Recommended Pre and Post Workout Meals

Nlstir

Hello! I am on Day 2 of my Whole30 and am still feeling quite excited about this adventure! There is something I am a little stumped on and would love input from experienced people. 

Even before starting this program, I always work out (travel time included) from about 5:45 PM - 8 PM. Sometimes I get home closer to 8:30. (I include the times so people can see I am working out through typical dinner time). I have read throughout the materials that it is recommended to eat both a pre and post meal as well as dinner. I would normally eat lunch around 12:30 and then a pre workout something around 4:45. But then I come home from the gym, anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30, and will then eat a lighter but filling dinner (which follows our rules). I know it is not ideal to eat dinner that late, but that is just what my workout program has always allowed for. My question is: will it affect my results on the plan if I am NOT having a post workout meal AND dinner, but rather just the dinner?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I am just trying to ensure I understand everything and am correct in my behaviors. Thanks so much! :)

Ya, you'll be fine.  Keep an eye on your performance in the gym and your energy overall.  The pre- and post-WO meal recs are to prevent people from eating to little relative to their activity level and then crashing. It sounds like you are already comfortable eating in a way that fuels your workouts.

19 minutes ago, kirkor said:

Ya, you'll be fine.  Keep an eye on your performance in the gym and your energy overall.  The pre- and post-WO meal recs are to prevent people from eating to little relative to their activity level and then crashing. It sounds like you are already comfortable eating in a way that fuels your workouts.

Ok great, thanks. And what would you recommend I make sure is in my dinner/post workout meal? The same amount as is typically recommended for protein, fat and produce?

It seems to me, though I am definitely not an expert, that you should be eating a template meal at that point, making absolutely sure to get enough protein, and making sure that you eat enough to satisfy you, but not stuffed.  How long between when you eat and when you go to bed?

ThyPeace, could be that your breakfast and lunch will need to be larger relative to your other meals.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 4:22 PM, Nlstir said:

Ok great, thanks. And what would you recommend I make sure is in my dinner/post workout meal? The same amount as is typically recommended for protein, fat and produce?

Ya, same ratios would be fine, but if you're talking a weight workout as opposed to cardio, you could shift it with higher carbs and lower fat.

Size-wise, if you're thinking you need more food but want to keep the dinner relatively light, you can try a bigger breakfast the next day.  Muscle protein synthesis is elevated at least 24 hours post-workout.

Archived