April 1st Start Date - Support Group

LB345

1 hour ago, DianeD said:

So I am starting over . . . . bummer. I guess I should have sent the scallops back. 

I'm a big cheerleader for people making the choice to start over or not (rather than having the forums/blogs/comments guilt them into it) - but if I was in your shoes, I think I would do the same. Maybe you can mentally frame it as a 30+ extension, rather than starting over. Then you can imagine how much better your body will feel after an extra 30 days! I'm guessing the ten days of your re-start won't be as difficult as the first ten days.

Best of luck :)

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/22/2017 at 5:53 PM, Whole Nerdy said:

Hello, checking in here, Day 22 of 1st Whole 30. Mainly looking to contain uncontrolled snacking and be in deep dialogue with various sugar demons. What I noticed right away on this diet is that my attitude toward my food changed. I am much more conscious, organized, and intentional towards my food. I am not buying food on impulse, taking a few bites, and then discarding it for my next treat. This is important because I used to be vegetarian, and now I am eating meat in a pretty serious way and wanting to respect the animal by not throwing out more than I need to. Even my fridge is neater and cleaner--although I'm eating at home as much as possible, so it's full of food. 

Up until a couple days ago, my sugar craving was continual. To satisfy it, I kept snacking, although with compliant ingredients--you know, an apple slathered with sun butter, followed by berries in coconut milk, followed by pistachios and dried fruit, followed by... well, you get the idea. Melissa keeps saying in the Whole30 book not to do this, and I thought the sugar cravings would subside and I would stop snacking, but it didn't happen. Finally I decided to seize the beast by the horns and cease snacking, and cut out nuts and dried fruit for the last 10 days. (I do plan to use sun butter to make Sunshine Sauce.) Since that happened--voila--those awful sugar cravings have mostly gone away. And I thought it was all physical. Hah. It's habitual--which I believe is the point of these guidelines. So I feel encouraged. Reversing a habit is no easy thing.

Great job!!!!! What an accomplishment!!!!!

1 hour ago, DianeD said:

So I am starting over . . . . bummer. I guess I should have sent the scallops back. 

You are starting over because of scallops????

1 hour ago, RosieD said:

Is the recipe in the Whole30 book?

It is in the Whole30 cookbook. I tried to see what page but I could not find it. It is in the poultry section.

I know I answered this an hour ago but I am not sure I specified that it is in the cookbook.

47 minutes ago, WholeRunner said:

I'm a big cheerleader for people making the choice to start over or not (rather than having the forums/blogs/comments guilt them into it) - but if I was in your shoes, I think I would do the same. Maybe you can mentally frame it as a 30+ extension, rather than starting over. Then you can imagine how much better your body will feel after an extra 30 days! I'm guessing the ten days of your re-start won't be as difficult as the first ten days.

Best of luck :)

Thanks for the support! Now I only have 2 days after my new Whole 30 until I go on an international vacation . . . and I had wanted to do the slow re introduction. 

Thanks for the article!  The elimination portion of the diet is why I am doing it in the first place. In the past I have done two dairy only, three month elimination stints and definitely have a sensitivity.  Was already eating dairy free before starting.  The Whole30 is quick because you eliminate a lot  of things at once and can test a lot of things at once. It is possible to do elimination diets one thing at a time, so I would think if one messed up on something clear cut like butter you could extend only dairy. That's just for people who may want to give up entirely otherwise. Honestly doing the Whole30 is pretty enjoyable after awhile, so keeping it going in full can be good!  I have an event May 5 that I need to introduce corn for beforehand or I'd be going farther. May wait to reintroduce beyond that after the fifth. It took two weeks to plan the Whole30, so I want to give some time to plan and analyze reintroduction!

13 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

You'll be glad you did. It's a challenge to eat out on Whole30. I took the easy way out and always ate my own food. :)

If I really think about it, there is no reason I need to reintroduce for the event.  I'll just plan around it like I'm used to and keep pushing on!  My skin is not 100% cleared up, so it may need more time.  It took about two weeks to get the hang of things, so it hasn't been that long that things have been "rockin."  It would be kind of sad to just get to where healing is settling in or really beginning only to reintroduce something irritating.   

I will be continuing.  Just saw a functional health dr for some intestinal and autoimmune issues. I had scheduled this appt prior to the whole30. Much of my intestinal problems have already resolved on the diet but I need some tweeking. Found out I have a yeast issue as well as high sulfa. So eggs are now out for me as well.  Will be having lab work and sending in a sample of my stool. Yay!  So thankful for dr like this.  He was very pleased with my whole30 and said I am on the right track.  Just need a little extra help with some of the detox.

I'm continuing for the most part - pretty much for always. I've been changed, for good. I can't imagine going back to having the constant digestive pain I had just 24 short days ago.

But I am going to re-intro wine here and there. Food Freedom, and all that :)

I have the great opportunity to go to Europe (not sure where yet) for the weekend , so I have decided to cut me whole30 short by 2 days. I won't go crazy but I will have either wine or pints. I will go back on it when i get home so just taking a detour.

I have decided that this is my food feeedom!!

12 hours ago, IndustriousJoy said:

How many people are going to add time on for sure?  It's great that so many of us are seeing benefits and feeling better!

I'm actually bummed it's coming to and end, so I think I'm going to extend.   Might loosen it up just a little to allow for the occasional popcorn or wine. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, zork2112 said:

I'm actually bummed it's coming to and end, so I think I'm going to extend.   Might loosen it up just a little to allow for the occasional popcorn or wine. 

If you're going to do that, your best bet (for all who want to keep going) is to go ahead and do the re-introduction so you know exactly how things make you feel.

To use this popcorn or wine example, it would be best if you tested these items out so that you were making an educated decision if popcorn is worth 'loosening up' for.... for me, it never is... so bloaty!  For you it may be but you won't know until you use the groundwork you've layed in the last 30 days and then go and do the reintros... then you can make a WholeZork2112 plan that is as close to Whole30 as you want it to be, while still allowing things you feel are worth it, when they are... hence, food freedom :)

I am in for a Whole45! I was on the fence for awhile but realized the things holding me back weren't the right things that should be holding me back! My coworkers in particular are not being very supportive and that was one of the reasons I didn't want to continue...being judged. But then I thought...to hell with that! I want to keep going a bit longer because my husband will be gone for those extra two weeks at annual army training...so why start indulging/celebrating by myself without him?! Also, I am still wanting to solidify good habits. I'm scared I will start reintroducing things and then thinking I can have them ALL the time! So count me in for a longer Whole30! :)

I've been seesawing about whether to continue, or to continue and only add Greek yogurt with fruit once/day for breakfast because I miss it so much! On Day 20 I broke a rule and weighed myself; I felt like I'd lost some weight, but needed to know if being on this plan was "worth it" because I was ready to throw in the towel. Just feeling down and discouraged, in no small part because my young dog is dying of bone cancer. She and I have an uncommonly close bond, and she's saved my sanity while dealing with my diminished physical capacity after barely surviving severe sepsis.

It was the right decision for me, because it renewed my commitment and inspired me to continue. The results weren't spectacular or anything, but I'm in that infamous phase of trying to lose the last 15 pounds and now I truly believe I will get there thanks to Whole30. Not that the change on the scale is the only or most important aspect of what I was hoping to experience, by a long shot. Increased energy and clarity were and are number 1! I've learned a lot, I enjoy the new concoctions I create for meals, and I do appreciate everyone who's chimed in on this forum. You've all been a great support! And I've been impresssed with the input of the moderators as well.

6 hours ago, MaineMom said:

I've been seesawing about whether to continue, or to continue and only add Greek yogurt with fruit once/day for breakfast because I miss it so much! On Day 20 I broke a rule and weighed myself; I felt like I'd lost some weight, but needed to know if being on this plan was "worth it" because I was ready to throw in the towel. Just feeling down and discouraged, in no small part because my young dog is dying of bone cancer. She and I have an uncommonly close bond, and she's saved my sanity while dealing with my diminished physical capacity after barely surviving severe sepsis.

It was the right decision for me, because it renewed my commitment and inspired me to continue. The results weren't spectacular or anything, but I'm in that infamous phase of trying to lose the last 15 pounds and now I truly believe I will get there thanks to Whole30. Not that the change on the scale is the only or most important aspect of what I was hoping to experience, by a long shot. Increased energy and clarity were and are number 1! I've learned a lot, I enjoy the new concoctions I create for meals, and I do appreciate everyone who's chimed in on this forum. You've all been a great support! And I've been impresssed with the input of the moderators as well.

I hope you and your dog are creating more memories every day. (Hugs)

Please don't hate me, but I have to say I haven't been bored at all and in fact have never truly enjoyed what I was eating as much as I have these past few weeks. And I really haven't been yearning for anything in particular from my former life. I may be heading for a rude awakening down the road, but so far so good, as the guy falling from the 100 story building said as he passed the 50th floor!

Archived