• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Alaska Woman said:

Day 3 and ready to start using bone soup I started yesterday. Should I skim the fat from it first (there's a lot) and how does the soup fit in with overall meal planning if I just want to sip some for health reasons and if I use it in a recipe?

You can skim the fat if you're not interested in eating it... if it's from well raised meat, then the fat is okay to eat or save for cooking.  If it's conventionally raised animal, skim and toss the fat.

It doesn't really fit in anywhere with the meal template... it's more like tea/coffee

I personally skim most of the fat from my bone broth once it has cooled and hardened. My bones are usually well sourced, so I use the fat for other cooking uses, like roasting veggies in. But it's totally a personal choice. I just don't really care for the mouthfuls of hot fat - and I'm a fat lover! But it's just not my thing in bone broth. 

You can drink as much bone broth as you like. You will be getting lots of minerals and the amino acids missing in our modern day diet. It adds to your nutrition and doesn't replace anything, so consider it over and above the template meals you eat. 

I first make the bone broth, then I pour it in to small (8-12 oz) mason jars without shoulders, and refrigerate overnight.

As it cools, most of rendered fat will rise to the top and solidify, like a disk.   I then remove the disk of fat with a table knife.   If I use ordinary grocery store bones, I throw it out.   Sometimes the fat from these mass-market meats doesnt even solidify, which disturbs me.

Meat from the farmstand, I put the disk of fat in to a "snack size" ziploc type bag. The bags I use hold about a cup.   These bags l are not freezer safe, so I stuff the little bags in to a quart size ziploc freezer bag (pic attached) and store in the freezer.    

I then use the disks of fat in place of cooking oil.  I'll break the disk in half if i don't need to use all of it.   (Pic attached) They add an amazing flavor to a meat sauce or meaty entrée!   Plus using the tallow also offers a bit of a break from "coconut overload" of paleo cooking.  

Once the broth has cooled, I'll keep a few jars in the fridge and freeze the rest.   If you freeze the broth in a jar, do NOT use a jar with shoulders or any shape that curves inwards towards the center of the jar.   This shape can easily break as the broth freezes and expands.   The jar must be straight up and down, or angle outwards from the center of the jar.

I like the small jars because I prefer to freeze as much as I can, but still reach for broth whenever I need it -- adding some to sauce, braising liquids for meats, livening up reheated leftovers. The small jars only need a minute or two in the microwave to defrost.

I absolutely love the gelée created by homemade bone broth and nosh on the gelée as a pre-dinner snack when my BF is late getting home.   I've also enjoyed it as part of my breakfast.  If you like it too, and want to make the gelée from frozen gelatinous broth, it will need to be reheated.   Bring the broth to a boil, then remove from heat.   Pour in to a clean jar and refrigerate overnight, it should gel back up nicely.

20170408_123154.jpg

20170408_123233.jpg

Archived