale scramble this morning that was really good. 1 link of Aidell's compliant chicken and apple sausage, 1/4 onion (red or yellow), 1/4 bell pepper. I diced the onion and bell pepper and cooked it in 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil on medium heat until the onions were translucent. I seasoned it with Penzey's Arizona Dreaming blend (but you could easily add whatever spices you like, compliant chili powder would be good, or just salt and pepper). Then I added the sliced apple sausage to get some color on it. Finally, I added the kale and cooked that down until it was the texture I like (very wilted). Finally, I plated that and then used the same pan to scramble 2 eggs to serve on top.  

I also really like making kale and sausage soup. I don't really have a recipe for this. I brown Italian sausage in a pan, add whatever vegetables I have on hand (carrots, potatoes, onions, etc + kale), and chicken broth. If you are heartier root vegetables (like potatoes or carrots) you'd want to cook those longer and then add the kale towards the end. It is kind of like the olive garden zuppa toscana soup. 

I honestly don't like spinach (I don't care for the taste or texture), so I don't typically eat much of it unless I include it as one of the greens in a mixed greens salad. 

Overcooked spinach is the worst. Sauteed spinach works for me only if it's thrown into the hot oil and taken off the heat immediately.

I like kale, but it can be a little too chewy when raw. For a raw salad, try massaging olive oil and vinegar (or lemon juice) into the kale for a while before tossing in the other salad ingredients! It makes your kale very relaxed and happy.

I've been adding thawed, well-drained chopped spinach to turkey meatloaf, and that's pretty tasty. It keeps the meatloaf very moist.

Thanks for these other great suggestions!

Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on day 30 (yay!!) and the leafy green recipe that has got me through the last 35 days (had to restart on day 5) has been a modified version of Ben and Birdy's Ultimate Kale Salad. I absolutely love the flavor and eat it 4-5x/week ...great with an egg on top of it or a side dish. I love it so much have probably told every friend of mine (paelo, whole30 or not) about it. 

The key is using SHERRY vinegar and massaging (yes, that's right) the dressing into the kale by hand (once dressing has cooled a bit)...it softens the kale a bit, turns it dark green.

Instead of breadcrumbs, I use macadamia nuts pulsed in the food processor to mimic size of bread crumbs.

I omit the cheese (of course) but had a friend recommend using nutritional yeast in place, but haven't tried it. I hope you all like it as much as I do and it helps on your whole30 journey!! 

http://benandbirdy.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-ultimate-kale-salad.html

Archived