Chronic Migraines - Difficult to Eat Three Meals Daily

I have been doing Whole 30 for approximately seven weeks. I have had wonderful results with my chronic migraines. The migraines have gone from daily, intractable pain and have been reduced to about four days a week (INCREDIBLE results)! I believe much of this has to do with inflammatory issues from food triggers that I didn't realize existed. So, I don't intend to give up on the plan. The problem is I am also determined to lose weight. Prior to the plan, I lost approximately 70 pounds on Weight Watchers. I lost about 13 pounds within the first few weeks of the plan, but have ceased to lose any additional weight. I still have about 30 pounds to go. With the severe pain I experience, I often must stay in bed until between 11 a.m to 3 p.m. Therefore, I don't have time during the hours left in the day to fit in three meals. I have no problem eating within the plan for the two meals I am able to eat daily. I wonder if the inability to eat three meals is hindering my progress in losing additional weight. I also have limited ability to fit in much physical activity. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!! 

• Moderators

Just to clarify, the 'plan' you're referring to is W30?  What day are you on?  Did you mean that you've weighed yourself while you've been on Whole30 or was that related to Weight Watchers.

If you are in fact, on a Whole30 then let me remind you that it's not a weightloss diet and it's 30 days... If you haven't reached the end of 30 days, then you're not done the program and people who have ongoing medical conditions oftentimes need significantly longer due to the body's immune response, meds etc.

Eating only two meals a day is not going to be the healthiest but since you can't actually be awake long enough to eat the third meal, it sounds like this is sort of a way of life for you.  My advice to anyone else woud be, yes, eat three meals, but since you physically can't do that, I don't know what sort of recommendation to make... You cant force yourself to just deal with the pain but not eating enough is not great... it's kind of rock and a hard place :(

Hi, SugarcubeOD - This is my seventh week on W30. Indeed, I am between a rock and a hard place!! I'm hoping to not only continue the health benefits I've experienced with W30, but also continue my weight loss. Although I realize this is not specifically a weight loss program, my understanding is that many people do lose weight. Do you think adding that third meal will help in my weight loss journey?

• 4 weeks later...

I found eating three meals a day actually helps my migraines (vestibular migraines), due to its positive impact on hormone regulation and blood sugar. Can someone help you make the third meal?

Archived