Starting March 6

Triponme

So far so good! My husband tried to get me to drink a glass of wine last night. I told him it's not on my program; so he said "a little taste won't hurt you." The brat! I actually acted like I tasted it just to shut him up, but not a drop of wine touched my lips! I wasn't really prepared and got tired of spinach really quickly. But I did make mayo and ghee, and I discovered a little bit of salsa mixed in with mayo makes a fabulous salad dressing. Spent a ton (a metric ton even, to quote Maggie) at Costco today. My local butcher made me some wonderful compliant country sausage (pork). Tonight I'm going to bake a bunch of chicken thighs. Some for dinner and leftovers for future meals.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Bess W said:

Hi! I started yesterday, too, but with almost no prep, so my meals were pretty bleak. I'm shopping for groceries today, and making this soup tonight. I'm really bad about cooking, so I'm hoping that Whole30 will give me some new recipes and ideas for more interesting meals. Does anyone have any go-to's for lunches at work? 

Thanks for sharing the soup recipe! I think I might add that to my list of emergency meals. Let me know if you make it and its not good lol. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Zuma1 said:

My issue is more what to have chicken besides sweet potatoes at night since quinoa, rice and pasta are out 

You should be having a plate full of vegetables at each meal (per the meal template), but if you're looking specifically for starchy vegetables, potatoes, any root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, or beets, any winter squashes like acorn, butternut, or kabocha squash, or plantains.

This is a great way to do butternut squash (or you could probably sub sweet potatoes or pumpkin or any other winter squash -- the flavor would change some, but should still be good): http://meljoulwan.com/2009/11/23/eat-your-vegetables-butternut-squash/

Or this beet salad is good: http://meljoulwan.com/2010/05/27/belly-dance-beet-salad/

Or pan fried plantains: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/04/18/casa-muy-grande-plantains/

Non starchy vegetable options:

http://meljoulwan.com/2011/01/11/cocoa-toasted-cauliflower/

http://meljoulwan.com/2012/03/14/coconut-almond-green-beans/

http://meljoulwan.com/2010/03/12/eat-your-vegetables-bok-choy/

Really, your options are almost limitless. It just depends on what you like. And don't feel like you have to follow complicated recipes -- I roast most vegetables, just coat them in oil and seasonings and put them in a hot oven until they're brown around the edges, stirring/flipping them after about 15 minutes. Saute kale or spinach or other greens in oil or ghee with some garlic, salt, and pepper, maybe add a bit of balsamic vinegar at the very end to help counteract the bitterness of some greens.

12 hours ago, Zuma1 said:

My issue is more what to have chicken besides sweet potatoes at night since quinoa, rice and pasta are out 

I picked up some cauli-rice at Costco yesterday. You can also make your own. Basically, you cut the cauliflower into florets and process it in a food process or blender until it looks like rice. I've seen some methods that add water. I googled it and found many types of recipes for adding things to it. 

Hi Everyone! I started on March 6th too. I'm just getting the hang of the whole "Whole30" routine, so to speak. My daughter and I began this journey with some of her co-workers and I'm really looking forward to seeing what clean eating, no sugar and positive food choices will yield. 18 years ago I had bypass surgery and lost 128 pounds. But I fell short of my additional 30 lb. loss goal, and never really kicked the sugar.  I've maintained my loss but want to finally finish this journey this year...sugar free. I'm into my 3rd day and feeling better.  The first 2 days my stomach was bloated and upset. I probably ate too many nuts, .....(just now checking out the plate template for portions) but I'm not really sure what was going on. I look forward to staying up to date and on course through your posts and suggestions. 

So far so good on day 3. I'm a little concerned about next week. Picking recipes is no problem, but I like the part of the book after the menu that tell me what to prep in advance on what night.  I'm afraid without that guidance I'm going to dive into a recipe and realize I'm way over my head and out of time.

Good luck. 

I'm way over my head. 

Prepping won't last in my house with an 18yr son and 20yr daughter they will just use my prep. So I have to make everything like I always do when it's time to eat. 

I've always been a label reader but limiting things not cutting out  

Some of my items are compliant in my pantry. 

Good luck

Hang in there Zuma! I'm a label reader too, but learned the hard way last time that you have to read ALL labels (who knew there was soy in water-packed tuna?) even if you think you know what's in there.

Day 3 almost over. Big time heart burn, and a four mile run to look forward to. Wish me luck!

Hey all!

I started on the 6th too. I recently moved from South Florida to Virginia and it is much colder, darker, and dead here! Before I realized I had started stress eating, gained weight and felt like general garbage.

My biggest challenge has been that I work nights, and over the next two weeks I have to flip to days to separate times. Its hard to get enough sleep, and eat enough when youre up for sometimes only 8 hours, but as many as 20.

The food has been going really well. I write down/take pictures everything I eat to look back and make sure I'm eating enough. My biggest problem is snacking when I have a gap in eating times. I am not sure there will be a way for me to eliminate that when I'm up for so long, but that is my goal over the remaining 27 days.

When I feel a craving for something I get on here and read this thread. Everyone elses motivation has been very helpful, so thank you!

The last 2 days have gone well. I am basically just having meat and veggies since I am doing the autoimmune version. I found some compliant sausages which I'm eating with olives and steamed veggies. I also made some chicken wings and am planning on grilling this weekend. 

Man, yesterday was pretty bad for me. I thought I'd eaten enough -- eggs for breakfast, ground turkey vegetable stew for lunch and sausage and tomatoes for dinner, but I had a headache most of the day, and got so sleepy in the afternoon. I had  I'm hoping this is more my body wondering where all the bread, wine and cheese went, and not because I'm not eating enough! Going to see how I feel over the next few days (and drink a bit more coffee this morning :))

17 hours ago, Chelz said:

The food has been going really well. I write down/take pictures everything I eat to look back and make sure I'm eating enough. My biggest problem is snacking when I have a gap in eating times. I am not sure there will be a way for me to eliminate that when I'm up for so long, but that is my goal over the remaining 27 days.

When I feel a craving for something I get on here and read this thread. Everyone elses motivation has been very helpful, so thank you!

Wow, it has to be hard to maintain that odd schedule.  Cravings and snacking are minimized when you eat to the template and space your meals evenly. Hopefully you can find a way to manage this! Good luck!

2 hours ago, Bess W said:

Man, yesterday was pretty bad for me. I thought I'd eaten enough -- eggs for breakfast, ground turkey vegetable stew for lunch and sausage and tomatoes for dinner, but I had a headache most of the day, and got so sleepy in the afternoon. I had  I'm hoping this is more my body wondering where all the bread, wine and cheese went, and not because I'm not eating enough! Going to see how I feel over the next few days (and drink a bit more coffee this morning :))

It doesn't sound like you're eating enough. I was shocked at how much food you actually need to eat to maintain energy levels, calorie intake etc. It's also around day 4, which is when your body starts having to make a shift in energy reserves so feeling lousy is to be expected. I tried to run last night and it felt like I was pulling a Prius and had to cut it short. :lol:

Happy Thursday Everyone!

I'm still struggling with drinking enough. NOTHING tastes good, which has upped my fruit intake. Last night's dinner went well, as did breakfast and lunch. My co worker is back today and always wants to eat out. I brought in lunch for both of us. My son has a school fundraiser at Sweet Tomatoes that I am trying to get out of. I think they have a potato bar and If I can find out if they are baked plain, I can probably survive it. The soups are too unknown so they will be off limits.

Anyone have a good soup recipe that is not tomato based? 

I started on the sixth as well!  I've been relying on nuts the first few days and need to up my veggie intake.  The problem is that I'm a super picky eater.  Any advice on how to get my fats from something other than avocados or olives?  

Archived