Breakfast and Lunch Help

mollyv5

1 minute ago, mollyv5 said:

Any suggestions?

The left overs of what you're having for dinner?

Seriously, there are no Whole30 'breakfast' dishes - at least none that we'd recommend... The best approach is to stop thinking in terms of breakfast, lunch, & dinner, and start thinking in terms of meals 1, 2, and 3 - so anything you'd eat for meals 2 or 3, you can eat for meal 1 as well.

That way the world is your oyster - and yes, oysters work well too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I find Pinterest a great source for finding recipe ideas. Some with a little adjustmenst. 

One of them I find really easy in the morning and is this one:

• 1 or 2 sliced bananas
  • 1/4 cup coconutmilk
  • handful of pecans 
  • 1 tbs shredded coconut
  • little cinnamon

Mix together in a microwaveproof bowl. Heat 60 seconds in the microwave. Eat! :-)

9 minutes ago, MissHardy said:

I find Pinterest a great source for finding recipe ideas. Some with a little adjustmenst. 

One of them I find really easy in the morning and is this one:

• 1 or 2 sliced bananas
  • 1/4 cup coconutmilk
  • handful of pecans 
  • 1 tbs shredded coconut
  • little cinnamon

Mix together in a microwaveproof bowl. Heat 60 seconds in the microwave. Eat! :-)

Yeah, whilst technically compliant this is really no bueno.... Have you seen the recommended template of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (when what we really mean is FILL YOUR PLATE), and a generous serving of fat? This meal is lacking in both protein & veg, is heavy on the fat, and will set you up for a blood sugar spike, swiftly followed by a crash, and isn't really in the spirit of Whole30 as it's kind of an attempt at recreating a breakfast cereal type dish.

Be very wary of taking ideas from Pinterest or Instagram unless they are from official Whole30 accounts - MANY recipes that claim to be Whole30 are not at all.

Protein, fat & veggies. Three times a day. For the absolute best results.

Thanks @jmcbn !

I did have some compliant ham (don't know the name of it in English) and mango with it. But with another look that's probably not the best thing either.
But thanks to your reply I'm going to think of a way how to adjust it by skipping some ingredients and complement it with protein and veg.

Hi) I want to share u my a bit cheat meal recipe.It is a quick and tasty. Of course,it includes chicken how without it?))Called "Chicken-in-a-pot".Ingredients: 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 5-cm chunks 2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced 4 long strips lemon zest 4 sprigs fresh dill, plus 2 tbsp. chopped 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 tsp salt, plus additional for seasoning 4 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed ( 1.1-1.25kg ) 500ml chicken stock. After training when I don't have desire or time to cook.have it, don't be scared it will take not more than 30 mins.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm only on day 2 but I made some mini quiches in a muffin pan using 1 egg per quiche, spinach, artichokes and sun dried tomatoes and I've been eating 3 with a handful of olives and clementines.  So far it's been keeping me full and what's nice is you can change up the veggies to whatever you like and swap the olives for avocado or cashews or whatever you like.

I'm on day 14 and my husband is on day 21.  We really learned, just this week to always make MORE so that you can get creative with meals.  When we grill meat- we grill the whole package and started buying bigger packages of meat.  We grilled 6 turkey burgers for 2 of us on Tuesday.  This morning I had a turkey burger patty (half for me, whole for him), tomato, half an avocado, and an over easy egg with a touch of Franks hot sauce on top (and a side of fruit).  The other day we grilled steak for dinner but also a package of chicken breasts since the grill was on...was perfect for chicken salads, chicken with eggs, chicken stir-fry- you get the point.  It took us awhile to figure out how to make our lives a little easier while doing the Whole30 (we have 3 kids not following Whole30) and this is one trick.  If you haven't started yet...just always make more so that your "breakfast" options are easy to throw together.   Another find this week is Aidells(sp?) apple chicken sausage.  Slice it up and mix with eggs and veggies for an awesome easy breakfast.  Hope that helps.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mollyv5! 

You didn't mention exactly when you were starting - so you could be completely finished by now!  So this post may be for you, or for others who are new, who haven't started yet, or who need some ideas. :) 

Day 24 (and 7) for me.  (I had to start over due to a horrible and unfortunate not-reading-a-label fiasco.  I posted my experience under the forum: Start Here --> Join the Whole30.)

I also had a hard time breaking out of the mindset of having to eat "breakfast" foods for breakfast.  Before starting Whole30, I had actually become intolerant to eggs for about 9 months - which actually really helped me "think outside the breakfast box."  Sometimes what I will do is make a crock-pot meal, but I'll start it the night before - turning it on as I go to bed.  That way - when I wake up, I have a hot and delicious meal all ready to go!  (And my husband has something HEALTHY to take for lunch as well.)  I've done Beef Stew in the crock, and even this very morning - I had BBQ Pulled Pork with the BBQ Sauce from the W30 Cookbook!  It was pretty delicious!  I also tend to run behind in the morning, so W30 has really helped me plan ahead and have my breakfasts and lunches ready the night before.

(Do you have the W30 Cookbook?  If not, I would HIGHLY recommend it.  I got the Whole30: 30-Day Guide book on Amazon for $18, which includes a whole bunch of recipes as well as great info.  And I just realized, they have another cookbook that I am totally going to go buy right now.) 

One of my FAVORITE breakfast meals that I eat quite often because it's so good is Breakfast Potatoes (they call them hash browns in the recipe), with Breakfast Sausage and Hollandaise Sauce.  I posted the link to the Breakfast Potatoes below.  For the sausage, I've used fresh ground pork from Whole Foods, but I found that I actually prefer using Ground Beef - but still use the same seasonings for the breakfast sausage from the book.  It's got a lot of great flavor that way.  And for the Hollandaise Sauce - again - from the book!  It makes quite a bit so you'll have some leftover, which is great to pop in the fridge.  Because of the ghee, when you refrigerate the sauce, it solidifies to the consistency of butter - so it's nice to just take a dollop of it, toss it on my potato and sausage mix, and warm it all in the microwave.  I generally will make enough of everything to have it for several breakfasts.

For lunch - I generally eat leftovers also.  When I'm making dinner, I usually plan to make enough so I have lunch the next day, which also helps me prepare ahead of time.  I DO love the crock pot meals - which help with ANY meal that I need to fill.

I think the biggest thing is making sure you have enough protein and veggies prepared ahead of time so you have them for any meal, and you don't get stuck in a pinch where you need something quick and have nothing prepared on plan.  That way you can also mix and match for several meals, and/or have things prepared in a pinch.  If I make hamburgers, pork chops, chicken breast, taco meat (ground beef or turkey), crock pot meals, etc., I pretty much ALWAYS make extra so I have some on hand.  I will also make large batches of veggies so I have those too.  I have a sensitive digestive system, so I generally eat cooked veggies.  I will make quite often, large batches of a sauteed Italian seasoned zucchini and squash medley that my mom actually came up with, but it's totally on plan!  (I'll attach the recipe).  Or mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower, roasted carrots, etc.  

My one suggestion - don't burn yourself out eating the same things over and over!  I found myself getting into a rut and getting bored with the food I was eating, which caused me to have cravings for off-plan foods - which I didn't eat - but I got a little frustrated for a few days until I went back through the cookbook and tried some NEW recipes.

Hope that helps!!!  :) 

GOOD LUCK!  

Breakfast Potatoes:  http://thedoitallmama.com/2016/04/whole-30-hashbrowns.html  (TIP!  I found that boiling them first just like the recipe calls for REALLY helps give them the right consistency.  I have also found that I prefer using less Paprika than it calls for.) 

Sautéed Italian Zucchini and Squash.pdf

Archived