April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, IndustriousJoy said:

Just with all the cooking I have to do an extra full load of dishes every day!  One of those lifestyle adjustments!

In a dishwasher?  LOL... I've been eating Whole30 for four or so years now and I wash all my dishes and pans by hand ;)  I think I won (or gave myself) some sort of internet award for doing Whole30 with no dishwasher ;)

1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

In a dishwasher?  LOL... I've been eating Whole30 for four or so years now and I wash all my dishes and pans by hand ;)  I think I won (or gave myself) some sort of internet award for doing Whole30 with no dishwasher ;)

What's a dishwasher? :)

And, it is astounding how many plastic food containers and cat food dishes one human and two cats can use. I blame Whole30 for my "no amount of food is too small to save and eat for a meal!" mentality.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

What's a dishwasher? :)

And, it is astounding how many plastic food containers and cat food dishes one human and two cats can use. I blame Whole30 for my "no amount of food is too small to save and eat for a meal!" mentality.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one!  I actually don't mind doing dishes, altho I do lean away from cooking things that create a lot of dishes (turkey dinner) or a lot of grease (rotissierizing a chicken) because that just gets to be too much...

Whole30 actually was the impetus for me starting a rather impressive vintage pyrex collection because I can't bring myself to use plastic... The kitty even eats off of vintage china tea saucers... I blame Whole30 for my great taste in antiques ;)

2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I'm so happy I'm not the only one!  I actually don't mind doing dishes, altho I do lean away from cooking things that create a lot of dishes (turkey dinner) or a lot of grease (rotissierizing a chicken) because that just gets to be too much...

Whole30 actually was the impetus for me starting a rather impressive vintage pyrex collection because I can't bring myself to use plastic... The kitty even eats off of vintage china tea saucers... I blame Whole30 for my great taste in antiques ;)

That's a good idea--I guess you get them from resale shops?  I want to switch from plastic but need to gradually to stay in budget. Kudos to ya'll doing all the hand washing!  Just getting everything cooked, rinsed, loaded and started is hard enough with all the, ''Mommy watch this, play with me, sister's hitting me, why do you always ignore me,'' commentary I've been getting lately. Unfortunately more time in the kitchen won't go away when this is done if I keep cooking like I should!

PS:  The past two days I have been able to do more. Energy level is rising, and I like it!  Also coffee makes me feel terrible, and I'm in serious need of a tasty drink that can be warmed or iced. Chai tea?

17 minutes ago, Alaska Woman said:

I really like Rooibos tea either hot or iced. And you can get it in different flavors and it's naturally non-caffeinated.

I bought some from Yogi Tea to have during the 30 days, but that brand has stevia (didn't check since I didn't think the tea would have sweetener included!). I'll have to get a different brand and try it!

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, IndustriousJoy said:

That's a good idea--I guess you get them from resale shops?  I want to switch from plastic but need to gradually to stay in budget. Kudos to ya'll doing all the hand washing!  Just getting everything cooked, rinsed, loaded and started is hard enough with all the, ''Mommy watch this, play with me, sister's hitting me, why do you always ignore me,'' commentary I've been getting lately. Unfortunately more time in the kitchen won't go away when this is done if I keep cooking like I should!

PS:  The past two days I have been able to do more. Energy level is rising, and I like it!  Also coffee makes me feel terrible, and I'm in serious need of a tasty drink that can be warmed or iced. Chai tea?

I don't pay more than about $10 for each pyrex item... I often get them at Value Village... they're more expensive when they have a lid (which is awesome) but they work just as well without a lid if you have some plastic wrap.  I also only pay up to $3 each for my vintage china plates collection and I don't need to buy tea saucers because I was gifted a huge stack.  I like re-using things that are already out there, rather than buyinig new :)  Plus, it's fun to eat off of and out of things with a history and more character :)

14 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Plus, it's fun to eat off of and out of things with a history and more character :)

I used to think that everythng had to match, but now I actually like the quirkiness of mixed patterns in crockery/furniture/furnishings..... Very stylish!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

I used to think that everythng had to match, but now I actually like the quirkiness of mixed patterns in crockery/furniture/furnishings..... Very stylish!

Amen sister!  I"m actually really against things that match... especially a bedroom suite, which you will NEVER find in my house... a matching headboard, nightstands, chest of drawers and dresser? EW!  

Plus, eating off china is so... dainty... and I"m pretty much nothing like dainty in any aspect of my life, so it's fun!

On 4/17/2017 at 10:01 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Not stepping on the scale is as much a rule as not eating dairy... please don't.. stay true and honorable to the commitment you made to yourself and wait until the end.  Seriously.

So what is the purpose of that rule? The food ones make sense, but I'd like to understand the rationale behind staying off the scale as part of the commitment. Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, MaineMom said:

So what is the purpose of that rule? The food ones make sense, but I'd like to understand the rationale behind staying off the scale as part of the commitment. Thanks in advance!

I think it just goes against the spirit of it being a program thats more about helping you develop a healthy relationship with the food you eat and how it changes your body more so than a weight loss program. If you weigh yourself, it becomes more about numbers and not how eating healthy foods are improving your quality of life.

Not a moderator or someone who completed a whole30 already, just what I took away from reading the book. I'm doing my whole30 to eliminate my chronic digestive pain, and so far it's working! If I was stepping on a scale, I might confuse the fact that I haven't lost weight with the whole program being a failure.

Others may have a different take on this, but for me it's about focusing on what I eat. That is, what I eat is something I can directly control, but what the scale says is influenced by a lot of things that are beyond my direct control. If I start obsessing about what I weigh, I think I'd be tempted to start tinkering with the program rules in order to show a drop on the scales.

• Moderators

We want participants to focus on the non scale victories of the program... better hair, skin, nails, sleep, mood... weightloss is neither linear nor guaranteed and what we've noticed is that a person can have a huge number of non scale victories but if their weight isn't changing, they are so focused on that that they forget how amazing everything else feels/looks. Plus, weight is actually not an indicator of anything other than how gravity is interacting with your body... for proof, take a look at this article.s.. http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/this-fitness-blogger-has-just-proved-that-weight-can-be-irrelevant-when-youre-getting-fit-6470265/

The rules are all very thoughtfully considered and there aren't many of them... five in fact... not getting on the scale was thoughtfully considered for how to help make your relationship with food and your body more healthy :)

Day 20 here. I feel so little difference it's disheartening. I can't ascribe my increased energy specifically to the change in diet, because the sun has returned to Seattle (plus I'm still sleepy). I don't feel like I've lost an ounce. I've asked all the people who regularly see my body (massage therapist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, and husband, not necessarily in that order) and they observe no change. My husband says maybe my face looks a little difference. No change in the back flab. Tshirts that had gotten tight are still tight. I only wear leggings and tshirts, and the tshirts I stopped wearing because the sleeves had gotten too tight, are still too tight. As ever, doing a restricted diet is doing nothing for me.

I am used to eating a heavily plant based diet with meat only 3-4 total meals per week, and we've been rotating meat-fish-meat-fish for dinners every night. I'm used to tofu and veg, tofu and veg, beans and rice and veg. So that's different.

I haven't eaten wheat, dairy, soy, or sugar since day 1. No difference.

No difference in bowel function.

No difference in appetite.

Frustrated. Thought I'd be a tiny bit changed.

The only "diet" that has ever helped was the Clean Cleanse -- protein smoothie for breakfast, protein and veg for lunch, light soup for dinner. Lost a ton. Gained it back when I started eating like a normal human again.

frustrated.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:06 PM, Tara A. said:

Hello everyone! Joining for the April 1 start. I want to do a Whole60 this time, so will be going till June.  I am a 38 y.o. woman living in the Northwest.

I did a Whole30 with friends last year, in August, and felt great, lost weight (about 13 lbs), gained energy, etc. However the results didn't end up sticking long term for a number a reasons. Making a Whole60 commitment this time as I read that it takes 8 weeks to change habits, so want to give myself a chance to have those sync in. :) My friends are not doing it with me this time, and that's a shame because I found community support to be a big success factor last year. Hope to find (and provide!) similar support here!

I experimented with paleo challenges and lifestyle even before discovering Whole30, and know for fact and not from some book that  it's the best for me, the trick is to actually stick with it. So... basically using these 2 months as a way to jumpstart a long term lifestyle change, which will involve 80/20 paleo and regular workouts.

Will make sure to make it to Trader Joe's around Friday and get salads, cauliflower rice, sweet potato pasta, etc. :)  Excited to start!

That's so upsetting to hear. I think that since you were eating pretty decent before and are continuing a good diet that maybe at this point it takes exercise. i hope you don't get discouraged. I too live near Seattle and know that we definitely need some extra vitamin D.

good luck

Kayla

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Knittheresistance said:

Day 20 here. I feel so little difference it's disheartening. I can't ascribe my increased energy specifically to the change in diet, because the sun has returned to Seattle (plus I'm still sleepy). I don't feel like I've lost an ounce. I've asked all the people who regularly see my body (massage therapist, chiropractor, acupuncturist, and husband, not necessarily in that order) and they observe no change. My husband says maybe my face looks a little difference. No change in the back flab. Tshirts that had gotten tight are still tight. I only wear leggings and tshirts, and the tshirts I stopped wearing because the sleeves had gotten too tight, are still too tight. As ever, doing a restricted diet is doing nothing for me.

I am used to eating a heavily plant based diet with meat only 3-4 total meals per week, and we've been rotating meat-fish-meat-fish for dinners every night. I'm used to tofu and veg, tofu and veg, beans and rice and veg. So that's different.

I haven't eaten wheat, dairy, soy, or sugar since day 1. No difference.

No difference in bowel function.

No difference in appetite.

Frustrated. Thought I'd be a tiny bit changed.

The only "diet" that has ever helped was the Clean Cleanse -- protein smoothie for breakfast, protein and veg for lunch, light soup for dinner. Lost a ton. Gained it back when I started eating like a normal human again.

frustrated.

Oh dear, sorry to hear this.  It's hard for us to give you any sort of directed advice without knowing more specifically what you're eating... can you list out two or three days of your food intake including portion sizes related to template, specific veggies, protein, fats and fruit, water intake etc... 

2 hours ago, Kaylakat said:

That's so upsetting to hear. I think that since you were eating pretty decent before and are continuing a good diet that maybe at this point it takes exercise. i hope you don't get discouraged. I too live near Seattle and know that we definitely need some extra vitamin D.

good luck

Kayla

Hi Kaylakat,

I started April 1 and am planning on doing 60 days also. This is my first time on Whole 30 and I'm not finding it hard at all. After 30 some years of alternately bingeing and dieting I think I need more than 30 days to get everything into good shape metabolically- and hormone- wise

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Oh dear, sorry to hear this.  It's hard for us to give you any sort of directed advice without knowing more specifically what you're eating... can you list out two or three days of your food intake including portion sizes related to template, specific veggies, protein, fats and fruit, water intake etc... 

That's gotta be a real bummer. The only thing I can offer is don't quit yet because it may be that your system has been so messed up from past eating practices and perhaps food allergies you didn't know you have that it will just take longer for things to get better. I know I'm planning to do a "Whole 60" for that very reason.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Michelle Arthur said:

A friend wants to meet tomorrow for lunch at Panera.  Anyone know of anything compliant there to drink or eat? I was thinking a salad and bring my own dressing... maybe tea?

Look online first, check out what might work and then ask questions when you get there.  You can google 'whole30 guide to dining out' for help in what to look for.

The past three days there has been a definite increase in my energy levels. My afternoon slump is shortening, and the kids and I make better use of our afternoons and evenings because I'm not dragging. I do wish that cooking wasn't taking so much of my extra time and energy, though. There are a few new recipes I'm getting good at, so things are getting a little easier and more streamlined. I think I'm pretty much entering Tiger Blood--or what it will look like for me!

Archived