sub for cornstarch?

angmilky

Thanks Sugar! I added some tapioca starch to a soup last week and it turned into small gel like blobs.  However, the instructions in the soup had me mix with hot broth from the soup and then add back in so maybe that was why.

I don't have any arrowroot powder but I have heard good things...do you mix with cold broth and add back in?  Are the measurements the same?  I also saw Bob's Red Mill has a Paleo baking flour that is compliant...I wonder if that would work?

• Administrators

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in my experience things thickened with arrowroot or tapioca are ONLY good immediately after adding it. I find it turns the food oddly gelatinous/rubbery and it never really comes back from that no matter the reheating method.

My way for making a gravy from pan drippings is to also have carrots, onions and chopped potato under the meat while cooking. When it's time to make gravy, blend those super-soft veggies into the pan drippings with some salt and pepper. If you only have broth available, steam onion and cauliflower until super soft. Then use a stick blender and buzz it into the broth with some seasonings until you get the consistency you want.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

I find it turns the food oddly gelatinous/rubbery and it never really comes back from that no matter the reheating method.

My way for making a gravy from pan drippings is to also have carrots, onions and chopped potato under the meat while cooking. When it's time to make gravy, blend those super-soft veggies into the pan drippings with some salt and pepper. If you only have broth available, steam onion and cauliflower until super soft. Then use a stick blender and buzz it into the broth with some seasonings until you get the consistency you want.

LOL... I've never had my stew turn rubbery... maybe you use too much?

A friend of mine makes the same type of blitzed gravy that you do... seems to work great!

I use arrowroot powder regularly and it's worked great. Mix it with just a bit of cold water or broth - less than you really think you need to dissolve it - then add it to whatever you're thickening. Never had a problem! (Caveat: it doesn't seem to re-heat all that well. It loosens up. So not great if you want leftovers. I'm still experimenting with ways to fix that.)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that recipe looks tasty!  Thank you for posting it, I'd like to try that one myself.  

This may be a matter of personal taste, but I think the thickener can be skipped.  You've got a fattier cut of meat that is going to make a nice amount of liquid.  I often think the liquid alone makes a better sauce/gravy without a thickening agent, as you get the full flavor of the dish.   

Archived