Starting March 20th Newbie

Tiffany1588

I am super nervous. This is my first Whole30. I'm afraid i'm going to mess up. I'm 29 and currently in college to get a Bachelor's for fitness and nutrition. I know what i need to do but I just have a hard time doing it. I think I could very well have a food addiction. I'll eat things in private so no one will know and i'm very unhappy about that. I want to be the healthiest and happiest I can be but I sabotage myself all the time. I'm hoping that doing this will help me get a better grip on eating and the control food seems to have on me. Any tips or advice or words of encouragement are welcome. 

Hi Tiffany,

I am starting today and I definitely get where you are coming from. I also have issues with food where I eat in private so no one knows about it and frequently sabotage my own efforts to get healthier and lose weight. It's good to be able to admit where your issues are so you can plan how to deal with them effectively. Good luck on your journey!

Hi Tiffany! Oh my goodness, I can totally relate. My sweet teeth (note, I have many, not just one) are out of control. I can eat an entire 1.5 quart tub of Rocky Road in one sitting! And I was doing so on a regular basis! 

We CAN change this though! Let's slay our sugar dragons and other food demons and learn to have a positive relationship with food! 

I haven't done this before so I'm hardly en expert but I have thought about starting for an entire year and have learned  a lot. Here's what I would offer as advice:

• Read It Starts With Food so you understand why all the rules are in place. I have a hard time following rules that don't make sense and this cleared it all up for me!
  • If you can afford it, buy compliant dressings, sauces, condiments, etc. It's so hard and time-consuming to do all the meal prep so buying some things makes it so much easier! 
  • If you're on Instagram, join Whole30Recipes for a fun new recipe every day. And join Whole30Approved for lots of pre-made stuff that is compliant! 

Don't let yourself believe you're going to fail! We can do this! Let's support each other and get it done! 

Hi I am starting my second round of whole30 today. I did complete round one on March 7th but messed up the reintro which I think is really the most important part so I will be doing it again and do reintro properly at the end of this. You can do it just plan your meals if you can or just have things available to quickly make a meal.

I can so relate to the food issues and "sweet teeth" :) Today is my first day and I've managed to stay on track even with a lunch invitation and Starbuck chai tea latte both of which I turned down. I feel full when I eat but a couple of hours later I'm starving. I did bring a mini-meal with me for pre-workout which it appears I'm going to need. I'm drinking water and herbal tea but hoping I figure out the food balance soon so I'm not pre-occupied with food. I did read "It Begins with Food", "Food Freedom" and "The Whole30" prior to beginning but I laid awake last night driving myself crazy with meal plans because I thought I could keep it simple enough to not need detailed food plans every day (I will be working on this tonight so hopefully I can sleep).

@Hockey4Life, I didn't sleep well either! I ran out of time last night and didn't make my breakfast so I set an early alarm to get up and make it, but then kept waking up in the middle of the night thinking I had slept through my alarm and wouldn't have time to make a healthy meal before I had to leave for work! 

Meal planning and prep is definitely the hardest part of this for me. My fiancee and I used to go to the grocery store almost every day because we go buy and then make whatever we are feeling in the moment. Which isn't that hard when it's a frozen pizza! But now that I have to actually carefully select ingredients and then prepare a well-balances meal, we're actually going to have to plan and then eat whatever it is that we planned for. It's a hard change in mindset! Plus, I hate the thought of giving up such a good portion of my previous Sunday to make food! Gah! 

Archived