Starting March 6

Triponme

1 hour ago, Sara13 said:

I started on the sixth as well!  I've been relying on nuts the first few days and need to up my veggie intake.  The problem is that I'm a super picky eater.  Any advice on how to get my fats from something other than avocados or olives?  

I don't really even think about adding fats, because nearly everything I cook I sautee in coconut oil (get the refined, it doesn't taste like coconut) or drizzle a bit on steamed veggies... or I'll make my own salad dressing. If you don't like olive oil you can also use avocado oil or another compliant oil. Nuts are supposed to be tough on your tummy and for me they're a little addicting so I try to avoid unless they're on top of a salad or in a dish. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time poster here, but I have been creeping around reading this forum like it is the Holy Book.

I started on the 7th, so technically this is the beginning of my day 3, but I ate very healthy on Monday but consider Tuesday my official start day. yesterday I got the headache and was sooooo lethargic in the afternoon. I didn't know if I could make it to the gym, especially without a pre-work out. I did it, even though my run time was definitely slower than average, but according to my fitbit, I burned the same amount of calories and boy, did I sweat!!! It was way more intense than when I take my thermogenic pre-workout. 

I definitely woke up with a fierce attitude today and can't be arsed about anyone at work, so I have decided to just put my headphones in for the rest of the day. Anyone else feeling grumpy?

3 hours ago, frogtox said:

It doesn't sound like you're eating enough. I was shocked at how much food you actually need to eat to maintain energy levels, calorie intake etc. It's also around day 4, which is when your body starts having to make a shift in energy reserves so feeling lousy is to be expected. I tried to run last night and it felt like I was pulling a Prius and had to cut it short. :lol:

Right? I'm not a big meat eater, so I thought, surely, all this protein would keep me full, but it's really not!

I'm adding avocado to my turkey stew. I did that with eggs this morning and I was full longer. But I think part of it might just be withdrawals. I'm definitely better today! Though ... not *quite* sure I'm up to working out just yet. 

1 hour ago, Rachie037 said:

I definitely woke up with a fierce attitude today and can't be arsed about anyone at work, so I have decided to just put my headphones in for the rest of the day. Anyone else feeling grumpy?

Yes!! I noticed that starting this morning I had very little patience for people, and it's continued up to now. Kinda hard when you're a teacher, but thank goodness most of my students are lovely.  But it's definitely a "kill ALL the things" kind of day! I even warned my husband, so he's steering clear of me ;) Good luck to everyone on day 4!

Does anyone else get the daily newsletter? At the end it has you click if you made it through the day or didn't. I get such a huge sense of accomplishment for checking off that I made it. I got some less than desirable news today. I thought that it would throw me off track but it didn't! I'm pretty proud of that because I would normally have turned to food for comfort. Instead I had to communicate my way through it, ugh lol.

31 minutes ago, Samalamma said:

Does anyone else get the daily newsletter? At the end it has you click if you made it through the day or didn't. I get such a huge sense of accomplishment for checking off that I made it. I got some less than desirable news today. I thought that it would throw me off track but it didn't! I'm pretty proud of that because I would normally have turned to food for comfort. Instead I had to communicate my way through it, ugh lol.

How do you sign up for the newsletter?

I am having a terribly hard time with the 3x a day meal piece. I'm probably not eating enough, so then I find myself starving at the end of the night. I'm eating compliant foods, but I'm very often having a fourth meal... :(

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, MakingIt30 said:

How do you sign up for the newsletter? 

You can sign up for the Whole30 Daily here, but keep in mind you really need to sign up for it a few days before you start a Whole30 to get it started the day you start and go along with where you are in the process. You can still sign up, but I don't know that you can set a start date in the past, so you'll be a few days off.

11 minutes ago, Chelz said:

I am having a terribly hard time with the 3x a day meal piece. I'm probably not eating enough, so then I find myself starving at the end of the night. I'm eating compliant foods, but I'm very often having a fourth meal... :(

When you have longer than normal days, instead of focusing on three meals a day, focus on going 4-5 hours between meals. If your meals aren't quite getting you to that point comfortably, then they do need to be bigger, but if you're awake for 20 hours straight, it makes sense that you're going to have an extra meal or two.

What I would do when your schedule changes is make sure that whatever time you wake up, you eat within an hour of waking up, and then space your meals out from there.

You might find some helpful tips in this post from Nom Nom Paleo on Surviving the Night Shift.

I hit the grumps for sure and found myself a little energized this a.m. with the workout. But in the evening I'm wiped out two hours after dinner.

Today - brought a 'lettuce burger' for lunch while the coworkers potlucked. I definitely checked out the fried chicken, hovered over the carrot cake and whiffed at the donuts. Then proudly stuck to my dates and blueberries. :)

Clawdawg, I have a gluten allergy, but always like to take a big sniff of the bread for the table when I go out to eat. It smells so good! I have been sticking to the same basic meals this week. I am going to Costco this weekend to get some more options. I am doing to autoimmune version which really limits my options. But I can already feel a difference in my body.

What does everyone do for exercise? I'm trying to alternate yoga and the gym. It's getting really nice here, so I may start taking some walks too.

11 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

When you have longer than normal days, instead of focusing on three meals a day, focus on going 4-5 hours between meals. If your meals aren't quite getting you to that point comfortably, then they do need to be bigger, but if you're awake for 20 hours straight, it makes sense that you're going to have an extra meal or two.

What I would do when your schedule changes is make sure that whatever time you wake up, you eat within an hour of waking up, and then space your meals out from there.

You might find some helpful tips in this post from Nom Nom Paleo on Surviving the Night Shift.

This is so helpful! Thank you so much for this I feel like it really helps! And the sleep with the crazy shifts is super important. That article was great. :)

On 3/9/2017 at 9:24 AM, Sara13 said:

I started on the sixth as well!  I've been relying on nuts the first few days and need to up my veggie intake.  The problem is that I'm a super picky eater.  Any advice on how to get my fats from something other than avocados or olives?  

Coconut flakes and they travel well also. 

12 hours ago, Zuma1 said:

I can't find the newsletter either. 

I'm on R1D5 and we'll just overwhelmed. Not hungry just overwhelmed 

This is the newsletter I get https://daily.whole30.com. This is the one that the moderator mentioned starts on day 0, so it would be behind if you sign up for it now. It has some good advice but most of it can be found on their website or the books. I thought today was hard. I made it to the end of my meal plan so I need to figure out some meals for next week. 

14 hours ago, Zuma1 said:

I can't find the newsletter either. 

I'm on R1D5 and we'll just overwhelmed. Not hungry just overwhelmed 

Hang in there!! What about the whole30 are you feeling overwhelmed about? Anything we can help with here?

16 hours ago, zhuzhitup said:

What does everyone do for exercise? I'm trying to alternate yoga and the gym. It's getting really nice here, so I may start taking some walks too.

I am trying to get some cardio in. About 4-5 miles, but my time has been sluggish compared to normal and my gosh, the sweat! any one else experiencing that? I have been feeling really warm in general the last couple of days.

Overall the eating has been good! I still want a late night sweet or something so I had a dried apricot. Sparkling water has been amazing to satisfy a juice/Soda/beer craving. 

17 hours ago, zhuzhitup said:

Clawdawg, I have a gluten allergy, but always like to take a big sniff of the bread for the table when I go out to eat. It smells so good! I have been sticking to the same basic meals this week. I am going to Costco this weekend to get some more options. I am doing to autoimmune version which really limits my options. But I can already feel a difference in my body.

Working out for me consists of aqua fitness 2x a week and some walking or light weights. There's some free exercise apps available on Droid or iPhone that are great for ideas (with or without a gym.)

On 3/10/2017 at 8:20 AM, zhuzhitup said:

I do CrossFit 4-5 days a week, and throw a couple 5k's in there as well. It's CF open time, and after Friday night competition we all go out... But I survived!! Brought my water and a snack in case I got hungry (post workout of course I did, silly me). No beverages and no non-compliant food. Victory!!

Back to night shift now for two days though :( 

How did everyone's weekend go? I went to two farmers markets and wasnt even tempted by all the prepared food stands. More so just frustrated that I couldn't eat any of it lol but finally found an ahi poke place that I was able to get some ahi tuna, no sauce, no rice. 

Overall the cravings haven't been bad but I did feel really really restless last night before bed. But When I finally fell asleep I didn't wake up during the night.

i am already thinking about next weekend, which are the difficult days, 10-12. I have to work out of town on the Friday and then go directly to a party hosted by the middle eastern side of my family on Saturday. All you can eat homemade hummus, tabouli, spinach pies, tzatziki, dolmas..etc... I don't know how I am going to do it :S  Any advice?! 

Hope everyone else survived the weekend! I found it harder than the week; my schedule was all over the place. I was traveling a bit as well. I learned to pack my own food, take snacks, and not bother trying to explain myself to people who don't really want to be supportive. I took a La Croix and Lara bar to the movie (I needed something due to meal times being out of my control) and wasn't tempted by the popcorn!  Tonight I did some great meal prep. Chili is in the crockpot, breakfasts are ready to go, and I tried out the coconut flakes out someone suggested. Shredded coconut mixed with some spices - I dredged some chicken in an egg and then coated and fried in compliant oil. It's so good! Also picked up some cinnamon apple sauce at Trader Joe's and compliant wing sauce and salad dressing at Whole Foods. Trying to switch it up next week to reduce boredom and burnout. I still have some veggie chopping to do for next week but I'm wiped. Hope everyone else is doing well!

I survived the weekend. My husband and I were going to grill out, but we ended up going to the gym on Saturday then to our favorite bbq place. I had smoked turkey, pickled veggies and collards greens. It was all compliant. No sauces though. :( The portions were big enough for several meals. Last night I cooked up some ground turkey and brussels sprouts. I also picked up some salad stuff. Want to make sure I eat a a salad every day.

Archived