Return of the November Whole30

CCLaymon

@IronGirlTrixie Wow! 2300 meters! You totally rock! I'm only swimming 1200 meters, currently, and I have to increase slowly or else I injure myself. Love hearing that you have found your groove!

@CCLaymon Regarding the potential clients, I would express warm appreciation for their desire to make me a meal, but explain that I have some dietary limitations that can make it challenging for others to cook for me. What I said next would depend on how they responded. "Oh! Tell us your limitations so that we can be sure our menu works for you!" I'd say that I eat meat, vegetables, and fruit; and that I do not eat grains, legumes, dairy, or sugar. "Oh! I'm sure it will be all right! Don't worry!" Then I'd offer to bring an addition to the lunch (for everyone to have) and I'd make sure it was something I could eat that was fairly substantial. That way I could serve myself none or very little of the non-compliant foods they fixed. YMMV. ;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@CCLaymon I'd follow @Jessica NG's advice. Seems reasonable and accommodating at the same time. 

@Jessica NG I thought those 2300m were gonna hurt. Really, after not swimming for months. I'm surprised it doesn't. I used to race competitively in my much younger years so for me it's a brain shut off as long as I have a workout handy to follow. I picked a shorter length of distance purposely just in case I really couldn't go the distance. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, Jessica NG said:

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings Did you rest and cook and exercise today? Hope the exhaustion is fading!

I cooked pork hocks today and was pleased to discover that they turned out a lot like the pork carnitas in the Whole30 book. Yum! I was making them to have in Pork & Pumpkin soup. I followed this recipe to cook them: https://paleoleap.com/oven-roasted-pork-hocks/ (I omitted the garlic and onions.)

My son was dubious about the unusual ingredients in the soup. He's never one who wants to try something new, but he really liked it once he tasted it. Yay!

My recipe (except I forgot to put the avocado on at the end for a topping! Darn! I got one, too):

1 roasted cauliflower head, cut into florets
clarified butter or olive oil
1 bunch green onions, chopped (reserve some chopped pieces for toppings)
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
5 cups chicken stock28 oz can pumpkin flesh
14 oz can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 ½ cups of cooked pork or chicken
1 avocado, cubed
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 440F. Cut cauliflower into florets and drizzle them with clarified butter.

Spread the florets on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes. Add them to the stock mixture (below) when done.

While the cauliflower roasts, chop the green onions and the yellow pepper. Sauté the onion and pepper in clarified butter until the pepper is soft. Add the stock, pumpkin, tomatoes, parsley, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Add the cauliflower when it is done roasting. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Add cooked meat. Simmer to heat the meat through.

Top servings with avocado and green onion. Serves 5-6.

My recipe was based on this one: https://paleoleap.com/ham-pumpkin-soup/

I did rest, though didn't have it in me to exercise and cook. And with the storm coming, I needed to get so much done. So I got my meeting done and then went to Whole Foods to stock up on some good stuff. Got more kombucha, awesome olives, some nuts, a bag of gorgeous lemons, a big container of compliant smoked salmon, some stuff from their salad bar to add to my spinach and greens that I had at home, and who knows what else - the foods there are so beautiful, it's hard to limit myself when I go there to shop, but the prices are just so high, so I must!

Your recipe sounds great but reading it is making me hesitant. I'm a much simpler cook, I think. I don't often follow recipes, but when I do, I make sure they're simple and with relatively few ingredients. But if one of my w30 friends were doing the cooking, I'd gladly dive right in!!! :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Hello Ladies!
@NoMoreCrunchyCravings how much snow did you get? We got about 5" but it was so heavy and wet and icy. It was a mess of a day.

I made that chicken in a bundt pan yesterday and it was very good and the easiest, by far!  Sam is not a chicken fan, and he really liked it, too!

I could not bring myself to cook tonight so we had breakfast for supper. I love that!

@mizrik - I don't know why it's not highlighting - "I may have slipped!" My husband always laughs when I say, "I may have bought a new pair of shoes today..." He say you MAY have???? You don't know??? He gets a big kick out of it - it made my laugh.

@jessica ng and @irongirltrixie - you're cooking is motivating me! I head to Virginia on Sunday - I hate the food prep for the those car rides. But Lord knows I'll have have my nutpod supply with me!!  :D:D:D

Rick (hubs) is supposed to be on the wagon with me this month, but I know he's not. I'm not sure what I'm facing next week on the food front!

Here's news - that beautiful Virginia lake house that we bought 50 weeks ago? We put it on the market this week. I'm a little sad, but only because it just did not turn out to be what we wanted it to be.  We're an hour away from Rick's kids, and I believe I have elaborated on my internet and phone issues ad nauseous.  It could take weeks to sell, but hopefully not. We'll move back to town where the kids and our office are located.

Here's a hypothetical question that almost came up this week, but luckily I avoided because of the snow:  I was supposed to go to meet the parents of our new employee so they could become client's of ours. I made the meeting for early afternoon, strategically avoiding the lunch hour. The parents insisted on making lunch for me. I was very nervous that it would be bread/pasta. I don't like to make a big deal about food at someone's house, but I also haven't had bread or pasta or sugar since our November 21 Whole30. Dilemma. What would you do?

I think we had between about 12". My back feels like we cleared 6 feet from the walkway, driveway, and the tops of the cars, but looking at the accumulation on our back deck, it seems more like about a foot when all was said and done.

I'm sorry to hear about your lake house - its such a disappointment when a dream like that just doesn't work out. I hope you have a speedy process of the listing/sale/contract/etc. and finding a place closer to town and family.

As far as what to say to the potential clients offering a meal, I'd say what @Jessica NG suggested. Do let us know how it goes.

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings The soup recipe was bit much for me, in all honesty. I need simpler meals for the day-to-day also. But everyone in my family loved the soup so much - and with two super-picky eaters, that's a boon - that I will probably make it again. One thing the Whole30 has taught me is that even complex recipes get much easier and faster once I develop familiarity with them. ;)

@CCLaymon I find I am continuing to learn about myself and how I handle food as I continue with the Whole30.

@IronGirlTrixie That's so cool that you used to swim competitively! I almost think I'm jealous. ;)

@Jessica NG  lots of hours in the pool, eating to keep up. I want to say like 8 hours of practice a week. I was never going any higher than the local teams.  Trouble was when I stopped and did no other exercise.  With not watching the eating part has in part gotten me to this place and size. Not  all of it, but I'm sure it is/was a factor. So that's also part of my journey, figuring out what works in the workout arena where I can be consistent and enjoy it. Being fun or making you happy is a big motivational factor for all things. 

@IronGirlTrixie I was a competitive swimmer, too!  Last time I went in for a bra fitting the woman said, "Were you a swimmer?" I still have the broad back in shoulders all these years later!  My current therapist thinks I will be able to swim again in about a month or so. Rick and I want to do a triathlon this summer, but I'm just not sure I can be ready.  I am so happy your are getting Tiger Blood!! It's the best!

Interesting realization today: since I've been really good with my food, I've allowed myself to shift my attention get obsessive about Sam's college experience. I am so over focused on it, yet I realize that I am, and can't let it go. I might have emailed his guidance counselor in the middle of the night...  :D:D:D

Admitting you have a problem is the first step, right? I feel like I'm starting to get some perspective back. I did email the counselor to mention that I might have over reacted a bit. MY POOR CHILD!!!

I need to make myself something yummy for tomorrow night - another night on my own as Sam is working until 10pm!!

How is everyone else doing?

11 hours ago, CCLaymon said:

Great article from the Whole 30 blog today about having a successful Whole30! 

http://www.self.com/story/realistic-whole30-advice-from-someone-done-it-three-times

Thanks for the article link - I liked a lot of what the author had to say but disagreed about the snacks (sort of). While I agree that eating only three meals during the day doesn't work for everyone, I think the moderators on this forum have a better idea when they suggest a mini-meal for in-between-meal hunger. By combining two to three of the major food groups, typically a protein and fat, or protein and carby veg, for when there's only two types in your mini-meal, you have sustained satiety and less of a chance for blood sugar/insulin spikes as compared to eating just a fruit or nuts or a fruit/nuts and nut butter or something.

I'm glad, too, that with a recent article coming out stating that the W30 is one of the most unhealthy "fad diets" out there nowadays, there's a positive account from a person who's actually tried it and can comment on its (not so) mysterious powers and benefits.

Thanks for the share!

I think the part of the article I agree with most is to make it a lifestyle.  Every time I tried to do a re-entry with something I had been missing, I went off the rails. So my only re-entry items before this Whole30 were mayo, ketchup, Balsamic vinaigrette and one time I tried peanut butter, but I could see that was a danger zone, so I won't be going back there :) 

I did make some new mayo today so I can make some egg salad for the road for my 8 hour car trip tomorrow!

I'm quite proud of myself for working ahead to pack my lunch and dinner for the road. And, the nutpods of course, LOL! I'll be stopping at spot along the way to pick up some more. Lord knows what would happen if I ran out :D:D:D   I did have Rick do some grocery shopping so I can make some chili Monday. Where is @mhemm our resident chili aficionado?

Small world, I was a competitive swimmer too! I swam in So Cal, and Wa for two years after we moved. I really liked the long distance races and relays and I think I would have stuck with it if we had stayed in So Cal. Instead I quit swimming to focus on Jump Rope - I competed in 5 AAU Junior Olympic Games, and our big "Nationals" was held at Walt Disney World, which I attended several years as well. I guess it all worked out ;), but I have thought about doing masters swimming again several times in the last few years. 

I had a job interview this week for a production job. The first interview I've received for a Full-Time job in the industry I want to work. All the work I've been doing the last few months has really paid off, and now I know a job change is eminent, not just a dream. ;)

I am back on Whole30, not in a round, but I've made the decision to permanently eliminate sugar in addition to dairy and wheat. My headaches returned with a vengeance lately and I'm not ok with that knowing the causes. 

Hope all of you are doing well, and day 18 is going smoothly!

@browneyedbeauty I'm so happy for you! First for the job - you had such challenges around that last year. It's wonderful to have something to look forward to!

And, back on track. :)  That has been the biggest decision for me. Do I want that glass of wine/bread/dessert? Yes, I do. But not having those things in my life has helped me to think more clearly. So when I want them, I think - how will I feel tomorrow if I eat this? Will my cravings come back with a vengeance? Will i be disappointed in myself for eating it? I am making better and better decisions with practice.  Also, I have a friend who owns a CrossFit gym and she is doing a book study this month on Food Freedom Forever. I asked to join so I can reinforce how great I'm feeling. I haven't gone into a summer season (shorts, tank tops, bathing suits) feeling this good in about a decade. And that really has nothing to do with the weight.  Even though I do have weight to lose, I'm feeling ok with myself.  That's big :) 

Food is all packed up for my long drive to Virginia. I haven't done that drive since New Year's!  Rick and I have been meeting up in different places, either here in NJ or Orlando or Charleston. Not a bad gig :) 

When I get to the lake my internet will be non-existent so I'll check in from work. Stay strong, friends!

I have a really dreadful cold. Not fair! I went all winter without getting sick (although it was close - twice I thought I was coming down with something, but managed to throw it off), and now I'm plowed with headache and continuous sneezing plus clogged solid nasal passages. Wah! My husband is sick, too. He started in on it 2 days after I did. (Wednesday night for me. I thought I might throw it off - wasn't too bad on Thursday and Friday - but misery descended Saturday. Husband started Friday night.) So far we are managing to stay compliant, but tonight's dinner is "catch as catch can." I feel terrible! Want. To. Be. Well!

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:22 PM, CCLaymon said:

I think the part of the article I agree with most is to make it a lifestyle.  Every time I tried to do a re-entry with something I had been missing, I went off the rails. So my only re-entry items before this Whole30 were mayo, ketchup, Balsamic vinaigrette and one time I tried peanut butter, but I could see that was a danger zone, so I won't be going back there :) 

I did make some new mayo today so I can make some egg salad for the road for my 8 hour car trip tomorrow!

I'm quite proud of myself for working ahead to pack my lunch and dinner for the road. And, the nutpods of course, LOL! I'll be stopping at spot along the way to pick up some more. Lord knows what would happen if I ran out :D:D:D   I did have Rick do some grocery shopping so I can make some chili Monday. Where is @mhemm our resident chili aficionado?

Yes, I thought that was a good point too-- it's not a crash type of plan where you are meant to do it for a short period of time and then drop it. It's meant to help guide your eating as a sustainable, healthy habit ongoing.

Good to know where your limits are, too. I'm totally off the rails when at home, and only mildly w30ish on work days, but I'm prepping tonight to do a Whole-3 (no, that's not a typo!) and then on the fourth day I'm going to New Orleans (Thursday). The last time I was there was ages ago where I volunteered for a week of home rebuilding after hurricane Katrina, and I was vegan. This time around, I'm going with my best friend, and we're planning to enjoy exploring not only the sights and sounds of Louisiana, but also the tastes. I made reservations at two really awesome restaurants, and have booked a culinary bike tour where we ride through the city, stopping at some awesome food joints along the way. There's also a crawfish festival next weekend that we're going to. I'm so excited!

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, browneyedbeauty said:

Small world, I was a competitive swimmer too! I swam in So Cal, and Wa for two years after we moved. I really liked the long distance races and relays and I think I would have stuck with it if we had stayed in So Cal. Instead I quit swimming to focus on Jump Rope - I competed in 5 AAU Junior Olympic Games, and our big "Nationals" was held at Walt Disney World, which I attended several years as well. I guess it all worked out ;), but I have thought about doing masters swimming again several times in the last few years. 

I had a job interview this week for a production job. The first interview I've received for a Full-Time job in the industry I want to work. All the work I've been doing the last few months has really paid off, and now I know a job change is eminent, not just a dream. ;)

I am back on Whole30, not in a round, but I've made the decision to permanently eliminate sugar in addition to dairy and wheat. My headaches returned with a vengeance lately and I'm not ok with that knowing the causes. 

Hope all of you are doing well, and day 18 is going smoothly!

All of these awesome athletes! I find the world of this level of sporting and athleticism really quite interesting. Good job with knowing where your food needs are in relation to your health. I know some of my issues but haven't gotten to a point where I'm committed emotionally to living that way. I don't know why, but I'm glad that I can speak to it. Perhaps some day I'll be ready to really live it! Let us know how the interviewing goes for work in your desired field - good luck!!!!

1 hour ago, NoMoreCrunchyCravings said:

Good job with knowing where your food needs are in relation to your health. I know some of my issues but haven't gotten to a point where I'm committed emotionally to living that way. I don't know why, but I'm glad that I can speak to it. Perhaps some day I'll be ready to really live it!

Knowing, and being able to speak to "it" is most of the battle. Your emotions will catch up and you'll just more naturally start living it. At least that's how it's been for me.

I've known and been able to speak to my battle with sugar for ten years now, but until I committed to Whole30 and saw the effects of it on my body I wasn't ready to deal with it. I can't tell you why now I am ready to deal with it, it just became clear it is time now.

@Jessica NG Oh no! You can do it! Chicken broth, scrambled eggs... Potatoes in the crock pot. Minimal effort but keep yourself on plan! I hope you feel better soon! 

12 hours ago, browneyedbeauty said:

Knowing, and being able to speak to "it" is most of the battle. Your emotions will catch up and you'll just more naturally start living it. At least that's how it's been for me.

Truth! 

In other news, wobbly bits have become more wobbly. Might be time to hit the gym and tighten them up! 

@NoMoreCrunchyCravings KPaul's was one of THE BEST meals I've had in my life :D 

I made the chocolate chili today - Rick will love that. When I'm not around, he's way off the wagon. I so want him to do this with me, but I know I can't force it.

Besides a very busy work schedule, I'm trying to get the house ready for a realtor luncheon on Thursday. Rick said it was ready, but we seem to be working from a different definition :)  Hope everyone is hanging in there!

I had an NSV moment today. I went to a hockey game and the seat was comfy! I think the person in it is shrinking! 

I hit my goal of getting to the pool for swim. This time 2500m. Totally butchered the workout. I thought something said 8 but really it only said 4. My legs were not happy with me! 

Need to do a cook up of some sort tomorrow. I'm open to recipe suggestions! 

Never heard back about the job. Disappointed, but motivated to keep pursuing my ultimate goal.

I'm in pre-production for a short film I wrote a couple months ago. It's the first time I've set out to produce something I've written and only the second time I've shared my writing with people I don't know. The response has been really positive. My wife and I are working on a budget and marketing plan to fundraise the money we need to shoot it. I've been put in a touch with a good director who loves my script and is excited to produce it. We're scouting locations this week. 

And I had a really good weekend with a relaxing fun day yesterday. All-in-all this week has been really good and much needed with the ongoing gloom here because it won't stop raining. :P

@CCLaymon How is the house prep going?

@IronGirlTrixie Huge congrats on the seat NSV! That's awesome!

@browneyedbeauty Bummer about the job, but I love hearing that you are keeping motivated, and the pre-production for your film sounds so exciting! Go, you!

I have been testing FODMAP foods lately. Everything is still Whole30 compliant, but I've been including the whites from the green onions I use, and I don't seem to have any trouble with them. Apples also seem fine, as does cauliflower. I'm beginning to suspect that I don't have trouble - at least, not anymore - with FODMAP-containing foods in general. Rather that I have trouble with specific FODMAP-containing foods, such as coconut flesh and garlic and bulb onions. No doubt there are more, but I will have to test each one separately and specifically. This is probably a good thing, because it means that my options will be much wider than heretofore.

Tonight I am serving BBQ chicken drumsticks and thighs, salad, sauteed okra, and cauliflower. The BBQ sauce is homemade and compliant. :D

My cold is not all-the-way gone, but I am feeling MUCH better. The husband is 2 days behind me on the cold. He has continued to be compliant through the illness, which I think a minor miracle. He hasn't really talked at all about why he decided to join me on the Whole30. I'm delighted, but I don't know the source of his motivation. It's day 125 for me, day 24 for my husband, and day 25 for those of us who started on March 1. Let's keep going, ladies! 5 more days! :D

@Jessica NGI was thinking the same thing! What?! It's Day 27? How'd that happen?! Plus whoa! 127? You go girl! 

Another venue, smaller seats... Still no hip bump in the seat or snug fit!  Winning! That's me.

I may have hit some food boredom or I'm just lacking sleep. Gotta get back on it! Hitting  the pool later to maintain the additional goal I set. 

@browneyedbeauty have you though about Kickstarter as a funding source? I thought this before but I'm not sure I posted the suggestion. 

How's everyone else doing?

Archived