March 27 start, Time to SHINE!!

cortadoplease

Congrats to all for making it to the halfway mark! And welcome @Nana Valente - great to have you come out of the woodwork.

This weekend was busy celebrating my little guy's 3rd birthday and this momma lovingly made cupcakes and piped them with buttercream icing and didn't eat a single one. It was quite sad not to take part- I didn't miss the food as much as the ritual. In the future though my kid's birthday will be one of those days it will be worth it to indulge. 

Love getting all your recipe hints and have popped then all into my paprika recipe app (THE most amazing recipe/menu planning/grocery shop app) I've made some really great stuff in the past couple of days. Today's revelation was making homemade mayo directly in a mason jar with a stick blender. Boom! Done and no blender or food processor to clean. And I tastes great too. I might never buy the mass produced stuff again. 

I made some amazing butter chicken in my instant pot (http://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-butter-chicken/) and  coconut cauliflower "rice". Whole30 or not that butter chicken recipe is a keeper. 

@egmartin171 I've made a few breakfast casserole/frittatas that I can cut into wedges for multiple breakfasts. Just quick to reheat each morning. 

@Mevans Easter is sneaking up on us - and all that damn chocolate too!! We're headed out of town to visit the inlaws so I guess I'll be packing a lot of food that's compliant. Sigh! 

@sooladybug do you have a link for the spaghetti squash jambalaya? Sounds tasty!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hullo All and YAY halfway mark!

WOW @harpchick that instant pot butter chicken looks incredible!! And thanks for the paprika recipe app tip - I'm gonna check that out for sure. 

Yes, a warm welcome @Nana Valente and glad you're still with it. It's great to get some support on these forums.

@Mevans good quest re Easter recipes. It's gonna be tricky what with all the brunchy waffles/French toast out there. I'm making Red Flannel Hash and using some of my bone broth for the beef broth. And here's and old W30 forum all about easter brunch! But best of all, Google found me this. Those cilantro lime deviled eggs look mouth wateringly wonderous. Of course, make y'own mayo.

Keep on everyone! Just two more weeks to go :)  

Thanks for having me @harpchick and @bronnyd:D

@Harpchick I'm lucky I hate storebought mayo with all my might, so I have been making my own for a long time now. I have experimented with virgin olive oil and avocado oil, but none of them tasted light enough for me, despite turning out creamy and all. I made some with ghee over the weekend and though it wasn't silky, the buttery taste stole my heart <3

Where I live Easter involves a lot of delicious fish as well as the chocolate, so I'll probably be fine.

This is me, happy as a clam, wearing my favorite skirt which I could not zip up completely just a couple of weeks ago :)

WhatsApp Image 2017-04-11 at 14.16.02.jpeg

• Moderators
On 4/10/2017 at 3:06 PM, Mevans said:

Hi all - I've been all over the internet and Whole30 sites for Easter menu ideas.  What's everyone doing?  Any great suggestions?

The Whole30 Recipes feed is doing ideas for Easter dinner today, so far I've seen garlic mashed potatoes and lemon caper chicken, I'm assuming there'll be at least  a couple more to come: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWhole30Recipes/   or https://www.instagram.com/whole30recipes/ 

Evening everybody.. welcome @Nana Valente  congrats on the skirt fitting!!    So both my boyfriend and I mentioned today that we noticed not having the mid day slump in energy or headache lately... love that!!  @harpchick here's the link to the jambalaya, it's amazing!  http://goodcheapeats.com/2016/09/spaghetti-squash-jambalaya/  We're going to make this again and add mushrooms to it!  Thank you thank you thank you for the butter chicken recipe!!  We were just saying how much we want indian food and butter chicken is my favorite!  Can't wait to add it to next week's menu!

@bronnyd Easter is tricky isn't it! The family is having ham and we said we'd just make our own meat for the 2 of us.  We'll be here to make the potatoes and veggies so we can ensure they're made Whole30 compliant.  Sunday is also my boyfriends birthday and his mom really wants to make a cake lol  We compromised with her making a cake for the family and we'll have fruit.  I wonder if you can make whipped cream with coconut milk?  lol that feels a little bit SWYPO though doesn't it?  

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Hello! I too started on March 27. I am doing the Whole30 to help break some bad habits. I was already gluten and dairy free but I cheated a lot.  I have IBS so I also follow a low fodmap diet which I would also cheat on a lot. I love It starts with food and how it changed my perspective on food making me healthier or unhealthier. I really want to make healthier choices. I am thinking I will need to continue for a longer period of time. I have had two instances where I found myself doing the same behavior just with compliant foods, ie eating late at night or not eating during the day then becoming famished and making bad choices. SO I am looking for support and would love to know how you are feeling now. I am premenstrual and much hungrier adding more sweet potatoes and white potatoes with ghee. But am craving peanut butter like you would not believe which is a no brake food for me. I have had so many successes this past two weeks I am still very motivated to continue but would like more energy (PMS might be getting in the way).  

Phew feels like a lot of information all at once!  Thanks for reading!  I look forward to chatting with you. 

Hello people!

So I made a big blunder of dinner tonight! At least boyfriend will like it. Was making dijon almond crusted chicken and spraying it with oil and did not look at the can first. It's full of SOY :angry: Luckily I only sprayed half. So sad.:(

But you should definitely mix ground almonds with smoked paprika...so yummy!

Over the weekend we played with lots of fun recipes. Made pesto (walnuts, lemon nutritional yeast basil olive oil) (Sorry the comma died on the keyboard =\) Made Cesar dressing from successful batch of mayo (recipe is at the bottom of the page for the how to whole30 mayo recipe). It is SO good!  Made taco salad. Used my faux cheese sauce as a dressing.....yum! (see a few posts back for recipe) Learned not to make ketchup with apple cider vinegar. Use white vinegar.

I've noticed this week I have been hungrier earlier. And my lunches are actually bigger in size because they have been saladish. But I havent had my normal half avocado with lunch and I think that is what it is. I am having nuts for my fat cause the avocado just doesnt mash well with what i was having. Will have to switch back.

Hey All

Wow @Miranda E the almond crust looks scrumptious - and I eat tilapia actually cuz it's cheap and you can doctor it up. I'll try it this weekend. Also love idea of almond crusted chicken. Sounds like you're having fun with new recipes and I need some of your inspiration. I actually crave a real Cesar salad with grated cheese and croutons - one of my fave goto salads for lunch. So I'll have to try that Cesar dressing too. 

OMG @sooladybug what a challenge on Easter to also have a birthday happening! Your boyfriend sounds adorable and awesome. I would love to have a boyfriend to do a W30 with. And what a trooper to agree to do it over his birthday!! Cake will still be there next month - you two will have to go out (once you reintroduce everything) and celebrate. :) 

@Strictlyspeaking I so get where you're coming from with the IBS and basically eating healthy but cheating nonetheless. ;) And peanut butter is something I've been reallyyyy missing also. Glad you're here!!

So I have to fess up and say I was this close to breaking up with W30 this morning. Like standing-in-line-to-order-a-croissant-breakfast-sandwich close. I was on short a road trip, left yesterday aft. Had myself covered yesterday but coming back early morning today...... well first, I love a treat on morning road trips and second I love me a breakfast sandwich with coffee on morning road trips. I was sleepy, grumpy, hungry and couldn't find any real food because I didn't plan well at all for the trip back. I was at a gas station / snack store / dunkin donuts that sold breakfast sandwiches. 

I actually had a conversation with you gals in my head while standing in line and that's what kept me from caving. I found myself muttering out loud while stomping to the fridge section for some water -- and LO hidden way back in the corner there were little packets of hard boiled eggs (two in each with salt included) and fruit cups - one with pineapple only. So that's what I bought for breakfast - along with a little bag of almonds, even though I'm not supposed to be eating nuts. And an Americano even though I'm not supposed to be drinking coffee/espresso. 

I would have felt awful for that 5 minutes of gratification with the sandwich. And although the breakfast wasn't a perfect W30 template, at least it was food compliant. That said, my belly still acted up a bit and I'm thinking it's the coffee because it felt the same as when I decided to stop it altogether last week. Coffee, even decaf, can irritate a gut that is already sensitive to gluten. I'm also thinking it could be the almonds or even the pineapple because it's so sugary. Intuitively, I think the pineapple is ok - it's good for digestion and I've never had a problem with it. I guess this is why we do a reintro right? Nonetheless, I'm back to no coffee or nuts and very little fruit for the rest of the month (and then some).

Thanks for keeping me on track, W30 forum friends!!!

xoxo 

Aww @bronnyd  GOOD FOR YOU! You stuck it out... I'm so impressed happy for you and I'm laughing that we were in your head... so happy we are all there for each other. Let's not break-up after Day 30.  So, today is Day 18 and I look at it this way: only 2 more days til only 10 more days and we can do it for 10 more days! Ha!

Today I made mayo and clarified butter and hope to continue with these ... they are so easy and healthy ... never want to by mayo again.  Love my immersion blender for the mayo ... a must! Thanks for all the Easter ideas and recipes ..I made practice gravy today and it is good... will be even better with some turkey drippings on Sunday. I'd love to hear what everyone is serving/eating on Easter. I will have a houseful so am making a ton of food ... all compliant! Here's what I'm doing - thanks for all the ideas!

Appetizers: Veggies with Whole30 ranch, Quac with plantain chips -( thanks @SugarcubeOD for the thumbs up on homemade plantains), Deviled eggs with homemade mayo, chives and dill. 

Dinner: Roasted turkey, Waldorf salad, Sweet and spicy sweet potatoe wedges, Sesame roasted asparagus, Mashed potatoes (thanks @ShannonM816

No Dessert!

@bronnyd I hear you on the temptations!  I've been at a training workshop all week with endless treats and candy being passed around and at the break station (and most of the little prizes I've won have been candy :wacko:).  I've been hanging tough - bringing my own lunches and no snacks, giving away the candy and treats - but a little bummed on having to skip the after hours social hour.  Tomorrow we're going to a French Bakery at lunch - not sure how I'm going to work in a compliant lunch since we're getting kicked out of our meeting room and will be headed out on a field trip to another agency after lunch.

Any ideas for a small meal or items I can eat during the workshop before we leave for lunch?

@Mevans Easter sounds wonderful - lots of great ideas there!

How are you all feeling? I have more energy for sure. I am also listening to my hunger cues rather than boredom. But.. I am having trouble to day with snacking. I was not hungry this am and had to leave house then ate when I got back but was not hungry so did not eat enough. Then went out on the boat and forgot my food! After a work out and a run on the beach I was going to try and wait to eat 4 hours but could not. Everything is super compliant but I am def in catch up mode. The no snacking thing gets the towel if I get too hungry. One of my goals with this was to stop snacking especially at night. 

@MevansI will still be around after the 30days I have decided. I keep getting on the scale and like I said there is the snacking thing. I would like to keep working  on that. I do miss chocolate. And peant butter. But they will be there when I can enjoy one not the whole box!!!

@SallyAnnGany tips you figure out will be helpful. I will be out of town for Friday and Saturday next in a hotel at a conference. I will need a cooler for sure. 

Have a happy Easter. We don't have a lot of family in town so I make a roasted chicken with carrots potatoes and a veg and call it a day.  

Happy Easter weekend! Love hearing about all your ups and downs. I've felt pretty good the past few days except for afternoon energy dips and the non-compliant food DREAMS! Three nights in a row I've accidentally "eaten" food - my son's cheerios, then chocolate and last light pizza. Each time time I'm spitting it out or not realizing what I've done until half way through. Interesting what the brain is doing - reorganizing I presume! What's weird is that I haven't even been craving any non-compliant foods. Though....been craving a beer with the playoff hockey :) 

@bronnyd good on ya for staying  strong! I likes me some road food and I'm on a trip this weekend down to the in laws. 

@Strictlyspeaking welcome! And yes I've packed an entire cooler to bring with me this weekend :) I premade butter chicken for all and a sausage/butternut squash casserole type thing for my breakfasts. Also cooked chicken, hard boiled eggs, mayo and lots of veggies. I managed to kick my snacking (I was also very bad for nighttime/pre-dinner eating) after I adjusted my meals to have more fat and starchy veg. I actually can't believe how long I can go between meals now. But like you I have gotten caught without food and it really throws my gut out of whack. I have IBD (ulcerative proctitis) - so    I think that's why we have to be more careful about spacing meals. I also heard that our symptoms might get worse befor better because our gut needs to heal. How have your symptoms been? I had a little bit of a flare last week but kicked it quickly with some medication. 

@SallyAnnG must be so tough to be at the workshops! Hard boiled eggs are so great for snacking - compliant pepperoni sticks. Short of packing an entire lunch like you've been doing- I'm not sure what I'd do! Hope the French bakery worked out ok. 

@Mevansisn't the immersion blender mayo a miracle?? Your menu looks amazing -we'll expect pix! I'm curious on your gravy - I tried thickening something with arrowroot powder and it was really gelatinous. 

I happened to go back to the first page of this thread and noticed that there were a lot more folks at the beginning - are you all still hanging in there? I hope so! We're almost 2/3 done. 

@Strictlyspeaking & @harpchick at least I don't feel alone with these dilemmas!  It was not so hard today - I just found some raw nuts and compliant bars, and had some salad without dressing for lunch.  We've been sticking really tight to three meals/day and no snacks so haven't put in much time thinking about other compliant foods.  Was sad to pass up the French pastries and latte - don't often go for things that sweet but they really looked yummy!  The workshop is over now so will be back in the office next week - easier to stay clean when I'm in my routine.

Definitely sleeping better and have more energy - especially noticable in the evenings.  Stomach still sorting things out but has generally been ok.  Looking forward to the weekend and realxing.  Will be scouting out Costco tomorrow for complaint bacon and organic foods.  This will be a new experience for me - have never joined but seems to be the best place in town for these things from what I hear.

Have a great weekend and Happy Easter everyone!  

I just remembered I dreamt I ate a Carrs water cracker with brie and then spit it out too @harpchick  !!!  My symptoms have not been great. I needed some Bentyl last week because of pain. Things are looking/feeling better though. @SallyAnnG Costco is the bomb but every one is different. My mom can get compliant bacon in Texas but not me. They have the Kelly gold butter and a fab price. And the avocado oil is amazing and a good price. I don't buy my meat or eggs there because I don't trust the quality. The yolks are noticeably less yellow than the pastured eggs I get at whole foods.

This weekend I have been having mad cravings... my boyfriend too!  We're holding strong though and determined to get through to the end without cheating!  We decided that since we can't eat the ham tomorrow we're going to make butter chicken... thanks for the recipe @harpchick!  I picked up a cake for the rest of the family and 2 platters of fruit for us.  We're going to put his birthday candle in the fruit lol.  

My boyfriend is expressing frustration at how much time we have to spend on food prep, on the plus side though he is interested in exploring eating paleo after our 30 days are over.  He is pretty awesome @bronnyd... I think I'll keep him!

We made Beef & Squash collard green enchiladas with cashew cream except we made it with pulled pork instead of beef because we had a ton left over from the Kahlua pork.  It was amazing!!  We didn't plan to make this until today so we didn't know that cashew cream needed 24 hours to make it.  We improvised and got cashew butter, added water and blended it.. voila .. cashew cream!!

Welcome @Strictlyspeaking!  My boyfriend has been having food dreams too lol

Hope everyone has a great Easter weekend... stay strong my friends!!!

I am really starting to see a shift in the way I am thinking about food. I so often eat out of boredom or frustration. But today I am really not even thinking about when the next meal is. I am getting used to not grazing all day and I feel better for it. My energy is more constant. And my craving for peanut butter is totally diminishing. Not saying it might not come back....Oh and I am really enjoying making our easter dinner. 

Hope you had a great day. 

Good morning all!

Kinda glad that weekend is over. By far the hardest day. Didn't help I was charged with dessert (which is my normal duty on holidays) It was so hard not to like the spatula on Saturday while making angel food. And the bits left in the pan are my favourite...so it was out of the pan and right into the sink of soapy water before I could lick the pan!  It also sucked cause I just made marmalade for the first time, and served it with the cake and didn't get to taste it. But everyone said it was good. And dessert was the only non complaint part of dinner, so that helped. 

This not eating when you are emotional is hard. I was super annoyed last night at just about everything, BUT i wasn't craving food. So that's a big improvement. It just meant I was frustrated for a good long while. 

Can't believe there is only 8 days left!! Im actually kinda of afraid for the days afterwards. That I will revert  back to my old ways. Might just go ahead and start another round or two, but after my boyfriends birthday.

Hi @Miranda E and all! Very tough day - not the same kind of fun - but the food was good. The gravy is a keeper now, as well as the ranch dressing and deviled eggs with Whole30 mayo. No need to go back to unhealthy versions of those. I ended up making real mashed potatoes (butter and cream) just because they are everyone's favorite and I just don't love the Whole30 version. For any other dinner the Whole 30 would be fine but not on a holiday with tons of people. I LOVE mashed potatoes. So I didn't have any - not even to taste for salt and pepper. So, I hear you with your dessert. Having the structure and rules of the program made it easier to resist.

It was also tough because the day was so long with everyone snacking all day and lots of champagne and wine. I had so much sparkling water with every variation of squeezed lemon, grapefruit, lime ... whatever I could think of.

BUT - made it through the day. And I'm happy for that. Someone said it earlier ... I didn't really miss the food and beverage it was more the ritual.  That is so true. It was a different kind of day.  I am learning a new way to socialize.

I am feeling uncertain also about days 31 and beyond. There are so many good practices I want to continue and lazy practices I don't want to start up again. 

How did everyone do over the weekend??

Agree - weekends are the hardest!  And especially when you have company, family and a big event.  @Mevans and @Miranda E I don't know how you did it without cheating on the wonderful things you prepared - you are so strong!!!  (And unselfish!)  It was much easier for me as it was just my huband and me.  We made a simple roasted chicken and the green beans with fig vinaigrette and the sausgae, squash, apple casserole - all from the whole 30 book.  It was a lot of work but it was wonderful  - and the sausage, squash casserole was great for breakfast this morning.

Looking forward to day 31 but hope not to change a lot.  In fact, likely to go for the AIP protocol.  Thanks for the tip on the book @bronnyd!  Ordered through Amazon and should arrive tomorrow.

Hi All

Sorry I fell off the radar for a couple days. Easter weekend was tough - I actually felt sick on Saturday but snapped back on Sunday and was soooo tempted again to have just one cracker. But no I didn't do it. 

Wow @SallyAnnG good for you for staying awayyy from the candy/treat prizes. Kinda goes to show how much junk food plays a part in our daily lives huh? 

@Strictlyspeaking good to hear about the energy! This W30 is a reset button for me ... it's funny how we humans have to keep being reminded again and again until it sinks in! I feel so much better!!

@Mevans that would be the worst having to hang around peeps who are snacking and drinking champagne, both of which I LOVE. 

I was going to do just a W27 this time around because I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow - woohoo! but have decided to stick with the last three days in Dublin because I feel so good! My belly is grateful and thanking me. :)

Reintro in Europe will be tricky. Am thinking of starting with dairy cuz I miss my cheese, then wheat so I can have a croissant, then alcohol (wine only) (well maybe after wine, whiskey cuz there are some great Irish whiskey tastings apparently - but definitely not the recommended whiskey for every meal reintro that W30 suggests :P). 

Happy final week everybody!! I might be incognito after tomorrow but will be thinking about all of you. xoxb

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, bronnyd said:

Hi All

Sorry I fell off the radar for a couple days. Easter weekend was tough - I actually felt sick on Saturday but snapped back on Sunday and was soooo tempted again to have just one cracker. But no I didn't do it. 

Wow @SallyAnnG good for you for staying awayyy from the candy/treat prizes. Kinda goes to show how much junk food plays a part in our daily lives huh? 

@Strictlyspeaking good to hear about the energy! This W30 is a reset button for me ... it's funny how we humans have to keep being reminded again and again until it sinks in! I feel so much better!!

@Mevans that would be the worst having to hang around peeps who are snacking and drinking champagne, both of which I LOVE. 

I was going to do just a W27 this time around because I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow - woohoo! but have decided to stick with the last three days in Dublin because I feel so good! My belly is grateful and thanking me. :)

Reintro in Europe will be tricky. Am thinking of starting with dairy cuz I miss my cheese, then wheat so I can have a croissant, then alcohol (wine only) (well maybe after wine, whiskey cuz there are some great Irish whiskey tastings apparently - but definitely not the recommended whiskey for every meal reintro that W30 suggests :P). 

Happy final week everybody!! I might be incognito after tomorrow but will be thinking about all of you. xoxb

Just a thought about re-introing in a different country... You 'may' want to reset when you get back and then do another re-intro... I do know of a few people who cannot eat dairy or bread here in Canada but had no problem in Brussels or Italy... The fact of the matter is that in some European countries, things are a lot less processed or made with different varieties of ingredients than at home... Not at all saying you shouldn't re-intro in Europe, but just bear it in mind when you come home and assume that if dairy was fine there it's fine here... may not be the case.  Have a great trip!!

Thank you, @SugarcubeOD !! I was thinking of doing another W30 after Europe - just hop right back on the band wagon on May 15. Then I could do a 'proper' reintro in mid June and enjoy the summer. :) Also, it's going to be veryyyy difficult to not overindulge at times with all the different European cuisines and treats - but I do have resolve to be mindful. Beeeee mindfuuuul. So Thanks again - methinks I'll just commit to doing a reset when I get back. That said, do you think it needs to be another W30? Am thinking of doing something like a W10 or W15........

Archived