Was kombucha W30 approved in the begining 2009?

AlwaysGr8ful

• Moderators

I've done some searching and I can't find much, altho that's not surprising... we don't keep copies or articles of old rules laying around much... it gets confusing for people.

I can say I found that ghee was not approved for use in 2009 and obviously white potatoes were out.... and this article was written in 2010 as V2.0 so it's probably as close as you can get unless you can find the V1.0 somewhere... 

http://whole9life.com/2010/05/whole-30-v2/

• Moderators

The answer to the kombucha question is likely that it would have been fine if you were making your own but it probably wasn't commercially available (or readily available) at the time of the first Whole30 so assume it's out.

When Dallas and Melissa did it the first time, it was just ingredients made into food.  There were very scant ready made products that would have worked and I believe from articles I"ve read, that it was just. food.  Meat, veggies and fats.  2009 had canned coconut milk, so that would be in if you want, but very very few other things you need to 'open' would have been around and compliant.  No Tessemae's, no nutpods, no kale chips, no premade cauli rice... 

Kicking it Old School, my kind of Whole 30.  That's the way I did it anyway.  I can only get so fancy.  We don't have all of the extras out here in the Old West. 

Wild game, wild fish, grassfed beef.  Vege, fruits and fats. Homemade bone broth, rendered kidney fat for cooking, homemade jerky, smoked fish.  

56 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

Kicking it Old School, my kind of Whole 30.  That's the way I did it anyway.  I can only get so fancy.  We don't have all of the extras out here in the Old West. 

Wild game, wild fish, grassfed beef.  Vege, fruits and fats. Homemade bone broth, rendered kidney fat for cooking, homemade jerky, smoked fish.  

Have any input fo us?  We truly want to do it the old school way.  Don't want to eat or do anything hat wasn't allowed in 2009.  Would appreciate any input you have for us.

23 minutes ago, AlwaysGr8ful said:

Have any input fo us?  We truly want to do it the old school way.  Don't want to eat or do anything hat wasn't allowed in 2009.  Would appreciate any input you have for us.

Bear is having a snoozefest. I'll come back when he comes out of hibernation. He does everything old school.  I forgot to add eggs up there.  We have access to farmers and ranchers, have our own beef/pork processed.  We catch our own fish and supplement with seafood. Make bonebroth by the gallons, store in individual servings for the freezer. Use it for cooking and sipping.  We don't normally cook anything with coconut milk so we don't use it.  We do have pints of canned clarified butter.

I really, really like what you're doing.  Going back to the well.  Not doin' the mess a'round. 

Compliant without complaint. You need to start your own group here who'd like to join you. Don't allow any whining, bawling and carrying on. :D  The serious suxing it UP, buttercups el groupin. It's going to be great. 

There's Paleo and there's pretty, pretty Paleo.  It takes wisdom to know the difference.

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/21528-affording-whole30whole9-lifestyle-on-a-budget/

For those in your group who cannot afford fancy ingredients, packaged everything - we gave tips here how to eat well for less.

Understood and appreciated that you may not have access to fishing or hunting.

Next. 

Remember these words...

26 October, 2015

The most often-quoted line in the entire Whole30 program is this one:

“It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard.”

If someone eats a non-compliant item, by accident or not -  START OVER.

No mincing of words or giving someone a pat on the back, it's alright...just keep going.  

No weighing on the scales.  Not even secretly while pretending they're not dieting but really, really are.

Don't count your steps while running around on the dreadmill. Don't count your calories or macros and micros. Don't count a cotton pickin' thing. No tracking.

Everything done in secret for the sake of weight loss, the truth will find you out.

No eating in tiddlywink amounts. Living on a chicken thigh, a frickity frick frick larabar - living on a prayer, a hope and a hand-me-down....while trying to outexercise all past dieting flops and failures. 

Eat real WHOLE foods in real amounts.  No snacking inbetween meals.

Be accountable to yourself in the midnight hours. Who are you when no one else is looking.

For now. That is all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/18/2017 at 6:30 PM, AlwaysGr8ful said:

Yep.  I have ISWF but on audio book.  We are gonna take it bare bones just like Melissa and all that were involved back then.  It is just 30 days. This will be a R3 for me.  Something to talk about. 

How's it going, did you get this group off the ground?  I hope so. 

On 3/19/2017 at 11:38 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

I've done some searching and I can't find much, altho that's not surprising... we don't keep copies or articles of old rules laying around much... it gets confusing for people.

I can say I found that ghee was not approved for use in 2009 and obviously white potatoes were out.... and this article was written in 2010 as V2.0 so it's probably as close as you can get unless you can find the V1.0 somewhere... 

http://whole9life.com/2010/05/whole-30-v2/

<REDACTED BY MH>

Carol, I really appreciate what you were doing here, but having this really old set of rules posted in a new thread (without someone reading the ENTIRE CONTEXT of this thread) is going to be confusing as heck, and I don't want anyone thinking there is any negotiating room because the rules USED to read X, Y, and Z. 

If someone wants to an old-school Whole30, here is exactly how I'd do it:

Follow the current rules 100%, but no convenience foods. We didn't have Epic bars, Chomps snack sticks, RxBars, Whole30-compliant bacon, nutpods or almond milk, hint water, store-bought salad dressings or mayo, etc. If we wanted portable protein, I hard-boiled eggs. If I wanted something in my coffee, I used a little coconut milk from the can. If I wanted mayo, I made it myself. Larabars existed, so that was my emergency food. Otherwise, it was all real food, all the way.

Hope that helps, 

Melissa

• 4 weeks later...

Archived