Starting March 20th. Join and let's do this together!

Laurie_

Can I jump in on this thread?  Needing an accountability group!  I did my first Whole 30 in November and felt amazing.  And then.....it was amazing how quickly I slipped back into old ways until finally, I found myself right back where I started.  Days 1 and 2 were good although 2 hit me like a freight train.  Didn't have that round 1 so being more aware of hydration, enough calories, etc.  My hubby says he'll do it with me.....but maybe not so much as he's always asking "can I eat this, can I eat that,....."  I sent him a link to read!  lol  Thanks gang!  Here's to 28 more days!!

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/21/2017 at 6:34 AM, Laurie_ said:

I went and started a Facebook page called Whole Forum 3/20 if anyone would like to connect and support one another there as well. It ha a pink "you got this" photo and it's blank right now, but may be easier to access then writing in this forum. We could always do both but options are good, and Facebook is immediate feedback and response (usually) if you're having a moment you need support. Day 2 is here! :) xo

I did a search on Whole Forum 3/20 and nothing came up--would love to join.  Can you send me an invite:  Jeanne Sajben Jenkins   (somewhat technically challenged.......)

Just requested to join the Facebook group - thanks! I started on 3/15, so today is day 8. So far, so good...have been 100% compliant, 3 meals a day and no snacking (which is amazing for me, as I work from home and seem to be constantly snacking). 

I hope I'm not too far along to join the group - I'm in another one that started on 3/15, but this one seems so supportive and active in posts!

Thanks, Lori

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, Hockey4Life said:

I woke up this morning without a full blown migraine and only slight sinus pressure which is a huge deal for me :) I need to find some condiments that are Whole30 compliant because I really wanted to put some ketchup on my scrambled eggs. I was grateful for mustard last night and I'm not usually a big fan. I did much better this morning by cooking my breakfast in coconut oil which added great flavor and added half an avocado to breakfast and lunch plan. Actually using fat is a huge shift for me because I've avoided it during the anorexic years but yoyo back and forth between eating everything and eating nothing for many years. I generally avoid extra fat and thought I was doing better with the sugar but even the stuff that did not have soy still had sugar. Yesterday I at breakfast at 6 am and was starving well before 10. Today I ate around 6:30 am and am doing much better than yesterday and it's almost 11. Jazzercise last night seemed like a lot of work - I was not very energetic at all and I ate a pre-workout meal with protein.

Workouts may stink for a while!  When I did my first who 30 I was training for a 1/2 marathon and it just about killed me until I really took to heart the suggestion to add more starchy veggies to my meals.  Hello hashbrowns in clarified butter and baked sweet potatoes!  HUGE difference. 

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, kirbz said:

We did it! LOL, Day 1 complete! It honestly wasn't too crazy hard, although I find myself very stressed about putting together meals (I developed a cold sore this morning, which is always a physical manifestation of stress for me). Is anyone else having that problem? I refuse to give up my Sundays for meal prep and I hate eating food more than a day or two old so I'm not sure the mass meal prep would work for me anyway. So, I almost start to panic when I find myself coming up on my next meal time and I don't have anything made! I guess I need to at least plan my meals better... 

I made it through the day pretty well without any strong cravings until last night. I ended up going to bed at like 8:30 so I wouldn't run to the store for some ice cream! Haha. Honestly though, I'm proud that the sugar craving didn't kick in until the evening because I was the type of person who would roll out of bed and eat a candy bar and then have Lucky Charms for breakfast... 

I was very happy and a bit surprised that a nice, healthy meal could keep me full for so long. I ate breakfast at 6:00 AM yesterday and made it fine until 12:00 before eating. I then made it until almost 7:00 for dinner (though I was quite hungry by that point). That was something I was very concerned about (i.e., actually believing that only three meals in a day would be enough) but I find myself much more willing to believe it now! 

Happy Day 2 everyone!

One of the suggestions in the book or on the site somewhere said that you need to write out 3 quick meals that you basically always have supplies for on hand and post them on your fridge.  This is a huge deal if you don't meal prep!  You have to know what to make, an what you can make quick or you will really struggle to stay on plan.

I always make enough at dinner for lunch the next day.  That is my most beneficial strategy because I make breakfast, pack lunch and prep dinner between 6-7 am and while I have a master list for meals for each 2 week period (we shop every 2 weeks) I need breakfast and lunch to be effortless! 

20 hours ago, SharkLover said:

So far things have been going really well.  No cravings at all and lots of energy... until about mid afternoon.  Yesterday and today around 3 I start to crash and all my energy drains away.  I got pretty crabby to.  Yesterday, the feeling lasted the rest of the day.  I know this is only temporary but I was wondering if anyone else was having this too?

post a menu?  helps to know what you are eating :)

16 hours ago, AMilam_W30R3 said:

@Hockey4Life @Rachie037 @SharkLover There's a reason days 2-3 are know as "The Hangover". Check out the Whole 30 timeline for the full explanation. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Add a bit more fat to your afternoon meal, catch a power nap if you can, and go to bed early over the next couple days. It will get better, we're almost to the "Kill all the things" phase...lol

This made me giggle.....bring on the Kill All The Things phase :)

Gah, food sucks! All joy has been taken out of eating. I don't even find it all that hard not to eat between meals because I just don't want to eat at all. Putting together a meal is just way too much work. This is a Pealoe-ish way of eating, right? And they call that the caveman diet? Well it must be because you have to put as much effort into preparing a meal as a caveman did!! LOL. 

Okay, seriously though, anyone else feeling this? I also almost threw up multiple times at breakfast because the food was so unappetizing. I kept gagging. It took me a long time to get through my meal and even then, I couldn't eat all of it and it wasn't that big to begin with! 

I'm a little frustrated by this because I would normally like this type of food. It's not that I just don't like this type of eating at all.... 

Help?

47 minutes ago, kirbz said:

Gah, food sucks! All joy has been taken out of eating. I don't even find it all that hard not to eat between meals because I just don't want to eat at all. Putting together a meal is just way too much work. This is a Pealoe-ish way of eating, right? And they call that the caveman diet? Well it must be because you have to put as much effort into preparing a meal as a caveman did!! LOL. 

Okay, seriously though, anyone else feeling this? I also almost threw up multiple times at breakfast because the food was so unappetizing. I kept gagging. It took me a long time to get through my meal and even then, I couldn't eat all of it and it wasn't that big to begin with! 

I'm a little frustrated by this because I would normally like this type of food. It's not that I just don't like this type of eating at all.... 

Help?

What are you eating? How are you cooking it?

Here's what I've eaten so far:

Day 1

Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs with apple, onion, and scallions 

Lunch: 4 turkey meatballs in lettuce wraps with 1/2 avocado 

Dinner: 1/3 Whole Foods roasted chicken; large mixed green salad with tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and Primal Kitchen Ranch 

Day 2 

Breakfast: leftover 1/3 Whole Foods roasted chicken; butternut squash baked in olive oil with salt and pepper 

Lunch: 6 turkey meatballs in lettuce wraps (no fat this meal because the avocado went bad) 

Dinner: bison burger in lettuce wrap with 1/2 avocado and onion; sweet potato french fries 

Day 3

Breakfast: 1/2 Japanese sweet potato cooked in olive oil with onion, appled, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper; two slices bacon; one over-easy egg cooked in ghee (this was the meal where I was gagging, which is weird because this would normally be super delicuous appetizing) 

5 minutes ago, AMilam_W30R3 said:

@kirbz Actually, the way you are feeling is pretty normal for this point in the W30. Check out the timeline, especially days 2-3 & 4-7.

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

I guess I didn't really read the timeline that way but it's good to hear others feel this way.

I don't feel any physical symptoms at all (which is a little surprising because I ate like GARBAGE before starting this). I don't have a headache or feel achy or overly tired. I'm not feeling any mood swings in terms of being angry or impatient or sad.

The problem is that food just doesn't seem appealing at all anymore. And it was weird to me to be literally gagging on food that would normally have been super appetizing! I mean, when I took the first bite of compliant bacon this morning, I thought "yum, this meal is going to be delicious!" And then I quite literally had to choke it down. 

Not so strange then?

14 minutes ago, kirbz said:

Not so strange then?

I don't think so, I had the same problem on the first day. Same thing, it was all food that I liked and that was tasty, but eating it made me feel like gagging. I ate much more slowly than usual to let my stomach settle, but stuck to the plan otherwise. I haven't had that problem since the first day, so hopefully it doesn't last for you either.

@kirbz I get what you mean....sometimes I am just so tired thinking about what I can/cannot eat that I am over it. But this too shall pass! Like another user said, you may just be experiencing some of the symptoms from the timeline.

I changed my mind set a little bit about my meal preparation and instead look at it like an experiment and something fun. I am learning new ways of cooking, adding my own spin on it and cooking bulk. My roommates probably wonder what the heck is going on in our freezer because I am cooking 2-3 different meals at a time and putting them in there so I have a grab & go if I need it. 

My work has an omelette contraption for the microwave and it is awesome. I cut up a tupperware's worth of veggies on a Sunday and throw a handful of that and some egg whites in, topped with an avocado and Trader Joe's salsa verde and have a very yummy breakfast. Takes 1 min and 15 seconds in the microwave and easy clean up. 

25 minutes ago, kirbz said:

I guess I didn't really read the timeline that way but it's good to hear others feel this way.

I don't feel any physical symptoms at all (which is a little surprising because I ate like GARBAGE before starting this). I don't have a headache or feel achy or overly tired. I'm not feeling any mood swings in terms of being angry or impatient or sad.

The problem is that food just doesn't seem appealing at all anymore. And it was weird to me to be literally gagging on food that would normally have been super appetizing! I mean, when I took the first bite of compliant bacon this morning, I thought "yum, this meal is going to be delicious!" And then I quite literally had to choke it down. 

Not so strange then?

No, not strange. I had trouble choking down my breakfast this morning too. Ended up tossing half of it. When it came around to lunch time what I had packed just wasn't appealing to me, so I waited until I was really hungry. Still wasn't into it, but ate it any way. I'm pretty sure it's just my brain fighting me. I don't usually get the physical symptoms either, but I do occasionally get to where nothing is appealing at all. It usually goes away in a day or so. Just give it time.

I pointed to the time line because the nausea and general "Meh" is usually attributed to the hangover stage and your original post (" Gah, food sucks! All joy has been taken out of eating. I don't even find it all that hard not to eat between meals because I just don't want to eat at all...") sounded a little like the beginning of KILL ALL THE THINGS! lol. ;)

Hang in there, it'll get better soon...I hope. :D

I'm not sure how to respond to individuals in this forum...if someone wants to write a quick "how to" I will,lol. And I can't add people to the Facebook group ubless I'm friends with you :( or I definitely would. So.eine put the link to the group in one of these messages...THANK YOU! I need to figure out how to work this,lol

@Laurie_ to reply you can either write someones name with the @ in front like I did to you just now or you can clicj "Quote" at the bottom left of their post.

Here's a link to the Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1405933302811196/?multi_permalinks=1407023499368843%2C1406777392726787%2C1406618389409354&notif_t=group_activity&notif_id=1490145667025199

Hope that helps.

5 hours ago, Jsjenkins301 said:

I did a search on Whole Forum 3/20 and nothing came up--would love to join.  Can you send me an invite:  Jeanne Sajben Jenkins   (somewhat technically challenged.......)

Did you find the group ok?

Archived