Celebrating My Whole30 Rebirthday Today!

Holly T

GOALS:

I started the program with the intent to improve my inflammation levels while putting weight loss in the secondary column. I’m happy to report that I have not been disappointed!

LIFE BEFORE WHOLE 30:

- Seasonal allergies were literally out of control resulting in constant sinus pressure and pain.

- My right eustachian tube was diagnosed as "disfunctional" resulting in negative pressure, muffled hearing and inability to clear my ear after traveling by air.

- I was working around previously diagnosed food sensitivities (dairy, eggs, cane sugar and almonds), but not as strictly as before.

- All in all, my days were spent:

1.  Struggling to get out of bed.
  2.  Starting my day with a protein smoothie and big plans.
  3.  Literally forcing myself to accomplish said plans.
  4.  Lying on the couch in defeat.
  5.  Attempting to eat “clean” but failing more than succeeding.
  6.  Regaining the weight that I had lost in the last 2 years doing the “21 Day Fix” program.

LIFE AFTER WHOLE 30:

Inflammation:  Very pleased with the results in this category!

Day 1:  I notice a big change in my sinus inflammation. I was able to blow out 4x more than normal...like the gates opened in my head!

Day 7: I notice that my right ear could hear more clearly as my eustachian tube was opening up!

Day 10: My rings are sliding off and on more easily and I’m seeing my cheekbones again!

Day 12: My husband says I’m not snoring anymore!

Mood/Energy:  I had a few cranky days, usually on the weekend when I couldn’t have wine with a meal like salmon, steak, etc.

Day 2 - 8: Seemingly boundless energy! Maybe it’s because I had been eating better previously than I thought! I was so giddy with excitement about my new eating plan, my husband accused me of being drunk when he called on Day 6 on his way back home from a trip! Far from it!

Day 8 and on: I find I have great energy during the work week, but when Friday hits, I drop off. The weekends are the toughest!

Day 28+: Energy and motivation are steadily returning now since I’m sleeping better.

Food Relationship:  I had minimal cravings, but didn't deviate from the approved food list.

Day 1 - 3: Had some rough patches with working around my already-known egg sensitivity. Learned to make breakfast into Meal #1.

Day 4 - 8: Got into the groove of cooking on plan when my husband was on a SCUBA trip for a week. Upon his return, he remarked that "he never saw this for me" (meaning me cooking nearly every meal I ate!) I replied: "If this is what it takes to feel good, I'll do it!"

Day 14+: Got a little "burned out" on my basic cooking, so I tried to add in as much food variety as possible. Ordered in special condiments I couldn't find locally. Searched for compliant foods constantly. Roasted chickens twice a week and make bone broth to drink in the mornings.

Sleep:  Still a work in progress, but getting better and better! I generally go to bed earlier than before and wake up at 5:30 am.

Day 1-28: I would have trouble drifting off to sleep without the help of Melatonin, Magnesium, etc.

Day 28: I stopped drinking coffee after 1:00 pm, and my sleep has improved immensely!

Weight:  I “cheated” and stepped on the scale. (It did do a “head game” on me...no more weighing until Day 31!)

Day 9: Was down 2.7 pounds. Not as much as I would have guess with the inches lost!

Day 31: Lost a total of 7 pounds! Would like to lose maybe 5-7 more!

Body Size:  My trendy clothes have become my favorites again! Everything is fitting like it’s supposed to!

Day 7: Have lost 1” in my waist and abdomen, and 1/2” in hips already!

Day 9: Have lost 6.5” overall (1.5” in my abdomen now) and my back fat is disappearing!

Day 31: Down 12” overall (3” from my abdomen and 2” from my waist)

FUTURE PLANS:

I’m planning to stay closely in line with the Whole30 program, with occasional wine! As a matter of fact, tonight my husband and I will be celebrating my 58th birthday (a week late) with a compliant restaurant meal and some white vino! I had an outpatient surgical procedure the day before my birthday, and didn’t feel up to making it a full celebration at that time. Now, I think it’s time to celebrate my "rebirthday", with the help of the Whole30 plan!

Happy Birthday, Rebirthday, and congratulations!

As I'm reading through success stories, I see so many differences and similarities. I can't wait for mine. I'm on day 9 and loving it so far. I read these for inspiration to keep going. It seems easy right now (6 am) but about 3 pm almost every day I start to wonder for a moment. It's getting easier every day, though.

I like how you separated all the points I'm following on my own. I haven't written them like that in my log, but I should.

Do you have a log of what you ate already up on this site? I'm curious about your recipes. I'm getting a bit challenged by the cooking with so many mouths in my house asking for different things (A. a vegetarian, B. someone afraid to eat any nuts, corn, beans, or anything little -it's only a phobia, not an allergy, C. an underweight cancer fighter, and D. me on whole 30. Then there's my husband who will eat anything. Thank goodness for him!)  I'm always looking for new ideas and thankfully I love to cook.

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

@AbcdFirst of all, thank you for the nice compliment on my layout! I'm a graphic designer by trade, so I always strive to make information more inviting to the reader!

I didn't keep a strict eating log. I've had to do that too many times before (Weight Watchers, 21 Day Fix, etc.) and I get bogged down by it. I can share some of the better recipes, though! My husband has enjoyed them, and he's not even formally doing the plan (he won't give up his precious dairy...lol).

Wow! You have a lot of food variables in your household! I was fortunate that I only have to please me! My children are grown, and my husband is somewhat picky, but will eat what I make or find his own food! My older brother fought cancer, and I recall him saying that it was a challenge for him to eat healthy as his tastes changed dramatically because of the treatments. He wanted comfort foods, his family wanted him to eat kale!

The Whole30 recipes that I go to again and again are:

• Melissa's Chicken Hash
  • Tomato Sauce with Ground Beef with Roasted Spaghetti Squash
  • Roasted Whole Chicken (and be sure to make Bone Broth)
  • Ground Beef or Chicken Breast Homemade Taco Seasoning with Black Olives, Compliant Salsa, Sliced Avocado on a Bed of Mixed Greens
  • Compliant Guacamole with a Can of Compliant Tuna (watch out, some contain soy!) and Carrot Sticks
  • Shoestrings or Thinly Sliced "Chips" Made Out of Yellow or White Sweet Potatoes, Toss in Olive Oil, Season and Bake on Parchment at 425 degrees.

For the Roasted Chicken my favorite method so far is to mix pressed garlic, salt, seasonings with clarified butter and put globs under the skin of the chicken and rub remainder on outside of chicken. Truss the chicken and let rest in the fridge for 2-24 hours, roast at 300 degrees for 2 hours.

Good compliant Taco Seasoning recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/46653/taco-seasoning-i/?internalSource=hub recipe&referringContentType=search results&clickId=cardslot 2 I use 2 Tablespoons seasoning per pound of browned ground beef. Add 1 teaspoon per pound of Arrowroot Powder (for thickening) and 2/3 Cup water. Heat 3-5 minutes.

I hope of these become your favorites, too! Good luck!

Holly,

Thank you so much! I look forward to trying these out.

My husband, the only one of the folks in my house who doesn't have special food needs, has decided to do Whole 30 with me. He's even stopped scarfing down cheese. I can't believe it! Anyway, he'll have a great time with these suggestions, too.

Thanks!!

Anne

Archived