March 27 start, Time to SHINE!!

cortadoplease

Hello Day 2ers and others 

@NatCanada & @Diannhayden & @ncoughlin I also felt a little groggy & headachey yesterday (day 1) more then today - but today my head still has a little ache. Each day is different, but it does get better. It's probably the day 2-3 hangover - check out the W30 timeline if you haven't yet. :) Today is just a day. 

Yesterday I had creamed zucchini and eggs with collards sautéed with one piece bacon for meal 1. 

Meal 2 was the stew I made from Sunday with some chopped up rainbow chard thrown in omg so good. One big bowl. I was completely satisfied to the point where I didn't want to eat at 6 so I took a power walk, went to my meditation group at 7 and by the time I got back at 9 p.m. I was famished. I had just two bites stew cold and that was it. I'm not supposed to eat after 7:p.m. except for post w/o snack and didn't plan very well yesterday. Next time I'll bring something and have it right after my power walk or yoga/gym class or whatever. 

Really want coffee today. Jasmine green tea is helping though. No coffee until the weekend. When I say that out loud while looking at my belly, sending my gut a deliberate message, my tummy actually seems to smile back from within :P and the craving goes away a bit. Weird I know. 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ps @Mariannne and others re non-food rewards - yes! Going to the nursery today for an indoor plant, plan my veggie garden for planting this week. And each time I do major grocery shopping I get me some flowers. :) And yesterday's power walk in the warm breezy afternoon was definitely a reward. 

Good morning,

I think I've skipped right to the "Kill all the things" stage. Not so good when you work in customer service. On a positive note, I usually crave a cookie or chocolate when I get angry and stressed and I am not craving that. But man am I feeling stressed and angry.

Definitely need to step up the breakfast game, Did not want to eat what I had. Will have to make something tonight for the rest of the week. 

Speaking of non food rewards. I'm on a tight budget, so I am basically gonna save it until the end and buy myself this pair of Muck boots I want and a couple of canning books I "need". I'll just have to give myself a pat on the back as encouragement until the end of this round.

This has been an interesting day. I now wish my hunger wasn't back b/c it's fierce! :angry: I stomach says I'm not eating enough but my meals look fine to me:

Breakfast: creamy-zucchini eggs (3/4 egg whites + 2 whole eggs, 0.5 zucchini, 0.5 small banana, coconut milk, and ground flaxseeds)

Lunch: 2 cups sauteed kale in coconut oil, steamed bass (palm-size), 1 whole egg, sweet potato and carrot soup

Dinner and poWO: same as lunch

Some tweaking is in order! I really don't want to be eating fruit as a snack (I'm deliberately starving the dragon), and I'm off nuts (fwob for me). I might keep some extra soft-boiled eggs and cut up veggies on hand in case hunger strikes! If anyone wants to jump in and add ideas, I'm all ears or all eyes in this case!

Thanks for the idea @bronnydI've bought some spring flowers for my place last week. Flowers just makes all of life so much brighter and happier! 

As for rewards, I had the idea to buy a kitchen gadget for completing week 1 of this W30 while having my morning shower today. Best ideas happen in the shower :):):)  Perhaps a food processor? That'll come in handy through this W30, and after!

@Miranda E: I feel you on the 'kill all the things'. I get that way during sugar withdrawal. It was another reason that I had for the soft start on the weekend. I knew it would happen over the weekend (and it did). It's 'the crazy b*tch' when that happens. I don't mind dealing that myself but definitely, I can't be at work when she comes to visit. lol  I wish you a blessed day! Do whatever you need to to put a smile on your face ;) It'll be over soon! 

@Mariannne That would mean walking out the door and not coming back. My bank account does not agree with that idea. Ha ha...

A kitchen appliance is an excellent idea. I want an immersion blender. I shall now wait until the end of the week to order it as a congratulations you and everyone around you survived week 1! :D

Maybe there is not enough bulky veggies in your meals. The zucchini and the kale are both cooked down, so they don't take up as much room in your stomach as uncooked varieties would.  I've been adding a large handful of that kale salad mix (super 7 something) to like everything for added bulk cause I am not in salad mode yet. Today I mixed it with my kale pork and braised cabbage and then mixed all that with half an avocado. It was WAY better with the avocado added.  

Missed introducing myself yesterday! But also spent march 27 as Day 1 of first ever whole30. Tho I have some similar experience with elimination diets  (remove lots of allergens to expose your triggers), wheatbelly  and also a grain-free and dairy-free diet (ala Danielle Walker of Against All Grain). I'm doing this to improve gut health (I have ulcertive proctitis) and learn to control eating habits - hopefully leading to taking off 25 lbs of baby weight.

Whole30 will be different for me because of the SWYPO clause - I always recreated comfort and FWNB foods whenever I was on another regiment. This 3 meals thing is going to challenging for me since I'm the mom of a toddler and a working musician. Always grabbing and going and eating those easily available carbs. Not to mention -  free access to unhealthy food and liquor at gigs.  I don't think I have much of a sugar dragon but I'm terrible with the FWNB - my friend calls it "auto-arm" when we get next to chips! 

I made wonderful food yesterday from Danielle's cookbooks (worth checking out!) breakfast was her southwestern frittata topped with guac +side of tomato, lunch was her waldorf chicken salad (the homemade ranch dressing is really AMAZING!)  and dinner was prawn yellow curry (tho I had to get creative on the fish sauce - coconut aminos and a sardine in the food processor LOL)  http://againstallgrain.com/2012/05/14/thai-yellow-curry-with-prawns/. Luckily the breakfast & lunches will provide me more meals during the week because those I didn't have to share -  frankly that was a lot of cooking for one day!!

Yesterday went well but did have to eat a couple snacks because the hunger was raging before and after dinner. I was pretty sure my portions were good but I didn't want to have my metabolism shocked too much!

anyway!!! good luck to all!!

Hi all!  I started yesterday too.  Have been trying to figure out how to connect to people.  I am so glad I found this thread.  I am exhausted today. Giving up coffee/diet coke/sugar has completely zapped me.  So for now, I just wanted to introduce myself - Christa Jo - and I will read through this thread.  Happy Day 2. 

Hi all! I started yesterday (3/27) also! I did the shopping prep and cooking over the weekend. Food-wise I think I'm ok but the 5:00 glass of wine is hard to skip - cooking in the kitchen is not as much fun without a glass of wine.  Just being honest. I'm doing La Croix in a wine glass with lemon. Happy to have this forum.

kitchen 

Welcome to all the new people! So happy to see a crowd of us making healthy changes!!!

@Miranda E: i really hope today was a better day regarding 'kill all the things'?

4 hours ago, Miranda E said:

@Mariannne That would mean walking out the door and not coming back. My bank account does not agree with that idea. Ha ha...

A kitchen appliance is an excellent idea. I want an immersion blender. I shall now wait until the end of the week to order it as a congratulations you and everyone around you survived week 1! :D

Maybe there is not enough bulky veggies in your meals. The zucchini and the kale are both cooked down, so they don't take up as much room in your stomach as uncooked varieties would.  I've been adding a large handful of that kale salad mix (super 7 something) to like everything for added bulk cause I am not in salad mode yet. Today I mixed it with my kale pork and braised cabbage and then mixed all that with half an avocado. It was WAY better with the avocado added.  

Thanks for the food tips. I may need to better space my meals. I find by lunch (6 hours between meals) I'm famished but dinner (with only 5 hours between meals)  I'm just regular hungry. I'll tweak a bit more tomorrow. ;) 

My energy was pretty good today. Not low like yesterday but even. I'm grateful! I did a pretty tough hot yoga class. This instructor always makes the class extra hot! :unsure:  My body feels relaxed and peaceful. I had a lovely dinner: roast chicken, kale with coconut oil and garlic, carrot coconut curry soup. Yum!  I'm going to treat myself with a nice Epsom salt bath right before bed.

I echo @Miranda E A BIG CONGRATS to everyone here for getting through Day 2. We are getting stronger with each day!!!

So i took a stab at the cauliflower rice and the coconut curry chicken tonight.  The cauliflower rice was ok.  I think i messed it up because it was pretty mushy.  The chicken was awesome and the extra sauce over the cauliflower totally made up for the mushyness.  I find these recipes take much more time than what the book says.  I started making dinner at 4pm and we didnt actually get to eat until 7pm.  I even had a mini meltdown from being stressed out lol and jokingly said to my husband "lets order a pizza" which is something i would usually do.

I recommend the chicken.  I will be making it again and again and again.  That sauce would also be good with shrimp i think.

Have a great night everyone!

1 hour ago, NatCanada said:

So i took a stab at the cauliflower rice and the coconut curry chicken tonight.  The cauliflower rice was ok.  I think i messed it up because it was pretty mushy.  The chicken was awesome and the extra sauce over the cauliflower totally made up for the mushyness.  I find these recipes take much more time than what the book says.  I started making dinner at 4pm and we didnt actually get to eat until 7pm.  I even had a mini meltdown from being stressed out lol and jokingly said to my husband "lets order a pizza" which is something i would usually do.

I recommend the chicken.  I will be making it again and again and again.  That sauce would also be good with shrimp i think.

Have a great night everyone!

Hi @NatCanada which cookbook is this from? 

I just discovered the forums today but I also started Whole30 yesterday so I thought I'd jump in and say hi!  So far I'm enjoying the great food!  We had the ground beef & sweet potato chili on Monday and Jerk raspberry chicken with plantains tonight... this is really opening my eyes to new ways of cooking.  I'm a bit nervous about the next couple of days and how I'm going to feel lol  Thankfully my boyfriend, best friend and her husband and I are all doing this together so I won't be the only cranky one!   

@Mariannne I developed a headache which didn't help. Then I searched the forums to see of I could have Advil. Thank god the answer was yes. Much better. 

I got home from work, took the dogs for a pee and then had a 2.5 hour nap. Almost didn't have dinner, but forced myself to crawl outta bed and eat. Nuked a sweet potato, leftover pork and big handful of kale salad. And some mixed nuts. Define try need to make some condiments this weekend.

@harpchick it is awesome to find someone so close doing it. I updated my location cause I know some of the items I've read about in the forums are hard to get here so I'm hopeful us Canadians can work together.

16 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Not weighing is as much a rule as not eating dairy or grains, or not drinking alcohol. I've edited your post to remove your findings so as not to encourage/discourage others even though I'm aware this would not have been your intention.

Please be aware that weight loss is not linear, and that number will naturally fluctuate on a daily basis depending on sodium levels, liquid intake, sleep (or lack thereof), and hormones to name but a few. Bear in mind that trading fat for lean muscle may mean weight gain, but inches lost.

The number tomorrow may be higher or lower which tells you nothing about the state of your health, only your gravitational pull on earth. 

Focus your energy on the non scale victories and discover how liberating that can be.

Whoops. .sorry 

Made it through day 2 - with no snacks! Yay!! Breakfast and lunch same as yesterday (southwestern frittata & Waldorf chicken salad) dinner was Mexican burgers (another against all grain recipe) topped with guac, wrapped in romaine leaves, mushrooms sautéed in ghee and roasted sweet potato fries. I think the sweet potatoes helped fill me up better tonight. 

@Miranda E yes! It seems harder to find then necessary staples here in edmonton. I spent almost a hour wandering around planet organic downtown checking labels. Couldn't find compliant mayo, fish sauce, beef jerky or bacon. They did have back bacon and pepperoni and kielbasa. (There's actually a meat sale this week so check it out!)  I think I'll have to hit up a local butcher to get compliant bacon and sausages.  Where did you do your shopping? 

This is my 2nd time around - I must say I've allow the sugar dragon to ease it's way back into my life - just little things, but we all know it all adds up.  So starting today - no sugar in any form.  Going to get back to reading labels very closely and using the recipes in the book.  I hope to find inspiration in this forum cause I definitely need it.  Happy Wednesday! 

@harpchick I found one (fish sauce) at Save On Foods in St. Albert in the Philippine section. It's down by the freezer section. I'll take a picture of it and try to upload it. I;m gonna make my own mayo, cause I think it will be to difficult to find some, and to order it online will be too expensive. Someone posted a ketchup recipe in the forums I am gonna try and there was a BBQ sauce posted to the Whole30 Instagram page. And I've given up on finding bacon. It's just not gonna happen unless I order it. But since I don't eat bacon regularly anyways, it's not a big deal. I made breakfast sausage patties instead with ground pork.

13 minutes ago, mermaidstar8101 said:

I've been eating my salads with no dressing and if need be, I use some vinegar.

You're going to want a fat of some sort at every meal or soon you'll find it not just so easy as cravings, hunger & brain fog will set in.

Plenty of protein, yes, but alongside lots of veg & healthy fats too. Fat is your friend here ;)

So i tried using leftovers for breakfast instead of eggs because Im already getting sick of eggs but that was a bad idea.  I was gagging by midway and just couldnt finish it.  It didnt taste bad but i just cant eat that stuff in the morning.  I love a smoothie or fresh fruit and cottage cheese.  Breakfast is killing me!

Any suggestions?

On 3/28/2017 at 7:17 AM, jmcbn said:

Not weighing is as much a rule as not eating dairy or grains, or not drinking alcohol. I've edited your post to remove your findings so as not to encourage/discourage others even though I'm aware this would not have been your intention.

Please be aware that weight loss is not linear, and that number will naturally fluctuate on a daily basis depending on sodium levels, liquid intake, sleep (or lack thereof), and hormones to name but a few. Bear in mind that trading fat for lean muscle may mean weight gain, but inches lost.

The number tomorrow may be higher or lower which tells you nothing about the state of your health, only your gravitational pull on earth. 

Focus your energy on the non scale victories and discover how liberating that can be.

Whoops. .sorry 

Archived