April 3rd start date...new to whole30!

40by41

1 hour ago, fitzgeraldm92 said:

Good morning on Day 4 everyone! 

I successfully made it through my first "Whole30 Test" as I'm choosing to call it - a happy hour with $10 unlimited sangria :o without caving!

$10 for UNLIMITED sangria?????
1. I need to move to Orlando, apparently.
2. I give you all the credit in the world for having that kind of will power. Treat yo'self once you're done this program!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day FIVE! Hope all are well this am. I had homemade chicken sausage patties and a slice of frittata this am (made last night with leftovers - onion, salmon, asparagus). Feeling good - and the coffee I made with my new vanilla bean ghee is actually really tasty :) 

Going to a party tonight - wish me luck!

24 minutes ago, FayFay said:

Going to a party tonight - wish me luck!

Stay strong at the party! You can do it!! 

Day 4 was really bad for me. Horrible headache ALL day that was not made better by the fact that I stare at a computer screen all day, and I definitely wanted to Kill all the things. It made me realize how emotional my relationship with food was. Yesterday morning I wasn't hungry after breakfast but I wanted to eat for comfort because I was in such a bad mood, then last night I was dying for anything that I thought might make my head feel better-aka sugar. Resisted all the urges though and stuck to Whole30! 

I hope everyone has a great Day 5! 

9 minutes ago, fitzgeraldm92 said:

Stay strong at the party! You can do it!! 

Day 4 was really bad for me. Horrible headache ALL day that was not made better by the fact that I stare at a computer screen all day, and I definitely wanted to Kill all the things. It made me realize how emotional my relationship with food was. Yesterday morning I wasn't hungry after breakfast but I wanted to eat for comfort because I was in such a bad mood, then last night I was dying for anything that I thought might make my head feel better-aka sugar. Resisted all the urges though and stuck to Whole30! 

I hope everyone has a great Day 5! 

It's just amazing how sugar is in every aspect of our lives. It's day 5 and I'm doing well so far. I ate dinner too early yesterday and ended up having an emergency Larabar last night. What healthy snacks does everyone use, especially in the evening. I'm diabetic so fruit is not a good option prior to bedtime. 

3 minutes ago, Rossman said:

It's just amazing how sugar is in every aspect of our lives. It's day 5 and I'm doing well so far. I ate dinner too early yesterday and ended up having an emergency Larabar last night. What healthy snacks does everyone use, especially in the evening. I'm diabetic so fruit is not a good option prior to bedtime. 

I love baby carrots. You'll find that they are substantially sweeter after a couple of weeks of limiting sugar, and with the amount of chewing you have to do, you don't need that many. Plus, it's a quick boost of fiber. 

Day 5, woohoo! Anyone else getting the best sleep of their life? I've literally slept like a rock all week, it's been great. I haven't had too many headaches (though I have one at the moment), but my energy keeps fading in and out. I'm sure part of that is because I switched from coffee to green tea...can't do coffee without creamer, and coconut milk isn't the same! I'm drinking a lot of water to try to wake up, but it's not helping too much. Although lack of energy seems to be pretty normal during the first week, so I've been reading?

After today we are 1/5 of the way there!  

I was at another meeting yesterday where candy was on every table, and then at a pot luck with lots of delicious food, including yummy desserts, but both times stuck to Whole30 and didn't feel deprived.  It is weird, when I am doing a program like this or have given up something like sweets for lent, I can stick to the plan, but when I just want to eat better, I don't have the will power?!?  

Instead of going out tonight, I am having a friend over for dinner.  This way I can control the food, and since he has been trying to eat better, he is happy to have a delicious, nutritious meal (even if that means no alcohol and no dessert!).  

Along with changing my diet, I have made a committment to getting to the gym/exercising more and to going to bed and getting up at the same times everyday.  I know it seems like a lot of change at once, but these are things I do pretty much anyway, but I  need to tweak a bit, and since I am single, I have control over my schedule and routine.  

To help me keep to my plan, I have made modest goals (stay on Whole30, get to the gym or go on a 5 mile walk at least 3X a week) or I will donate $100 to the political party with which I do NOT agree!  (read Freakonomics or listen to their podcast for inspiration to change habits).  I  have used Dietbet in the past and found, being the frugal person I am, the money I would lose if I didn't lose the weight (and, actually, I doubled my money!) was enough of a motivator to keep me going, and, like Whole30,  it had a great on-line support group!

Have a great weekend! Stay strong against the Easter candy!  Get out in the fresh air for a walk! 

Okay, so big family gathering at my house this weekend. Upon request made my special extra cheesy pepperoni and meat lasagna, with homemade bread. I realized how much I eat AS I cook, and worked hard to successfully resist not popping pepperoni and fresh bread in my mouth as I cooked! I DID NOT FALTER!!! Yay! I had some chili from whole30 book and salad. I made it through, woohoo!

Days 10 and 11 are supposed to be the days that we're most likely to quit! How is everyone doing? I'm currently fasting to have blood work done this afternoon which is not making me happy, but on the bright side, I definitely can't give in to sugary office snacks today! 

My husband and I started the 3rd with everyone and roller coaster ride has been interesting, but honestly today is the first day we are starting to feel better. Hope every stays strong with the holiday. In the South, Easter means mimosa's and honey baked ham.       

We are about 1/3 of the way done!  Keep with it! 

I have noticed I am not as stiff when I sit at my desk too long or get out of bed! I went to friends' for dinner last night and they were happy to accommodate me with a great salad, broccoli and grilled steak!  

So, with Easter tomorrow, it will be a challenge to stay strong, but honestly, I think I am over the hump!  I continue to notice I do not get as stiff when I sit too long and I continue to sleep well and feel great.  How is everyone else doing? What changes have you seen?

Sorry I haven't checked back in, I have been super swamped with work and holiday houseguests!  Plus add in all the cooking and the dishes (so.many.dishes...) :ph34r:

I think I'm getting better at meal creativity & using all my produce.  For instance on Easter I made a sweet potato hash with chopped onion, cauliflower bits & zucchini chunks and the leftovers went into a small loaf pan and were baked with eggs as breakfast quiche for the week.

Prepping ahead for meals has been my key for success.  For instance last Saturday I made grass fed burgers with bibb lettuce wraps & rolled the remainder of my ground meat into meatballs for easy snacks this week.  It's easy to make hard boiled eggs to have as protein snacks.  I've also bought a bunch of wild caught frozen fish so I can transfer salmon fillets or tuna steaks into the fridge to marinate for meals down the line.  I bought some coconut aminos they're great as a fish marinade.  Right now I also have some no sugar added bacon wrapped scallops ready to go in my fridge, just need to turn on the oven and load the broil pan with my skewers :lol:

In terms of sugar cravings I won't lie I have eaten some dates here and there to quell it.  That's not exactly the best I could be doing I know.  But I haven't given up in a frustrated huff and tossed Cadbury Easter chocolates down my gullet either over Easter weekend so I'm calling it a win.  

My skin looks fantastic.  My sleep has been awesome.  I don't know that I'm feeling the tiger blood effect yet though, haha.

On the negative side I've identified that I have emotional eating tendencies.  I want food even when I'm not hungry after dinner :huh:  I have been making lots of herbal teas since I know I am not functionally hungry even though my brain is calling for a treat.  Turn off, brain, your body is not hungry!

First Whole30, first forum post, day 18. I'm feeling incredibly frustrated and deflated. Although I've noticed some positive effects throughout the process (calmer stomach, more energy throughout the day), my sleep actually began to get worse during last week (I'm waking up in the middle of the night with aches in my hips and otherwise restless legs). I'm also having trouble looking forward to meals because of the amount of time I'm spending cooking (even though I love cooking!) and what feels like a LOT of food to eat in order to avoid snacking. Sometimes meals feel like an obstacle to overcome and I'm enjoying the food less.

Yesterday was my most challenging day yet. I had to travel via train to a work conference up and back in one day. I was able to have a normal breakfast, but lunch and dinner were a hodge-podge of food that was scraped together based on what was available and what was compliant. I stayed compliant for the day (success!) but the food I had was wholly unsatisfying and the proportions of vegetables, protein, and fat were totally out-of-whack, so I felt terrible. Lunch was undressed salad with the inside of a sandwich scraped out, fruit (probably too much, but it was all that was available) with coconut flakes, and a beef jerky bar. Dinner was a plan train station burger (yuck) on undressed greens with a Larabar and more coconut flakes straight out of the bag. Thank god I planned ahead and brought supplemental snacks that were compliant, but it still felt like a bad day food-wise.

I felt starving and awful when I got home, and this morning I'm having trouble motivating myself to stay on for the remaining twelve days. Anyone care to chime in with some motivational words, or other tips to fend off my misery? Maybe it's just my mood today.

• Moderators

I would feel terrible after a day of eating like that too... that doesn't explain the first paragraph... list out what you've been eating (not yesterday) fora  couple days and share portion sizes related to template, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits, snacks, water intake etc... and we can see if there's anything that stands out.

@Junebug2015 Just want to say I feel your pain! Last week I was feeling very discouraged after not really seeing any changes in my body. I was also exhausted with the amount of time and preparation (and money) goes into staying compliant, and then on Days 15 and 16 I had a HORRIBLE migraine. After evaluating a lot of my meals I realized I hadn't been following the meal template 100% for the past few days so I ramped up my meals and I have finally hit tiger blood! I feel amazing and have so much energy, so it will come for you too if you stick to it! 

We're so close now that for me the finish line is a huge motivator. I don't want the past 18 days to be for nothing, and I don't want to have to start all over. Hang in there and maybe try to find some good crockpot recipes that are a little less prep-time consuming? We've got this! 

57 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

I would feel terrible after a day of eating like that too... that doesn't explain the first paragraph... list out what you've been eating (not yesterday) fora  couple days and share portion sizes related to template, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits, snacks, water intake etc... and we can see if there's anything that stands out.

I’ve listed out typical meals below, as well as water consumption, meal timing, and some other info that I thought might be healthy.

Typical breakfasts

3 eggs in some form (hard boiled, in egg bake, or fried - always pastured eggs)
1 cup of veggies (usually spinach, peppers, onions, or mushrooms - if I'm not eating veggies via an egg bake, then I just eat power greens dressed with olive oil and lemon juice)
1/4 to 1/2 avocado with olive oil and salt and pepper
Sometimes will have a bit of fruit, like a couple strawberries or half a green apple (I'm generally not a big fruit person)

Typical lunches

1 cup of chicken salad (slow-cooked organic chicken thighs marinated in olive oil, balsamic, and lemon juice with chopped celery and onion)
Butter lettuce wraps (about 8 "leaves" of lettuce) and celery and carrot sticks
1/4 to 1/2 avocado

Two Applegate Farms compliant chicken sausages
One green pepper and 1/2 onion, sautéed in olive oil
1 cup power greens with 1/4 to 1/2 avocado dressed with olive oil, orange juice (squeezed myself) and apple cider vinegar

Typical dinners

1/2 pound meatballs (grass-fed ground beef, an egg and some almond flour, pan seared in olive oil)
1 cup homemade marinara sauce with tomatoes and carrots
One whole zucchini (spiralized), sautéed in olive oil
*This is the meatballs and zoodles recipe on the Whole30 website)

1/2 pound hake brushed with basil pesto (made with olive oil, melted ghee, and basil), pan seared in olive oil
One head of broccoli, roasted with olive oil and garlic
Riced cauliflower cooked in about 1/4 cup homemade beef bone broth

I’m pretty liberal with olive oil and other fats when I’m cooking – I usually use about two tablespoons when roasting vegetables and one to two tablespoons when marinating and cooking meat.

Typical snacks

Epic pork jerky bar
Green apple or banana with mini packet of almond butter (I know this isn’t ideal)
A small handful of almonds (again, I know this isn’t ideal)
Slices of prosciutto or compliant roast beef with carrot sticks and celery

Water consumption

2 cups (about 16 ounces) of green tea or coffee in the morning
About 36 ounces while at work
Can of La Croix for lunch
16 ounces at night when at home

Meal timing

I wake up around 7:30. I eat breakfast either at home around 8:00 or when I get to work at 9:30. I usually eat lunch 4 hours after my breakfast (so noon or 1:30 depending on when I ate). I usually eat a snack around 5:00 because I work out right after work. I eat dinner around 7:30 or 8:00 and have a cup of non-caffeinated tea before bed at 10:00. I’m usually in bed by 10:30 or 11:00. The only time I really feel hungry is at the end of the work day just before I work out.

Exercise

I work out 4-5 times per week for 30 minutes. I either run at a 9:30-10:00/mile pace or do calisthenics circuits. Before starting the Whole30, I wasn’t working out regularly, so this workout routine is new as of 18 days ago. I was previously very active, so this type of exercise does not feel overly strenuous to me (aside from the pains of starting up again J)

Water consumption

2 cups of green tea or coffee in the morning
About 36 ounces while at work
Can of La Croix with lunch
16 ounces at night when at home
1 cup of non-caffeinated tea before bed

And thanks for the optimism @fitzgeraldm92 ! I think yesterday just knocked me down a bit, and the fact that I haven't felt a HUGE difference since starting the Whole30 is a little frustrating. I should mention that I definitely feels slimmer and less bloated in the stomach region, but I was hoping for more positive effects on my sleep (which has always been bad).

EDITED: For reference, I'm 5'5'' and about 135 pounds (it may be helpful in evaluating portion sizes).

You guys we are on Day 22!!!! The final stretch! How is everyone doing? I have FINALLY hit tiger blood and I'm feeling awesome! I have been doing too much snacking and ate too much fruit and nuts over the weekend, so I'm trying to really buckle down for the last 9 days. 

Yep, we are in the home stretch!   I had events all weekend and was barely tempted by the food that would have been off plan, but like Fitzgeraldm92 ate too much fruit, but everything was compliant, so it is all good! Made a great hamburger with onions and mushrooms last night!

Archived