Started March 6 - Reading Food Freedom Forever

mompoet

Doing good! Half and half with my coffee this morning, but it was kind of gross without sugar.  I prefer it black now. Also, I put half and half in my scrambled eggs and had goat cheese with sauteed spinach. I feel fine, which is surprising.  Really enjoyed the goat cheese. I'm going to have some cheese with my chicken hash for lunch and then a baked potato with butter, sour cream, and compliant bacon along with my carnitas this evening.

I did weigh myself this morning (I almost forgot to do it!) and although I haven't weighed myself in a while, I'm down 2 lbs from January, when I was probably trying to lose weight in earnest.  So that's good! 

In about a week, I'm going whole hog with the alcohol for my husband's birthday.  Tequila! My husband is expecting to carry me home. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Melly88 I am definitely going to try that recipe - looks so yummy and easy!

@KiwiJG So sorry about the steel cut oats! I am looking forward to reintroducing oats into my breakfast repertoire. I wonder if you might be able to handle a smaller portion of oats? This recipe from Oh She Glows might be worth a try sometime down the line: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/24/apple-pie-oatmeal/  It uses just 1/3 cup of rolled oats (not steel cut). It makes one huge serving or two more modest servings. I never add the maple syrup into the mix, but I do like to drizzle some on top!

@DaskiMom Great learn about the wine. I had a glass of red wine last night after supper (I was afraid I would drink it too quickly if I had it with my meal). I too felt like I could stop before I finished the glass. I wonder if Melissa's "one bite" rule can be applied to beverages as well? I get what you mean about kombucha as a better choice for an at-home beverage. I woke up feeling fine, but I think I'll stick mostly to my new favorite - sparkling water (unsweetened) with a handful of frozen, non-sweetened berries for a garnish.

@spunky1 Waiting to hear how your dairy re-intro turns out. Skim milk is one of my favorite things. I know that sounds weird, but it's one of two things I missed first time around (along with hummus). I'm waiting on the dairy a bit, as I suspect I may have to at least moderate my intake, if not give it up all together.

Is anyone reading Food Freedom Forever? I'm working my way through it in small bites, and enjoying the chapter on quick and easy strategies for making good choices about indulgences.

Also,  is anyone journalling their daily food and experiences? I'm writing notes in a notebook, mostly to motivate myself to stay intentional. I did this through the first 30 days, and I found it helped.

Happy weekend all! Congrats on all of the weight loss, NSVs, and continued resolve to be healthy and happy with food!

Great to see everyone's updates! Thanks for the oatmeal recipe @mompoet- I had only used 1/4 C steel cut oats but they are pretty dense so maybe normal rolled oats would be better.  

So what I've being doing is having very small little introductions of things and loving it! For example - we went out to a restaurant the other night and I had 2 sips - 2 sips of my   husband's beer and it was wonderful!  Then this morning I had 1/2 english muffin with melted butter - and the small amount was all I needed with my paleo bacon, egg, mushrooms, and strawberries.  It was fabulous! I already know I had a sensitivity to gluten so I am going to see how I feel when I just have very small amounts.  I'm not going to reintroduce dairy (well apart from the occasional 1/2 t of  butter for that muffin) or sugar (apart from what will be in some dressings etc).  Hoping I can continue this - I love the philosophy of 'you can eat it if you want to', so far it works well for me.

@DaskiMom and @mompoet - do you make your own kombucha? I've been making it for almost a year and love it! Sometimes I serve it in a champagne glass with some soda water and it seems very like champagne.   Another drink I like is club soda with ice and lime wedges, and just a few drops of Angostura bitters.

Loving the support and motivation of this group!!

@KiwiJG I am glad you like the recipe. I have not made kombucha before. I guess it's time to try! How do you do it?

I like the idea of trying small bits of reintroduced foods to find out how much is enough to be satisfying. Having tried red wine yesterday, I decided to be totally Whole30 again today. So far, wine is OK. I think I'll try oats next. I do miss my oatmeal! I'll take a tip from you and serve myself a small amount, along with other good foods, including protein, vegetables and fat. I think the best plan is to no longer have the grain be the main event - keep it as a side dish. That will be a change for me!

I cooked up the egg roll in a bowl recipe that @Melly88 shared. It's super easy and very delicious. I also tried a plantain for the first time. I got a yellow one, and fried it up in some coconut oil, with a little salt. It was delicious! Like a cross between a potato and a banana, but chewy and crispy. It was a bit of an odd combo with the egg roll dish, but just right after a long run. 

Keep on keeping on!

How have I waited this long to try the salmon cake recipe someone posted in our other thread?? It was part of my meal prep last night and I'm so excited for the week.  I've been doing a slow reintroduction, and so far my only issue has been with a beer I drank this weekend.  I didn't have issues with bread, but the beer completely tore my stomach apart.  I've also found that I don't like the fruity wines that I used to drink (rose, white zin, etc).  They are too sweet!  Anyone have a good (cheap) red wine that they recommend?

Does anyone know the benefits of using coconut sugar in place of other sugars in recipes?  I made ham last night and used it in place of the brown sugar my mom always used.  I know it isn't Whole 30 compliant, but I'm thinking it might be a good substitute for recipes that I enjoy but that call for sugar.  Thoughts?

I've only reintro'd legumes and corn (4 days apart, with completely w30 otherwise).  What I've learned is that MY body loves the extra energy that legumes fuel, but the bad effects are some bloating, gas, and mild constipation (if it was an everyday sort of thing it wouldn't be mild).  So legumes will only be an occasional thing before a big workout, race, ...

I'm going to reintro corn by itself again in a week or so, because I'm not exactly sure if my reaction of wanting to munch the whole next day was from a serving of tortilla chips and a serving of popcorn with ghee on corn reintro day.  I did eat w30 the next day though!  Funny thing is that I used to be so 'addicted' to tortilla chips pre-w30.  Now I could care less about eating them.  The popcorn with ghee was great though!  But I don't want to have munchies all day the next day, so popcorn will be a rare treat.

I'm doing my reintro a little differently because I tested positive to certain food sensitivities.  So I'm reintroing them individually to see if they are true food sensitivities, or if it was a false positive due to my gut being in such bad shape from everything.  Next up for reintro is rice (around Wed).  I was only drinking wine to help me sleep and relieve anxiety.  Both of those are so much improved I don't want to reintro wine for a while.  And dairy and gluten will not be reintro'd for a long time.

Happy Monday! Legume reintro day over here and guess who forgot to buy peanut butter??

I managed to dig up some dry roasted peanuts I had stashed in the "Forbidden Foods" bins I have in the basement and had a handful with breakfast.  I wasn't ever a huge fan of peanuts and peanut butter was one of those things that is best when served with chocolate (which I'm still not having), so I'm kind of "meh" about peanuts.  Beans, on the other hand, I kind of miss so I'm hoping that my black beans with lunch and chick peas with dinner are well-tolerated by both me and husband.

Question about reintro (this may be in the books and I missed it, so bear with me) - if we reintro something and there are no real ill effects, does that stay on the menu going forward or does it go back on the "no" list until we finish reintroducing everything else? In other words, I had wine on Thursday evening and it was fine. We still had half of the bottle left, though, so we had a glass with dinner on Saturday night. Again, felt like I didn't need to finish the glass (so I didn't), but didn't notice any other symptoms.  Should we have done that, though? Can we have wine now whenever or do we have to go completely W30 clean until we finish reintro? Am I making any sense???

@KiwiJG - I haven't made my own kombucha before, but I'm all about DIY in the kitchen, so please share how you got started! I looked on Amazon and saw a few starter kits, but wanted to get your input first since you've done it successfully already. 

@Sara13 - so funny - I made the salmon cakes yesterday for my lunches this week and could kick myself for not making them before now! I made them pretty tiny (heaping tablespoon-sized) so I could have three on my salad for lunch.  YUM!

NSV for the weekend - neighbor sent over some amazing-looking birthday cake yesterday. Cake is my weakness - the thicker the buttercream, the better. Kids each had a piece and the last little sliver sat on a plate on the counter staring at me. I knew I couldn't have the cake part as we're still off gluten, but that buttercream (also technically not allowed as it BUTTERcream) was calling me... so I had a swipe.  Just a fingertip worth. And it was okay.  Not amazing enough to go back for another swipe, so I stopped there and had my tea. Obviously I gave in to a bit of craving, but I stopped when I realized that it wasn't worth it.  For me, that's huge.

@DaskiMom According to the book you are just supposed to reintro 1 at a time, and otherwise eat w30 compliant.  The reason being is that while you might not have an adverse reaction or urge to "eat all the things" with the food that you had tested and that passed the test with your body, but the combination of the newly reintro'd food along with that other food that seemed fine on it's own, may have an adverse reaction for you.  And, if it does, you won't know if it was the newly reintro'd food, or the combination of that food with the food that seemed fine when you reintro'd it by itself.  I hope I'm making sense.  I will look in the book tonight and see what page I read that.

I went out to our local craft brewery Sunday afternoon, and had a beer with my son. We also ate ribs and coleslaw from the food truck outside. I'm sure the sauce on the ribs had sugar in it, but otherwise I think all was introducing was the beer. I enjoyed a big fresh IPA immensely, until I was about 2/3 through the glass, then I decided I had enough, so I gave the rest to my son. That's a first for me! I felt pretty good, so I thought I was in the clear for beer, but at early morning yoga I started to feel a bit queasy. The feeling stuck around until I had my breakfast (after yoga), but that's my normal routine, and usually I am ok with it. I wonder if the beer is not good for me. I hope that's wrong! I'll not drink beer again for a while, then try it again when I'm not going to yoga super early in the morning.

Is anyone getting into Food Freedom Forever yet?

I'm back from our vacation, and I did a little better than I thought I would (i.e., it wasn't an utter failure). I think the only thing I consciously avoided successfully was dairy and gluten, which are big ones. Because we had to go out to eat, I wasn't overly fussy if the mayo was made with a non-compliant oil, etc.  But, I introduced way too much at once. Thankfully I didn't experience too much distress, and kept notes on what I ate. 

Last night, however, I ate a piece of Lindt chocolate (my husband bought about three pounds of it, grrr) and today my guts hate me. I feel awful, so think the dairy must have done me in. I've not gotten a chance to go to the grocery store since returning from vacation so am looking forward to doing that tonight and getting back on the Whole30 plan for a few days then trying to do a more proper re-introl 

Glad to see everyone doing well... keep us posted!

On 4/10/2017 at 11:16 AM, DaskiMom said:

@KiwiJG - I haven't made my own kombucha before, but I'm all about DIY in the kitchen, so please share how you got started! I looked on Amazon and saw a few starter kits, but wanted to get your input first since you've done it successfully already. 

I also make my own kombucha. If you don't know anyone with a scoby, you can order them easily enough. Heck, I could send you one if you sent me your address.  I started mine from a scoby I purchased on Amazon. It's super easy... use a gallon of filtered water to make a strong black tea (has to be black.. not green or fruity) and a cup of sugar. When it's cooled enough to not kill the scoby pour it in your container (I use one of those glass containers with a spigot on the bottom so I can just drain it out when it's time... it's big enough and you're supposed to use glass only) and cover it with a tea towel or something like that. I always do a secondary fermentation. To do that, I cook down some fruit (my favorite is raspberry mint- but I'm always experimenting with flavors- it's a very forgiving process) with 1c water and 1/4 c sugar. Decant your kombucha into another glass container and add the fruit mixture and cover *tightly* for a few days. Viola. 

When you make your first batch, it will take a couple weeks because the scoby you'll start out with is small. It's also dependent on temperature, so the warmer your space the faster it will ferment. But, generally when my scoby is doing it's job I can make a new batch every week.

Oh, and everything has to be sterile, but they recommend doing so with vinegar rather than bleach or anything like that. My first experience didn't turn out well because I don't think my jar was clean enough. 

@mompoet My dairy reintro went well.  No ill effects, except I felt a little less patient with my daughter.  But that could have been the day I had, as well.  When I reintro dairy again, I'll pay attention to my mood.  I am keeping a reintro diary. Thursday is legume day. I do have peanut butter! I'll do peanut butter with apple like the book suggest for breakfast and the egg roll bowl suggested by Melly88 with edamame. I really want black beans, but I can't find a good recipe that I want so I'm planning to go to Qboda and get a burrito bowl with black beans, no rice. Alcohol on Saturday but I haven't planned much further than that. Reintroduction requires a bit of planning!

@spunky1 Good news about the dairy. And great idea to retry it and be super observant about mood. I will try that approach too, if I notice something but I'm not sure!

Welcome home @frogtox. I am glad to hear you did well with your vacation food choices. There's some awesome advice about planning for vacations in Food Freedom Forever - basically to do a mini-reset before you go on vacation, do your best to make good choices while you are away based on "is it worth it," then return immediately to reset mode when you return home. By this description, you are doing just as Melissa Hartwig suggests!

Thanks also for the kombucha instructions. I have a friend at the yoga studio who makes it. I will ask her for a scoby (or where to source one locally). 

I flew to New York today, for a week's vacation. I'm going to do my best too! So far I ate some cheese by accident in a chopped salad that I got at the airport during our lunch-hour layover. That would not have been my first choice for reintroduction, but done's done, so we'll see if it has any negative effects. I'm determined to wait it out through tomorrow at least before I include reintroducing anything else. And an accident can be my excuse exactly one time!

I finished reading FFF on the plane. It's full of very practical and encouraging advice. Good timing for me out here where controlling what's available is more difficult - but still not impossible. Now let's all make it through Easter making choices that work for us!

@frogtox @spunky1 @mompoet, it looks like we are all doing pretty well with reintro, and figuring out how foods affect us.  I'm going on a long weekend vacation on the 27th, and since I'm not reintro-ing dairy and gluten for a long time I will be finishing reintro the weekend before my little vaca.  So after that last reintro I will be doing a mini reset before doing the whole conscious "is it worth it" during my trip.

On another note, the weather is beautiful here!  I've been enjoying some nice walks lately :)

Y'all I am feeling terrible! My guts are on fire! I felt awful for two days after the piece of chocolate fiasco on Monday and was finally starting to feel better. Then I had a burrito bowl for dinner last night (family was eating nachos) and the only non=compliant things I had were a bit of rice and beans. I feel so mad at myself because I was compliant all day, but really thought I would be okay.  It's weird because I have never thought so much about reintroduction, but have never had such a hard time. I read FFF but am going to dig it back out tonight and start over.

4 minutes ago, Eye of the Tiger said:

@frogtox @spunky1 @mompoet, it looks like we are all doing pretty well with reintro, and figuring out how foods affect us.  I'm going on a long weekend vacation on the 27th, and since I'm not reintro-ing dairy and gluten for a long time I will be finishing reintro the weekend before my little vaca.  So after that last reintro I will be doing a mini reset before doing the whole conscious "is it worth it" during my trip.

On another note, the weather is beautiful here!  I've been enjoying some nice walks lately :)

I'm glad you're doing so well. I saw your post about having a lower heartrate and was happy for you... oddly a similar thing happened to me (but I've been running more, so attributed it to that).

Good luck on your trip. Being intentional about things really helps... writing things down saved me.  The weather is typical Michigan cold grey here... glad you're getting out and walking!

I have a BIG birthday coming up next weekend. We're having a giant party with four out of town family members staying Thurs-Sun so that's really going to be a temptation. But, at least I'll be home. I intend to pre-cook a lot this weekend so I can have things ready and don't have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen or rely on going out when company is here.

Ugh.  I tried to have a cider last night with dinner (everything else was compliant all day, dinner was compliant).  I was up tossing and turning all night.  I woke up feeling like crap, but did manage to drag myself to my 6am workout.  The same thing happened with my half glass of wine last week.  I'll likely avoid any alcohol during the week from now on and really think about it on the weekends.  I know there is no nutritional value to alcohol, but I still enjoy some front porch sitting with a glass of wine and a good book.  At least I know the impact now, and can actively make the choice to endure the misery if I want!

@Sara13 at least you are consciously thinking about and making a choice instead of just blindly doing it.  And I agree about the glass of wine and a good book on the porch!  Do you drink red or white?  Melissa Hartwig says that white is better, I'm guessing lower sugar?

@frogtox thanks!  I'm not feeling tiger blood, at least not consistently.  But I haven't had any insomnia since about a week after starting w30.  And before w30 I had chronic insomnia.  I'm still very tired in the morning, and I'm cutting back on coffee slowly.  I hope to be completely off of it next week.  Then I will just drink caffeine free teas.  I'm down to a cup of coffee in the morning.  I hope you feel better soon!  And it looks like you're doing some great planning for your BIG birthday weekend!  I'' be 29 for the 21st time in November :lol:.

I wish I had constant tiger blood.  But I have Hashimoto's and other health issues that I'm hoping to mostly resolve with this w30 lifestyle and exercise.  I get the results of the comprehensive blood tests I had done last week when I go to my doctor next Thursday.  I can't wait to see the results!

15 minutes ago, Eye of the Tiger said:

@Sara13 at least you are consciously thinking about and making a choice instead of just blindly doing it.  And I agree about the glass of wine and a good book on the porch!  Do you drink red or white?  Melissa Hartwig says that white is better, I'm guessing lower sugar?

@frogtox thanks!  I'm not feeling tiger blood, at least not consistently.  But I haven't had any insomnia since about a week after starting w30.  And before w30 I had chronic insomnia.  I'm still very tired in the morning, and I'm cutting back on coffee slowly.  I hope to be completely off of it next week.  Then I will just drink caffeine free teas.  I'm down to a cup of coffee in the morning.  I hope you feel better soon!  And it looks like you're doing some great planning for your BIG birthday weekend!  I'' be 29 for the 21st time in November :lol:.

I wish I had constant tiger blood.  But I have Hashimoto's and other health issues that I'm hoping to mostly resolve with this w30 lifestyle and exercise.  I get the results of the comprehensive blood tests I had done last week when I go to my doctor next Thursday.  I can't wait to see the results!

I *think* white wine might be better because of the sulfites, though I'm not sure.

I'm also celebrating the 21st anniversary of my 29th birthday! :lol:

My mom has fibromyalsia and after nearly two years of talking to her about Whole30 I finally got her to start a couple weeks before I did. She is amazed at how much less she aches. So, this lifestyle is really beneficial for autoimmune disorders... I hope you find relief with yours!

Oh my goodness - so much going on this morning! Where to start....

@Sara13 - such a bummer about your alcohol reintro.  Like you said, even knowing that there's no nutritional value in the drink, sometimes you just want the experience that goes along with it.  I absolutely feel you about the porch/book/wine, and I hate to beat a fermented horse, but maybe keeping the wineglass but swapping out for seltzer or kombucha (or some other mocktail creation you come up with) would allow you to enjoy the experience fully without paying dearly later...

I've read through the first section plus Chapter 6 in FFF.  Man, whoever said we shouldn't wait until the end of the W30 to read it was SO RIGHT. I wish I had moved a bit faster and started it around Day 20.  I really dig her approach - nothing is completely off-limits because you're making fully-informed, conscious decisions about what to eat. @frogtox - on Day 1, if someone had told me that chocolate would end up being one of my irritating foods, I'd have cried for days.  But now that I've lived (successfully and perfectly happily) for nearly 6 weeks without it, I know that if that turns out to be the case, I'll live.  I will happily suffer through my one Cadbury egg a year and leave it at that.  

The scientific approach is what makes this program so successful, but it's also part of what makes me nervous - I'm afraid that I'm missing things, not noticing symptoms or reactions... But maybe it's just that the foods I've reintro'ed so far haven't been problematic?  I haven't done the journal since the end of the W30 (no idea why I stopped), but since I'm not completely finished with reintroduction (doing GF grains today and gluten and dairy are probably the next two Saturdays so we're both safely at home should there be any ill effects), I think I'll bring it back for the next few weeks to force myself to really pay attention to my body.

Taking the kids in to the city to geocache and have lunch with husband, so it should be a fun day... resisting all the goodies at Reading Terminal Market will be tough, though. :) 

Here's what Melissa says:

http://whole30.com/2016/06/wine-after-work/

June 13, 2016

I know you’re looking for me to give you a straight substitute, as evidenced by your hashtags. A while ago, I might have counseled you to find a close substitute, like pouring some fizzy water or a mocktail in your wine glass every night after work. I would have given you options to preserve this same ritual without the less healthy consequences—at least, for the 30 days you are on the Whole30 program.

I would not answer the same way today.

Today, after years of habit research, I realize that the Whole30’s beauty isn’t just the awareness it brings you about the foods you’ve been eating, it’s about how the structure of the program forces you to address your bad habits around food. Forces you. Because if I didn’t make you look at them and change them, you probably wouldn’t.

You’d keep eating pancakes, you’d just make them with almond flour. You’d keep eating dessert every night, you’d just do it with date-paste-sweetened frozen bananas blended into an “ice cream.” And you’d keep coming home and automatically reaching for a wine glass full of something, even if that something is kombucha or fizzy water or something else that isn’t anywhere near wine… but is still the same HABIT.

Kombucha or Berry LaCroix aren’t SWYPO. Neither of those beverages are even close to the taste or feeling of wine. But the habit is the same, and there may always be a little bit of “It feels like wine (psychologically), but it’s definitely not wine… I still really miss wine.” Come home. Hard day. Pull out a wine glass. Fill wine glass. Sip on whatever is in the wine glass. Take five minutes for yourself. Feel relief. You aren’t getting the alcohol, but your body and brain are still living out the same pattern. So bet your booty that when your 30 days are over, you’re going to realize you can actually HAVE wine again, and you’re still conditioned to coming home and pulling out that glass… so guess what’s going back in the glass (even if you don’t really want it, out of pure habit and conditioning)?

Note: I’m specifically addressing a situation where the consumption of alcohol is ritual and habitual, like a post-work glass. If you’re just heading out to a birthday party, a happy hour event with the boss, or a wedding, I see no issue with ordering a sparkling water and lime and sipping away on something more exciting than plain old water during that event. The difference is the context; one is a reoccurring habit ingrained in your brain as a pattern of behavior, and the other is a once-in-a-while event that has no regular ritual. You feel me?

Find a New Routine That Delivers the Same Reward

@frogtox Sorry about the chocolate! Maybe dark chocolate won't have the same effect? But I'd be wary.

@Sara13 My alcohol reintro is Saturday. I'm a little scared. So is my husband. Thankfully, I don't have the wine after work ritual. It sounds good, but I've never been able to squeeze it in.

@Eye of the Tiger Great job with the quick reintro! 

Started legumes today. I felt a little funky after having no sugar added peanut butter this morning. Not sick, no stomach aches.  Just funky.  It passed. Black beans for lunch today and but I don't have time to make the egg roll bowl tonight so leftover shepherd's pie with edamame is the plan. I really have no time to meal plan or go grocery shopping so next week will be . . . interesting.

I really, really wanted sugar yesterday. I had some GT's kombucha instead and felt better. But that was the first time I had a strong craving. I can't think of any sugar that snuck into my diet.  And it has been a week since I reintroduced dairy. So I don't know what that was about!

@Eye of the Tiger Before Whole 30 I always drank white or rose.  I got a bottle of rose, and it was too sweet!  So I think I'm going to have to try some different kinds and see what agrees with my palette now.  Also - if you quit coffee - you're my hero.  I love coffee...luckily I'm in a better job now so I only drink 1 or 2 cups a day, but that's not something I'm willing to quit!

@MeadowLilyI completely agree with the note from Melissa about breaking the habit.  I was having a glass of wine or a beer every day after work for no reason before Whole 30.  The first week or so, I put my sparkling water in a wine glass, but then I realized that I didn't need to do that.  I was in a good mood, and there wasn't any need for alcohol.  Last night was just the perfect front porch sitting sort of night!  I'll follow her other advice to pick what you enjoy if you're going to imbibe for that situation - it's my equivalent of a night out for others.  But maybe not when I have to get up for work the next day!

I'm glad you guys all went on vacation first so I can use your great ideas.  I'll be out of town for Easter and in Chicago...the home of deep dish.  I fully plan on having a slice but also making the decision to skip the candy, etc.  I have a complicated relationship with food, so it's all about balance.  I am finding it very easy to walk by the candy dishes all over the office though.  Asking myself if a food is worth giving up my energy and overall mood uptick has been really helpful for me.  I did have ice cream this weekend because I knew I didn't have to get up as early on Sunday - but stopped when I felt like I had satiated that craving.  

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

All I have to say is legumes BAD! Such a surprise after having very little reaction to dairy. I got very lethargic and I still have the worst stomach ache. Kept me up most of the night. I'm pretty sure it was not the peanut butter, but I'm not sure if the culprit is the edamame or black beans I had later in the day. Or both. I'm pretty reluctant to do a reintro of either again to find out. Ugh. 

Archived