Kids had issues after day 1 of Reintroduction - need advice please!

mbrinva

So, we just re-introduced non-gluten grains to our 3 kids (ages 8-13) on day 27 of the Whole 30 (I needed to start reintroduction a few days early due to a trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house next week).  My 2 girls both had negative affects - my son was fine.

Here is what I gave them yesterday (the same for all 3):

• meal 1: non-gluten waffles (later discovered it had soy lecithin)
  • meal 2: gluten-free pretzels (later discovered it had soy lecithin)
  • meal 3: gluten-free pasta (brown rice-based)

My oldest daughter felt nauseous after eating meal 2 yesterday.  My youngest daughter said her stomach hurt this morning (before breakfast).  

I had planned to give them legumes tomorrow (because I really need to get further down the reintroduction path before the trip so I was going to do an every other day reintro schedule), but now I am stumped.  Should I do gluten-free grains again but this time make sure there are no soy ingredients?  

Also, am I really tampering with our results if I don't wait the prescribed 2 clean days inbetween reintro days?  I am very worried they won't be successful at trying to eat cleanly at Grandma and Grandpa's or else I wouldn't even be pushing the envelope by asking the question.  

Thank you for your help!

• Moderators

Unless they are really sensitive to soy, it's more likely their reactions are due to the non-gluten grains, although we can't say 100% for certain.

Ideally you wait at least two days, or longer if it takes longer for reactions to clear up. It's up to you whether you choose to follow that or not. The idea is to be sure that there's no overlapping reactions, like if you still had a bit of digestive trouble from one item, and then reintroduced the next, it might be hard to know if anything you felt after that was still from the first item or something new from the new item.

So, we reintroduced gluten grains yesterday and both of my girls were so emotional.  My  8 year old had her first major eruption in weeks & didn't sleep as well.  My 13yo was also very volatile.  It was very enlightening.  I did a little research and learned that gluten sensitivity can have emotional symptoms as well.   Just curious if other Whole30ers have witnessed this as well?

1 hour ago, mbrinva said:

Just curious if other Whole30ers have witnessed this as well?

Apathy is a very common side effect of gluten. Kids will understandably display their emotions a little differently from adults though...

Archived