No issues with reintroduced foods

rogue30

Has anyone else not had ANY issues with reintroduced foods?

This is my first time doing a Whole30 and I am in the reintroduction phase (Day37). I followed the fast schedule and reintroduced dairy on Day31, soy on Day 34, and grains (with gluten) today (Day37). 

After eating dairy, I felt great. 

After eating soy, I felt great. 

After eating grains, I felt great. 

Should I have added an extra day to make sure? I feel like I haven't gained much information from reintroducing these foods, other than that I love eating them, and I will probably continue to eat them in moderation (like maybe I'll have grains twice a week). I also have to confess that I eased up on the 'no added sugar' part every so often during the reintroduction so far. Like I had a kombucha with sugar in it. That sort of thing. 

Any advice on how to handle this reintroduction? Because from reflecting on the process so far, I feel that my body thrives on lots of veggies and portion control, and not necessarily on cutting out certain foods. 

I'm pretty much in the same boat, didn't have any bad reactions to reintroduced foods.

I don't know if you have any weight to lose but I do, and I've had the most success as I've had in years in the 6 weeks of Whole30 + reintro's.

With that in mind, I'm curious to see what happens (if I can still lose weight) having the reintroduced foods throughout the week. The one I will probably have most is dairy (in coffee and cheese!). This is something I'll have to monitor carefully.

• Moderators

It's great that you didn't have negative reactions to anything -- that makes it a lot easier if you're in a situation where you want to not worry about what you're eating so much, like at social events or if you're traveling and have fewer options than you would if you were preparing your own food.

I would say that sometimes foods are fine in small amounts, but if you add them in regularly, you start noticing you're not feeling as good, so do continue to pay attention as you move forward. For instance, after my first Whole30, the only thing I really missed was half & half in my coffee, so I kept eating Whole30 except for that one addition, and after a couple of weeks I noticed some aches and pains that had gone away, came back. I have to assume that while the amount of dairy I had during reintroduction didn't bother me, there was a limit to how much I could have before my body had had enough.

The book It Starts with Food and this series of blog posts both outline why these foods were left out of Whole30. The thinking is that even if you don't notice immediate effects from reintroducing them, they're still not necessarily foods that are making you healthier, and therefore you probably don't want to go back to eating them on a daily basis. Obviously, you get to decide for yourself how often you want to have them going forward, but you can find some information on how you might choose to look at it here.

sunnytropic - losing weight was not a goal I had while on Whole30, but I did end up losing 4 lbs and it felt like it happened in a healthy process. So I agree that Whole30 has helped keep me in shape (moreso than other eating habits I've tried). 

Dairy is also the food I will add back in the most. Definitely missed milk and cheese, too! (oh, and cake, but that adds grains, sugar, grrrr) 

I do like the no added sugar/no grains part of Whole30 and will stick with this part. 

Shannon - thank you for the links, I will read up on the Manifesto Series. I went into Whole30 having a vague and generalized idea of the nutritional arguments, and I thought I would just go ahead and test out how my body reacts. But I'm realizing that the fast roll out reintroduction didn't give me much info to go off of. Maybe like you observed with half and half in your coffee, I will have to take a more slow roll out approach and see how foods affect me over time. 

That said, I'd be interested to try going on Whole30 again to learn more, but not for a while. I'm enjoying more slack for a while. :)

• 9 months later...

It happened to me after the second round of Whole30. I did the Whole 30 the first time back in June and just finished my second round through the Month of November (yes, Thanksgiving on Whole30!). I'm on Day 6 of the reintroduction and so far, the only thing I noticed was that I felt bloated and gassy after eating/drinking dairy. Otherwise, I've tried legumes with no ill effects and I've had sips of white wine. I'm waiting to see what effects I will encounter after re-introducing Non-gluten grains and gluten grains. After my first round, I did a fast re-introduction and so I didn't get a chance to analyze the effects. This time, I'm going a little slower and the results are not what I expected - in a more positive way. However, I was wondering if I'm the only one too! This doesn't mean I'm going to add all the foods back. It just means that I can have some of these things in moderation and still maintain a Whole 30-ish diet.

Archived