Sauces to use as a fat

km12021112

Hi all!

I'm hoping you can pass on some of your favorite fatty sauces or dip recipes!  I'm having to stop avocado and coconut milk because I seem to be very sensitive to FODMAPS, and I'm in need of some flavorful fat alternatives. I like olives, but not all the time. I love mayo with many veggies, but mayo with eggs in the morning... not so much. 

I'd love to hear if any of you have a good mayo-based sauce or dip recipe that goes well with egg dishes, or any other very versatile fatty sauce or dip. The fewer ingredients, the better:)! I'd prefer something that I can make in batches and keep for several days, so if you could also include how long you store it, that would be really helpful! Also, if you post a favorite, please also include how you use it! Do you like your sauce with particular kinds of veggies, certain meats, only fish, or anything and everything?

Thank you all so much!

KM

Mayonnaise is the only recipe for a fat that I've ever attempted, despite doing three w30s. When I'm not eating coconut, olives, mayo or avocado, sometimes I just simply drizzle olive oil or plop a blob of ghee onto my food and boom-- added fat.

If you're looking for something a little more put together, try "ranch"ish, sunshine sauce, garlic aioli, or Russian dressing. For the "ranch"ish dressing, I just take a blob of my homemade mayo and add garlic powder/onion powder/fresh cracked black pepper/dried parsley to taste. For garlic aioli, I take a blob of my mayo and just add garlic powder, and mix well. Russian dressing can be easily accomplished with mayo and tomato paste with salt/pepper to taste. These three are amazing for dipping-- shrimp, burgers, eggs, veggies, potatoes, fish, poultry-- you name it!

The recipe for sunshine sauce can be found online at the Well Fed website here. I've never made the sunshine sauce myself, but people swear by it here on the forums.

I make a double batch of mayo each week (2 eggs, 2 tbsp lemon juice, salt, pepper, and about 1.5-2 cups compliant oil). That usually lasts me and my husband 1 week. Then we flavor servings per meal. I like to add curry powder and use it with chicken salad or egg salad. Zaatar is a middle eastern spice blend that I like to add and use as a dip for meat or cauliflower. We add hot sauce or chipotle pepper and drizzle over chicken or taco salad. Add 1 cup mayo, 1/2 an avocado, like juice, salt, pepper, cilantro and cumin for a creamy dressing. 

A good bone broth is a valuable base for a lot of different sauces.    After I make stock, I pour it in to small containers (8-16 ounces) and freeze what I don't use.  I freeze them in small containers so I can defrost 1 container for a sauce, or several containers for soups.    My own stock tends to vary with my whims and what's in my fridge, but there are some excellent recipes on a site dedicated to FODMAP-free eating.   IRemember the importance of using bones from well cared for animals.

Chicken stock is probably the easiest to make.  Its very convenient.  When I serve a whole chicken, I put a bowl on the table for the bones.  Bones and carcass then go in to the pot for stock.    It is also very versatile.   Its mild flavor blends in with a variety of dishes, whether they are meat-based or plant-based.  

Brown stock adds a layer of complexity, as the bones need to be roasted before going in to the stock pot.  This what actually gives the brown stock its brown color.

A common European sauce is sauce espagnole, or  brown sauce.  (Not to be confused with brown stock.)   Brown sauce is made chiefly from aromatic vegetables, and serves as  a base for many European sauces and dishes.  

One of the finest sauces in the world, demi-glace, is made by combining brown sauce and brown stock.   

Stock can be made from pork bones as well, although personally I find this to be too high in fat for my tastes.    Refridgerating the stock and removing the layer of fat that rises to the top will remove some fat from the stock, but quite a bit remains incorporated in to the broth -- especially when the bones are chopped to expose the marrow inside. 

Remember stocks and sauces are just a base.  Add to them and change them about as you like. :) 

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2017 at 10:39 PM, TryingOver said:

I make a double batch of mayo each week (2 eggs, 2 tbsp lemon juice, salt, pepper, and about 1.5-2 cups compliant oil). That usually lasts me and my husband 1 week. Then we flavor servings per meal. I like to add curry powder and use it with chicken salad or egg salad. Zaatar is a middle eastern spice blend that I like to add and use as a dip for meat or cauliflower. We add hot sauce or chipotle pepper and drizzle over chicken or taco salad. Add 1 cup mayo, 1/2 an avocado, like juice, salt, pepper, cilantro and cumin for a creamy dressing. 

This is a good reminder. I usually just use my mayo plain as a dip for proteins and veggies because the flavor is so amazing with the fresh lemon juice, cracked black pepper and sea salt. I recently bought a ton of spices online though, so thank you for the reminder to add them to my mayo to kick up the flavors of my dips!

Archived