Eating too much?

I've been following the whole 30 cookbook recipes and their portion sizes. But I feel like I'm eating way too much. Like I'm going to pack on the pounds instead of lose them. Am I crazy?

yesterday breakfast was two hard boiled eggs with radishes and a spoonful of avocado. Lunch was cabbage slaw from the cookbook, with grilled chicken on top. Dinner was steak salad from the cookbook with sweet potato baked "fries" with fresh aoili. 

Today breakfast was the same, with half an apple added. Lunch was protein salad made with chicken, grapes, walnuts and onion, over romaine lettuce. Dinner was red cabbage and cilantro mixed with cilantro lime dressing, topped with grilled chicken. 

I feel like I'm not hungry at all and have to force myself to eat. It's all delicious and I want to eat, I just don't feel hungry. 

Can someone reassure me that I won't gain weight? Or give me some tips for how not to overeat? Thanks!

• Moderators

We can't guarantee that you won't gain weight at some point in this process. If you're used to restricting calories, there may be an initial period where your body is now getting more than you used to and it may hold on to some weight for a little while, but if you keep eating this way, giving your body all the healthy foods it needs to function at its best, then it can either maintain or lose, depending on what it needs to do to hit a healthy weight. There's also an initial period of time when many people find they feel bloated and feel bigger, just as their body adjusts to digesting different foods than they're used to. (Check out the timeline for a little more on what to expect.)

Follow the meal template for your meals. Don't be afraid to add fat -- check the template for amounts. Trust the process, and see what happens. Pay attention to NSVs (Non-Scale Victories) throughout your 30 days -- see if you notice better sleep, waking up more easily, clearer skin, better mood, or any of the other possibilities on this list. Remember that not weighing is a rule, so don't give in to that temptation. It really will be okay. If you need more reassurance, check out the Success Stories part of the forum to remind yourself that lots of people have done this before and seen all kinds of successes, some weight-related, some not.

I don't have the cookbook and you don't mention portion sizes and you also don't mention fats with some of your meals. 

Follow the meal template and use those recommendations as your guide (e.g. 1-2 palms of protein.) The template calls for 1-3 cups of vegetables--which means fill your plate! 

Follow the template and don't worry about eating too much. The goal is to nourish your body with real food. 

Many newbies don't eat enough and that leads to less than ideal results. 

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Thank you for the support! The timeline has been a tremendous help. I started this program after getting halfway through the Arbonne 30 day detox, because there are so many sweeteners in the products. I had already been basically following the whole 30 rules, just doing two Arbonne shakes and one meal per day. It's a huge difference in the amount of food I'm eating! I suppose I should be thankful that the veggies are helping make me feel full, but when I look in the mirror I can see the gains I made on the detox seem to have reversed very quickly. 

I am going on a Mediterranean cruise the week after my whole 30 is complete, and I'm really determined to go down at least one dress size before then! 

• Moderators

Being determined to go down a dress size is a nice thought but there's no guarantee that's going to happen, especially when you are coming from doing things like drinking shakes and only eating one meal a day.  Your body will believe that the famine is over and since it doesn't know when that might happen again, it's going to hold on to nutrition... for how long is anyone's guess... you don't say what day you're on but to expect drastic weightloss over 30 days after coming from a program like what you were doing is expecting a lot.

As well, the Whole30 is not a 'diet' or a weight loss gimmick.. losing weight is sometimes a side effect of removing processed foods from one's diet and eating healthy whole foods but it's not a guarantee and you won't find tips or tricks on here about how to hack the whole30 to make it so.

Keep eating to the template and remind yourself that you're honoring your body by fueling it with real food and consider that maybe that dress size is not as important as gaining a healthy relationship with food :)

I've had the same worries about eating too much. The first day or two I went by the number of servings the recipes said they made, which really seemed like a lot of food per serving. Then I started using the meal template and feel like the amounts are more reasonable. It's still uncomfortable to be eating so much fat but will "keep the faith" and wait to see what happens. I do want to lose weight but have a number of non-weight goals as well and will be  happy if I achieve them.

Archived