April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Okay?  Whole30 gets press like this all the time from companies and reporters that don't actually know what they're reviewing.  Fitness pal is not recommended for the duration of your Whole30 anyway because there is no calorie or macro tracking to be done on this program...

So I ate a hamburger with a lettuce wrap last night and felt like crap! I'm not sure if it was the grease from the burger or what, but I am definitely staying away from that. The patty was a grass fed beef patty from Trader Joe's. It was the one in the freezer section. My friends raved about the tastiness of it and the quality. I beg to differ....

1 hour ago, Kaylakat said:

So I ate a hamburger with a lettuce wrap last night and felt like crap! I'm not sure if it was the grease from the burger or what, but I am definitely staying away from that. The patty was a grass fed beef patty from Trader Joe's. It was the one in the freezer section. My friends raved about the tastiness of it and the quality. I beg to differ....

There really isn't much "grease" with those burgers. Assuming you used safe handling procedures with your raw beef patty so it could be your lettuce or some other food independent cause. But, I'm one of those who loves those patties and find them super helpful for last minute dinners. :)

So, I'm noticing that I'm still drinking coffee, but not enjoying it as much as before. The idea of drinking coffee is more attractive than actually drinking coffee ....like some relationships I've been in. Perhaps it's time to switch to yerba mate or green tea and see how that goes. 

Guys - I've hit a new low and a new high in the same day. So any time you get close to quitting, know that things can turn around in just a few hours!

The low: I've had a testing last few days with passover dinners with many tempting foods and wine. Then, I got called for jury duty, which means hours of sitting around and waiting with no (few) distractions. I shamefully ate my lunch out of boredom at 10:15. I knew my food options weren't great in the area, so I dashed to my boyfriend's work for lunch. They list every ingredient on each item, so it's usually Whole30 friendly. But then everything had peanut or alcohol or diary. Like, everything. I had some green beans and pork. In that moment, I was so close to throwing in the towel. I didn't have much time, so I had to rush back to the courthouse.

The high: Came home, had my prepped curry in the fridge and hit the gym and on the way home, something clicked! I'm typing here fully of energy. On a normal day, I'd be 100% tapped and getting ready for bed. Now, I've done plenty of nagging housework and found myself hungry and reaching for a stack of sliced peppers and finding them DELICIOUS! I'm ready to meet tomorrow! If this is Tiger Blood, sign me up. And if it isn't, I can't wait for the real thing.

Hang in there crew! We're making great progress, even if it feels like your willpower is strained.

So this is Day 11 (should be 12, but I messed up on April 1 and officially started Apr 2). My freezer has some frozen cooked meats (lamb burger and pork chops), egg and veggie muffins, and vegetable soup -  the rest of the fridge is empty - I took the last of the eggs for breakfast this morning. I am going to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods before I go home for the evening with shopping list in hand.

Another victory (which I still find pretty amazing) at work. There have been all day training so the fridge is chocked with sandwiches, cookies, cheese, etc. The office manager said "please" eat. I said, "Only if whole30 compliant!" Later, he said, "I know you love the cookies." I replied, "A cookie is not worth starting over."  I was stunned - normally I would have eaten at least four of those cookies! 

What sticks in my head the most is: "This. Is. Not. Hard. Fighting cancer is hard." I have a good friend battling breast cancer so that just nailed it for me. Each food "opportunity" is a choice and I choose ME.

Day 11 and committed!

20 hours ago, jklovey71 said:

carrots daikon.JPGfermenting veggies.JPG

Trying to get some cultured foods in me. Baby carrots and daikon radish fermenting in a brine, with garlic and thai peppers. 7 day waiting period. (black tea bag keeps them crunchy, apparently.)

Maybe I missed this somewhere. Are we supposed to have cultured food in our diet?

6 hours ago, DianeD said:

So this is Day 11 (should be 12, but I messed up on April 1 and officially started Apr 2). My freezer has some frozen cooked meats (lamb burger and pork chops), egg and veggie muffins, and vegetable soup -  the rest of the fridge is empty - I took the last of the eggs for breakfast this morning. I am going to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods before I go home for the evening with shopping list in hand.

Another victory (which I still find pretty amazing) at work. There have been all day training so the fridge is chocked with sandwiches, cookies, cheese, etc. The office manager said "please" eat. I said, "Only if whole30 compliant!" Later, he said, "I know you love the cookies." I replied, "A cookie is not worth starting over."  I was stunned - normally I would have eaten at least four of those cookies! 

What sticks in my head the most is: "This. Is. Not. Hard. Fighting cancer is hard." I have a good friend battling breast cancer so that just nailed it for me. Each food "opportunity" is a choice and I choose ME.

Day 11 and committed!

Day 12. I am feeling SO much better. Decreased pain and bloating. Sleep is much better (withe exception of last night - it sucked), but I'm not sleepy or tired throughout the day. Moods are good and I have no cravings. I work in a grocery store and walk down the Easter candy aisle several times a day. It doesn't even phase me anymore, in fact the sweet, artifical ingredient smell is a huge turn off. Also, the bread aisle...can't hardly stand the smell. I'm thirsting lately , so have been drinking more water, which I needed. I plan on doing a Whole45 (44?), when my daughter comes to spend Mother's Day/her birthday with me.  I'll have a birthday treat then. IF I feel like it! 

Since we can only buy groceries once a week, I stock up on frozen vegetables and plan meals that hot veggies work well with for the end of the week. Early in the week I do big fresh veggie salads with a warm meat. When that runs out we have more homestyle meals. It's been working well since I'm on a budget. 

I hear ya on the cashews! They are no longer welcome in the house during this. Lol 

I was just thinking about the energy thing as well. I'm not there yet at all. In fact I just feel so unmotivated. Before this I had cut out refined sugar and most gluten and my energy was boundless. But now with everything gone I feel worse. I guess it's all part of the process! We are almost halfway through the month so that's something to be excited about! :)

On 3/29/2017 at 11:53 AM, LB345 said:

Hi all!

I am starting the Whole30 April 1st and I am looking for some support buddies to help me through the process.... especially skipping my nightly glass of wine! Oh wine... I will miss you... and chocolate....sweet chocolate....and cheese, my dear friend cheese! ;)

I have complete the Whole30 before and felt AMAZING. But it all went wrong afterwards. Let's just say I went straight passed the re-introduction phase to the eat all the pies phase and have been going downhill at an astounding rate! Definitely need a re-set! 

Would love to have some people to touch base with on a regular basis, so we can encourage each other and share tips and advice. 

Who's with me? 

LB345 :)

I can so relate to your falling off the wagon at the end of the 30 days. I did the same thing after a year at Weight Watchers listening every week to the leader say, "This is not a diet. You can't go back to your old eating habits after you lose your weight." Well, I lost 60 pounds, got my lifetime membership and stopped at the grocery store on the way home to buy a box of pastries, and the rest, as they say, is history.

My counsel to myself and to you is to not let ourselves think about eating all the things we've missed come the end of the program. Actually, I'm on day 13 and am thinking about doing a 2nd 30 when this one is over. I've spent at least the last 40 years getting to where I am now and figure it will probably take more than 30 days to correct my habits and my body's balance.

Confession:  Today is the worst day so far food wise. The first week I struggled with bouts of sadness, and they came back.  I had read to increase starchy veggies and hadn't had my potatoes in the morning, but between that and some new cravings breakfast and lunch were great, then it has kind of been a cashew/potato/Larabar(1) festival. Fortunately everything has been compliant, so I have not been totally derailed. I am going to take reintroduction seriously, so it's good that I haven't disrupted the elimination portion of the diet. Anyways--hanging in there!!!

2 hours ago, IndustriousJoy said:

Confession:  Today is the worst day so far food wise. The first week I struggled with bouts of sadness, and they came back.  I had read to increase starchy veggies and hadn't had my potatoes in the morning, but between that and some new cravings breakfast and lunch were great, then it has kind of been a cashew/potato/Larabar(1) festival. Fortunately everything has been compliant, so I have not been totally derailed. I am going to take reintroduction seriously, so it's good that I haven't disrupted the elimination portion of the diet. Anyways--hanging in there!!!

Good for you that you're not giving up. You just keep on keeping on!

Good finding for the day:  I don't need to buy raw nuts anymore. They are yummy but expensive, and I can't stop eating them. I have enjoyed them as a snack for years but they are too caloric and easy to grab handfuls. Plus with all the cashews I ate yesterday they can cause bloat 

I had to make an emergency trip on Day 11 until today and I was determined to stay on the Whole 30 plan. I booked a hotel with a fridge and microwave that included breakfast, and found a grocery store as soon as I could. There were always eggs at breakfast and I noshed on veggies right afterwards in my room. I spent a lot of time at a hospital but my hotel was close enough that I could run back for lunch (and take a little break). There was a lot of unpleasant and dirty work involved dealing with my mother's home and car and I REALLY wanted to go out for a nice (Whole30 compliant) meal, but I was so exhausted I doubted my ability to withstand the temptations, so back to my room I went! I doubt that all of my meals precisely followed the template as far as portions, but I did my best and feel so good about managing myself! No longer feeling bloated and having more energy is a huge incentive to stick with it. Can't wait to get home later today! 

4 hours ago, MaineMom said:

I had to make an emergency trip on Day 11 until today and I was determined to stay on the Whole 30 plan. I booked a hotel with a fridge and microwave that included breakfast, and found a grocery store as soon as I could. There were always eggs at breakfast and I noshed on veggies right afterwards in my room. I spent a lot of time at a hospital but my hotel was close enough that I could run back for lunch (and take a little break). There was a lot of unpleasant and dirty work involved dealing with my mother's home and car and I REALLY wanted to go out for a nice (Whole30 compliant) meal, but I was so exhausted I doubted my ability to withstand the temptations, so back to my room I went! I doubt that all of my meals precisely followed the template as far as portions, but I did my best and feel so good about managing myself! No longer feeling bloated and having more energy is a huge incentive to stick with it. Can't wait to get home later today! 

Good for you!! I hope everything is ok. Family stress can definitely be a gateway to eating like crap but look at you...you go girl!!

On 4/5/2017 at 7:57 AM, Georgina2 said:

The idea behind local honey is it very, very slowly builds up a tolerance in you to local allergens.  I don't know if there's any science behind it and it's not going to make you feel better immediately.  I'd use an OTC allergy remedy like Claritin or Zyrtec, or even better Flonaze if you don't mind spraying something up your nose it gets right to the 

Archived