Did second Whole30; gained 4 pounds

I did my first Whole30 and was very pleased with the results. I had a number of significant NSV's and lost 16 pounds.

Since I was so pleased with round one, I decided to stay on a totally compliant whole30 for the second round.

Today was day 31 of the second round. I got up first thing and weighed myself. I had gained 4 pounds. I am sorely disappointed.

I knew something was awry. My wedding band was not slipping off as easily as before and starting a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my clothes were not fitting as loosely as they had been.

What has changed between the first and second Whole30? 1) I started snacking on macadamia nuts in the evening. 2) I started snacking on dried apricots in the evening. 

I am DETERMINED to make this work for me. I am VERY happy with the diet I am eating. So here is what I am going to do.

I have two unavoidable dinner dates in the next two weeks. Most of what's on the menu is non-compliant. I'm going to excercise restraint and eat as little if the non-compliant food as I can at each of the dinners. Starting today and for the next 30 days, except for those dinners, I'm going to be doing whole30. 

One of the really good NSV's I've noticed is the lack of appetite. I'm going to use that lack of appetite to cut my evening meal in half, and completely STOP the macadamia nut and apricot snacking, in fact, all snacking.

let's see what happens.

:(

12 minutes ago, Brassfrog said:

I'm going to use that lack of appetite to cut my evening meal in half,

Restricting calories is counter productive as the body goes into survival mode and slows down the metabolism so as to use less fuel seeing as there is less fuel being supplied.

Drop the nuts & dried fruit - they are WAY carbier than people give them credit for.

Follow the plan to the letter - x3 template meals that fill you for 4-5hrs, the first wthin an hour of wakening, no snacking.

Focus on sleep, and re-charging your batteries. Spend some time outdoors each day.

That's all you need to do.

Remember though that this is not a diet, nor is it a Whole 365 - at some point you need to figure out what works for you in the long term, even if it includes some off plan foods.

1 minute ago, jmcbn said:

Restricting calories is counter productive as the body goes into survival mode and slows down the metabolism so as to use less fuel seeing as there is less fuel being supplied.

Drop the nuts & dried fruit - they are WAY carbier than people give them credit for.

Follow the plan to the letter - x3 template meals that fill you for 4-5hrs, the first wthin an hour of wakening, no snacking.

Focus on sleep, and re-charging your batteries. Spend some time outdoors each day.

That's all you need to do.

OK, thanks, I'll give it a try for one.more.whole30. 

Chuck

Just now, Brassfrog said:

OK, thanks, I'll give it a try for one.more.whole30.

And pay attention to my last paragraph - 'Remember though that this is not a diet, nor is it a Whole 365 - at some point you need to figure out what works for you in the long term, even if it includes some off plan foods.' - and bear in mind that eating off plan foods does not mean you need to stray from the parameters of the program. Add back in what works for you, but keep building those template meals, and you'll not have the need (or the appetite) for snacks.

Archived