Still Hungry!

Hi everyone! My boyfriend and I are over a week into our second attempt of the Whole30, and we're starving! I don't recall being as hungry as we are. I think we're eating a well balanced diet (for example, chicken sausage and eggs for breakfast, a banana for a snack, a salad with protein for lunch, an apple with almond butter for a snack, and then protein, veggies, and a sweet potato for dinner). We eat until we're full, but are hungry soon thereafter. Has anyone experienced this? Should we be eating more or less of something? Snacking more? 

I must say, we are definitely more satisfied with smaller portions on the Whole30 -- at least I am. I just didn't think I'd experience hunger and hour or two after eating a filling meal of protein, carbs, and veggies. 

Thanks~

Your hunger will probably be better regulated if you follow the meal template of three meals and no snacks. Make sure you're eating the recommended amounts and don't forget the fats as those help keep you satisfied. Fat is really key and you don't mention any.  If you do need a snack make it a mini meal of protein and fat/veggies and not fruit/nutbutter as those may just stimulate your appetite. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

• Moderators

As ArtFossil said, definitely try to follow the meal template.

So for breakfast, have chicken sausage, eggs, a whole heap of vegetables, and half an avocado.  Salads generally need to be huge to really keep you satisfied -- be sure you add heartier vegetables to it in addition to the typical leafy greens. Adding beets, jicama, carrots, broccoli, even roasted sweet potato, in addition to your lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc., will help, and it's fine to have olives or avocado or some coconut flakes or nuts/seeds in addition to the salad dressing. And be sure you're adding fat at dinner too -- have some mayo to dip your veggies in, or make pesto or chimichurri to go over your protein or vegetables, add some ghee or coconut oil to your sweet potato. If you make your meals more like this, you probably won't need snacks unless you just have longer days with more than 4-5 hours between meals. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I did my first W30 a couple of years ago, and it was quite a success...But, life happened, and I jumped off the wagon until April 4th.  I am now on Day 10, and have noticed (today only) that I feel a bit hungry between meals, mostly after lunch.  I'm fairly sure I'm eating enough, and I am having my 3 meals daily, with about 4-5 hours between each. 

Here's an example of what a normal day's intake looks like: 

Breakfast - 3 Eggs, 1 1/2 to 2 cups of broccoli, 10 whole black olives, and sometimes I add a 1/2 an apple

Lunch - Chicken breast, mixed with compliant mayo, with either broccoli or dill pickle, and a sliced tomato - I sometimes add a 1/2 an apple to this also...

Dinner - Protein, veggies, and fat - We have different meals, but we (my husband is W30ing with me) always make sure we have what we're supposed to have.  If I have fruit, it is usually just an apple a day, with a meal. 

I'm also drinking LOTS of water, and have completely given up my diet cokes.  :)

Like I said - I am just sensing the hunger between lunch and dinner.  Is this normal for Day 10, or does anyone see anything that stands out on my food diary?

Thanks gang!

@SugarcubeOD

• Moderators

Hey!

Okay, so your breakfast looks awesome, but I'd maybe add a few more olives... when you do olives as fat, it's a couple open heaping handfuls.

Your lunch is where there are a few more places to tweak... I doubt you're eating 2-3 cups of pickle... don't forget that every meal wants a plate full of veggies... How much chicken breast are you having and how much mayo?  Maybe add some avocado to that to up your fat along with more veggies?

Good on the giving up of diet cokes... I used to be a Coke Zero hound... crazy addicted... I haven't drank a pop in years now and it's great!

Try and up your lunch size/makeup and see if that helps :)

Archived