Jo's Day 30 and Beyond

Today is Day 30.  Day 30 of my WHOLE 30.   There are a lot of things I did not do during the past 30 days that I truly did not believe would be possible.  I did not slip.  I did not have a cheat day or meal or snack because I "deserve it."  I did not drink with my friends on St. Patrick's Day.  I did not sneak some peanut butter.  I sat in front of bread at a restaurant and did not grab a piece.  I laid out a cheese platter and did not eat a morsel.  I did not put any dairy creamer in my coffee.  I did not eat popcorn.  But you know what I did?  I ate vegetables.  TONS of them.  I roasted them, baked them, ate them raw, dipped them in my roasted red pepper sauce, sauteed them in my eggs, and had them on top of my steak.  Zucchinis, asparagus, brussel sprouts (TONS of brussel sprouts), spaghetti squash, peppers, spinach, and tomatoes.  I ate healthy fats like avocados, olives, and almond butter.  I meal prepped.  I planned my meals in advance and got so good at doing it that now I just eat in a Whole 30 Compliant manner without even thinking about it.  I have cooked chicken, steak, swordfish, pork chops, and at least a dozen sweet potatoes.  I have tried so many new recipes that cooking a delicious healthy meal has made me completely happy and satisfied on a Friday after a long work week.   I love all my dids and did nots.

I love the Whole 30.  The Whole 30 has changed my life and I am so grateful.  I know it is Day 30 and I still have to roll out my reintroduction phase but I DID IT.  I have tried to control my food intake forever, and this time I know it is going to stick.  I feel free.  Since I am doing the slow roll introduction I went to the food store today with the intentions to buy some deli meat that I haven't had over the past 30 days because of the dextrose or added sugar, and you know what?  I didn't want to.  I am excited/nervous to reintroduce legumes, dairy, etc., but I did not want to buy anything that has added sugar.  I know about my sugar dragon and I do not want to wake the dragon.  So until the day comes that I want to try out that added sugar, I am out.  I am done.  Sugar, you do not control me. 

I have the morning off so I decided to try on some of my "skinny jeans" (you know those pairs we all have) to see how they are coming along.  One pair (sophomore year of college so hello 13 years ago) are still quite a ways away.  But my pair that I know I can fit in again-- well they buttoned.  Just because they zip doesn't mean they fit... but they are so much closer!!!  And that is a reward in and of itself.  I have lost 9.5 pounds and gained a lifetime of food knowledge, freedom, and independence.

I know this isn't the end.  I know that I need to reintroduce and make real life decisions but I finally feel like I have found what works.  I am currently digesting "Food Freedom Forever" and am thankful that it is my future.  Thank you Whole 30, Melissa & Dallas, my forum friends, and moderators.  The journey continues.

Day 31.  

So last night I kind of passed out in the middle of a rehearsal.  I mostly just fell and then needed air and tons of water and then was fine.  I am certainly not 100% today and feel a little weak.  It's kind of random because I felt incredible yesterday morning and by mid afternoon something was just off.  People wanted me to drink a Gatorade and I refused.  I had a lot of H20 instead.  Feeling better today and ready to tackle the craziness.  I won't have any down time until Saturday so I am going to be extra conscious of how I am feeling.

Today's reintroduction plan is to continue as normal, but not obsess over added sugar in my normal ingredients.  I might get a French Vanilla coffee from Dunkin today and have some slices of roasted turkey that I wasn't able to have.  Other than that, continuing on in a mostly whole 30 compliant matter.

Day 31 (Take 2).

BREAKFAST: 2 eggs, some zucchini, I think a couple of slices of prosciutto (it was like 16 hours ago)

Unfortunately, I kind of had to snack today instead of eating an organized lunch because of ELA testing and musical tech-week rehearsal.

LUNCH(ish): 4 pickles, banana with almond butter, kettle potato chips, La Croix, and a selection of deli meat (roast beef, turkey, ham)

DINNER: Just now--- salad with grilled chicken, spinach, mushrooms, hard-boiled eggs, olives.

I feel good today, especially after not feeling great last night.  I drank more water which I am sure I needed.  Looking forward to day 32.  Not planning to change much tomorrow.   

Also, I am out of almond butter and have decided I need to stay away for a while.  After reviewing my food logs I noticed that I was unconsciously using it as a reward instead of as a fat in a meal.  Therefore I have decided that I need to keep my distance for a little while, until I can be trusted again, LOL! I am super serious about finding my Food Freedom and even though I genuinely enjoyed my Whole 30, I don't want to have to turn around and do it again because I messed up reintros.  A Whole5, 7, or 9 is something I could handle, but I would like to be Whole 30 ish (80/20) when I find my food freedom.

Day 32: I can barely think. I am so, so tired. Just got home from this show I'm music director of and after a long day at work on top of that I just need sleep. Today was mostly Whole 30 compliant minus an added sugar in deli meat. My meal times were just a little bit wonky with the schedule for today at school and running to musical. Tomorrow should be closer to normal. 

Day 33 (was yesterday): It was a Whole 30 compliant day as I just didn't have the need for it not to be.   I wish I could further remember what I ate but I am pretty sure I had eggs for breakfast, some shrimp for lunch with zucchini, and my boyfriend made me a delicious veggie omelette for dinner.  I had to have dinner early (around 4:30) so I was decently hungry when I got home but just had a pickle and I was fine.  I am excited for a regular schedule again so that I can go back to my solid three meals a day.  In addition, I am so excited to get back into working out after the show closes and really dive into this reintroduction phase.  

Fast forward and it is day 36.  I have been mostly Whole 30 compliant with the exception added sugars as I have eased up on that rule.  Though to be honest, it's probably only been in two or three things I have eaten since the end of Whole 30.  Full disclosure, I have not been eating up to the standards of the Whole 30 meal template and so I am not too proud of that.  Not to make excuses, but I was directing a musical this week so I was basically never home for a regular meal.  But I am looking forward to getting back into my veggies, protein, and healthy fats stacked nicely on the plate.

So far I have reintroduced legumes (refried beans) and alcohol (Magner's) and fill no ill effects.  Tomorrow is non-gluten grains and I am so excited for an afternoon snack of popcorn.  It is my favorite snack so I am wondering if it'll still be as glorious as I remember.

Good news is the scale is finally moving again!  It was stuck at standstill for several days so I'm happy with it's movement.  Though Whole30 doesn't really love the use of the scale, I know myself and when I stop using it is when I start to lose control.  So for now, the scale stays.  Also, loving RXBars as a snack.  So good and filling.  And Whole 30 ingredient compliant.  

Day 37: Just had popcorn with melted ghee and I literally could not be happier about it which makes me feel that popcorn is one of those "worth it" foods but I will have to figure out how often it is "worth it."  I feel fine now (thirty-eight seconds later basically) but I will be super conscious about how I feel over the next few hours.  And tomorrow.

Day 39: Dear Dairy,

I thought we were friends....

All these years I've sprinkled your curds of cheese on my salads, pizza, eggs, steak, chicken, tortilla chips, and broccoli.  I yearned for your deliciousness to accompany my morning coffee.   I counted down the days until I could add you back into my diet.  And this is how you repay me?  Disappointment to say the least.

I was so excited to have cream in my coffee this morning and as soon as I finished my first cup I felt my stomach growling and I quickly headed towards the bathroom.  Back to almond milk for my next cup. I then added some shredded cheese to my breakfast eggs.  It was "eh" at best.  I was expecting fireworks and got a wet match instead.  At lunch I two laughing cow wedges with some baby carrots.  These were delightful and I felt fine afterwards.  My boyfriend had some potatoes au gratin the other day so I had some leftovers... again, this deliciousness was looming over me and I just was not impressed.  Finally, I decided to get into some gelato.  It was good in the moment.  Now my belly is cramping and my throat is all flemmy!  I have not missed this feeling.  So excited that I have to go off of dairy again (like seriously who am I?!) because this is less than an extraordinary feeling.  

Future dairy plans?  Decide if it's worth it.  Stay away from anything heavy (like cream in coffee). And stay close to the bathroom...

10 hours ago, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

Day 39: Dear Dairy,

I thought we were friends....

All these years I've sprinkled your curds of cheese on my salads, pizza, eggs, steak, chicken, tortilla chips, and broccoli.  I yearned for your deliciousness to accompany my morning coffee.   I counted down the days until I could add you back into my diet.  And this is how you repay me?  Disappointment to say the least.

I was so excited to have cream in my coffee this morning and as soon as I finished my first cup I felt my stomach growling and I quickly headed towards the bathroom.  Back to almond milk for my next cup. I then added some shredded cheese to my breakfast eggs.  It was "eh" at best.  I was expecting fireworks and got a wet match instead.  At lunch I two laughing cow wedges with some baby carrots.  These were delightful and I felt fine afterwards.  My boyfriend had some potatoes au gratin the other day so I had some leftovers... again, this deliciousness was looming over me and I just was not impressed.  Finally, I decided to get into some gelato.  It was good in the moment.  Now my belly is cramping and my throat is all flemmy!  I have not missed this feeling.  So excited that I have to go off of dairy again (like seriously who am I?!) because this is less than an extraordinary feeling.  

Future dairy plans?  Decide if it's worth it.  Stay away from anything heavy (like cream in coffee). And stay close to the bathroom...

Dude, for reals about the dairy! I reintroduced this past weekend and I was just so let down by how "meh" it tasted. And I immediately felt bloated and unpleasant for a few hours after. I never thought I'd cut out cheese, ever. And maybe I might still spring for the high-quality harder cheeses if the moment arises, but otherwise... dairy and I are breaking up. I feel your pain!

Day 42: Gluten is happening  I"m like kind of scared and wondering if that means I shouldn't go for the gluten but at the same time I know it is the best time to try since I would like to transition to my food freedom!  I foolishly tried to have dairy again and it was so awful that I am staying away for the time being unless I decide something is really "worth it" but the way I have felt, it's so not worth it.  @kellyfoss I too might go for harder cheese as well but right now I am just staying away.  

On 4/9/2017 at 7:56 AM, TeacherFitJourneyy said:

Day 42: Gluten is happening  I"m like kind of scared and wondering if that means I shouldn't go for the gluten but at the same time I know it is the best time to try since I would like to transition to my food freedom!  I foolishly tried to have dairy again and it was so awful that I am staying away for the time being unless I decide something is really "worth it" but the way I have felt, it's so not worth it.  @kellyfoss I too might go for harder cheese as well but right now I am just staying away.  

Same! Boyfriend convinced me to have a tiny bit of ice cream with him last night. Literally tiny, about two tablespoons. And I'm feeling horrible this morning. My stomach is NOT happy with me. I'm sure it's both the sugar and the dairy combined but mostly the dairy. Bummer.

Day 46: Well I started to slip directly into a bottomless bag of cool ranch Doritos last night while watching the Rangers game and drinking a Woodchuck cider. I Yikes. Doritos are definitely NOT a "worth it" food at all. I was planning on having one drink but totally feel the correlation between alcohol consumption and mindless snacking.  So I have opened up my copy of Food Freedom Forever and did some soul searching! No more disgusting snacks.  WTH was I thinking!? Luckily I don't feel the guilt or shame I would have in the past but instead that they're not good and I don't want those anymore.  So other people can snack on Doritos during today's mini BBQ at our house, but I will not be  

In other news, I am not totally sure how I reacted to gluten as my PMS was ironically in full swing at the same time as my gluten reintro. I have decided to ride out the week and do a quick Whole3 next week. I do think the gluten made me feel a little bloated regardless of the PMS pain. It was slightly different. Like my insides were being grabbed!? I don't know for certain but kind of want to stay away anyway. 

Visited my brother and sister-in-law and nieces for a few days and only really veered off for homemade pizza SIL made for dinner. I did not feel great after that but didn't say anything.  Again, prob was a bit the cheese and bread. Ok my stomach hurts thinking about it. 

I am back to weighing myself on the regular. I know a lot of Whole30-ers are opposed to this, but not weighing in in the past has led to weight gain. Regardless of the fact that I should be judging how I feel and how my clothes fit, I still have about 35 pounds I need to lose. I'm hopeful that during my food freedom tour I will be able to drop the weight, become a healthy and toned, and resist the scale. But for now I am comfortable with this choice.  

Thats all all for now!

Don't feel bad, I've been just as naughty!  Ate a whole chocolate bunny for absolutely no good reason!  But is there ever a good reason to eat an entire bunny??  Feel sick afterwards.  My goal is to restart on Monday and stop the bad snacking habits before they take control again!!!

In a way I am happy to be back at school because I can be back to organized eating which was needed.  I was so tempted today to eat some candy which I'm thinking means my sugar dragon was woken a little bit.  Stayed away from that forbidden aisle in CVS, bought an RX BAR instead, and ate some chicken and avocado for dinner.  Food Freedom is hard.  A little better every day...

Archived