Starting March 20th. Join and let's do this together!

Laurie_

Read The Whole 30 a couple weeks ago and have since been preping things to get started on the program tomorrow. I have been vegetarian for over 20 years and will be completing this journey being so, which may be a bit of a challenge, but I'm up for it! Will begin reading the other books that go along with the program this week. Excited, nervous and not sure I can give up my gum! Any advice, strategies, or just friendly comments, bring them here. In good health ♡ :D

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Laurie! 

I am beginning the Whole30 journey tomorrow as well and am very excited/nervous!  I have convinced my boyfriend to do it with me which I am hoping will make it easier and keep us both accountable! I have been eager to dive into this journey for sometime now and learn a deeper relationship between my body and food. I would love to cheer each other on as well and help each other through this journey with any advice/questions/struggles we may face! <3 

Valyssa 

I'm starting, too! I had some pretty serious asthma attacks these past few weeks and have always had allergies, no matter the season. I am about to get married in june and am preparing as best I can inside and out. But I am starting to see, after reading, it could really be my diet. Working out is becoming second nature,  but there is no amount of work out that will get my asthma or my allergies in check...so the next step is to change what I eat and stop being a slave to it! I'm ready Team! Let's do it!

So glad I found this thread. I plan on starting tomorrow as well. I found Whole 30 a few weeks ago. I was very impressed that it's a paleo-type diet that make concessions for vegetarians and even vegans, as I'm a vegetarian as well. I was doing a low-carb diet and enjoying it but I was eating WAY too much dairy (because I was trying to avoid eating fake vegetarian protein products). I will be eating foods from the vegetarian list but they are all familiar to me. I love the idea of getting rid of my sugar cravings and the emotional approach the plan takes. I haven't read the book yet but just bought It Starts With Food and am looking forward to reading it.

It's so great that there will be several of us doing it so we can support each other!

Tam

Hey all!

I'm starting tomorrow as well! I've been thinking about Whole 30 for a long time, have gone back and forth for different reasons. I decided to commit to doing it after reflecting on some of my goals and how they align so well with Whole 30 (mainly taming my sugar dragon!). I am looking forward to getting started. Feeling a little nervous around it, but mostly just prepared. Looking forward to supporting you all on your Whole 30 journeys!

Starting tomorrow too! First day of spring seemed like a good start date! Been TTC for over two years with no success, though my first two kiddos came no problem. My skin is a mess and I am achy for no reason. Just want to figure out what is up with my body. I'm doing the program solo but have enlisted some great family and my hubby for support. Here's to everyone's success. We can do this!!

9 hours ago, Valyssa said:

Wow, look at all you amazing people! Thanks for responding to this post! Now I'm a little less nervous going into this with so many beside me. Not really sure how to respond on these forums...hope this works! We got this together! ♡♡

I'm a first timer starting today and I've already turned down a Starbuck's Chai Tea Latte at work (co-worker was being nice and did not know I started today). I've been dealing with chronic migraines for around 13 months and nothing traditional has helped much. I'm also a breast cancer survivor who has to avoid soy because of the estrogen response so I've already been reading labels (and soy is in everything!). I'm hoping for headache and joint pain relief and I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds.

I'm also beginning the Whole30 today!  I heard about it a few years ago but I'd always been scared to try it.  Last year, I worked with a Health Coach who suggested the Whole30 for me but I was still too nervous.  I've been dealing with migraines, allergies/sinus issues and a weak vestibular/balance system for years.  All of those issues have really come to a head the past few weeks and I've been miserable and in bed a lot.  I'm so done with being sick and tired!!  So, I'm scared no more and starting today with loads of commitment and excitement!!  I know I can do this!  I'm looking forward to how I'll be feeling even a week from now.  Glad to have all of you to share this journey with.  Please let me know if I can help any of you along the way!  LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!!!     

Wanted to recommit. Since January 5th I've started too many times to count. I had a successful 9-day run and a successful 21-day run. Then 15 days off where I gained 14 pounds. Totally my fault. I let my depression get the best of me. I'm sure some is just salt and inflammation. I really like the recipes in the Whole30 book. I was looking for things to drink, because I really miss soda. The carbonation. I'm also heading into a super stressful month that usually I use food, treats, soda, Starbucks to get myself through and I want to do it better. 30 days of Whole30 prior to my annual conference will be SO much better than how I usually end up onsite which is totally dragging, sick, and mad. :) I'm really glad to have others to do this with!

So excited to see how many people are starting this journey today! This definitely helps to know others are there to reach out too! Im glad we had all started the day off strong! 

Im not really sure how to reply on this forum! but Im trying to figure it out! haha I made this for breakfast this morning and oh my goodness it was so delicious! Better than I thought, and oddly things I would have in my house but for some reason never think to eat together. 

Sharklover- I too have always had an issue with migraines, and its funny because I am a nurse, yet I REFUSE to take any medications unless they are absolutely necessary. Im hoping to find out if a certain food is the cause of my migraines as well!

Hockey4life- way to go turning away that chai latte! I know that must've been hard I LOVE CHAI EVERYTHING haha 

Reba0313- Congratulations a=on your engagement and upcoming wedding! 

Tammay- Im finding that so many things I loved have sugar in it! I honestly never thought that I was a big sugar eater, but when I looked into the ingredients closer 90% of what I ate had sugar, yikes! I started with it starts with food and that book its great! I think everyone (even some doctors I work with) should have to read this book 

Carrie619- way to get the support of your family! Its always harder when others are eating temptations around you! and YOU ARE NOT ALONE you've got us as well! 

Mumpy-Welcome! Lets do this!

Laurie_- Look at this!! Thank you for starting this thread and connecting all of us! 

IMG_8061.JPG

I'm also starting today! I've been thinking about starting A LOT since discovering the Whole30 nearly a year ago. I kinda decided on today on a whim but I'm committed! I'm completely addicted to sugar and have crossed the 200-pound threshold, which I swore I would never do. I find myself unable to do the things I want to and love  because I am not healthy enough to do them. 

Here are some things I recommend based on having thought about starting for almost a year now:

• Read It Starts with Food! Just go do it. Now. LOL. Reading the book helped me immensely. When I first thought about starting, I kept thinking about my own little modifications because not everything made sense. It will all make sense once you read the book and hopefully it will help you be better committed!
  • If you can afford it, go and buy some compliant mayo, dressings, BBQ sauces, condiments, spice mixes, etc. If you don't cook often and don't have a ton of time, the meal prep is intimidating and time consuming enough without having to make all your own sauces from scratch! I bought the four-pack of spice blends from Paleo Powder Seasoning, the three-pack dressings from Primal Kitchen, some condiments from Tessamae's, and the Epic three-pack animal fats.

It's so lovely to have other people out there to share the journey with since I do not have anyone at home who will be doing this with me. Let's be the most supportive group this forum has ever seen!! :-) WE CAN DO THIS! 

25 minutes ago, mamajoytimes2 said:

Wanted to recommit. Since January 5th I've started too many times to count. I had a successful 9-day run and a successful 21-day run. Then 15 days off where I gained 14 pounds. Totally my fault. I let my depression get the best of me. I'm sure some is just salt and inflammation. I really like the recipes in the Whole30 book. I was looking for things to drink, because I really miss soda. The carbonation. I'm also heading into a super stressful month that usually I use food, treats, soda, Starbucks to get myself through and I want to do it better. 30 days of Whole30 prior to my annual conference will be SO much better than how I usually end up onsite which is totally dragging, sick, and mad. :) I'm really glad to have others to do this with!

@mamajoytimes2 If you like interesting things to drink, here are a few recommendations!

• Kombucha (make sure you buy a brand that doesn't have sugar listed in the ingredients)
  • LaCroix sparking water
  • The Whole30 cookbook also has some fun ones in the back that you can make

I hope that helps!! 

My husband and I are starting our first W30 today! Been thinking about it for a couple years, but wasn't ready. I'm a recovering food addict, so I loved the health benefits but was afraid it would trigger me because it is such a big change compared to my usual meal plan. However, I feel like I have the inner/outer resources and willingness to be honest with myself now that I did not have 2 years ago.  I am also a super low supply breastfeeding mom with a great desire to maintain thr milk supply I have (which W30 should ultimately help with but many people see a temporary dip in supply).  So I'm taking all the suggestions anout smaller more frequent meals and making sure to have enough fruit and fat that the articles on the website recommend.  Hubby I think most of all would like to lose weight, so I hope that happens for him. I was up super late prepping food, but I was determined to get us started on the right foot. I already feel like I had a non-scale victory because I took the time to cook real food!

I am still on maternity leave this week but next week I go back to work part time. I'm a little nervous about food prep with both of us at work, but just hope to get into the weekend prep habit!

Wishing all of you the best, and I look forward to doing this together!

31 minutes ago, Sparklemuse said:

My husband and I are starting our first W30 today! Been thinking about it for a couple years, but wasn't ready. I'm a recovering food addict, so I loved the health benefits but was afraid it would trigger me because it is such a big change compared to my usual meal plan. However, I feel like I have the inner/outer resources and willingness to be honest with myself now that I did not have 2 years ago.  I am also a super low supply breastfeeding mom with a great desire to maintain thr milk supply I have (which W30 should ultimately help with but many people see a temporary dip in supply).  So I'm taking all the suggestions anout smaller more frequent meals and making sure to have enough fruit and fat that the articles on the website recommend.  Hubby I think most of all would like to lose weight, so I hope that happens for him. I was up super late prepping food, but I was determined to get us started on the right foot. I already feel like I had a non-scale victory because I took the time to cook real food!

I am still on maternity leave this week but next week I go back to work part time. I'm a little nervous about food prep with both of us at work, but just hope to get into the weekend prep habit!

Wishing all of you the best, and I look forward to doing this together!

Meal prep is THE KEY to this. Seriously. But, I haven't come across a recipe I didn't like yet. The books are very helpful but there are many blogs around the internet that have great Whole30/Paleo recipes (just double check the paleo ones). I made big batches of about 3 things at one time and threw a lot of it in the freezer so I could keep variety going because nothing kills my momentum more than eating the same thing 741876 times in a row. 

Despite my best intentions to start today, I didn't have all the right ingredients, so I'm starting tomorrow :-(. Did some shopping today and will do the rest tomorrow. I did make some baked tofu (since I'm a vegetarian, I'm allowed tofu) and I'm looking forward to starting tomorrow.

Congrats to all who started today!

Tam

7 hours ago, Hockey4Life said:

I'm a first timer starting today and I've already turned down a Starbuck's Chai Tea Latte at work (co-worker was being nice and did not know I started today). I've been dealing with chronic migraines for around 13 months and nothing traditional has helped much. I'm also a breast cancer survivor who has to avoid soy because of the estrogen response so I've already been reading labels (and soy is in everything!). I'm hoping for headache and joint pain relief and I wouldn't mind dropping a few pounds.

Hockey4Life, I have issues with migraines too, since I was in college. It's helped to take supplements like Evening Primrose Oil, Vitamin-B, and Taurine. They haven't cut out my migraines entirely but they do make them less intense and the duration less. I'm definitely looking to curb my migraines with Whole30.

Tam

Hello everyone! I've been trying to post all day, but between work & technical difficulties getting my account set up, I've only just found some chill time. Whew!

Today's my first day too and I'm SO excited! I'm not looking forward to the day that my fluffy pink cloud of smiles evaporates, but I'll go ahead and enjoy it for the time being.

In addition to introducing myself & thanking you all for posting so we can share the next 30 days together(!) - I wanted to let you in on a little secret... coconut milk + strawberries + grapes is DELISH!  I need to make some ranch dressing (made the mayo last night) so I can find the same joy in veggie snacks. Gotta kick this sugar habit after all!

All the best!

Hello again, everyone! How did day 1 go for you all?

I am feeling pretty good today...but keep remembering it's only day 1 and this might be the easiest for a while :P. Enjoyed all my meals and ending the evening with some reading, candles and La Croix instead of my usual Netflix and snacks. Feels mentally so great to have some patterns to go to in the evenings that aren't my "usual".

Hope you all are doing well so far!

58 minutes ago, arandomtree said:

Hello again, everyone! How did day 1 go for you all?

I am feeling pretty good today...but keep remembering it's only day 1 and this might be the easiest for a while :P. Enjoyed all my meals and ending the evening with some reading, candles and La Croix instead of my usual Netflix and snacks. Feels mentally so great to have some patterns to go to in the evenings that aren't my "usual".

Hope you all are doing well so far!

Day one feels really good. Have had some cravings, but they've passed quick enough that I haven't gotten too caught up with them. I'm glad a few people have joined this thread so we can go on this journey together. Everything's always easier when you have someone to talk to and throw ideas around with. Ready for day 2? Let's do this :)

I posted this on another "March 20 Start Date" but this looks like where all the action is:

My husband and I started Whole30 today. We both have let our diets slowly slip into the Standard American Diet (with a gourmet twist) over the past five years, and we are ready to make a radical change. He's a little skeptical, so we're praying for both of us to have good results. Day 1 was done without any problems, and it was a good day!

I posted this on another thread yesterday but am going to jump ship and post it here:

Yup I'm staring tomorrow too! I actually did 6 days back in Feb but decided I wanted to get tested for Coeliac disease and Hashimotos  so I opted out for a while and am starting afresh tomorrow. You really need to be eating gluten if you are going to test for Celiacs disease otherwise you might get a false negative. Anyway i''ve had these tests done before and they came back negative so I'm not really expecting a change this time but thought id just give it one more shot. All I know is that deep in my bones I know I can't tolerate gluten and perhaps something is wrong with my thyroid. Conventional medicine hasn't been able to find the cause of my chronic fatigue, chronic constipation and chronic telegenic  effluvium so far so here I am at whole 30 looking for answers and goddammit some energy would be great too!

I suffered badly from the carb flu for the first 4 days last time so I'm expecting the same this week....but at least I know it passes.

Ive prepped a bit today too, started up a bone broth and made chimchirru (sp?) and mayo. Been shopping for all my fruit and veg and meats and have a meal plan for the week (in my head!). Last time I did not prep and it is not fun trying to make mayo during carb flu lol. This time I'm better prepped.

Good luck to us all!! I'm excited, I just want this work so badly.

xx Maggie

Archived