Started March 6 - Reading Food Freedom Forever

mompoet

@spunky1 It's so funny how we each have different responses to foods.  Legumes didn't affect me much other than some mild constipation, so they will be an occasional thing.  And I'm doing the "slow roll" reintro.  I started a day or 2 before I think everyone else here.  And I've only reintro'd legumes and corn, on 2 separate days, 5 days apart (with completely compliant meals between).  I'm going to reintro oats separately than other non-gluten grains because I think I have an issue specifically with oats, and want to find out for sure.  And dairy and gluten won't be reintro'd for a long long time, if ever.  

I don't mind doing the slow reintro though because food tastes so great!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody know how many were in this group to begin with, and how many made it through w30, and how many are actually doing reintro?  I will try to count this weekend.  I love stats.  And I'm just curious to know what percent have made it this far.  I'm sure some were doing it for the second or 3rd times and may not have done reintro because they already know what foods cause them problems.

Eye of the Tiger,  we've taken names of everyone at the beginning of groups in years past. You finished strong and that's what really matters. Some will drop like flies and others will start over.

You have to want it to finish strong. It takes true grit to push past yourself and see it through. We have to prime our minds for lasting changes.

Even if you're the only one who knows that you did it...don't you feel that real sense of accomplishment.

6 hours ago, spunky1 said:

All I have to say is legumes BAD! Such a surprise after having very little reaction to dairy. I got very lethargic and I still have the worst stomach ache. Kept me up most of the night. I'm pretty sure it was not the peanut butter, but I'm not sure if the culprit is the edamame or black beans I had later in the day. Or both. I'm pretty reluctant to do a reintro of either again to find out. Ugh. 

So far I have reintro'd non-gluten grains, dairy, legumes and alcohol.  My worst reaction was from legumes!  I think it was the Soy, so I am adding a bean reintro day (on a weekend) at the end of this phase to rule them out.  I also had some minor reactions to the glass of wine I had last night... Got very flushed and warm/buzzed with just 2 sips. Suprised at the practically instant reaction. Luckily I am not a big wine drinker... But do enjoy a glass or two every now and then.

Has anyone noticed soreness from  dairy reintro?  I noticed my knees are sore but am not sure if it was from the dairy or my lazy vacation. ???

Oh @spunky1, I am sorry about the legumes. I hope you'll be able to keep peanut butter in your repertoire if you love it. I hope your alcohol reintro goes well on Saturday. I did have the wine after work (or more accurately after supper) habit, so I'm going to be careful. It was definitely a habit rather than "worth it." I had a beer at supper after a long day traveling on Wednesday. It sure tasted good - a splendid, hoppy, IPA. But after a few sips, I decided that I really didn't need to drink the whole thing, so I gave it to my son. I usually have only one glass of wine, or one beer, but now I'm going to try to stay mindful of just how much of that one drink is actually satisfying. I will stop when I feel like further sips won't add anything to the value of the experience! During my W30 I had a glass of club soda with a squeeze of lemon or lime after supper on quite a few nights. Reading the excerpt that you quoted from Melissa, @MeadowLily, I said, "That's me!" So I will heed your advice and Melissa's and work on that as a relationship issue, rather than an ingredients issue! I think a cup of herbal tea is also a good thing to sip in the evening, and is NOT a wine stand-in! This is my second Whole 30, my second re-introduction. I am learning a lot!

@DaskiMom, I am glad that FFF is resonating for you too! It has helped me a lot on this vacation so far. Today I ate lunch at a Thai restaurant with my son and daughter. We ordered 3 dishes to share. My daughter asked if it would be okay to include pad thai, which has rice noodles. I thought about it and said OK. I love pad thai, it will be worth it. Well, I tasted a bite of the pad thai and I thought "NOT worth it." So I didn't have any more. I totally enjoyed the other dishes that were made up of W30 compliant ingredients, and I left feeling like I had scored a small victory on my way to food freedom.

Here's to successful navigation through chocolate bunny day, coming up!

Happy Easter! The alcohol reintroduction went a lot better than anticipated. I drank a lot of water, before, during and after. I think that made all the difference.  But I won't drink again unless it's really worth it. Last night was my husband's bday and we had reservations at a really nice bar that makes great cocktails. 

I've been offline for a while - but loved coming back today and reading all of your stories.

@DaskiMom @mompoet - I get my scoby and instructions for Kombucha from here https://store.kombuchakamp.com

@frogtox great to read the way you make kombucha.  Mine is similar but my recipe for 1 gallon had 1C sugar - I was trying 3/4 as I thought you needed that much to ferment - will try my next batch with 1/4 C sugar.  I agree that it is fairly forgiving! I don't add fruit or any flavoring, but experiment with different teas - I like a black/green/ginger tea mix.  Also you and I are the same 'vintage' :) , as I too am celebrating my  21st anniversary of my 29th birthday this year.  Mine's in July, and I am heading to Vietnam with my twin sister (who lives in New Zealand) . I'm also planning on having a party here - I've had a crazy couple of years and with my last health scare I am doing the classic cancer survivor thing and making the most of life!

I've been continuing my 'eat in real moderation and very small amounts', but notice I am starting to derail a little.  Like yesterday I had quite a few tortilla chips before dinner, then had 2 nigiri, and a sugared italian cookie after dinner. I'm also making hot cross buns today, and will have one small one with butter, but will reset tomorrow.

@KiwiJGThe 1/4 c I use is for the secondary ferment.. primary fermentation requires a full cup. I think they make scobys for green tea specifically. :) Your 50th celebration sounds wonderful! People are beginning to arrive for my big bash on Thursday this week, so I'm looking forward to celebrating. Not looking forward to being out of my 40s, mind you... but it's better than the alternative I imagine. So happy for you and your cancer remission. I just got a call from my best friend (who was scheduled to come in this week) who told me she just got a diagnosis of breast cancer. She's 41. :/ Life can sure throw curveballs, can't it?

Re: my reintroduction, I'm chugging along. I am still going without gluten and dairy (which made Easter tough) but still don't feel quite right. I just can't seem to get things straightened out. I'm hoping that once next week comes round that I'll be able to focus a little more. But, I'm unsure it will.. I am so busy with kid things that I don't have the energy required to really focus on staying on course. I'm doing quite well from a diet standpoint, but following the meal template is the biggest struggle. I'm committed, though, and coming here and reading your posts helps.

I've been doing reintro like the book suggests for people like me, with specific health issues.  I have been reintro-ing each food completely separate, and otherwise eating w30.  And I've been separating the foods reintro'd by about a week.  Well I have had a really bad experience with reintro-ing rice.  And it's not the bad experience I was expecting.  I thought maybe I would have stomach issues, and maybe cravings.  What I got was a lot worse.  I reintro'd rice on Friday.  Friday, Saturday, and last night I had insomnia.  I've also had severe muscle pain in my back like before I started, and I didn't do anything that would make my back hurt.  My anxiety is back, and I've been moody.  I got maybe 2 hours sleep last night due to the pain and anxiety (I had high cortisol level before w30).  I've been eating w3- compliant other than the reintro'd rice on Friday.  I hope the effects of the rice wear off really soon. :(

Happy almost birthday @frogtox! Have heart, you will find your way to feeling really great. We are all experimenting in big and meaningful ways right now, while balancing our everyday life. It gives me a new perspective on the "Yahoo! I made it!" euphoria of Day 30. Now I know for sure it's just the beginning. I hope we continue to connect here in the forum and continue to encourage one another.

Oh @Eye of the Tiger! I am sorry about rice! Go figure, though - it's often thought to be one of the most benign foods. I guess not for you. I admire you dedication to a really slow, thoughtful reintroduction. I think your patience and careful work through reintroduction will really help you in your pursuit of food freedom.

@KiwiJG what a lovely celebration to anticipate. I am glad to know you are approaching your 50th in good health, with anticipation of much zestful living!

My week in NYC during reintroduction is going bump-bump-bump-smile-crash-laugh-bump. It reminds me of the Indiana Jones Ride at Disneyland (do they still have that ride?) I am making decisions on the fly, and having to shift gears and fly over bumps without much preparation. The slow roll I was hoping for is not happening, but I am managing to try just one new food category in a day, without mixing it up. We do have a kitchen in our AirBnB so I can make breakfasts to the template, but we are out and about so much, lunch and supper are at restaurants. On the plus side, I'm managing to resist the ooey gooey sweet stuff, even on Easter Sunday when we visited with family in NJ for the day. One more sign I'm doing pretty well: I am not hungry between meals. That has to be the most dramatic change I have noticed with Whole 30. The protein/fat/veg combo in the meal template makes for a steady, satisfying state of energy and hunger management. 

In Food Freedom Forever, Melissa has a vacation strategy. I'm following it pretty well except that I have shortcutted my reintroduction phase. The strategy finishes with a mini-reset immediately upon returning home. I am actually looking forward to going back full-Whole30 for 7-10 days when I return to normal life. In the meantime: bump-bump-bum-crash-smile-crash-laugh-wheee!

Oh, Iove this group.  Just when I think I'm crazy or have completely blown it, I come here and realize that no, I'm just human and doing my best like everyone else.

Some interesting discoveries for me on GF grains reintro day... I made GF pizza crust with Bob's Red Mill 1:1 flour and while I thought it tasted fine (my husband could only force down one piece - said it was disgusting) it seriously jacked up my guts.  Since we aren't doing dairy yet, I used vegan mozzarella on top, so I'm not 100% sure that the crust was to blame... We're having breakfast for dinner one night this week and I'm going to use the Bob's 1:1 mix to make waffles so I'll have one of those to see if I get the same rumblings as the pizza.  

Because our reintro day snuck up on me (again!) I didn't have the steel cut oats ready for breakfast on Thursday so we had them on Friday instead.  And I felt HORRIBLE all day.  My guts were fine, but I was so sad and just out of sorts it was terrible!  My in-laws came to take the kids for the weekend early Friday, so I was in an empty house with nothing but time and all I wanted to do was look out the window.  VERY strange.  Seems like an extreme reaction for oatmeal, but after reading @Eye of the Tiger's reaction to rice, I'm wondering if that might have been the cause?  I've suffered from periods of depression for 20 years, but it's usually tied to a precipitating event.  This was totally out of the blue but felt the same as previous episodes.  I'm kind of afraid to test the theory, to be honest, but I love oatmeal so I don't know what I'll do...

The rest of our weekend was 85% awesome food-wise, and the other 15% was completely off the rails.  Without kids we went out to dinner both nights (eating as close to compliant as possible, not counting the wine) and slept in, so our schedules were off and MAN do I feel it today.  I actually bought a little journal that fits inside my planner so starting today I'm logging everything - every twinge, bite, headache, etc... I think I need that to keep myself accountable, really concentrate on connections, and prevent further slide.  I mean, there's a vat of Easter candy on top of my fridge, so I need all of the help I can get!

Non-gluten grains reintro day has proved challenging so far. I had quinoa with my eggs, but I forgot how much a pain quinoa is to cook! I think the directions have me add too much water.  I always end up with water at the bottom of the pan that I need to boil off.  Then, when I grabbed my corn tortillas for lunch and tried to run out the door to work, I realized the corn tortillas I bought have wheat in them!  Why?!? I need to read ALL labels more carefully. I had to swing by the grocery store to find some corn tortillas that didn't have wheat.  So far so good with the reintro.  Anyone reintroducing today? Is everyone all done? I feel like this slow roll reintroduction is really slow! Sugar this Sunday and then gluten sometime next week.  Then I should be done. Unless I am missing something.

On 4/14/2017 at 10:59 AM, MeadowLily said:

Eye of the Tiger,  we've taken names of everyone at the beginning of groups in years past. You finished strong and that's what really matters. Some will drop like flies and others will start over.

You have to want it to finish strong. It takes true grit to push past yourself and see it through. We have to prime our minds for lasting changes.

Even if you're the only one who knows that you did it...don't you feel that real sense of accomplishment.

I do think it takes a lot of planning, and adjusting habits.  But for me I don't feel like I had much of a choice.  Lots of health problems....  I don't have tiger blood yet.  I think I will feel more of a sense of accomplishment when I get better news about my health, and have more energy.  I keep plugging along with w30 and exercise, and going to my functional medical practitioner today.  We'll see what my Boston Heart labs report today.

I'm just a numbers person, and love stats.  So I was just curious about how many made it through w30 and reintro. I would probably have a hard time completing w30 if I didn't have health problems and bad genetics pushing me.

I love this group too!

Understood. 

Just for the record, I don't know how others determine if they're 80/20, 90/10, 70/30 percent paleo going forward. Paleo is confusing and Whole 30 is clear. 

I don't know how many make it through a compliant Whole 30. I can only surmise that the reintro numbers are lower but I think it's the most important part of a Whole 30. 

3 hours ago, MeadowLily said:

Understood. 

Just for the record, I don't know how others determine if they're 80/20, 90/10, 70/30 percent paleo going forward. Paleo is confusing and Whole 30 is clear. 

I don't know how many make it through a compliant Whole 30. I can only surmise that the reintro numbers are lower but I think it's the most important part of a Whole 30. 

I totally agree!  Reintro has been such a (shocking) earning experience for me!  I'm taking reintro real slow, in part because I'm trying to figure out how my paleo lifestyle is going to be.  Probably around 90/10, because I like the clear cut rules of w30.  And I also like feeling better.

Btw, I will be doing another w30 after the first week of June because my husband wants to do it next time. :D

@Eye of the Tiger Congrats on getting your husband on board! My husband thinks this is a bunch of BS. But he eats the food without complaint. :) Then again I should be thankful because making lunch for both him and me would probably break me. Right now, he only eats the dinners.

After finally finishing FFF, I'm planning on doing the annual January 1 reset like the book recommends.  And sticking to the recommendations in FFF about no cheat days, etc.  Just letting the decisions to go off plan come up and deciding then. I really do go crazy when I plan food/drinking events, so that part of FFF really spoke to me.

A few weeks in to reintro and I'm still learning so much! For example - when I'm eating clean, wine has such a sleep-inducing effect that completely outweighs the (delicious) taste that it's just not worth it.  Also, as much as I love roasted beets, they DO NOT love me.  At all.  I pay for those suckers for days! I've gotten back to the journal and find that I actually enjoy it - not only does it keep me accountable, but it makes it easy to suss out patterns and connections, which it kind of the point of this whole exercise! 

I still struggle with my Sugar Dragon at times, but when I really feel him, I don't cave.  I know that sugar is my "gateway drug" and I'm trying to be very mindful of keeping it out of my life.  I have been using Califia Farms almond coconut vanilla creamer in my coffee which does contain sugar, but haven't noticed that it triggers additional cravings or negative effects. Everything else is still sugar-free.  Well, except for the occasional piece of bacon, but honestly my kids usually inhale all of it before I can get any, so that's pretty rare. :)

Husband and I are finally officially introducing gluten tomorrow and dairy next Friday.  I'm not too worried about gluten as homemade bread and tons of baked goods were a BIG part of our diet pre-W30.  But even it all goes well, I plan to keep it to a minimum in our diet - I'll just learn to adapt the recipes that I can and those that I can't I'll make for a special treat. I expect dairy to be horrible. I know, why intoduce it then? Because I need to know.  I need to know if cheese is off the menu forever. 

How's everyone else doing? I think this is @frogtox's Birthday Extravaganza Weekend - hopefully all is going well and you're making choices you're happy with.  Happy 29th! :) 

I am officially done and am ready to begin my new way of eating!  :D

I just finished my first Whole 30 + Reintro.  Took me 47 days.  I lost about 6 pounds (honestly thought it would have been a little more) and lost over 9 inches (waist, hips, bust, upper arms, thighs and calves). 

I am a sedentary person and wanted to tackle the eating part before I jumped into the exercise part… My next challenge :unsure:!  And with the Whole30 under my belt – introducing exercise and activity - should be a breeze!  I just wish there was a Whole30 for physical activity… Hmmm, any suggestions?

I learned a lot on this journey.  I now know:

1.)    Soy does not agree with my guts, like at all!

2.)    Processed Sugar does not agree with my joints

3.)    Gluten is evil (no personal reaction, just evil)

4.)    Dairy should not be consumed by adults (again, no reaction, just choice)

I have also severed the ties between my salivary glands and sugar!  I was able to get thru Easter without desserts, birthday parties without cake and ice cream, movie theaters without snacks, etc.  I have even slayed my Diet Coke addiction (#TheStruggleIsREAL).  I know that I will never be able to avoid sugar all together (that $&*! Is in everything) – I will opt for natural sugars (Agave, Honey, Pure Maple Syrup, Organic Coconut Sugar, Evaporated Cane Juice – and maybe some Stevia) all in moderation, of course!

I was always a “Splash of Coffee with my Fat Free Sugar Free Chemical Coffee Creamer” kinda girl.  My daily splurge is now a cup of Joe with Califia’s almond coconut vanilla creamer (2-3 tablespoons in a 10 ounce cup of coffee).  Hey @DaskiMom: it comes in Hazelnut too! While it still has a little sugar, it is missing all those horrible chemicals and artificial this and that.  I feel it is a much better choice – and that is a WIN! 

I know I couldn’t have accomplished this without the support of the Whole30 books and FREE website materials (blows my mind), this AWESOME forum, and the Real Plans Support (SO worth it!).  I found daily inspiration from you all, especially: @frogtox, @spunky1, @DaskiMom@Eye of the Tiger and @mompoet.  You are some of the most incredible women, and I am incredibly blessed to have been on this journey with you! :wub:

Thanks to this experience, I am now a label reading, waitress questioning, meal planning, nutrition informed BADA$$! (That's the Tiger Blood talking!)   :D

Congrats @Melly88! I'm on my sugar reintroduction day and it is not going well. I'm not sure what the problem is.  I have plans for sugar all day.  I found a chocolate bar that is just cacao and sugar (no soy, dairy, etc. - some of them even have wheat!). I'm eating the sunflower butter with sugar that my husband bought when I expressly told him NO SUGAR! I have churro marshmallows that are also otherwise compliant (they are yummy!).  But my body is not reacting well.

Regarding exercise, do you have any gym memberships? If so, you may want to start going. Try it for a week. If not, I've heard good things about Daily Burn and Beachbody on Demand. They have beginner programs if that is where you are at. I have a gym membership to all the 24 Hour Fitness locations, day passes at a climbing gym, plus I pay for some Fit4Mom classes from time to time. I want to try Orangetheory Fitness, but I really can't justify another membership! I need to use the ones I have. I do work out 3 times a week at my gyms. But I want to do more, just not sure how to fit it in.  Getting up early to workout at home doesn't appeal to me, plus my kid sometimes gets up super early and she will interrupt. Driving to the gym in the morning is a frustrating time suck. Now that the weather is nicer, I may try to hike around my house in the mornings so if my kid gets up, my husband has to deal with it. And I'm not driving 20 minutes back and forth to the gym. I think, sort of like Whole30, you need to figure out what works with your schedule, force yourself to do it for a week, and then reassess. Once it becomes a habit, its so much easier.  Like my workouts 3 times a week, they happen like clockwork now.

The one piece of Whole30 advice I've seen is pick two of the following three: go hard, go long, go often.  Hope that's helpful!

@Melly88 And of course after I did a bunch of searches for Daily Burn and Beachbody on Demand, this popped up on my Facebook feed. http://www.24daysmartstart.com/pages/weightloss.html

It's free (you don't have to be a member to download the schedule, programs or watch the videos) and there are programs for different levels. There's a small nutritional component but you can ignore that. If you don't have a gym membership or can't make it to the gym, you can skip the exercises that require gym equipment or improvise. 

@Melly88 - you're a doll! Congratulations on your successful experience!  It does feel amazing to roll through the grocery store or read a restaurant menu armed with all of this invaluable information, doesn't it? 

I second @spunky1's suggestions for working out.  Don't overthink it, set smart goals for yourself and start with something you can sustain.

Personal story that will likely be way longer than necessary: About a year ago, my only exercise was chasing my kids out the door to the bus each morning. I did run once or twice a week, but I was slow and never really pushed myself so I don't know that I could really count that at "working out" since it wasn't really work.  Anyway, last May at our Girls Weekend with my mom, sister, aunts and cousins (there's a whole gaggle of us) my one cousin introduced me to Beachbody's 22 Minute Hard Corps.  My sister has been a die-hard Beachbody fan for years and has done all of the Shaun T programs and would let me borrow them, but every time I tried one I'd pee myself before I finished the warm up and get discouraged.  Anyway, seeing my cousin (who is built just like me) do the workout made me think that I could *probably* get through them with the modifications.  I came home, signed up for the free 30-day trial, and got to work.  After my month, I was doing 25 "boy" push-ups in a row with no trouble.  It was truly transformational and I've been hooked ever since - there is no greater self-confidence boost (at least for me) than being STRONG!  The fact that it was just 22 minutes each day was a huge motivator for me.  Some of the exercises were tougher than others, but there was always a way to modify so I never felt discouraged.  

All of which is to say that you just have to pick something, make a promise to yourself, and do it.  If you can give up delicious sweet creamer with a spash of coffee (I feel you on that, btw!), you can jump around like a total loon for 20 minutes each day. You'll feel SO good when you're finished that you *might* actually start to look forward to it! I hope you'll stick around and share what you decide to tackle so we can keep cheering you and celebrating your successes!

One last note - gluten reintro day yesterday was perfectly normal. No GI issues, no mood or sleep issues.  Today and tomorrow I'll be super vigilant to see if there are any delayed effects, but I'm not really expecting any.  Still plan to keep it to a minimum, though.

Hi All, I got home from vacation in the early hours last Thursday, then hit the ground running. I am looking forward SO MUCH to this weekend when I won't have to jump out of bed at 6am and run out the door. It's all good, just a lot of it all at once!

I think I did very well with my Food Freedom during a week in New York. I was there with my adult son, to visit my daughter over Easter. We got an AirBnB apartment, where I cooked breakfasts, so stayed totally W30 for that meal each day. There are so many restaurants to choose from, I was able to mostly stick to the meal template at lunches and dinners. A highlight was preparing fresh lettuce wraps for supper with my daughter at her place. I did enjoy a few glasses of wine and beer through the week (but not as many as I would have pre-W30), and my big splurge was sangria at my cousin's place, on Easter Sunday. It's our tradition, delicious, and definitely worth it! That was probably the most sugar that I chose during my whole trip, except for one scoop of ice cream at Princeton NJ's iconic Halo Pub ice cream shop (also worth it). The 3 different desserts at the end of the Easter meal did not tempt me in the least! We walked for miles, and even went for a nice long run along the Hudson River. It was easier than I thought it would be to take my new habits on vacation.

I am now on my 7 day reset. I had planned to begin immediately upon my return as per Melissa's advice, but I wasn't successful at that. I began on Tuesday, so I'll be back to full Whole30 rules for 7 days (at least). I actually looked forward to it! The good news is that I have not felt awful or grumpy so far. I am hoping this means that my new habits have been healthy enough that switching to a mini-reset has not been such a big change as when I started my Whole30. 

Congrats @Melly88! I second @spunky1 and @DaskiMom's encouragement to you about exercise. I think it's important to stick with a new exercise plan for at least 30 days (like we did with our healthy eating plan), and give it time to find out how good it feels (eventually!) I hope you find something that you enjoy, and that gives you the benefits that you are looking for. Keep us posted!

Archived