All set to start March 15th...

JulieW917

Hi all, I started on the 15th as well, but just found this forum. I did a little mini 'practice' for 2 weeks before this, but knew it wasn't my real Whole 30 as was going to Savannah with my daughter and knew there would be alcohol and desserts involved (there were). So I started on my first day back.  My first Whole 30 then.  So far, so good! I cooked so much today, in prep for the week...that seems to be key for me. Egg frittata with loads of veggies gives me 4 breakfasts I don't need to think about. Made salmon cakes from the book today, with some avocado salsa and making lots of chicken breasts for dinner tonight, so I'll have left overs.  Happy to be here, share the experience, and learn anything I can from all of you!

@Yogagirl0716, thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the pre/post workouts. 

Yes, Day 4 is going well. I've been reading the whole30 cookbook and it's inspired some ideas. Tomorrow I'll pick up a butternut squash to make soup. That'll make lunch easy for a bit - and use up some chicken stock I have in my freezer. 

I also found mayonnaise recipes. For years I used yogurt as a mayo substitute, but with no dairy ... I'm interested. I never thought about what's IN mayo. Once made, the basic mayo lasts a week longer than the expiration date on the egg, yielding a little over two weeks. Change up the spices in the mayo and voila - instant variety. 

Last night I dreamed that I ate those thin pretzel sticks that come in a little cardboard box (think snack for kids). When I realized what I had done I was so upset! Then I woke up and it took me awhile to realize that I hadn't gone off plan.

They said that would happen but I didn't believe it! Hal!

Hey all!  hope  you don't mind me hopping in here too - Started March15th as well so coming onto day 6 tomorrow - was freakin exhausted today but cravings were fairly non-existent so I'll call that a win!  Hope everyone had a great weekend!!!

KimberlyT, I'm experiencing the same thing - I've slept 9-10 hours for the last few nights, and even took a nap on Saturday for an hour and a half! But it feels so good; I haven't experienced such deep sleep since I was pregnant!

The amazing thing to me is that my cravings are pretty much gone. When I was eating grains (a lot, as a vegan), I was hungry all the time and grazing while I worked from home. But that seems to have vanished, except for sometimes looking for that something sweet after a meal. I'm trying rooibos tea, as suggested and that seems to work.

Good luck on day 6 everyone! 

@KimberlyT and @Lori22, I appreciate reading your comments and the others in this thread. It's good to do this journey with others. 

It seems not only my cravings are gone, but my appetite. I just don't get hungry. I need to eat because of the time on the clock. I believe I read this on the Whole30 timeline a little over a week ago. I'm pretty okay with not being hungry. :D 

I am discovering bad habits that I didn't expect. That is, times I turn to food when I'm not hungry. It's just how I do it. Like picking up food items from the store and wanting to snack on the drive home. Yikes! Rooting out those habits is one of the reasons I'm doing the Whole30. Not just to root them out, but to change them.

I was sleepy off and on yesterday. I'm glad to have a sit/stand adjustable top on my desk. Standing takes care of sleepy.-_-

Ready4Results, I am right there with you. I'm noticing all the times I turned to food when I wasn't hungry. It's such a good exercise to see it and not act on it. (I did the car thing, too...what is it about 'treating' yourself after shopping??) I, too am eating by the clock, not always hungry, but trying not to mess with the program and just trust in the process.  

I'm still amazed that I'm not cheating on this program, have not given into any of those non-hunger signals, but am just seeing them, experiencing them, and moving on.  I've never really been able to do that for long before.

Happy day 8, everyone! How are you doing?

I'm sticking to my 3 a day and not snacking, which is pretty darned amazing for me. I feel great exercising, lighter and faster already.  Coming from a diet of lots of whole grains, veggies and fruit, I'm having some digestive woes eating meat and no grains, but hoping this will pass (haha).

Extreme tiredness seems to have passed and I'm not gritting my teeth at my husband's loud breathing any more.  Maybe tiger blood is starting??

I'm in this alone here, so please share your experience...it helps!

Hi all, 

I just found the forum and started W30 on the 15th too and hope I can join you here. I am living in a different time zone so will be around at different times. 
So far I feel the energy coming back to me, especially in the evenings, except for today. Day 8 for me is not so great. I have a sick toddler who got me out of bed multiple times for the last four days, so feel I can nod off anytime and it's just 3 pm. For the first times in months I had a little migrain attack. Wondering if it's sleep deprivation, caffein or the increased intake of nuts. I did have a headeache at day 3 and 4 but that felt different.

Fortunately I'm still able to keeping up with the program and feel I'm getting more and more comfortable with this meal planning thing, although I find it quite challenging making breakfast with a 2 y old toddler and a boy of 5 going to school. It definately takes more effort to make breakfast and lunch so I do miss my quick slice of bread or bowl of cereals in the morning. 

What do you guys eat for breakfast?

This has saved me,when it comes to breakfast: I made a frittata on Sunday, lots of eggs and tons of veggies.  It's so easy and it gives me breakfast for 4 days.  Just saute veggies in some oil, beat some eggs in a bowl, mix together and put into a pan oiled with ghee or coconut oil. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  I am loving this and so easy.  I just add a little fruit and coconut flakes and it's been the perfect breakfast.  Hope that helps!

@MissHardy, great to have you sharing this journey. Welcome!

I'm an egg person, so breakfast with eggs is easy. I add veggies like tomato, pepper, onion - even spinach. To save time, I sauté a skillet full of veggies and cook them less than necessary. I put the majority of the veggies in a storage container for the fridge, where they easily last a couple days. To finish up day one, I add the eggs and let them cook.  The next day is even easier. I just put a bit of oil in a skillet, finish sautéing part of the veggies from the fridge, add eggs, stir and in just minutes breakfast is ready in minutes. Easy

I plan to look for breakfast options that don't include eggs - for a bit of variety.

I used to alternate with oatmeal and dried fruit or nuts. Of course, that doesn't work on the Whole30, so reading recipes to see what strikes my fancy.

Thanks @Ready4Results! That also sounds like an easy time-saver. 

@Lori22 Do you prep just the veggies or also the frittata? Wondering how that keeps in the fridge.
Overall I find planning to make left overs one of the best things about this program. Makes it a lot easier to prep a meal. Especially when tired after a long day. 
I already sometimes make a big pan of pasta or a rice dish to save some time another day. But I never prepared so many different things on a lager scale.

Hi MissHardy, yes I do - I saute the veggies in some EVOO, then add to the eggs (beaten a bit), pour into a oiled dish (ghee) and bake. I do it in a deep dish pie pan and it works out great.  I let it cool completely, then cover it and put in the frig. Heat each slice for 2 mins in the microwave, add some hot sauce (coz I love it), maybe some compliant nutritional yeast if I'm feeling creative, and it is the best breakfast for 4 days!  Read about this on Pinterest and it has honestly saved me from that OMG, what am I going to eat, first thing in the morning.  Hope that helps!

Re: prep - two days a week, I try to prep a lot. For example, today I'll make baked and roasted sweet potatoes, butternut squash soup, roast some beets for salad later and some Brussels sprouts. Sounds like a lot, but really all the veg are roasted in the same oven. Just the soup is extra and I bought organic bn squash cubes, so that's easy.  Tonight I'll make a frittata, so I have breakfast always done, with no thinking involved early in the morning.  

I've also made the salmon cakes from the book - delicious and you can freeze them, so you always have some protein on hand.

Hi all,

Day 11 already! How are you feeling at this point?
Here in Holland the sun is shining bright and warm today. 

With the weekend ahead of us I would really like to enjoy a glas of wine today. 
Normally when we come back from work and have the kids picked up from school we like to have a drink and a few 'sort of healthy' snacks (olives with garlic and maybe a few other nibbles), just before we start cooking. Eventhough I know it often makes me a little droswy in an instant. But instead I'm going to have a soda with mint and am going to feel great afterwards. The hardest thing wil be the party we're going to tomorrow. But I'll keep the good cause in mind and just try to find some crudités to nibble.

Are you guys having difficulties adjusting to 'special' moments?

Day 11: Still going strong, but turned down an invitation this evening to keep me out of harms way. I attended an Open House with paleo dishes. How cool is that? I had to watch for grain, however - and ask about sweeteners, but the main event was grilled pork. THEN the invitation to the neighboring pub. Mmmmm. Not ready for that yet.

This week I made Butternut Squash Soup - and made a royal mess moving the squash from the pan to the blender and back. So, I'm now the proud owner of an immersion blender. I look forward to trying it out over the weekend.

Thanks to those of you who are reporting your struggles, wins and methods of navigating this. It's really great to know we're in this together!

Miss Hardy and Ready4Results,  could not agree more! Friday evenings are hard! First the call to go to happy hour (uh, sure, but not drinking), then out to dinner with friends (no food there for me), so my husband and I decide to stay home, make dinner and watch Ken Burn's The West. But first, the grocery store, where he buys all kinds of 'food' I won't (I won't! I won't!) eat, then wants to stop at The Fudge Shoppe - what?! Got through it and made some lovely grilled halibut and a salad with beets, orange and almonds. A nice cup of tea while watching the show. Success! But, damn, Friday evenings are hard.

Day 12: Saturday, Food Planning Day ... 

I made my first mayonnaise (new immersion blender) and it worked! However, I misread the recipe and included too little lemon juice and too much mustard, so it's not the best flavor. Okay then - this mayo is destined for hard boiled eggs and a sauce for the pork I bought at the grocery. 

So much meat! I'm not accustomed to all this meat, and I'm tired of ground beef. Yes, I eat eggs and I almost never tire of them for breakfast - but beyond breakfast, a different protein source is good. Back to grocery shopping and buying pork. This is new, and I'm finding I like the taste of pork. 

@Marianna, @Lori22, @MissHardy, @mainegirl6, @KimberlyT, @Yogagirl0716, @JulieW917, @Deborah56, @B.B. - Who's got some great ideas for meat sources? to keep variety?

I'm not much of a scale person, but nearly half way into the Whole30, I'd love to see if I've dropped some weight. No, I'm not getting on the scale. But it's fascinating to watch all the head stuff the Whole30 brings up.

@Ready4Results I don't eat red meat, but I have had a lot of ground turkey, one of our favorites is from the first whole 30 book, it is the stuffed peppers and I put tons of other veggies in it.  I don't stuff the peppers anymore just seasoned meat.  Some times I have it on additional spinach and eggs in the morning.  In Melissa Joulwan's well fed, there are many other ways to spice the ground meats.  I need to be a bit more adventurous.  I do a lot of sheet pan chicken thighs with roasted veggies.  The internet is full of marinade options.  At least once a week or twice a week I have shrimp or scallops.  Looking online or in cookbooks for compliant recipes.  I make the butternut squash soup and add langostino I get at Costco or Trader Joe's for protein.  I will also bake chicken tenders and use a dipping sauce.  Love the roasted red pepper, romanesco and sunshine sauce in whole 30 book.  Not sure this was helpful, just sharing.  My biggest struggle continues to be getting enough fat in every meal, and keeping to 1-2 servings of fruit.  Someone said how much is habits and in our heads and that certainly applies to me too.  

5 hours ago, Ready4Results said:

How's everyone doing? And though 30 days is a short time, I wonder ... what provides Vitamin D?

Oily fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines), oysters, mushrooms, shrimp, beef liver & egg yolks all provide vitamin D so if you include those in your food rotation you'll be getting way more on Whole30 than you would from a traditional SAD diet. Also, your skin will absorb vitamin D if you spend time outdoors as the weather moves into Spring & the sun makes a more regular appearance. That said, there's nothing to say you can't take a compliant D3 supplement.

We are 2/3 of the way there!  Hope everyone is starting to have some NSV's.   Would love to hear how everyone is doing.  I'm still not sleeping thru the night, but the quality when I am sleeping is much better.  I'm starting to plan my reintroductions.  Last time all I could think of was finishing and didn't plan well.  I'm not really craving anything other than wanting the rules to relax a bit.  I think I will do the recommended 10 day intro.  Anyone else thinking of reintroduction yet?   I still eat too much fruit, but not every day.  I focused on healthy fat each meal and that influenced me being satiated with smaller food portions in general.  A huge win is a guy in my yoga class asked what I had been doing because I looked great and if I could talk to he and his girlfriend about it.  

@Yogagirl0716, I appreciate the heads up for re-entry. At the moment, I'm quite satisfied with food intake and results. I've been increasing my workouts during the whole30 and notice a tighter core - part exercise and part whole30 I presume. I put a jacket on that is looser than it was previously. i'm delighted!

Whatever I do next needs to have weight loss components to it. 

I'll be looking for the 10 day intro, and I'm curious how my body will react to certain foods. 

Archived