Starting 2 weeks from today, April 17

Nancy Kny

Hi! My name is Nancy and I am beginning the Whole30 on Monday, April 17.  We have a family trip planned for Easter and it will be sounder if I wait until that is behind me to start my 30.  But, I am prepping for it already.  Today I did my first shopping trip armed with my Can Have list.  Made a dijon mustard purchase error (it has sulfates) but I will rectify that next trip out.  I am beginning a walking routine, similar to one I've done before.  I'm excited to try new recipes and develop a healthy relationship with food.  I have terrible digestion issues, bathroom struggles (TMI?) and for the last 3 months have had some pretty significant skin rashes and problems.  I firmly believe realigning my eating habits with the life I want to live is exactly what I need to be doing FOR ME right now!  Looking forward to support from those who've already gotten started! 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amy and Karen -

Can't wait to have real live support of others going through the same daily challenges!  Just prepping now and introducing lots of the food to my system now.  Trying hard to cut out all sugar and carbs now, so it's not a complete shock on April 17th.  Good luck getting ready!

Hello everyone!

I will be starting my Whole30 on April 18th and looking forward to drinking Kambucha out of a wine glass - haha!

Wishing All of us much strength and patience to get through the whole 30 days and rip the most benefits!

Hi there,

I'm also starting out on the 17th.  It will be my first time trying Whole30.  I figured after Easter weekend, which also happens to include my birthday would be best.  After all the food this weekend, I think the first week of Whole30 is going to be rough for me doing it solo in a house of 4.  Hopefully we can all find support enough to make it through on here!

I'm starting on the 17th as well.  I know that Easter will be tough and just want to get started already... LOL  I've done a couple of clean eating challenages so prepping is not going to be so bad.  It's the restrictions on foods that are going to be tough but totally worth it.  Good luck to us all!

Hi everyone, I'd like to join you as well. Also decided to start on April 17. My second time (first time was almost 2 years ago). Although I've stayed on Whole30 about 90% of the time because it's such a great lifestyle change, I need to officially go back on it to avoid the 10% cheating. We can do this!!!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, balancedbrunette said:

I'm also planning on starting the day after Easter! This will be my 2nd.  I'd love to hear some ideas for (work-friendly) lunches. 

Leftovers are easy, just be sure you cook enough for dinner the night before to have something to take with you the next day. You might like some of these ideas as well: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

Hi Everyone! I'd love to join you in starting the W30 tomorrow. I'm a little nervous because I haven't prepared much yet in the way of my meals and stocking up at the store yet. Hoping to get some prep done today, at least in the way of meal planning a few things, since I suspect most stores are closed today. I've been feeling lately like my weight and bad eating habits are getting out of control. Looking forward to breaking the cycle I'm in and having a healthier relationship with food. 

I'm in too! Went food shopping yesterday so I have enough to last the week and am planning on having acceptable left overs from Easter tomorrow for lunch. I tried to do the W30 last year but came down with the flu on day 2 which was a bummer but it's been a nagging thought to start it up again. My sister is a big fan and I've seen her results in her skin and energy levels. I want the same as well as better digestion and better sleep. I'm a bit nervous that I'll have the willpower to stick it out but I know I can get very stubborn. Best of luck to you all tomorrow! 

I am starting on the 17 too. I have not been able to slay the Sugar Dragon. It has caused a lot of problems in my life. Increased my allergies, I now have eczema worse than I ever have before, high blood pressure, high cholesterol , stomach aches and nausea because I'm eating food that makes me sick, and heavier than I have ever been in my life. And now it appears that I have sleep apnea which of course being as heavy as I am does not help. It is time to get on track and stop messing around. I have done one successful Whole 30. I have also had many false starts. This time I am going to make it through. I have a lot of food  allergies which include garlic, onions, all peppers, tomatoes, & citrus. I am signing up for the daily's because it really helps keep me on track when I see that in my email every morning. My goals this time we're going to simple:

1. No eating breakfast out; NO fast food restaurants. 
  2. No reading books, my phone, or watching TV while I'm eating.
  3. Get my food prepped the night before and getting in the weekly preps 
  4. Clean the kitchen after every food prep/meal. 
  5. And get some type of exercise and or stretching done every day

very excited to be on this journey with you all. 

1 hour ago, EJSmadhatter said:

1 hour ago, EJSmadhatter said:

I have not been able to slay the Sugar Dragon

I appreciate your mental prep as well as your food prep. I like what you didn't say. I hope this one is the best one of all for you.

A Food Reset leads to a Head Reset when it's framed like your strategy. After 3 years, olde Sugar D doesn't appeal to me like he used to. I don't care about bakery items = sugar, flour, fat.  I can stand in the candy aisle and look at all of the chocolate bars, low and high quality = a big meh.  I can squeeze the candies and walk off.

Whenever I'm at the store, I no longer desire to put any of those things in my cart. They're leaverites. I leave right there.  When I go to the restaurants, I can leave the baskets of bread and desserts there.

I don't bring my offenders home. It's as simple as that. Offenders are the foods that provoke a total food addiction relapse. 

I know what I can manage. There are foods I can eat out with others that will not stir up a full blown relapse.  But there are still foods that would cause me to slide back off the goose. The consequences = more high blood sugar and T2 are too great.  

A huge part of my recovery was not gutting out a super low calorie or very food restricted plan in an effort to lose weight quickly. Very well intentioned but doomed to be repeated with more weight gain and weight loss cycles. 

Your strategy gets an A+. I think you'll have a much better shot at getting there and staying there with less withdrawal, less mental and emotional struggle. I think you've got the bull by the horns.  gaul-smiley.gif?1292867602

3 hours ago, MeadowLily said:

I appreciate your mental prep as well as your food prep. I like what you didn't say. I hope this one is the best one of all for you.

A Food Reset leads to a Head Reset when it's framed like your strategy. After 3 years, olde Sugar D doesn't appeal to me like he used to. I don't care about bakery items = sugar, flour, fat.  I can stand in the candy aisle and look at all of the chocolate bars, low and high quality = a big meh.  I can squeeze the candies and walk off.

Whenever I'm at the store, I no longer desire to put any of those things in my cart. They're leaverites. I leave right there.  When I go to the restaurants, I can leave the baskets of bread and desserts there.

I don't bring my offenders home. It's as simple as that. Offenders are the foods that provoke a total food addiction relapse. 

I know what I can manage. There are foods I can eat out with others that will not stir up a full blown relapse.  But there are still foods that would cause me to slide back off the goose. The consequences = more high blood sugar and T2 are too great.  

A huge part of my recovery was not gutting out a super low calorie or very food restricted plan in an effort to lose weight quickly. Very well intentioned but doomed to be repeated with more weight gain and weight loss cycles. 

Your strategy gets an A+. I think you'll have a much better shot at getting there and staying there with less withdrawal, less mental and emotional struggle. I think you've got the bull by the horns.  gaul-smiley.gif?1292867602

Thanks so much. 

Starting tomorrow for round 5 or 6 or 7.  I've lost count to be honest.  In previous rounds, I did it to jump start my weight loss and to get my energy up.  This round my goal is to get a handle on my skin allergies (eczema and hives).  Best of luck everyone!

Started again yesterday.  Have done lots of W30's.  This year, I have been mostly W30 with a few weeks off in Feb and 2 days off in April.  For those of you new to this lifestyle, be careful with fruit, nuts, nut butters, larabars and rx bars.  I never used larabars but once I found the rx bars in my local supermarket, they became a problem for me. 

A lot of people get overwhelmed with all the cooking and cleaning.  It really does not need to be time consuming.  You do not need to follow recipes.  I never did.  Just pick a protein, veggie and fat.  Ask questions, read different areas of the forum and connect with others sharing this journey.

@CCLaymon and @MeadowLily are my friends from previous W30s.  They both have lots of great experience and knowledge.

4 hours ago, DeeJaeNik said:

Starting tomorrow for round 5 or 6 or 7.  I've lost count to be honest.  In previous rounds, I did it to jump start my weight loss and to get my energy up.  This round my goal is to get a handle on my skin allergies (eczema and hives).  Best of luck everyone!

I have had crazy skin rashes for a  month or more now.  I've been to the derm 3 times and have an allergist appt next Monday.  I am hopeful W30 helps me to improve the health of my skin.  Wouldn't mind a little weight loss too, but I thin the NSV's are going to be what makes me very happy~

3 hours ago, Laurie said:

Started again yesterday.  Have done lots of W30's.  This year, I have been mostly W30 with a few weeks off in Feb and 2 days off in April.  For those of you new to this lifestyle, be careful with fruit, nuts, nut butters, larabars and rx bars.  I never used larabars but once I found the rx bars in my local supermarket, they became a problem for me. 

A lot of people get overwhelmed with all the cooking and cleaning.  It really does not need to be time consuming.  You do not need to follow recipes.  I never did.  Just pick a protein, veggie and fat.  Ask questions, read different areas of the forum and connect with others sharing this journey.

@CCLaymon and @MeadowLily are my friends from previous W30s.  They both have lots of great experience and knowledge.

Thanks so much

I am starting my first W30 today. I'm excited, especially because I talked my husband and sister into doing it with me. I am hoping they will stick to it because I think it will be easier to not have to do it alone, but I am determined to do so if I need to.

I had a baby last summer and it was a pretty complicated pregnancy (put on bedrest with preeclampsia at week 26) and because of that I ended up gaining a lot more weight than was healthy. My husband and I want to have another baby in the near future so our kids are close together in age but after having so many problems last time around I want to make sure not to get pregnant until I get healthy again. I am really hoping the strict rules of this program are exactly what I need to stop coming up with excuses and get back to who I used to be (or better). Good luck everyone! Hold me accountable and lets do this together :)

Archived