Free bones from the butcher??

Has anyone ever asked your supermarket butcher for beef or chicken bones to make homemade bone broth? I wonder if they would give them to customers for free? Or even for a reasonable price? I can find chicken broth that is compliant, but I'm having a hard time finding compliant beef broth that also doesn't have yeast (moderator Tom said some companies use yeast to hide msg from consumers).

I'm finishing day 14 and feeling great! Still so much to learn though....

• Moderators

Ya, people do it all the time but be careful about supermarket meat... you want bones specifically from well raised animals if at all possible... the fat and cartiledge are where toxins are stored so if you can't get well raised animal parts, be sure to skim off the fat before consuming.

My grocery store guy gives them to me for free... he roasts chickens and the ones that he debones for chicken salad, he saves in the freezer for me and then gives me a huge bag of them... My old butcher used to charge a few cents a pound for them... ask around :)

15 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ya, people do it all the time but be careful about supermarket meat... you want bones specifically from well raised animals if at all possible... the fat and cartiledge are where toxins are stored so if you can't get well raised animal parts, be sure to skim off the fat before consuming.

My grocery store guy gives them to me for free... he roasts chickens and the ones that he debones for chicken salad, he saves in the freezer for me and then gives me a huge bag of them... My old butcher used to charge a few cents a pound for them... ask around :)

I think I will ask at Fresh Thyme first! And I don't mind paying a little bit if they are from quality animals :)

Thanks!

Archived