Making my own mayonnaise

MCWhole30

The other posts I've read recommend using light olive oil which is supposed to minimize the taste of the olive oil. 

I experimented making mayo with avocado oil from Trader Joe's.  The family usually don't like store bought mayo but this was really good.  The family doesn't believe it's mayo :)

• Moderators

I'd agree that your olive oil itself may have been rancid -- taste a little bit by itself, it shouldn't taste like anything, if it's bitter, then it's spoiled. I've actually had the best luck buying my store's brand of light olive oil, rather than the bigger brands, but I bought small bottles of different brands at first until i found one I liked, and when I'd found that it was consistently good, I started buying it in the biggest bottle available to save money. I usually leave it in the container it comes in and keep it in my pantry, but if you don't have any place darkish to store them, you might want to put them in a darker container or keep the bottle covered up -- I've never seen a light olive oil that comes in anything other than a clear plastic bottle, although certainly for the extra virgin olive oil, you should look for non-clear containers. Light and heat can cause any oil to go rancid faster, some are just more susceptible to this than others, and the light olive oil seems to be one that goes bad pretty quickly in the wrong conditions. (Side note -- if you buy sesame oil or other flavored oils that tend to be more delicate and that you probably would only use small amounts of occasionally, if you keep them in the fridge they'll last a lot longer.)

You can use other oils for the mayo -- some people like avocado oil or macadamia nut oil or high-oleic sunflower or safflower oils (for these two, the high-oleic part is important, it means it's both more shelf stable and also improves the amount of healthy monounsaturated fats -- this is talked about a little in this article).

Archived