Starting March 6

Triponme

I survived the weekend but am struggling so much with my energy levels. I am training for a race, and need to build up my miles, and by the end of my run yesterday it was all I could do to make myself a good lunch. Dinner was a two hot dogs and half a potato... ugh. (lunch was a ginormous salad, so I figure I got a lot of veggies in then)

Saturday we went on the road for a soccer tournament, and afterwards the family drove through Wendy's and got burgers, fries, nuggets and frosties. I ate tuna salad in a cucumber boat and a handful of compliant potato chips and was perfectly content. At one point, my husband looked over at my lunch and told me it looked good, and I agreed. 

So, is anyone missing anything a lot? Not cravings, per se... I miss gum. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I survived the weekend. barely. I ran out of a lot of food, so I was sort of scrounging last night, and ended up just eating mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts for dinner. naturally, I woke up with a headache. Oh joy. I'm trying to take this as just a learning curve -- and a reminder that I need to overstock my pantry.

But man, this is expensive. I'm trying to tell myself that I'm saving money because I'm not eating out as much, or buying wine, but still. My grocery bills are nuts! 

I agree on the grocery bills! I feel like I've finally stocked up on some staples though, so I'm hoping they even out (salad dressings, sauces, spices, etc).  I'm trying to have more compliant meals on hand this week for when I don't feel like/don't have time to make something.  The biggest thing that has helped me the last few days is eating more.  I've had more energy, and actually been able to work out.  Up your portion size Frogtox - if you're training you need fuel!  Side note - love that you were traveling for soccer, I was refereeing Friday and Sunday!  Bess - can I ask for your mashed potatoes recipe?  I love mashed potatoes but can't imagine them without milk and butter.

I still miss chocolate.  Not in large quantities - but a Hershey's kiss or piece of Dove.  And wine...it was hard going out with friends this weekend and not having a drink.

49 minutes ago, Bess W said:

I survived the weekend. barely. I ran out of a lot of food, so I was sort of scrounging last night, and ended up just eating mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts for dinner. naturally, I woke up with a headache. Oh joy. I'm trying to take this as just a learning curve -- and a reminder that I need to overstock my pantry.

But man, this is expensive. I'm trying to tell myself that I'm saving money because I'm not eating out as much, or buying wine, but still. My grocery bills are nuts! 

1 hour ago, frogtox said:

I survived the weekend but am struggling so much with my energy levels. I am training for a race, and need to build up my miles, and by the end of my run yesterday it was all I could do to make myself a good lunch. Dinner was a two hot dogs and half a potato... ugh. (lunch was a ginormous salad, so I figure I got a lot of veggies in then)

Saturday we went on the road for a soccer tournament, and afterwards the family drove through Wendy's and got burgers, fries, nuggets and frosties. I ate tuna salad in a cucumber boat and a handful of compliant potato chips and was perfectly content. At one point, my husband looked over at my lunch and told me it looked good, and I agreed. 

So, is anyone missing anything a lot? Not cravings, per se... I miss gum. 

1 hour ago, Bess W said:

It is expensive! I feel like I am spending A LOT of money and constantly at the grocery store. 3x a week or more!! And it's just me! It is a little much, but i figured once I get in the grove of things, I will realize what is worth buying, what recipes I like etc...

Anyone struggling with some insomnia?? I am getting pretty restless at night. I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night and woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Rachie037 said:

Anyone struggling with some insomnia?? I am getting pretty restless at night. I only got about 5 hours of sleep last night and woke up at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep. 

Many people find if they have a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetable with their last meal of the day, it seems to help them sleep better. There are also some tips in this article that might help.

For those of you who are worried about expense, a few things to remember: You don't have to buy organic, pasture-raised, etc. There are some tips here and here, and if you google Whole30 forum budget, you should find past discussions with tips as well.

2 hours ago, Rachie037 said:

It is expensive! I feel like I am spending A LOT of money and constantly at the grocery store. 3x a week or more!! And it's just me! It is a little much, but i figured once I get in the grove of things, I will realize what is worth buying, what recipes I like etc...

I started on March 5th, and I had bad insomnia last night!  5 hours of sleep is not enough for me!

Lunchtime and I'm checking in. Day 9 (right?) and so far so good.  Lunch is leftover pork chops, asparagus and these https://www.sweetashoney.co/cauliflower-tots/ (very tasty!). 

I agree with the expensive nature of this eating plan. It's not only the meat, because even if you eat regular meat you still have the cost of specialty ingredients like coconut aminos, ghee, coconut milk, etc. I made a recipe that called for 1/2 c coconut aminos last night and figured it was about $2 worth. O.o 

Yes, Day 9! I ended up making all my meals on Sunday. A bunch of frittata, spaghetti squash, ground beef, tomato sauce, and mango chicken -- breakfast, lunch and dinner for 4 days.  Hope I don't get bored.  This mango chicken recipe is amazing, but don't use too much habanero.  http://www.foodfaithfitness.com/mango-chicken-with-coconut-cauliflower-rice/ I will try those cauliflower tots - they look amazing! Half a cup of coconut aminos is crazy! Most of my recipes call for a tbsp at most, like the above mango chicken recipe.  Which makes me question why I'm adding it at all.

Still on track, but craving rice.  I had the insomnia issue, which was disappointing, but it resolved itself somehow.  Generally surprised that I made it this far as I hate cooking. My husband flipped at the $300 grocery bill but that was for a whole week, and I'm sure we could get it down if we got less fancy with our food choices.  Still, he refused to buy me precut butternut squash.  Sigh.  Anyone else hate cutting butternut squash?

We're almost in double digits! I made the chili recipe from the website this weekend and it is so good. I highly recommend it. Trying a new breakfast recipe tomorrow win blueberries, sweet potatoes, apples, and chicken sausage. I need something new to switch out with my egg 'muffins'. 

I am so tired of dishes though...so many dishes...

Hi all,

I attempted to make mayo and lost my grip on the immersion mixer. What....a....mess...ugh! I was so annoyed. My days have been so hectic that I haven't even attempted so start  exercising, other than walking when my son is at practice. I have a small kitchen and every time I cook a batch of something I have to clean up before I can do a batch of something else. It's been very time-consuming. I'm still having issues  with beverages. I just can't drink plain water. So I've been struggling to get liquids in and not meeting that goal either. That being said I do feel OK and I think I may stay on this for longer than the 30 days so I can get the  prep down properly and then incorporate exercise into it and see how it goes from there. It's amazing how much crap is in prepared food. It's criminal actually. 

The kid is at basketball practice which is my time to plug in some jams and get these feet moving. Congrats to all of you :-)The kid is at basketball practice which is my time to plug in some jams and get these feet moving. Congrats to all of you :-)

12 hours ago, Dink said:

I'm still having issues  with beverages. I just can't drink plain water. So I've been struggling to get liquids in and not meeting that goal either. 

Have you tried kombucha? I drank so much of it on my first Whole30 that I bought a scoby and started making my own. It's delicious. I also find that La Croix or other flavored sparkling waters will break up the monotony of drinking plain water. Also iced tea. And, have you tried flavoring your water with a slice of citrus? That also helps me. 

16 hours ago, spunky1 said:

Anyone else hate cutting butternut squash?

Lord yes! I made this last night, and was thinking the same thing as I was peeling it. http://meljoulwan.com/2011/03/11/garlic-balsamic-grilled-butternut/ And, I usually only like to use the neck of it because gutting it is a pain, so I'm always looking for squash with a really long neck and tiny belly. 

Great job everyone,.. can you believe we're a third the way there already?

Wow - I've been counting days but saying a third of the way is huge! 

I second the La Croix. I hate eating a meal with just water. I drink water all day but need something with a meal. The coconut is my favorite flavor thus far. 

I will buy some La Croix today.  Yesterday I had a diet Snapple. I was stupid with dehydration. Water is one of the things I never drink, even as a child I didn't drink it. Don't drink milk either. I'm just kinda weird that way...

I am going to try the La Croix today. Open to suggestions. I've tried mineral water, water with lemon, herbal tea, plain. I'm finding it frustrating and difficult. Food is fine. Cooking is fine...it's just finding a way to hydrate that keeps presenting a problem.

32 minutes ago, Dink said:

I am going to try the La Croix today. Open to suggestions. I've tried mineral water, water with lemon, herbal tea, plain. I'm finding it frustrating and difficult. Food is fine. Cooking is fine...it's just finding a way to hydrate that keeps presenting a problem.

I think you're missing my point. I was inquiring as to your plans for your Whole30 as aspartame is an off plan ingredient, and a very nasty one at that.

Given that you knowingly chose to drink it I'm wondering if you'll start over.

Ultimately you decide though. Have a read at >this article< and let us know your thoughts.

Article is good. I'll be starting over. Clearing the calendar for April, and going to still try the La Croix to see if that is the route of hydration I will need to take. Not going back to regular eating as the prepping is going well and I am not going to revisit the caffeine withdrawal again. 

Am I still allowed in this forum to see the success of the others that have started or should I leave? 

2 minutes ago, Dink said:

Article is good. I'll be starting over. Clearing the calendar for April, and going to still try the La Croix to see if that is the route of hydration I will need to take. Not going back to regular eating as the prepping is going well and I am not going to revisit the caffeine withdrawal again. 

Am I still allowed in this forum to see the success of the others that have started or should I leave? 

Absolutely - & well done for re-committing!!

22 minutes ago, Dink said:

Bummer! I hope you find something that works for you. Please don't go! :)

I am super impressed at your commitment. Well done in making a good choice for yourself. I feel like our numbers have dwindled. Stick around and continue to share your successes and ideas! I wish I had done a week or two of prepping and easing into it before officially starting. Week One was tough. 

I am missing ice cream today. Having a rough week personally and that's my usual go to. I'm going to hit the gym for a bit tonight and have a girls night planned for tomorrow (shopping instead of drinking) to stay on the right path. 

Archived