How much Fruit and Avocado"s

JonGADawg

• Moderators

Check out the meal planning template -- focus on the protein, fat, and vegetables, and occasionally add a serving of fruit.

You never have to eat a single avocado if you don't want to. If you do like them, you could have a half to a whole avocado with every single meal if you wanted to, although we'd recommend choosing a variety of different fats, not having the same one all the time. In general, at each meal, pick 1-2 of the fat servings mentioned on the template, and remember that often, fat that you cook in stays in the pan and isn't consumed, and if you're making multiple servings at once, the fat also gets divided up, so you probably want to add fat in addition to what you cook in. It's pretty hard to overeat fat, if you're eating it in the context of a template-based meal along with lots of vegetables and a serving or two of protein.

• Moderators

This is discussed a little bit in this post, and also in the book It Starts With Food. Basically, fat helps keep you satisfied between meals, it's good for brain health, and it's necessary for the body to process and use some fat-soluble vitamins. Whole30 isn't really focused on weight loss, but on reducing inflammation by cutting out the foods that are most likely to cause inflammation in the body. Getting healthier and reducing inflammation often leads to weight loss, but it's a happy side effect of Whole30, not the focus of the plan.

There are fats other than olives, so you could reserve those for occasional use and instead use avocado or guacamole; olive oil; coconut oil or flakes or milk; sauces or dips like mayo, chimichurri, pesto, or hollandaise; and occasionally nuts or nut butters.

Depending on what your diet was like prior to starting Whole30, remember that if you were eating much processed food or eating out in restaurants often, you may find yourself eating much less salt now than you have been in the past, and that can affect your blood pressure, so do pay attention to it. If you're taking medication for it, be especially careful that it doesn't drop too low. Always talk to your doctor about this kind of stuff, so they know what's going on and can advise you if you need to change medication dosages or make any other changes.

Shannon,   One more quick question and I will leave you alone.  I used to drink a nutrition powder called Zija XM+.  It is full of vitamins and minerals and has a little ginseng etc. for energy.  While my energy is better after 28 days on Whole30; I would love the nutrients.  It does have stevia in it.  Should I continue to avoid it while I am doing Whole30?  I will start another Whole30 in a couple of days.  Thanks so much.

If it has stevia, then it's not allowed during Whole30. You should be able to get all the nutrients you need from a varied diet without needing a processed, sweetened powder. You were probably also getting quite a boost from the ~200mg of caffeine in that mix. It's also got just straight up cane sugar in it. So you're looking at a sugar high plus added caffeine. Their packaging claims there's "90+ vitamins, minerals, and enzymes" in it, but there is absolutely no information on any of that which I can find. Seems questionable at best. 

1 minute ago, NoaK said:

Relate question: I know avocado has fat, but can I use it as my veggie option in a meal.

Nope, avocado is a fat for Whole30 purposes. Fill the rest of your plate with any other veggies you like. Aim for around a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day (all varieties of potato, parsnip, plantains, turnips etc), and then the remainder of your veg should be non-starchy - lettuce, kale, spinach, summer squashes, peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli etc etc etc

Hope this helps.

Archived