April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

While  tooling along the road to becoming fat adapted, you can sleep like a log but feel dog tired during the day. It happened to me.  

I would sleep for 8-10 hours, not waking up but somewhere in the afternoon be dragging myself around.  One day, my knees buckled,  I was lightheaded and dizzy.  Within a day or so after that, Tiger Blood showed up.

When your food is nailed down tight, it could be fat adaptation trying to make its' way to center stage.  This is definitely one of the most positve side effects of Whole 30.  It may take anywhere from 3-8 weeks for that to happen.  It all depends on your status coming in.

I believe that Tiger Blood = Fat Adaptation Transition.  After that, it's smooth sailing. How long it lasts depends on the quality of foods.  The closer to the well, eating real proteins, not dried fruit and nutty bars - the longer it sticks around.

I didn't eat any manufactured products.  GB beef, wildgame, fish, fish, fish, fowl, vege, homemade/canned fats and I always, always ate the moderate fruit and nut portions with a protein, incorporated into a protein main dish. Not standing alone and I gave up all snackity snacks. I drank whopping boatloads of bone broth and we used it in our cooking.  

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fat Adaptation = From a sugar burner to a fat burner.

Your sugar consumption status coming in and going Cold Turkey, that distinction is clear. You will know when your body has made the transition. You're in for a real treat when it/ if it should happen for you. 

Then you already know the drill, Still Here.

For others...  Do not rely on fruit and nuts to prop you up during the day.  If you eat them inbetween meals you're not giving your blood sugar/pancreas a change to heal.

Always eat them with a protein.  Don't eat fruit and nuts by themselves.  Nuts are fats and fruits are nice but not standing alone.  Eat them incorporated into a real meal. 

If you really want to see authentic Tiger Blood, you have to follow the template without snacking.

If you jack your blood sugar up every two hours, you're not going to get that pancreas/blood sugar/insulin resistance healing you're looking for.

No snacking.  Eat breakfast within one hour of waking.  Go 4-5 hours inbetween meals, eat top quality proteins and fats your budget can afford.  Don't allow snacks to wipe the real foods off your plate.

You don't hear so much about nut butters lately but I've not tried them. I don't eat dried fruit. Dried fruits are concentrated fruit sugars. I eat fresh fruit, mostly berries thrown into a main protein dish.  

It took a fee days, but I'm gradually getting more and more faithful to the template and the no snacking. I'm a life long grazer and sometimes binger, so it took these past several days to realize the importance of eating a lot of food in one sitting (that isn't cookies or chips). Directly before this I had been eating six small meals a day on a schedule  

16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Good for you for planning :)  Two notes... those RX bars are not approved for anything other than emergencies.. I know that this was an annoying and tough day that required a lot of planning but knowing you had to plan for it makes it not an emergency, so next time try and grab some hardboiled eggs, tinned fish, pouched olives etc :)  

Also, those Epic Pork Rinds are on the no way list... specifically called out by Melissa as not allowed under the 'no commercially made chips' rule.  I didn't see that you listed them as having been eaten, so hide them in the back of the pantry till you're done, okay?

Good luck on the house selling! Woohoo!

I know you're trying to be helpful and guide me and that's the point of this forum but I feel annoyed and judged right now.  I should be the one to decide whether or not I use an "emergency" food product or not, especially given that it's compliant.  My sons well being came first yesterday and I don't need to explain that in detail.  

However, I did not realize that the epic bars aren't allowed.  Why not?  Can someone link the info for me?  Is it ingredient reasons or spirit of the program reasons?  Is it a rule that Melissa made up recently?  

i think today shall be my kill all the things day

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Back2Me said:

I know you're trying to be helpful and guide me and that's the point of this forum but I feel annoyed and judged right now.  I should be the one to decide whether or not I use an "emergency" food product or not, especially given that it's compliant.  My sons well being came first yesterday and I don't need to explain that in detail.  

However, I did not realize that the epic bars aren't allowed.  Why not?  Can someone link the info for me?  Is it ingredient reasons or spirit of the program reasons?  Is it a rule that Melissa made up recently?  

The bars are okay (except I think there's a flavor or two that has sugar or something that wouldn't be compliant). It's the pork rinds that are considered chips and aren't allowed under the no commercially prepared chips rule. 

Don't feel like you're being judged. You're an adult, and you get to choose what you eat, always -- but we're going to point out ways to get the most out of your Whole30, which includes not depending on bars. You didn't break your Whole30 or anything, but consider the suggestions for next time. A can of tuna or some leftover chicken or hard boiled eggs would get you more protein and less sweet than an RXBar. Taking vegetables and some kind of fat source would make for a whole meal (maybe you did, I can't remember, and I'm trying to type this around the cat who just planted himself between me and the keyboard :rolleyes:, so I'm not really going to try to go back and look now), and ultimately, a template-based meal will keep you full, help keep your mood and energy stable, and keep you from being tempted by less healthy choices -- all good things when dealing with doctors visits. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Back2Me said:

Okay, i did not mean to judge at all and I also gave you some cheer-leading for your planning and for your house selling so I obviously was not being judgmental... I didn't say you had to start over, I was merely suggesting that if you can plan for stopping for an RX bar at a Whole Foods type store, that there are better options available at that same store.  I didn't ask for you to explain yourself or defend that your son comes first, you're reading in to what I said.  I also acknowledged that it was a tough day.

I didn't say epic bars are not allowed, I said the Epic pork rinds are not allowed and yes, they are included in the no commercial chips rule that has just been clarified on the program by Melissa in addition to the fact that deep fried items are not allowed on the program.  Also, the rules are not 'made up' by Melissa... she thoughtfully considers all changes to the program and vets those changes through her team.

7 hours ago, Scolvin2303 said:

Hey guys! Checking in on Day 7. WOW am I constantly tired. I have never felt this tired in my life! I'm getting frustrated because I am SO tired I cannot get to the gym. I just want to lay around after working all day! I know in the book it says to take some days away from the gym and rest, but it has been hard. I usually go to the gym daily and do HIIT or take classes. For me, working out is a good stress reliever and social activity. I have only been to the gym twice this week and that has been hard for me. I know this is normal in this stage of the Whole30, but I wanted to know how everyone else is coping with this. Have you guys been working out regularly during Whole30? If so, what have you been doing? Thanks! Hoping for more energy soon!

Hi fellow newbie! I'm with you! I normally walk 4-6 miles/day and I haven't walked all week. Just too exhausted! Yesterday I cleaned the house with lots of rest breaks and by the end of the day I thought I'd collapse and die. I was light headed and weak kneed all week. It's better for us physiologically NOT to exercise when we're so low carb, because you end up actually burning up and losing muscle. 

But today I'm starting to feel the tiger blood! I can't believe it! :) I'm still hungry a lot of the time but I'm mentally getting through it by giving myself permission to go 30 days, not more, unless I decide to at the end of April. I haven't had any those light headed, weak kneed episodes at all today. And I have plenty of stress: my best ever five year old dog has bone cancer, and my 94 year old mother who lives a thousand miles from me is having unexpected surgery next week (I'm managing her from home for now, long story). 

So hang in there, Scolvin! You can do this! 

On 4/1/2017 at 0:49 AM, bethross said:

Hello,

I will be starting on April 1. I did a Whole 2 weeks but then I caved in to carbs, carbs, carbs.

I look forward to this group.

Hey, BethRoss,

You've got this, this time! the best is that you keep coming back. One day at a time, one bite at a time!

Diane

Today I learned:

1.  I really like Larabars!  But thanks to MeadowLily's comments, I can see that they may delay some of the healing I'm going for (skin issues first, then weight loss). I'm going to finish off the couple I still have in moderation by splitting them with my kids. Then not buy anymore. (Sidenote:  Thanks to fasting specifically from sweets twice in my past, I don't have a problem turning down desserts, muffins, cookies, etc.  I can literally walk away with no second thoughts except, ''No time to start a binge today!'' I just need to be aware of the carb vs. fat burning).  

2.  I need a beverage!  Between giving up coffee for Lent (which has been rewarding in its own way) and kombucha making me feel bad, it looks like herbal tea and almond milk will be my next try. 

3.  Whiting does not taste that great. Anyone know a good recipe to redeem the filets I have left?

So last night was a victory - I went to Bunco (a mindless dice game) where there were sandwiches, pretzels, wine, chocolate covered almonds, brownies,  . . . you get the picture. I brought my own cooked chicken breast and ate it with raw carrots and cucumbers. I know I should have had fat ...but I did NOT eat anything (wine, brownies, etc.) off plan! And I usually hit the snacks at the tables. This. Was. Not. Hard. 

I have come to use raw cashews and raisins as a "desert" to my meals and I am not measuring (yes, eating from the container). This. Is. Not Good.

I tried to plan my meals with Real Plans, but the dishes were too involved so I made adaptations, e.g., salad with Tessame dressing instead of balsamic grilled carrots and apples. Then my husband decided to start the Mayo Clinic Diet which cuts out red meat (Italian pot roast, beef lettuce tacos, and lamb burgers were on my plan for the week) and he can only have 5.5 ounces of meat protein a day. So many meats have gone into the freezer. 

I did make a big batch of homemade mayo and did one batch of Protein Salad. But now I find out the mayo is only good for one week after the eggs expire (and the husband does not eat mayo). I guess this is "meal planning pains"????

Diane

So today has been weird. It's like all the inflammation in my body has left. It's like all my joints are back where they belong. I'm reading other post and I'm not feeling tired at all. Now I have been gluten Free for 2 year so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. The food has been wonderful. A little more work than I'm use to but well worth it . Lovin Whole 30. 

9 hours ago, MeadowLily said:

Then you already know the drill, Still Here.

For others...  Do not rely on fruit and nuts to prop you up during the day.  If you eat them inbetween meals you're not giving your blood sugar/pancreas a change to heal.

Always eat them with a protein.  Don't eat fruit and nuts by themselves.  Nuts are fats and fruits are nice but not standing alone.  Eat them incorporated into a real meal. 

If you really want to see authentic Tiger Blood, you have to follow the template without snacking.

If you jack your blood sugar up every two hours, you're not going to get that pancreas/blood sugar/insulin resistance healing you're looking for.

No snacking.  Eat breakfast within one hour of waking.  Go 4-5 hours inbetween meals, eat top quality proteins and fats your budget can afford.  Don't allow snacks to wipe the real foods off your plate.

You don't hear so much about nut butters lately but I've not tried them. I don't eat dried fruit. Dried fruits are concentrated fruit sugars. I eat fresh fruit, mostly berries thrown into a main protein dish.  

Thanks for restating the finer rules that I forgot about. Starting tomorrow I will not snack or use raisins to get me thru the day!!

On 4/5/2017 at 7:57 AM, Georgina2 said:

The idea behind local honey is it very, very slowly builds up a tolerance in you to local allergens.  I don't know if there's any science behind it and it's not going to make you feel better immediately.  I'd use an OTC allergy remedy like Claritin or Zyrtec, or even better Flonaze if you don't mind spraying something up your nose it gets right to the source.

Beginning of day 5...been doing well, but I know I've had more fruit than I should. I'm also suffering from some AWFUL allergies. It's like a really bad cold that won't go away. My eyes hurt so badon't, I rub them all the time and my nose...ugh! Anyone have any solutions? A friend suggested local honey, but honey is not allowed. Between the lethargy & some depression I've been struggling with lately, I mostly want to hibernate, but..I can't. 

I have been taking OTC allergy mess, but nothing helps much. It takes a good hour & a half to two hours to kick in, and it doesn't last for 24 hours (like the package suggests), maybe 8 hours, then I'm taking more. I get up during the night to take benadryl or Sudafed to make it through the night. I. Moved here to northwest Arizona 3 years ago from Salt Lake City. Didn't have ANY allergies the first year. This year, they are the worst I've ever had. I used Flonase last night, I'll use it today to see if there's any improvementsuggestions. 

Today has been my best day yet! Finally got some relief from my allergies, thank you Flonase!  I slept well, the meals are satiating and I've created some interesting, tasty concoctions! I sautéed some slivered almonds, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers & tossed in some riced cauliflower. Added some previously cooked chicken, coconut aminos, some garlic, garlic salt & pepper.  I made what I thought was enough for leftovers, but Husband  (who is supportive but not doing whole30 with me), just had 2nds & 3rds!

Hey everyone! So encouraging knowing there are others out there taking this journey right now. what I have learned so far (really, really learned) is how often I usually mindlessly snack. An extra cracker left out on the counter? Snack. Apple slice sitting unattended? Snack. Family member bakes chocolate chip cookies for no reason? Snack. I have consciously said no to all of these but it made me realize how many sugary snacks I was eating without even giving it a second thought! My first and second days I was SO. TIRED. (I assumed it was sugar related) but the past few days have been better! 

My focus now is to really embrace the whole30 meal template by avoiding a tempting snack treat like fruit when I am not hungry, but wanting to mimic the noncompliant snacking going on around me (popcorn, cookies, chips, granola, PB&J's...). I really have been feeling full and satisfied hours after every meal so it should be easily(ish) doable.

For some reason my biggest craving lately has been oatmeal with peanut butter (???)  and making my family member's PB&J today had me feeling like I deserved a medal. Anyone else craving something weird? Or preparing noncompliant foods for family members while wanting to banish them from the house?

I hope everyone is feeling good and going strong! We can do it.

I have a couple of food questions that I haven't been able to find answers to in any of the online resources.

Where does almond milk fit in to the food plan? As a fat, like coconut milk? How much is a portion? 

Are white potatoes really allowed? I read that in a forum but it's not on the veggie list.

Thanks!

• Moderators
4 hours ago, MaineMom said:

I have a couple of food questions that I haven't been able to find answers to in any of the online resources.

Where does almond milk fit in to the food plan? As a fat, like coconut milk? How much is a portion? 

Are white potatoes really allowed? I read that in a forum but it's not on the veggie list.

Thanks!

You can use almond milk where you would use coconut milk but it's generally not as fatty as a coconut milk in the can so it's probably reasonable to consider it one of those 'nothing' things where you put a splash in your coffee but you still add additional fat to your meals.  We don't really want you drinking it straight like people drink milk so a portion is however much you like to make your coffee the right color...

Yes, white potatoes are allowed and have been since June 2014.  Not sure what veggie list you're referring to but they're definitely allowed and not every veggie that is available in the world is listed on the list but if it's a veggie (and not corn or peas, those are grains/legumes) then you're good to go.

On 4/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, Back2Me said:

I have been trying to do that also.  Helps to actually sit down and only be doing maybe ONE other thing, like reading or such.  I have even set a timer to make myself sit instead of getting up to multitask!  

Hey All, Still navigating this site. A little confused as to 'how to reply' to a post, or post a new post without my old one coming up again? Perhaps it's because of brain fog.

Relating  to those who are super tired, and having a hard time working out. I forced myself to do a HIIT style workout on Thursday, but was so achey the next day. Today,  tired again although I'm sleeping like a rock. Yawning frequently. Food plan is pretty solid though.  Headaches are minor; mostly disappeared. BMs are not ideal, but going none the less. The best part of this is I find myself laughing more, and having more patience (minus driving). I think not having alcohol (sugar) in my bod is proving to be beneficial...who would have guessed?! I can see a mental pattern of wanting to 'reward' myself with a glass of beer/cocktail after a days work, and it's pretty strong.  

On 4/7/2017 at 6:47 PM, DianeD said:

So last night was a victory - I went to Bunco (a mindless dice game) where there were sandwiches, pretzels, wine, chocolate covered almonds, brownies,  . . . you get the picture. I brought my own cooked chicken breast and ate it with raw carrots and cucumbers. I know I should have had fat ...but I did NOT eat anything (wine, brownies, etc.) off plan! And I usually hit the snacks at the tables. This. Was. Not. Hard. 

I have come to use raw cashews and raisins as a "desert" to my meals and I am not measuring (yes, eating from the container). This. Is. Not Good.

I tried to plan my meals with Real Plans, but the dishes were too involved so I made adaptations, e.g., salad with Tessame dressing instead of balsamic grilled carrots and apples. Then my husband decided to start the Mayo Clinic Diet which cuts out red meat (Italian pot roast, beef lettuce tacos, and lamb burgers were on my plan for the week) and he can only have 5.5 ounces of meat protein a day. So many meats have gone into the freezer. 

I did make a big batch of homemade mayo and did one batch of Protein Salad. But now I find out the mayo is only good for one week after the eggs expire (and the husband does not eat mayo). I guess this is "meal planning pains"????

Diane

I have not made the mayo yet; you are at least one step ahead of me. It is great that you made and you will make it again.

My husband and I bought the family size George Foreman grill/panini maker. I also bought the Whole30 cookbook; I began my shopping list for this week.

I want to use the tuna recipe for salmon to cook on the grill.

Have a great day!!!

On 4/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, Back2Me said:

I have been trying to do that also.  Helps to actually sit down and only be doing maybe ONE other thing, like reading or such.  I have even set a timer to make myself sit instead of getting up to multitask!  

Hi, I started on April 2nd. A day late, but close enough? Anyway, hope to learn something by staying connected. I've been food journaling and basically have snacks between meals (hardboiled egg/macadamia nuts and the other time it was green apple with 1T almond butter.). I get hungry about 3 hours after a meal ! Perhaps it's because of biking. Anyway i read somewhere that if you are legit hungry, EAT! Which I was...stomach growling and getting irritable. I'll try adding more fat next time. 

Symptoms on day 3 were sluggishness, foggy brain, mixed in with some mild headaches. Slept like a rock. 

Added ground flax seed with water, to keep the elimination system going. 

Archived