Fatty Liver Disease

Hey Whole30ers, 

I have fatty liver disease (and diabetes) and as such, am not supposed to eat too much dietary fat, or any refined carbs. The refined carbs thing works great with the Whole30, but not necessarily fat. The dietary fat included in the Whole30 plan is not what my doc and dietitian has recommended.

This leaves me with a few options:

1.  Do a Whole 30 anyway, possibly causing problems with my fatty liver (not thinking this is a good option)

2. Do a Whole 30 with less fat - will it even work this way?

3. Do a "Whole Lindsay" (yeah that's my name) and eliminate gluten, diary, and beans, but keep quinoa, oats, ect. Sprout/soak/ferment as much as possible. 

4. Do a "Whole Lindsay" and eliminate all grains and dairy, but keep beans/legumes - sprout and ferment them to eliminate some anti-nutrients. 

My rationale for keeping beans OR grains (non gluten grains) is that I have to have something to eat, if I am eliminating some fat from my diet. 

I realize none of this is perfect, but neither am I! I have significant health issues that I also don't want to ignore, but I also see the emotional benefits of the program. 

#1, follow your doctors' orders above Whole 30.

"Diets rich in rapidly-digested carbohydrates cause fatty liver disease."

https://www.sciencedaily.com

"When sugar melts out of high-glycemic index food, Ludwig explains, it drives up production of insulin, which tells the body to make and store fat. Nowhere is this message felt more strongly than in the liver, because the pancreas, which makes insulin, dumps the hormone directly into the liver, where concentrations can be many times higher than in the rest of the body. Fat buildup in the liver, or fatty liver, is usually symptomless, but it increases the risk for liver inflammation...."

Sugar and candy; chocolate that contains hydrogenated vegetable oils which are most unhealthy. 

Foods containing flour.

“Diet foods”  – they are usually low in fat and high in sugar or artificial sweeteners, eg. Diet yogurts, diet jams, diet ice-cream, diet sodas, etc; 

Fried snacks – such as potato chips, tortilla chips, pretzels, crackers, etc.

Pizza

Fried take away foods.

Biscuits – both sweet and savoury varieties, as they contain flour, hydrogenated vegetable oils, and if sweet will be high in sugar.

Crumpets, muffins, bagels, white bread and donuts.

Hey @linzyann &welcome to the forums :)

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning for keeping legumes given that they are carb dense and you'll want to be limiting your dietary sugars (even naturally occuring ones, and in particular fructose).

What has your Dr suggested?

You are supposed to follow your doctor's orders per Whole30...

...however, be mindful that medical doctors are not often trained in nutrition, unless your doc is a naturopath or functional medicine provider and sometimes a person needs to be an advocate for their own healthcare and do their own research to truly benefit themselves. Just throwing that out there for you.

Referring to what MeadowLily said above, processed foods are the contributor non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Fat does not make a person fat or cause fatty liver (unless its a toxic type of fat like canola oil). This is a myth that has unfortunately scared the populous into being terrified of any type of fat. 

• 9 months later...

I recently had a liver biopsy. My doctor called to tell me that I have 80% fatty liver. She too has a fatty liver and advised she is on Whole30, suggested I try it, and my RA doc also called and also agrees. 

So while not an endorsement either way, both my GI and RA docs agree this is the recommended diet.  

Archived