Starting March 20th. Join and let's do this together!

Laurie_

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We made it to Day 30! Honestly, when I first heard about Whole30, I didn't think I would be able to do it. I love grains, cheese, and milk, and they were usually a staple part of every meal (sometimes the entire meal). But I did it! As for the last week, nothing really exciting to report, except yesterday I was in bed with a migraine for most of the day. I think it was either something I ate the day before, or my migraines truly aren't triggered by food. I'm still very interested to do proper reintroduction, however, and I'm going to pay close attention to how the food I eat makes me feel. Even if my migraines aren't completely caused by food, they didn't seem to be as bad this month.

I've decided to list out all my NSVs:

• My stomach seems flatter, and my pants seem to be fitting better, which is great because things had been starting to get a bit tight. I forgot to weigh myself before, but I might check tomorrow 
  • Fewer migraines. Instead of one, or even two, a week, I had two migraines this entire month. One was on the second day of Whole30, and one was yesterday.
  • I feel more confident about meal planning. I used to struggle getting enough protein and vegetables into my meals. Now I know how easy and delicious it is, and I don't plan on stopping any time soon!
  • No more reliance on/super cravings for grains and dairy. Oftentimes, that was the only thing I would eat in a meal. And I have been known in the past to eat an entire box of frozen waffles by myself in one sitting, because when that's all I was eating, it wasn't that filling.  I don't see myself going back to that, now that I am so comfortable constructing a healthy, filling meal.
  • Much more conscious about what I eat, what it's made from, and how it makes me feel.

It may not be the longest or the most impressive list, but I'm proud of what I accomplished. I was a little skeptical when I started, so I'm happy to see these results and happy I was able to learn something new. I'll be starting my reintroduction tomorrow, and I'm excited. Congratulations to everyone who made it!

Yay @Thulily!! All those NSVs sound great! I agree with those as well. I love feeling more confident in knowing how to include more veggies and healthy foods into my diet. NO CRAVINGS is amazing. And I don't eat just to eat. It's a very conscious decision and effort. Eating good foods takes preparation and time and I've created that habit for myself.

I finally hopped on the scale this afternoon. I totally didn't even think about it this morning because I've been so happy with my NSVs. So I seriously lost 13 pounds!! Ahhh! I can't believe it. That is crazy! So much closer to goal weight. Very satisfied with my first round of Whole30. 

@Hockey4Life, that's great. I'll keep coming here to see how it's going for you. I'm also going straight to the THM eating plan and don't plan on introducing white sugar or white flour into my diet any time soon. I decided to actually introduce stevia today, as I am making a cake with all Whole30 approved ingredients except for stevia. So far I feel fine. I will be taking a break introducing anything new tomorrow and then doing something on Thursday... not sure what yet. 

Congrats everyone!! WOOHOO!!!

Congratulations @Nedster7 for completing your 30 days and your weight loss. @Thulily my list is not long either, but the accomplishments are huge- 30 days of change, discipline and hard work is something to be very proud of! I have not seen the healing results I was looking for, so am planning on doing a slow reintroduction.  My family is traveling in a couple of weeks and I want to be able to enjoy vacation food and drink. 

@Hockey4Life I hope you feel better quickly and can enjoy your accomplishments!  

Thank you for your support and helping me answer a few questions as we went along.  This group has offered the support I needed to make it to day 30!

So I'm definitely waiting until the weekend to see if I want to start reintroduction or wait a little longer. I may consider waiting up to 21 days to re-introduce some foods but I need to be through with the re-intro before May 20th when I have a week long trip scheduled where I do not control the food served. Blood pressure is 130/77 so much better than the 233/169 from early Monday but I'd like it back under 120/80 before trying foods that may trigger migraines.

Congrats on making it to day 30! Here's to a successful re-introduction of the foods you love :)

Great @Hockey4Life! How are you feeling today on the Whole30? Are you still waiting for the tiger blood to kick in? Wanting more results in the next 20 days? Also, as for your trip you're taking in May, it would be such a shame to throw away all that work in a few days after completing the Whole50 (or whatever it calculates out to be). Will you be trying to stay away from non compliant foods for that week? How will you be reintroducing the foods during that trip? Just curious and wanting to help you think through your strategy plan. My brother and his wife completed the Whole30 2 weeks before me and totally ate crap this last week. They hugely regret their choices, because it shot them right back to where they were before the Whole30 and they feel like all that work was for nothing. :-(  Don't want that for anyone! I love the way I feel right now, and the control I have in my eating. Maybe you could plan to stay away from certain foods, but go ahead and eat the dressings that are available. Something simple, yet effective.

We enjoyed my "Special Occasion Cake" sweetened with stevia, and now having it for breakfast (because it's that healthy! ;-) Enjoying every bite, rather than chowing down, like I would have before my Whole30 journey. Sat down and planned out all my meals for the this week, all Whole30 still! I'm going to add in whey protein tomorrow in a smoothie, since I'd really like to incorporate those foods back into my diet. I miss smoothies for breakfast!! I guess I'm doing more of the slow reintro rather than the rapid, especially since I DON'T want to add in white sugars or white flours for a LONG time!! If ever. That stuff is so bad!! 

Feeling on top of the world over here in Alaska! :-D

Today is my day 30, and finally I feel great!  I have lowered my hormone replacement dosage which seems to have made al the difference in digestive issues, skin issues and belly pooch!  

My hubster and I went out to dinner last night and I was nervous about the ingredients I may get, but I made my own salad at Mellow Mushroom, took my own dressing , and gobbled up every bite of my dinner.  I am happy to report there were no ugly side effects from the food and I have the best feeling about being social again!  I am planning on reintroducing legumes/soy first because soy seems to be what most restaurants use to marinate their meats.  If soy is good with my body then I will have much more freedom eating out and on our trip- riding without my training wheels so to speak. 

Have a great day!

@Nedster7 The main reason I'm considering staying W30 longer is because of the medication reaction causing the blood pressure to spike but I'm also on an anti-hormone because of the breast cancer that I think is delaying some results. The chronic migraine headache is gone which was my main goal for W30. I did lose 5 pounds and an inch to inch and a half everywhere that I measured before starting. If I stay compliant until May 10th, I will get an extra 21 days making it a Whole51 :) This allows me 11 days to do the re-intro before I have to travel to Napa Valley for the week. I've actually thought this through pretty carefully and don't want to wreck the major benefits I already have.

@queenE I'm not allowed to have soy because it mimics estrogen (hence the anti-hormone for 5 years). I would recommend talking to your doctor about soy since you are using a hormone replacement therapy. It may be fine for you but doesn't hurt to double check.

@Hockey4Life I have had an amazing week! Super proud of myself for staying committed and reintroducing foods methodically. 

Last week starting with day 31, I reintroduced stevia and a few other low glycemic sweeteners. Then I introduced whey protein powder, then beans, then brown rice and cheese curds and butter. Today I reintroduced oatmeal. It was great! So far I've had no negative reactions to any of it. My little girl did have a really stinky poo after the beans, though! (I breastfeed) Don't really have a plan as to what's next to reintroduce. It will be a dairy, as that's pretty much the only other things I'm willing to reintroduce. So maybe cream in a couple days.

I've also shed a couple more pounds since day 31! I'm loving this amazing feeling of food freedom! On days 24 to about 27, I was so ready to be done and eat up every sugary, unhealthy pastry I could find! Wondering why the heck I was doing this Whole30 "thing" since I was so craving all those addictive things. Then BAM! Day 29 and beyond, I've got tiger blood, no desire to eat ANYTHING unhealthy and feeling on top of the world! This was so worth it. I've never felt this way about food in my life. It's literally changed my life. I've always been addicted to chocolate and everything sweet. Now I look at it without the slightest desire to eat it, knowing how yucky that will inevitably make me feel, and questioning every reason to ever eat anything like it again! I'm just amazed at myself and my change of thought. It's really truly changed me. I hope you all have just as amazing an experience as me! This is the greatest feeling in finally in control of my eating, and not letting it control me. 

Reintroduced non gluten grains yesterday because I missed my oatmeal so much!

I had no problems after lunch which included corn chips and corn tortilla.  Dinner was a recipe from Real Plans which had quinoa and chili peppers and sucanat-  which I have never had.  Soon after dinner I had a very noisy tummy (my husband even heard it from across the room), followed by gas, my nose became very itchy and red.  I am not sure how to use this information.  Did the quinoa cause troubles or could it be the new ingredients, and I hardly ever eat spicy foods?  How does one know for sure?  I ate quinoa before and didn't notice any trouble, but I wasn't as 'aware' as I am now. 

Breakfast this morning was oats made with almond milk, coconut milk, toasted almonds, raspberries and blueberries.  Then in an effort to get veggies with breakfast I made a small smoothie ( 1 cup) with kale, 1/4 avocado, almond milk, almond butter and 1/2 frozen banana.  

My concern is the lack of protein in my breakfast.  Any suggestions on how to beef this breakfast up a little?  I am thinking about a trip we have coming up and good breakfast I can eat on the road. Oatmeal has always been my go to travel breakfast.  

I have to admit I have put off introducing anything because I could not decide what I actually wanted.  I have been pretty happy on the Whole30, but realize I can not survive on such a restrictive diet- especially as much fun travel as I have coming up- starting this weekend!  I am so happy that food or the thought of food does not control my days - it is so freeing!

• Moderators

Hi Guys!

Congratulations for finishing!  For those of you doing reintroduction, we would kindly ask that if you want to stick together, that one of you make a thread in the reintroduction/post Whole30 section of the forum and then post your results there... it makes the main boards remain fully compliant so as not to confuse newbies!

Archived