Food Storage Times

Soph

Hey there, 

I've had a look around but can't seem to find much info on here about the shelf life for prepared meals. 

I'm wanting to make meals at the beginning of the week, with meat veg etc and have them ready to go for Monday - Friday, but I'm concerned as to how long the cooked meat will stay good for. 

Does anyone have any advice, tips or info?

Cheers!

Hi @Soph & welcome to the forums :)

I'm a single mum working full time, so I do all my cooking in one big session on a Sunday & have enough food in my fridge to last me through until Friday tea time. Then on Saturday & Sunday I cook 'to order' when I have the time. My only exception would be salad veg which I chop as needed - tomatoes etc tend to go a bit mushy when cut up in advance IME.

Just make sure everything is stored in air tight containers & it should all be fine for 4-5 days.

That's my time limit on cooked food too, Friday is a free for all, eating up all the leftover food for the week.  Never had any problems.

FYI, if you feel a little nervous, you could always freeze a couple items on Sunday for later in the week, you'll just have to make sure you remember to take it out to defrost. If I'm cooking a big batch soup or stew I will usually freeze half just in case I don't get to it in time.

On 2/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, jmcbn said:

Hi @Soph & welcome to the forums :)

I'm a single mum working full time, so I do all my cooking in one big session on a Sunday & have enough food in my fridge to last me through until Friday tea time. Then on Saturday & Sunday I cook 'to order' when I have the time. My only exception would be salad veg which I chop as needed - tomatoes etc tend to go a bit mushy when cut up in advance IME.

Just make sure everything is stored in air tight containers & it should all be fine for 4-5 days.

Very interested to see what your meal plan looks like in more detail jmcbn, if you wouldn't mind sharing

36 minutes ago, Quint said:

Very interested to see what your meal plan looks like in more detail jmcbn, if you wouldn't mind sharing

I don't meal plan per se. I usually cook a few different types of protein (maybe a whole chicken, some pulled pork, and beef chilli for example), and a few vegetable dishes (regulars are root veg mash, or roasted mixed root veg, braised kale or cabbage with whatever other random greens I can find), maybe a pot of soup (Creamy leek & cauliflower for example), and then piece together my meals from that each day, ensuring I have salad veg, eggs, tins of fish, and olives/avocado/home made mayo for fat.

This week's food prep was very basic as I've been quite ill the past few weeks which has impacted my appetite leaving me with plenty of leftovers in the freezer. In my crock pot today I made a large batch of chicken, sweet potato, tomato & spinach curry, and in my pressure cooker I made some (again) curried ground pork with leeks, cabbage, courgettes & mushrooms. One pot meals like this make life really simple when time is short, or you're just not feelin' the love for the food prep!

So tomorrow I have some spinach leftover from the curry so the plan is to chop that up & add it to three scrambled eggs & have some sauerkraut & dill pickles on the side with mayo for breakfast. I'll have a serving of the pork dish for lunch with some avocado, & the chicken curry for tea with a blob of coconut yoghurt (coyo) I'll use to make a kind of a raita. The next day I'll grab something from the freezer for breakfast, and maybe make a tuna salad for lunch, and an omelette for tea with some mushrooms, leeks, onion & shredded potato....

2 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

I don't meal plan per se. I usually cook a few different types of protein (maybe a whole chicken, some pulled pork, and beef chilli for example), and a few vegetable dishes (regulars are root veg mash, or roasted mixed root veg, braised kale or cabbage with whatever other random greens I can find), maybe a pot of soup (Creamy leek & cauliflower for example), and then piece together my meals from that each day, ensuring I have salad veg, eggs, tins of fish, and olives/avocado/home made mayo for fat.

This week's food prep was very basic as I've been quite ill the past few weeks which has impacted my appetite leaving me with plenty of leftovers in the freezer. In my crock pot today I made a large batch of chicken, sweet potato, tomato & spinach curry, and in my pressure cooker I made some (again) curried ground pork with leeks, cabbage, courgettes & mushrooms. One pot meals like this make life really simple when time is short, or you're just not feelin' the love for the food prep!

So tomorrow I have some spinach leftover from the curry so the plan is to chop that up & add it to three scrambled eggs & have some sauerkraut & dill pickles on the side with mayo for breakfast. I'll have a serving of the pork dish for lunch with some avocado, & the chicken curry for tea with a blob of coconut yoghurt (coyo) I'll use to make a kind of a raita. The next day I'll grab something from the freezer for breakfast, and maybe make a tuna salad for lunch, and an omelette for tea with some mushrooms, leeks, onion & shredded potato....

VERY useful. Thank you. Seems a good approach. I have a bit to learn :-)

Archived