Excessive gas and constipation...help!

Hello! I just finished day 19 and I'm still going strong! However, today I experienced excessive, foul smelling gas. I'm also constipated more than usual. I'm never regular, but today is worse and I feel like I have to go but I can't. The biggest change for me in the whole30 plan is that I cut out sugar. I didn't eat too many grains before and I ate a decent amount of vegetables (although I am eating a lot more now). I didn't have any of these issues up until now on day 19.

Here's a run down of what I ate yesterday:

Meal 1 was leftover egg bake that had butternut squash, kale, and onions in it. I also had some roasted broccoli.

Meal 2 was ground turkey with roasted sweet potato and brussel sprouts.

Meal 3 was leftover spaghetti squash casserole with ground beef and peppers in it. I also had some steamed mixed vegetables.

I do drink coffee some days and have been putting coconut milk in it. This is something new from before I started whole30, but I have no idea if it is contributing to my issues.

I would appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Hey @Elizabeth22 - it's hard to tell from just the oone day's worth of food but I'm guessing you're sensitive to either high FODMAP foods,or cruciferous veg.

In one day there you've eaten: kale, broccoli, & sprouts & I'm guessing probably some cauliflower in your 'mixed vegetables'? All of these are cruciferous veg, high in sulphur & also high in FODMAPs (types of sugars found in foods) and all can be hard on the digestive system when eaten in volume.

If it's FODMAPs that are the problem then coconut milk would also come into play.

Can you let us know a few more days worth of your food so we can take a better look...?

Sure. For breakfast most days I have either had a egg bake of some sort, scrambled eggs with onions, sweet potato, and spinach or leftovers from the day before. If I have eggs sometimes I have a couple pieces of bacon. Lunch is usually leftovers or chicken salad and some type of veggies (most likely broccoli or cauliflower). I ate my first meal today at 3am since I work nights and it was turkey and sweet potato chili. I also had some zucchini with that. 

Last week my lunches were on repeat since I meal prepped ahead. I had ground turkey with the roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts for at least 4 days. If I have avocados stocked I will have part of that with at least one of my meals. I have been eating a lot of broccoli and brussel sprouts, mostly because those are my favorite vegetables. 

Another meal example is sweet potato shepard's pie with ground beef, carrots, and peppers. I had beef stew a couple days and then roasted some vegetables (broccoli or cauliflower) to have with it. 

I haven't kept a written record, so that's the best I can think of off the top of my head. 

24 minutes ago, Elizabeth22 said:

Sure. For breakfast most days I have either had a egg bake of some sort, scrambled eggs with onions, sweet potato, and spinach or leftovers from the day before. If I have eggs sometimes I have a couple pieces of bacon. Lunch is usually leftovers or chicken salad and some type of veggies (most likely broccoli or cauliflower). I ate my first meal today at 3am since I work nights and it was turkey and sweet potato chili. I also had some zucchini with that. 

Last week my lunches were on repeat since I meal prepped ahead. I had ground turkey with the roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts for at least 4 days. If I have avocados stocked I will have part of that with at least one of my meals. I have been eating a lot of broccoli and brussel sprouts, mostly because those are my favorite vegetables. 

Another meal example is sweet potato shepard's pie with ground beef, carrots, and peppers. I had beef stew a couple days and then roasted some vegetables (broccoli or cauliflower) to have with it. 

I haven't kept a written record, so that's the best I can think of off the top of my head. 

Yeah, I've highlighted the cruciferous & high FODMAP veg above for you just to give you an idea of the volume you've been eating. I'd start by cutting out the cauliflower, broccoli & sprouts and see if you don;t see any improvement - I imagine you will.

Even if you ate these veg prior to Whole30 you have most likely gone over your personal tolerance threshold and need to ease off to allow your gut time to heal. Over exposure to ANY food can result in similar symptoms by the way and it doesn't mean you'll never be able to eat these foods again - you'll just need to be more wary of portion size, and food combinations.

Let us know how you feel in a couple of days & we can take it from there as to how to move forward....

I am on day 21 and have had issues with constipation the whole time. Prunes are the only thing that helps me go. I have IBS and know high FODMAPS affect me but I don't do onions and have not had avocado, sweet potatoes, or cauliflower or broccoli in a few days.  Yesterday I ate 5 prunes and no results yet. I'm a bit frustrated today as I'm very bloated.  Please Help!

I am Pescetarian so I have a pea protein shake every morning altering between almond butter, 1/2 banana, and cocoa, almond milk, and a handful of greens. Kale this week but was using spinach or spring mix last two weeks.  I also have a pineapple, coconut, banana shake.

Eggs in some form for lunch along with and carrots and cucumbers or a salad with dressing

Piece of fruit for snack. Nuts for second snack.

Supper is fish (salmon, tilapia, shrimp, or flounder, tuna) along with white potatoes in some form.

I did make sweet and savory tuna salad and an Asian purple cabbage salad with pecan (Asian dressing) that I ate a lot of the last two days?

23 minutes ago, ToriA said:

I am Pescetarian so I have a pea protein shake every morning altering between almond butter, 1/2 banana, and cocoa, almond milk, and a handful of greens. Kale this week but was using spinach or spring mix last two weeks.  I also have a pineapple, coconut, banana shake.

Eggs in some form for lunch along with and carrots and cucumbers or a salad with dressing

Piece of fruit for snack. Nuts for second snack.

Supper is fish (salmon, tilapia, shrimp, or flounder, tuna) along with white potatoes in some form.

I did make sweet and savory tuna salad and an Asian purple cabbage salad with pecan (Asian dressing) that I ate a lot of the last two days?

Almonds & almond butter, almond milk, pretty much ALL nuts in fact, and banana are all high FODMAP, as is the cabbage.

FODMAP sensitivity is all about doseage, but once you go over your own personal tolerance threshold you tend to have to let the gut completely settle before eating any high FODMAP foods.

As an IBS sufferer I'd strongly recommend you stay away from nuts & their by-products as they are notoriously hard on the digestive system.

Bananas could be okay if they are well ripened.

Let us know how you feel after a few days & we can take it from there.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, I'll try that. The nuts keep me full and I was trying to add fat to 3 meals a day. I'll try a different non daily milk in my shakes. I didn't think bananas were a high FODMAP but wondered about the cabbage. 

Nuts really are a poor fat choice - high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids, hard on the gut, high FODMAP....

Have you tried making home-made mayo? You can then use that as a base for other sauces/dressings and it works with pretty much everything.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 8:42 AM, jmcbn said:

Let us know how you feel in a couple of days & we can take it from there as to how to move forward....

Ok, so I cut out broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts since my first post. That was 10 days ago and I'm now on day 29. I am feeling much better and have not had any more digestive issues! Here is what I have been eating the past few days: 

March 25

Meal 1: 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices bacon, 1 banana

Meal 2: chicken salad with spinach, pepper, carrot, zucchini; 1 apple

Meal 3: leftover sweet potato chicken curry; 1 cup bone broth

March 26

Meal 1: egg bake, 2 pieces bacon, 1 banana

Meal 2: chipotle sweet potato chili, green beans, 1 apple

Meal 3: sweet potato shepard’s pie, pepper slices

March 27, 2017

Meal 1: 3 scrambled eggs with pepper, onion, spinach; 1 banana; cold brewed coffee

Meal 2: leftover beef stew, carrot slices with mayo

Meal 3: leftover sweet potato chicken curry

March 28, 2017

Meal 1: 3 hard boiled eggs, 1 slice bacon, 1 banana

Meal 2: chicken salad with spinach, carrots, pepper, celery; 1 apple

Meal 3: shredded chicken enchilada soup; roasted asparagus

Archived