Eccentrica just keeps gaining: My Whole30 results in one inexcusably long and detail-heavy post!

Eccentrica

Warning! Go grab some protein, veg and a thumb of fat, and then prepare to hunker down. This could take a while.

This is Day 31 for me, so I it's time to tally up, and — wow! — I've gained a lot.

And it's all good.

Here are my non-scale victories, or at least the ones I've noticed along the way...

Asthma: I only used my inhaler a couple of times during the first week, and I haven't used my nebulizer at all during my W30. I'm literally breathing easier.

Bumps: I used to have small bumps on my inner arms. I had for many years. They were sort of like pre-hives; they only needed a scratch to instantly turn red, angry and itchy. But they're gone now.

Inflammation: This one is big. Usually (due to Lupus, arthritis, benign tumors in my spine and other issues), a day of extreme activity would require days of rest and recovery. I just did a 13-hour visit to Disney last weekend, complete with 7.5 miles of walking. My feet and shins were sore, as almost anyone's would be, but I was able to get out a do the shopping and all of the prepping and cooking in the kitchen the next day just fine.

woah.gif

I know!

Headaches: Other than a few days of headaches in the first week, which included one migraine, I've been headache-free.

Lupus: I experienced one intense flare during my W30 (brought on by a very stressful external event). It was awful, but ... OK? I didn't expect any miraculous elimination of flares, but it was days shorter than I expected. I'll take it.

Mental outlook: I’m in a much better mood most of the time and somewhat less anxious. I was dealing with increased depression and ongoing anxiety issues when I started. I credit the improvement to W30 and to the addition of a cup of Natural Calm + chamomile tea every day (which I call my hot cup of Calm the F*** Down). I started the Natural Calm about a week into the program to keep my magnesium and calcium up, after reading recommendations for it here.

Energy: While I still struggle in this area in general, I've had moments of Tiger Blood, a bit of kitten juice and fewer cat naps. I feel like I'm ready to start incorporating more regular exercise in my routine, and that's a biggie.

Kitchen: Hey, NSVs extend beyond the body, so this counts! Despite the fact that I'm prepping and cooking constantly, my kitchen has never been cleaner or looked better. I found that reorganizing it and keeping it really tidy as I go was the only way to maintain sanity during this W30.

Appliances: I'm actually using all of those appliances that just gathered dust on a shelf. My Vitamix and Instant Pot, for instance, both get near-daily workouts now and are finally justifying the money spent on them.

Cooking: I love to cook. Sure, I'd love not to cook quite as much as I have over the past 30 days, but I still. Having new restrictions sparked a new wave of creativity in the kitchen for me. No matter where my eating habits go from here, I've created some meals that will definitely stay in the permanent rotation.

Inspiring my husband: He isn't doing W30, and he still loads up on junk food at work. But he's happy to eat any W30 food I make at home and really enjoys it. At least I know half his fuel is good fuel. He's even considering going paleo soon. And he's helping out a lot more around the house, since he sees how busy I've been in the kitchen these last few weeks (and plan to continue to be). He's actually doing more than his share.

A sense of pride: I'm proud that I did this. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done. I doubted the process at times, but I never doubted that I would see it through.

I mean, I made it through a family tragedy, a painful flare, a brunch with girlfriends, a visit to my favorite greasy-spoon diner, a trip to the state fair and freakin' Disney World without caving in to cravings!

giphy.gif

Now, about that scale... I had a victory there, too.

I lost 18 pounds. (And for those of you currently doubting your own mid-W30 progress, I'd like to point out that around the middle of Week 2, I was convinced I was gaining weight.)

I have no idea about inches, since I didn't measure beforehand, but I look leaner and feel leaner.

And this isn't over!

Both the W30 book and the site mention that those living with chronic illness and autoimmune diseases are likely to benefit by going beyond 30 days, since it may take longer to get the full effect of this reboot. I'm not going to walk away from the opportunity to gain more benefits from this. I've got so much room for improvement still.

So, for now, I'm not calling it a W45 or W60 or W-hatever. I'm just going to keep going until it feels right to start my slow-roll reintroductions, and then that will eventually evolve into my new normal.

Now, here's my completely unsolicited advice to anyone who might read this while considering starting their own Whole30 adventure: Don’t try to do a Whole30. Don't attempt a Whole30. Don't give it shot or see what happens and definitely don't hope you can do it. Commit! Make an absolute vow to yourself. You *will* do a Whole30.

Acknowledge that it will be tough at times, rewarding at others. Take comfort in all of those pesky rules, because they take away the guesswork. And do it! Bring it on!

14.gif

Honestly, I think that's 90% of the key to succeeding at this — making that real commitment. Then when you face the inevitable difficult moments and temptations, it won't be made harder by struggling with that decision. You've already made the decision.

Good luck everyone! And good luck to me as I keep going!

Great post and great success story, congratulations on completing Whole30. It took me 2 previous attempts which lasted until about day 8 and finally on my third attempt did I make it to day 30. Months have passed since then and reading your advice now, I certainly wasn't ready at the end of my 30 days to be on my own. I'm intending to start another Whole30 next month and this time will do it until my body tells me that I'm ready, it's like taking the training wheels of your bike.

Thank you for sharing your success and your advice.

3 hours ago, Susi said:

Great post and great success story, congratulations on completing Whole30. It took me 2 previous attempts which lasted until about day 8 and finally on my third attempt did I make it to day 30. Months have passed since then and reading your advice now, I certainly wasn't ready at the end of my 30 days to be on my own. I'm intending to start another Whole30 next month and this time will do it until my body tells me that I'm ready, it's like taking the training wheels of your bike.

Thank you for sharing your success and your advice.

Thank you! And best of luck next month, when you launch your next W30. It's always good to know that if we take off those training wheels too soon, we know how to put them back on again when we need to!

• 2 weeks later...
On March 8, 2017 at 7:45 PM, Eccentrica said:

lost 18 pounds. (And for those of you currently doubting your own mid-W30 progress, I'd like to point out that around the middle of Week 2, I was convinced I was gaining weight.)

What a great post, thanks for sharing it. And i think your comment above is really motivating for anyone who's considering quitting because they haven't seen the results yet. 

I'm halfway through my first W30. I haven't noticed much benefit yet but I'm determined to keep going to the end.  Posts like yours help reinforce the idea that we're on the right track. 

Archived