Starting March 12

fritzy

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,  what a great thread so far.  I am starting my second whole30 today -March 13.  I went (without a cheat) 28 days on whole30 and deliberately took this last weekend off because of a weekend away (poor planning).  I already knew and committed to restarting (from day 1)my whole30 on Monday.  Last time I was not on a thread and am looking forward to to encouragement from everyone this time.  My family (husband, two boys, parents & siblings) are on board with me.  I am thankful for them but would love to hear from you all too.  

Hi all!

I am also starting my first round of whole 30 today! I feel very prepared, but at the same time unprepared. This morning I overslept and didn't have time to make my breakfast or lunch. Fortunately there's a whole30 compliant lunch place near me where I can grab a make-your-own salad. This morning was a learning experience that I should probably try to have some pre-made breakfast stuff in my freezer to just reheat on mornings like these! I live alone and will be doing this on my own! 

Hey guys! I've done several rounds of W30, the last being in January...Each round has moved me SLOOOOWWWLLLY towards my ultimate goal of peace with food. I struggle mightily with using food to deal with *everything* in life: stress, procrastination, anxiety, chaos, TIREDNESS....I would say boredom but my life doesn't contain much of that, unfortunately. I am excited to find this thread, because I'm starting today (the 13th) and I didn't think anyone else would be starting mid-month...

Lots of great thoughts on here already! I can relate to the chocolate muffin story-I failed that test on Sunday and ate a brownie I did not want because a friend basically shoved it down my gullet-but really it was my responsibility to say 'I'm already full, but that looks amazing!" or whatever.

My goals this time around are to lose a few pounds (I will be honest) but mainly to get to a point where it feels natural to take care of my needs (other than actual hunger) in non-food ways. The structure of the w30 takes away my crutches and makes me actually learn new skills.

My word of encouragement for the day would be for those starting this for the first time-if you mess up in the first few days, when there is so much to learn, DON'T QUIT!! I've lost count of the number of partial whole 30's I've done, and it took me many false starts to make it through 30 days, but this program really does change your life if you let it.

1 hour ago, asbren13 said:

Hi all!

I am also starting my first round of whole 30 today! I feel very prepared, but at the same time unprepared. This morning I overslept and didn't have time to make my breakfast or lunch. Fortunately there's a whole30 compliant lunch place near me where I can grab a make-your-own salad. This morning was a learning experience that I should probably try to have some pre-made breakfast stuff in my freezer to just reheat on mornings like these! I live alone and will be doing this on my own! 

Welcome asbren! I suspect we are going to come across a lot of learning experiences, Please continue to share! 

Not sure if you have a microwave accessible at your work place, but something I do in the mornings if I am running late is grab 2 eggs (carefully place them in a Tupperware container so they don't break on your way or quick crack them into the Tupperware container and bring) Grab a tomato/avocado/zucchini or whatever the easiest vegetable to grab is. Once I am settled in to work I quick run to the break room cut up the veggie and throw it in with the eggs and microwave for 1 1/2 -2 minutes.

I keep Sea Salt, Pepper, and of course Hot Sauce in my desk at all times. :) I never ever would have thought to make eggs in the microwave, but now that I know its a game changer!!! 

Way to go having a back up salad joint mapped out though! You got this!!! 

Hey y'all! This board has so much energy and enthusiasm, LOVE IT! It's the morning of Day 1 for me, and I feel so pumped. 

@MtnGoat (and others) -- as far as how to quickly shut down questions about what you're doing and if it's a "diet" (yuck!)... In my circles, saying you're on a "detox" seems to be universally accepted and understood. While it might not be 100% accurate to define what we're doing, it's much easier than saying "I'm cutting out grain, sugar, alcohol, processed food..." because then (the uninitiated) people might look at you like you're nuts, or on some crazy-restrictive diet, which couldn't be farther from the truth. 

Another way to frame it: In certain situations, I've said in the past -- "For the next month, I'm trying to cook more and only eat food that I cook." I've said that I'm doing this to provide better food for my kids, to help THEM cut out the junk in their lives, etc., which is also true. 

However, the best advice I've gotten is to not even worry about crafting a response to people. Most of the time, you should just be able to say "no thanks!" and move on. If you don't make a big deal over it, others won't either. 

Day 2 started pretty rough, but I am hanging in there ! Reading all of these posts has sincerely lifted my spirits!  The Whole 30 is all about cutting out the toxins and irritants of food and alcohol, but I am also cutting out one of the grossest toxins of them all.... cigarettes!!! If anyone is dealing with or dealt with it in the past please share your success stories or tips for getting past the urges, I need Help!!!! 

I have been ready to quit for some time just like I have been ready to get healthier and lose weight so this whole 30 only makes sense, but there is a tiny voice in the back of my head freaking out telling me that I am NUTS to think I could cut out cigarettes and junk food all at the same time! 

There's those emotional responses to food we keep hearing about!  

I called a friend bright and early this morning because I barely slept since cravings were so strong. I told her I was struggling and her response was "don't you dare smoke a cigarette!" .... Well for anyone who has had to quit something they didn't want to, but knew they needed to the very first thing that popped into my head was .... Don't tell me what I can't do!!!! How insane is that!!!! She is trying to be supportive and I am now just more irritated and even closer to giving in! 

Sooooo what I need is for someone not to tell me don't do it, but encourage me and re-assure me that while I could chose to do it, I am stronger than that and deserve to not give in! (Even though I kinda, just told myself :) :P )

Thanks all!!!

Round 1, Day 2: Made it through Day 1 with barely a glitch, but the novelty is still there, and I'm used to some Whole30 compliant meals. Not having my normal healthy "frappuchino"/protein shake every morning is making me really sad. I did make the "perfect burgers" topped with avocado last night, with sweet potato fries and strawberries on the side and it was delicious. But this morning the next 28 days beyond this one seem boring and restrictive. I'm working to get my mental game on. I'm trying to stay "present" and not overthink things. The menu is planned and life goes on...

I'm on day 4 and, oooh, I'm grumpy. I ate my lunch around 2 and I'm ravenous again and there's candy *everywhere* at work. I have leftover chicken, a sweet potato, and grapes for dinner and it's all I can do from eating it three hours early. I can't wait for this phase to pass. 

5 minutes ago, LibrarianMM said:

I'm on day 4 and, oooh, I'm grumpy. I ate my lunch around 2 and I'm ravenous again and there's candy *everywhere* at work. I have leftover chicken, a sweet potato, and grapes for dinner and it's all I can do from eating it three hours early. I can't wait for this phase to pass. 

Have you seen the meal template? If you have template meals you will be able to go 4-5 hours between meals (or more). Make sure you have 1-3 cups of vegetables (I.e. fill your plate) and don't skimp on the fats as they help keep you satisfied. 

'When you are ravenous and it's 3 hours until your next meal, eat a mini meal of protein, fat and veggies or 2 of the 3. But template meals really will keep you going. 

Confession: I am Sick. Of. Vegetables. :P But I will soldier on. I did a BUNCH of cooking today. Crockpot Butter Chicken (that has NO butter in it... :blink:), chicken, bacon, and sweet potatoes also in a crock pot, with buffalo sauce (chicken stock, compliant hot sauce, clarified butter), and most of the components of shepherd's pie to take to my Mom & Dad's on Sunday. I made half regular potatoes and half mashed cauliflower for one side (my Mom doesn't like sweet potatoes), and half sweet potatoes and half cauliflower for the other side (my Dad's favorite). Tossed it all in the freezer for now, and will grab and go as needed. I tend to cook big and freeze in serving sizes. That makes mornings SO easy! I'm not a huge egg lover, so non-egg breakfasts are a must. 

Lots of great stuff posted here! I find that it's easier to do this "with" others. We can find encouragement, offer support, and share some great ideas for making things quicker and easier. So much better than battling through it on our own. 

Almost done with day 3 and I am still in the ravenous phase. Can. Not. Get. Enough. To. Eat. It may have to do with breastfeeding, but I'm thinking more with my lack of vegetable (filler) intake & water dosage. All I can think about today is going to my pantry and tearing into a bag of ritz, or two. (Because the hubs isn't on board, I didn't clean out the house...yet!) And I failed to plan dinner, so for me it's eggs and a sweet potato. 

Please do share any easy, delicious recipes you come across! 

I started March 12 too! I'm so excited I've done a lot of research & read 4 of their books. Day 1 & 2 have not been bad. I have been prepping myself by slowing removing a lot of the things we are not eating for the next 30 days so I'm hoping day 4 is not the killer everyone I know has been telling me about. 

1 hour ago, alexd8 said:

Day 2 and I feel GREAT! Haven't hit the hangover yet, so knock on wood for tomorrow :P Made my own almond milk today too! Super fun :)

Ugh you just made me jump into the Kill every thing stage Hahaha just kidding :D Good for you, hope tomorrow is equally awesome for you!

2 minutes ago, Dannelle said:

Ugh you just made me jump into the Kill every thing stage Hahaha just kidding :D Good for you, hope tomorrow is equally awesome for you!

OH NO!!!!! hahhahaa I'm not excited for that phase to ensue in a couple days. Just trying to stay strong!! You got this! 

Haha... I shared part of that "what to expect" list with my hubby. He was seriously sneaking around the door when he came home from work today...making sure I didn't slip ahead to the "kill all the things" phase. We had a good laugh, but mostly because I'm not there yet. Unfortunately, I didn't commit to W30 until after menu planning and shopping for the next week and a half. So I'm making two different dinners every night for a while. (I could have made their meal W30 for me, but it's one of their favorites and I needed to get some extra protein made for my lunches.) It's working right now since things are slower during Spring Break, but this isn't something I want to do long term. Made the 'perfect seared chicken breasts' tonight (these are really good!) and had that with zoodles and tomato sauce I seasoned for marinara, then blackberries for "dessert". I'd love to know what you all are eating for inspiration to add variety when I get stuck in a rut (which I'm apt to do).

5 hours ago, Karib52 said:

Almost done with day 3 and I am still in the ravenous phase. Can. Not. Get. Enough. To. Eat. It may have to do with breastfeeding, but I'm thinking more with my lack of vegetable (filler) intake & water dosage.

How many meals are you eating @Karib52?

As a BFing mum we'd expect you to be eating four template meals, or at least three plus a snack/mini meal or two, and many BFing mums also sip on coconut milk throughout the day... Be sure to include lots of healthy fats, and a serving or two of starchy veg each day to keep your supply up & drink more than the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

I'm looking ahead at my calendar and I'm going to be traveling and going to an academic conference in another state on days 13-16 and I have no idea how I'm going to do this without being able to cook for myself. There's only so much I'll be able to bring with me. I also live in the middle of nowhere and don't have access to Whole Foods or similar stores where I can purchase compliant food to-go (like jerky, etc.). :(

Will you be driving @LibrarianMM? If so you can easily pack a crate of compliant foods - tinned chicken & fish, pouches of olives, jars of pickled veg & veg (like peppers, zucchini, artichokes) in oils, hardy veg, avocados, & some boiled eggs for instance and you can throw together a couple of meals...

Good morning! I'm super excited to see all the posts on this thread...I second the comments of the moderator regarding nursing moms...I have *a lot* of kiddoes and therefore a bit of experience in this dept ;) although I have never done a w30 while nursing. You have to listen to your body and you need A Lot of good fat...One thing I noticed yesterday is how thirsty I get, probably because of the extra roughage, and how easily I can translate "thirst" as "hunger"....in other words, if I am dehydrated, I have a lot more cravings. I really appreciate how much the w30 helps me to get in touch with what my body is actually needing...

Archived