March 27 start, Time to SHINE!!

cortadoplease

Good morning!

Had  a great weekend. Murder Mystery was so fun! Turned out I was the murder. Was so behind on Saturday though. Had to eat my meal at my friend's house before everyone showed up. Munched on veggies throughout the night and drank water outta a cocktail glass so it at least looked like I was having a cocktail. But I did miss a meal that day. I kinda ate when I got home that night. We like to sleep in on weekends (until 10-12) so, getting in 3 meals is a challenge. End up eating super late.

Yesterday we did lots of prep. made some more breakfast patties, as well as a chorizo blend for scrambles. Made ranch (it's too dilly for my liking), garlic aioli, and a bbq sauce. We did ribs with the BBQ sauce last night. It's alright. A little too tomatoey but edible.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all say seven already! Feeling a little better today. Really getting my new place into shape - I moved two months ago and still organizing, putting things together. I need to get a new couch and haven't had the energy. But think it's gonna happen this week. 

Finally made my bone broth after saying I would last weekend. :P It tastes so good - esp. with some kale and salt thrown in. I let it simmer all night - over 8 hours - with lots of ginger and carrots and green onion. So it has a nice warm zip to it. 

Hope your Monday is going smooth! 

xob

Wait! it's day EIGHT! WOOT!

@Miranda E I too have been having a little food boredom. But when I eat sautéed kale with a little balsamic I am totally satisfied. So guess it doesn't take much really..... am missing my cheese and cold cuts and pickles. Guess I could have cold cuts and pickle/cuke and hard boiled eggs still right? And olives aren't noncompliant are they? 

Also missing my home made nut granola. But my stomach is NOT missing nuts so it's just my head and habit. Interesting............

Hi all - 

I started on March 27th and so far, so good!  I have been experiencing some really mild headaches (I never got headaches before) and my skin is super dry.  I had hoped day 8 would prove magical and I'd be beyond this which I only assume to be detox symptoms?  

Anyone else feel my pain?  

Today was a good day all around, lots of energy and my mood was good.  A co-worker put a container full of chocolate chip cookies on the table next to my desk today.... it sat there all day while people came over and took cookies out.  GRRRR  I decided to go have lunch so I wasn't tempted... walked in to the lunch room ... there is a full on bake sale happening!!!!  I sat on the other end of the room and ignored them lol

Tonight we had the chili we made yesterday, it was in the slow cooker all night and it was soooo yummy!  I made more clarified butter and made our first attempt at ketchup, we'll see how that turns out once it cools down.  

@bronnyd grats on the new place!  We made chicken broth yesterday... we ended up with 36 cups of it!

@Miranda E Murder mystery sounds so fun!  Time is so our enemy sometimes isn't it!

Hi all! We made into week 2!!- So I bought my fancy sneaks today. Don't ask how much. Leather Campers (from Gravity Pope -  for those Edmonton peeps on this thread)

Like  @sooladybug I really do feel my food habits changing  - the hunger & urge to snack is gone. Really learning about the why & how of my previous eating habits. I'm pretty amazed that I haven't cracked into any of the Lara bars that I bought as emergency food.

I hear ya'll about the food boredom, I would make a big batch of "breakfast"  and then eat it several days in a row. Almost turned my stomach this morning. I'm still nervous to try something completely non-breakfasty in the morning say like soup but maybe it's worth a try.

I discovered another excellent mocktail (@Mevans) -  sparkling water and white balsamic vinegar! Sounds weird but if you have the infused kind (I had apricot) - it really is refreshing. 1 cup sparkling water to 1 - 2 Tablespoons  white balsamic vingar plus a twist of lime/lemon if you're fancy. Just watch that the vinegar doesn't have added sugar.

@sooladybug do you have a link for the recipe for that turkey spinach soup you mentioned a few days ago?

I'm so happy it is day 9!!! I am media challenged and couldn't figure out how to log onto the forum :( My sisters are also on the plan and they helped a lot. My body is ultra sensitive so for the past 4 days I have been woken up in excruciating pain.  A level below labor!!!  Crying on how toxic my body really is and the pain went to all the areas of past injury.  Today however, woke up with slight twinges so I have turned a corner!!! so happy :).   I have been struggling with being hungry and not hungry enough but have been getting in the 3 meals a day. I was used to eating 5 small meals so this has been an adjustment for me.  The food believe it or not is not the issue.  I have had one craving for tater tots which made me laugh but other than that, I am rocking this program!!!

Hi all - I'm feeling better and better each day. My energy took a real dip last week and then I overdid it in a Friday night workout jam and that wiped me out for the whole weekend.

Sounds like many of us are acclimating now.

@Miranda E that murder mystery sounds like a blast. You did good with the food and mock cocktail! 

Speaking of, @Mevans that sparkling mock cocktail sounds really interesting and healthy too. I wonder what apple cider vinegar would taste like. I"ll have to try it out, either way.

@sooladybug good for you for not breaking into those chocolate chip cookies! That must have been soooo hard. Could be practice in simply enjoying the aroma of baked goods. ;) I too am feeling less the urge to snack and hunger also gone. In fact last night all I had for dinner was a small bowl of bone broth with some kale thrown in. Just didn't feel like eating anything else. There's some fat in the bone broth and that can be satiating. Don't think that's going to last though. I enjoy eating. Think I'm past the boredom now. 

Also his morning I didn't feel like eating.  !! It's like my gut wants a little rest. Just a cup of decaf espresso with a little coconut cream. Didn't even feel like a cup of bb. My first meal today will be lunch of sausage, kale and fried eggs (I'm working from home so can whip it up in a flash). Probably will just have two meals today.

Happy week two everyone! 

Good morning!

Thanks everybody! It was actually kinda easy on Saturday. I only had to fight the urge to eat a little bit on Saturday. It's a bit of a hard habit to break, you don't realize how unconsciously you eat things at parties because you can. I am big on eating it because it's there. 

I'm finding the hard part is going out of the house. I'm so trained that leaving the house means stopping for something, even just a tea w/ milk so I have something. We were at Costco, and it was hard because i wanted to eat all the samples. Not because I was hungry, but because I couldn't. I probably wouldn't have even touched them if I wasn't doing the program, but because I can't have it, I wanted it! Have to keep telling myself that it's not that I can't have it, it's I don't need it!

Hello everyone!

Happy Day 9! I'm so happy to see new faces (@Andrea Cajuste and @micahm21 welcome!) and the same crew! Does it seem like there's fewer and fewer of us here? Or is it just me? ;)

I decided to half the amount of coffee I have every morning starting yesterday. Well, I have a fresh headache since then! As if the W30 wasn't enough lol  I'm still going easy these first two weeks. I'm hoping my high energy returns soon! ;) I'm still doing at least one yoga class per day. I've been having daily Epsom salt baths which are so relaxing and detoxifying! My sleep has been fairly good except for last night where my neighbour was making so much noise in the middle of the night. High-rise city life. What can I say?! It's left me in a bit of a grouchy mood today and I'm just exhausted due to lack of sleep and maybe the cut in caffeine.

I'm still getting used to a W30 breakfast. My family is European and I'm used to have a traditional French 'breakfast'. I usually have a coffee and a slice of Ezekiel toast with jam or almond butter. There hasn't been a day I haven't missed toast on this W30.

I made a green soup last night. I make them pretty much on the fly depending on what I have on hand. It roughly translates to this coconut green soup online. The recipe in the link is vegan but please do use beef or chicken broth in place of the vegetable broth (or vegetable broth, if you prefer). I find chicken or beef broth makes it tastes SO much better. You'll see that some of the toppings they suggest are not W30-compliant so please don't top your soup with them. I certainly didn't. I like red pepper flakes, and avocado on top. Yummy and beautiful, too!! I pair it with some roast chicken. It's great for anytime of day. I have been having these soups with protein at nearly every meal. I was making separate breakfasts but just to make my life easier, it's dinner time any time! haha 

I also made a batch of this golden milk tea. I like to have a mug in the evening about an hour or so before bed even pre-W30. It's a nice way to wind down the evening and although a bit spicy, it's really quite tasty and soothing. You'll see the recipe calls for honey or maple syrup to taste (optional) so obviously, please don't include that!

I'm continually making notes on what I'll be doing post-W30. I like my 'new coffee' (coconut milk with coffee) over my old version (almond milk + stevia + coffee). I love the idea of being completely off sweeteners even if it was just stevia. I also love the 3 meals per day. It's been nice to not have to think about food for a good 5 hours.

@bronnyd That sounds delicious! You've inspired me to make some beef bone broth this weekend!

@micahm21 I also experienced headaches in the initial week. I never get headaches. Never. I have a few other detox symptoms (small breakouts). They showed up around day 4 and kinda left on day 7 but I got another two today (day 9). Ugh... haha 

@harpchickI love the shoe reward ;) So great! We have a Gravity Pope here... I LOVE that shoe store :) So many goodies! I'm still deciding on a reward! I did buy a bottle of pure organic lavendar essential oil today. I'll add a few drops to my bath tonight. Pure bliss!

@sooladybugI hear you on the FWOB. I knew I had that kind of relationship with nut butters but I decided I think i could handle almond butter with a sliced apple on Sunday. No ... I still ate way too much! So, I've decided that I am steering clear of nuts/nut butters even after the W30 unless I'm out somewhere and the jar isn't mine. LOL 

@Miranda EI like to grab a hot beverage on the way to here and there. I have saved a tonne of money on coffee and tea since starting this Whole30. I'm not too tempted about the food 'out there' in restaurants or public places. Maybe I shouldn't feel this way but I just look at it and think: that's low-quality food and I don't eat that.

I hope everyone is having a great evening! and have a great sleep!

Marianne

Hi all! I just love having this forum ... what a great group we are ... I really enjoy all your comments and suggestions and advice and encouragement and experiences...tomorrow is Day 10!!! 

I'm with you Marianne on breakfast ... really miss a piece toast in the morning, but I must say today I didn't even think about it. I've been doing boiled egg, avocado, sautéed zucchini all mushed together in a bowl. Also - I LOVE sweet potatoe toast now ... what a great discovery. I'm still not to sure about portion size ... starchy veggies the size of a fist? So a whole small sweet potatoe?

Sooladybug- the overnight chili sounds so good. I'm gonna try that...where did you find the recipe?. Harpchick and bronnyd- mocktails -  I will get some white balsamic tomorrow and try that sparking drink. 

What does everyone think about Kombucha? I've been reading up on it on the other forums and it's allowed ... sounds like GTs is the best with no added sugar after fermentation. I tried Guava Goddess today and it was pretty good.

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, Mevans said:

Hi all! I just love having this forum ... what a great group we are ... I really enjoy all your comments and suggestions and advice and encouragement and experiences...tomorrow is Day 10!!! 

I'm with you Marianne on breakfast ... really miss a piece toast in the morning, but I must say today I didn't even think about it. I've been doing boiled egg, avocado, sautéed zucchini all mushed together in a bowl. Also - I LOVE sweet potatoe toast now ... what a great discovery. I'm still not to sure about portion size ... starchy veggies the size of a fist? So a whole small sweet potatoe?

Sooladybug- the overnight chili sounds so good. I'm gonna try that...where did you find the recipe?. Harpchick and bronnyd- mocktails -  I will get some white balsamic tomorrow and try that sparking drink. 

What does everyone think about Kombucha? I've been reading up on it on the other forums and it's allowed ... sounds like GTs is the best with no added sugar after fermentation. I tried Guava Goddess today and it was pretty good.

Kombucha is allowed as long as there is no sugar listed on the label anywhere.

Another good day it sounds like for everyone!! Today was the first time I had to go into the studio to teach (last week was spring break to no music lessons) My old pattern was  some type of unhealthy "goodies + coffee" in the late afternoon because I teach over the dinner hour, then come home and eat late and of course usually overeat! But I snuck in a delicious meal between students and don't feel a bit hungry. YAY!

@Mevans I made a stop in at  Evoolution (I think it's just an Alberta chain store that carries fancy oils & vinegars) and picked up peach, orange & vanilla and sicilian lime flavoured white balsamic vinegars.  A bit pricey but hey - cheaper than wine or prosecco! The kombucha from Costo - GT's Gingerade is really nice - but it has caffeine so I have to watch if I drink it too late in the day.

@Mariannne - I didn't know there was Gravity Pope in TO! It started here in 'lil ol' Edmonton. I have cut my coffee WAAAAY back too- down to one shot espresso in the morning - instead of 2 in the morning and then another 2 or 3 (!!) in the afternoon. I've replaced with green tea - still some caffeine but a smoother high LOL. My tummy is also very grateful. I'm totally making that green soup tomorrow!! Looks delicious and I have all the ingredients. I am really going to try and have it for breakfast....I was also a dense multigrain toast with almond butter & jam lady before this. Like every day for the past couple years.

@Miranda E I am also very big on eat all the things because they are there. My mentality is like - "it's free so I'm practically making money"  And exactly ditto on the I'm leaving the house so I better get some food on my journey. We also live walkably close to amazing cafes and restaurants (Duchess bakery -  the devil is like around the corner) and so  when out with my little guy in the stroller we always stop for a food/drink reward. It's just a habit - like so many of my eating patterns!

@sooladybug please do tell of the ketchup attempt! let us know the recipe - if it's successful lol

today stinks. caught a cold yesterday so i dont feel good. on top of that im bloated and seriously wondering why im even doing this. its really frustrating that everything gets worse before it gets better. This is the hardest ive tried to stick to a nutrition plan... ever. i know i know its only been 10 days but i have no patience

Hi there!  My husband and I started on March 26 and I discovered this thread.  Now at morning of day 11.  Its been an interesting journey and I can't complain about the food - I don't think we've ever eaten so well!  Not hitting food boredom (yet!) but it has been an adjsutment to eat three meals a day - more used to just one or two with yogurt, nuts, crackers, etc in between.  

I started mostly because I've been diagnosed with PMR and possibly other issues, so thought I'd give it a shot - even though rheumatologist said he has never seen patients improve with diet changes, but I figured I have nothing to lose and probably overdue for some healthier food habits.  So far have not seen any improvement in the PMR pains, but no worse either.  May try the AIP if I don't see any changes by next week.

Feeling good about making it this far - have never done anything like this before.  Congrats to all of you for making the journey too!  I think anyone choosing a healthier lifestyle absolutely rocks!

Hey all I too just LOVE this forum, @Mevans. Love reading all your posts and sharing experiences. 

To quote @Mariannne, I crushed yesterday. And today looks like it'll be another good, energetic and open-hearted day. I'm gonna crush it! :):) Seems I'm over the hump. That was last weekend. Thank Goddess - sometimes it seems like that cloud is so thick, it'll never dissipate. But I knew it would. And it did! I took care of myself on the worst days, drinking lots of tea and water, sleeping, reading/netflixing, gentle yoga, deep breaths epsom baths. Still doing all of that actually ;) but just not as much sleeping and reading/netflixing. Fortunately my worst days also happened on the weekend.

So hang in there @egmartin171 and @ncoughlin! You're not alone.. Be gentle with yourselves and just let the day pass. It's just a day. Tomorrow might be the same but it's just a day. It'll pass and you'll feel better for it.

Also, the timeline does say that the pants may be tighter but I put on my fave jeans today (this time last month I could not sit in them without the front button digging into my lower belly)  and LO they fit beautifully! I have been working out and the W30 is helping my bloaty belly shrink. I can see and feel it's smaller. Also butt and thighs look more slender and feel stronger. Those lunges are getting easier. It does work - just keep on one day at a time. Diligence. Now let's go out and have a double chocolate chocolate ice cream cone! :P Yuck - to tell you the truth that does not sound at all yummy - funny to think just a few weeks ago I would've been all over that.

Welcome @SallyAnnG! Glad to hear you're looking at diet for your PMR. Have you thought about getting a second /third opinion re diet and arthritis? In my personal experience, diet DOES help. In fact, it's a huge huge help. Maybe an MD who is working with a naturopath or is nutritionally aware..... There's a really good book out there called The Paleo Approach Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body by Sarah Ballantyne, PhD. It's pretty scientific, some of it's over my head but most of it I get. It talks about lifestyle factors that contribute to autoimmune diseases and how to implement a paleo diet, including budgeting and even exercise. It's avail in the library - kind of expensive but after I checked it out, I bought it. W30 also is wonderful for autoimmune health - I do the W30 because it's so straight forward and disciplined. Not sure if just a week of W30 is long enough. You very likely might go through feeling like crap for the first week or so anyhow - but id does get better.  When I first started W30 back in 2015, I was dealing with a couple health issues and incorporated the SCD diet in with W30, which wasn't hard really. I just couldn't eat yummy things like sweet potato and avocado - but now I can! Just have to stay conscious about it.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Feels so good to be sitting at my desk in my fave jeans and be comfortable. Yay!

xob 

OMG I feel like I haven't been here for awhile!  The last 2 days have been busy and I've been reading everyone's posts but couldn't sit down and reply.  Welcome to the new people :)  I'm so grateful for this group & I'm sure you'll find it helpful too!  We are 1/3 of the way through this!  I'm feeling really good today, lots of energy and good mood.. love feeling this way!

We've gotten into a rhythm here with dinners.  After supper we start our prep for the next nights supper and put the meat in the fridge so it's ready to go in the morning.  So far so good!  Definitely no food boredom here, we've only repeated 1 meal in the last 10 days.  I've been posting a pic of our meals on my Facebook each night and I've been getting a lot of questions and comments from friends and co-workers.  I love being able to tell people that I haven't had a single bout of diarrhea in 10 days, something was a daily occurrence.  If I'm being honest it happened multiple times a day, usually within 15 mins of eating.  Tomorrow my boyfriend has a work dinner to go to, he thought he was going to have to bow out because most of the places here are predominately Italian and pasta heavy.  He found out today that his boss checked menus of a couple places and choose a new restaurant in town because she thought there would be more choices for him!  So far everyone has been really understanding and supportive which is really helpful.  

@harpchick Ohhhh new sneaks.. fun!   I've been looking but we only have a couple options here and I have orthodics so I need a wider shoe which severely limits things :(  The recipe is from the Whole 30 cookbook so I don't have a link for it unfortunately.  I'll have to do some googling to see though!  The ketchup turned out really good actually! 

@bronnyd Glad you're feeling better!  Congrats on your favorite jeans fitting!

@Miranda E I hear you about wanting a tea or something when you go out.  I used to stop at Timmie's for a steeped tea on the way to work, milk & sugar in it.  I tried one without them and didn't like it lol  I'm certainly saving money not doing a Tim's run though!

@Mariannne That's so funny about your headache (not that it's funny lol) but I used to get headaches every day at work and I realized when I read that... I haven't had one all week!!

@Mevans We just discovered sweet potato toast too... it's made my breakfast supper yummy!    The chili recipe was from the Whole 30 cookbook.

@ncoughlin hope you feel better soon... keep going!

Hello all,

Welcome @SallyAnnG Happy to have you and your hubby on board :)

I feel a bit better but it's difficult to assess given I've cut way back on my caffeine (caffeine withdrawal headaches please go away, come back never!) and I didn't sleep well last night :( Idk what woke me up but it wasn't the neighbour. The funny thing about the neighbour the other night is she was yelling at someone about how much she hates Toronto. That happens to be when I woke up... half-annoyed and I hate to admit, i was mildly entertained!! lol I hope that means she's moving ;) 

I'm turning more to gratitude as much as I can. I wish I didn't need to be reminded. I wish I was continuously grateful! It was a stunning day today -- so warm. I met a new person today. Sometimes people just talk to me and share. She has been struggling with a neck injury and a broken bone in her foot. She was talking about her weight loss journey and how powerless she feels now that she can't really workout given her injuries. She's had both injuries for quite some time. I thought: damn, what would I do if I couldn't do my yoga practice?! I need my neck and my feet for that. I sometimes practice 2 hours a day, no problem. I enjoy it. It grounds me. I feel this connection with myself. What if I couldn't?! I would be so sad. How fortunate that I can... I am strong and able!!! And there's nothing stopping me! So, big gratitude to a gloriously healthy and capable body! It does everything I need and want! :)  What reason do I have to complain? none! 

Food boredom is definitely upon me. I am obviously responsible for this... but ... I'll say that it's not easy cooking for just one person! I love food... but I also love other things so they sometimes get higher priority than time in the kitchen. It is what it is. And end of the day, I'm sticking to W30 in a way that works for me.

@MevansI've heard kombucha is fabulous for you! I know most of them include sugars so I've steered clear. What brand did you find without sugars?  I'd like to give sweet potato toast a try. What are you topping your sp toasts with? 

@harpchickGravity Pope is a very large and busy place here. I only know the one on Queen W. There's plenty of loveliness coming out of Edmonton ;)  I've tried to fall in love with green tea. There's just no chemistry!!! haha Really!

@egmartin171 I want to echo other comments here. Please go easy on yourself. Rest lots. Drink lots of water. Maybe try one of my detox baths. I also use an infrared sauna at the yoga studio. It's also great for detox and recovery. Eat well, too! One day rest is not going to kill your game! We are here for support. Let us know how you're doing.

@ncoughlin and @micahm21 Stick with it. We're counting on you! Ride this lull out. It's just ONE day! Tomorrow is a new day and the next moment could change everything. You never know ;) 

@Miranda E Your post really made me smile this morning. I love that reminder ;) Thank you !! xo

@bronnyd Congrats on the jeans. And feeling GOOD has to be the best of the best there! I'm so glad you've hit that sweet spot. We're all close behind you here ;) 

@sooladybug Wow! You've had an incredible number of wins on this program. I'm so happy for you. I can't imagine how difficult food/digestion was before this W30. I'm so glad you don't have to go through that anymore! Your body is experiencing peace. That's a f*cking miracle!!!!

All, I wish everyone @bronnyd's happy feelings and a good night's rest! :)

Marianne

Hurray we made it through another day!

Not much food boredom here. I'm okay with leftovers all week! 

17834231_10154933550615380_7134213408814

This was dinner tonight.

Nom nom paleo's Damn Fine Chicken. (SO good!!!) with crispy Brussel sprouts and bacon, and roasted yam and carrot with a bit of ghee. All winners and eat it all together,  YUM! The biy friend has requested it become a regular.

Archived