I can't believe I've been messing up!!

J.S.D fam

I'm am beyond upset,  right now......I just bought  magnesium with calcium and b complex.....I thought,  "well I should check to see if these are compliant?"....NOT COMPLIANT,  had soy...ok, phew, I didn't take them yet......well that got me thinking. I never checked my multi vitamin, And vitamin D that I take EVERYDAY......they had Cornstarch, and soy!....I'm on day 15!! Half way done! This is seriously gonna break me!!

Stay calm! If I recall correctly, the Whole30 program book (and maybe website) addresses this is exact sort of thing. Rather than throwing all the hard work you have done in the last 15 days away, just stop taking those things and re-assess. Have you been seeing benefits from the changes you've made? If so, maybe that small amount of soy and cornstarch wasn't that bad and you should just finish your next 15 days. If you haven't seen many benefits, start paying extra close attention now that you know to remove those things. Maybe you should go a little longer than 15 days before you end your reset. Psychologically, you've probably still made some great progress, since you weren't knowingly taking non-compliant supplements. Lesson learned! 

I don't think there's any reason to panic. Just calmly assess how you think those things were or weren't affecting you to determine how much longer you should stay on your program. 

:) Happy, Whole30'ing. 

• Administrators

Hi @J.S.D fam - So sorry that you just learned the label lesson the very hard way. Unfortunately soy is one of the baddies...........and whether you want it to have or not, it reset your reset as it's a known gut and hormonal disruptor.

Read the starting over article below and let us know what you think you should do.

@emilyelowe has it right in that the last 15 days of hard work aren't for nothing. List up the good things that have happened in the last 15 days!

@J.S.D fam I'm so sorry! I went through that on my first whole30 when I took tylenol for a headache and then realized it contained corn starch (of course I read the label after I took it). One of the things that helped me was simply not saying I was "starting over" but instead "extending" so that I still got 30 full compliant days. For me the phrase "starting over" made it feel like I was saying everything I had done for the previous days was wiped away and didn't count for anything. We know that isn't true! You still likely have learned a lot, made healthier choices, and gotten some benefits. I still wanted 30 fully compliant days, but once I didn't call it starting over, I felt better about it. 

Good luck with whatever you choose! 

26 minutes ago, TryingOver said:

@J.S.D fam I'm so sorry! I went through that on my first whole30 when I took tylenol for a headache and then realized it contained corn starch (of course I read the label after I took it). One of the things that helped me was simply not saying I was "starting over" but instead "extending" so that I still got 30 full compliant days. For me the phrase "starting over" made it feel like I was saying everything I had done for the previous days was wiped away and didn't count for anything. We know that isn't true! You still likely have learned a lot, made healthier choices, and gotten some benefits. I still wanted 30 fully compliant days, but once I didn't call it starting over, I felt better about it. 

Good luck with whatever you choose! 

Tylenol or Advil is fine to take for a headache. There's no need to suffer unnecessarily on a Whole30. :)

Thank you all so much for your great advice.  I've decided to continue to trek on through, without taking those vitamins ( I'm buying new compliant ones) I did , although,  cave today and weigh myself.....thought that was better than going off the rails. mod edit to remove scale discussion  I will go 2 weeks after my 30 days.  I love that idea! I will not weigh myself from here on out.  This was definitly a lesson learned. Thank you all!

Archived