matching fats to meals?

JenHZ

I know we should add fat to meals but I have trouble figuring out what to add.

For example Thursday  night we are scheduled  to have:

Roast Chicken

Baked plantains

broccoli

other than rubbing the chicken with oil there isn't fat in the recipes.   So what would be good to add at serving time? Should we just eat a lot of chicken skin?

Last night we had post roast style brisket with carrots and onions, and steamed green beans

couldn't figure out a fat for that one either though I figured the brisket was fatty to begin with

tonight is burgers - hopefully enough fat there, sautéed' mushrooms they do soak up the oil so that should be ok,  green beans and maybe sweet potato

lunch is sausage, baked apple ( some coco nut oil in baking), roasted root veggies coated with oil before roasting.  broccoli

does that need more fat?  if so what?

thanks

I would add ghee or coconut oil over hot veggies like butter.  Add 1/2 avocado or handful of olives to salads. You can make sauces out of coconut milk or use mayo or a mayo dip for veggies or meat. Make mashed potatoes or veggies using ghee & coconut milk with seasonings. Nuts not too often but I would sprinkle some almonds or pine nuts over the warm green veggies in addition to the ghee, that adds a nice flavor too.  Nuts can also go in your cold salads or can be added to stir fry. Those are the fats that I use.

thanks

if you can stand a bit of ranting read on

no cold salads in winter cold food and depressing veggies that aren't very fresh

I really like plain steamed veggies and the oil /ghee seems to   just end up as a puddle on the plate anyway.

no one in my family will eat olives

dip, more work to make but I guess sometimes they would work, can get good carrots any time of year.  we never seem to want the kind of dinner you eat with your fingers.

I admit I have prejudice against mayo.  ate very little of it  as a child and it was always the condiment that languished in the back of my fridge until it had to be tossed.  spouse likes it even less. 

Rant over

obviously an area I will have to keep working on so would appreciate any more suggestions especially for the  specific meals outlined above.

Fat is my Whole30 BFF.

Give ghee (in it's clarified butter state) a chance on your vegetables. You might change your mind. Homemade ghee with Kerry Gold unsalted butter is in a category by itself.

Drizzle--really drizzle--your roasted vegetables with olive oil. And try ghee on fingering potatoes . . . . Or in mashed cauliflower.

Clarified butter + olive oil for sautéing (those mushrooms or other things) = classic French technique that is super flavorful.

Homemade mayo is like a religious experience compared to store bought. With garlic, it's aioli, or turn it into chipotle mayo or into dill ranch dressing with the addition of coconut milk or make your own tartar sauce for fish. So delicious! Plus, deviled eggs! Egg salad! Chicken salad! Salmon salad!

thanks @ArtFossil  you are always an inspiration

yes just overcoming 50 years of habit.  when I say my mom was a plain cook that is no disparagement of her cooking.  but the only thing we had that was a sauce was cheese sauce obviously out here.  we had sour cream  on potato chips    or baked potatoes.   ( Ok we did have tomato sauce on spaghetti once in a while)

homemade mayo is better but I still never think of it on my own.  never liked egg salad,  potato salad with mayo, or tartar sauce.  I do like aioli should make up a batch of that.  but outside of salmon salad mayo is still pretty much a blah for me. 

will keep looking for way to eat fat that looks like food not medicine that I must dose my meal with

I do love mashed starchy veg with fats but don't think I should be eating that at every meal, per the starchy veg guidelines.

I know I am sounding kind of whiney here.  just trying to write out my objections so I can see them clearly and see which ones I want to change.

additionally dips always seem snacky to me, as in just keep dipping and don't' mind what else you are eating at the moment.  hey it's a party, go crazy!

You haven't mentioned yet any specific prejudice against avocado, so it seems that would have gone really well with the chicken and plantains, as well as with the burgers. 

Not every mashed veg is starchy. I would have done mashed cauliflower and ghee with the pot roast/brisket instead of the green beans because hellooooooo, mashed potatoes and gravy, but better. 

I get that you don't want cold salads for meals, but if you're really struggling, every single one of those meals could have had a small side salad with either ranch or a good amount of oil and vinegar dressing on it, a couple nuts for crunch on occasion. Bam. Fats added. 

thanks @laura_juggles 

I always think of mashed cauliflower as a starch too. I wills top that.  though we did have it the night before we could have really have had the leftovers

right avocado would be great with the chicken meal as it already has plantains!

I will have to get in the mindset of making food  just for me as dh can't eat the bitter greens I can get in winter.  I think I can get some watercress.  Just have to not be disappointed that the rest of the family won't eat it.  will consider the ranch dressing for other greens.  I remember a good recipe.  not thinking of ranch is just a hangover from an allergy kid used to have.

On 2/15/2017 at 0:31 PM, ArtFossil said:

Homemade mayo is like a religious experience compared to store bought. With garlic, it's aioli, or turn it into chipotle mayo or into dill ranch dressing with the addition of coconut milk or make your own tartar sauce for fish. So delicious! Plus, deviled eggs! Egg salad! Chicken salad! Salmon salad!

I definitely recommend playing around with the flavor for homemade mayo and play with the ratio of oil if you prefer it to be looser and more of an aioli. I love adding curry powder and making a curry aioli that is great on chicken, with meatballs, or drizzled over vegetables. I also like adding cilantro or other herbs. Garlic aioli is my staple though. I think I've had some homemade garlic aioli in the fridge most days since my last Whole30. 

Archived