Starting 2 weeks from today, April 17

Nancy Kny

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hitch your wagon to a reintro process when you're done. Day 31 is optimum. It's the way to raise the bar for yourself, not returning to old ways of eating that no longer serve you.

You only need 30 meticulous days for diagnostic testing. Without that thoughtful Reintro process, priming the mind for real change...the ground grows colder every day.The ability to think through your food choices going waaay into the future can slip right through your fingers. 

The Reintro Process is the most important part of a Whole 30. 

Hope everyones day is going great. I was not able to fully prepare because I had a sleep study and worked all weekend. I got somethings prepped though. I am starting tomorrow. My job this afternoon cancelled so I am going to do a really big prep today. I am going to cook big turkey breast to portion out an freeze, a chicken which I will debone, some ground turkey, beef, and lamb as well. I need to re-gothrough my fridge & cupboards to move or get rid of things. Already prepped coconut shrimp from realplans.com and made turkey sausage patties. By the way when you are prepping raw meat and putting it in the freezer make sure it won't fall out when you open it. Did that last night and got some of meat smeared on my night gown. oppps

Here is my recipe for the turkey sausages I love them. You can add garlic or onions to them if you want too. 

Turkey Breakfast Sausage

1 pound ground turkey

1 teaspoon dried sage

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

kosher salt and black pepper 

1 tablespoon fat oil

Combine the turkey, sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and form into eight 2½-inch patties. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, EJSmadhatter said:

Hope everyones day is going great. I was not able to fully prepare because I had a sleep study and worked all weekend. I got somethings prepped though. I am starting tomorrow. My job this afternoon cancelled so I am going to do a really big prep today. I am going to cook big turkey breast to portion out an freeze, a chicken which I will debone, some ground turkey, beef, and lamb as well. I need to re-gothrough my fridge & cupboards to move or get rid of things. Already prepped coconut shrimp from realplans.com and made turkey sausage patties. By the way when you are prepping raw meat and putting it in the freezer make sure it won't fall out when you open it. Did that last night and got some of meat smeared on my night gown. oppps

Here is my recipe for the turkey sausages I love them. You can add garlic or onions to them if you want too. 

Turkey Breakfast Sausage

1 pound ground turkey

1 teaspoon dried sage

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

kosher salt and black pepper 

1 tablespoon fat oil

Combine the turkey sage, thyme, salt, and pepper and form into eight 2½-inch patties. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once, until cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. 

Um... Maple Syrup is absolutely not compliant, making your recipe as written a no go.  I"m assuming that the maple syrup part was missed in the edit?  I'm going to remove the mention so as not to confuse people.

I know we are still at the VERY BEGINNING -- but so far, so great!  I had a good Day 1, my hubby is eating like me, just adding creamer to  his coffee (he knows he can't be 100% compliant) and Day 2 will be excellent!  Have a good one, all you Day Two-ers!

11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Um... Maple Syrup is absolutely not compliant, making your recipe as written a no go.  I"m assuming that the maple syrup part was missed in the edit?  I'm going to remove the mention so as not to confuse people.

Sorry thought I omitted that before I posted. I never use it. Will edit & take it out. Now. Thanks for pointing it out 

11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Thanks yes that it right. Actually never had made it with the maple syrup 

So today is my day 1. Huge win today is I didn't have any thoughts of going to fast food this morning which is usually my downfall. I got up and reviewed how to make some ghee because the last time I burnt it twice. That was expensive. Todays worked out pretty well. A little darker than I usually like it but it is good. I hope everyones first day went well. I am going to post what I eat here every day. That helps me be accountable. I also love recipes so if anyone has some great ones they like please share. Just be careful of copyright rights. I know there is a reference on whole 30 about it but I can't seem to fine it now. I will continue to look for it but if anyone finds it let me know. I did find this which I am going to look at more. http://forum.whole30.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, EJSmadhatter said:

Just be careful of copyright rights. I know there is a reference on whole 30 about it but I can't seem to fine it now. I will continue to look for it but if anyone finds it let me know. I did find this which I am going to look at more. http://forum.whole30.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

If it's online and anyone can get to it, just link to it. If you made it up yourself, you're welcome to post it.

If it's in a book or on a paid website that only someone who has paid can access, don't post it. (Basically, people who write cookbooks or who offer things to paying customers are making their living from those cookbooks and paid resources, and it would be kinda rude to take away their source of income by giving away their stuff for free without their permission.)

One of my favorite recipe sources is the Well Fed cookbooks -- the author has posted many of her recipes online here as well. 

Day 1 was a success!

Had scrambled eggs with salsa for breakfast, a salad for lunch (leftover grilled chicken, home grown lettuce, tomato, avocado, walnuts, leftover grilled radishes, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers and a basil infused balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing). My hubby grilled tritip, asparagus and potatoes for dinner, with enough leftover to go into today's meals.

I successfully avoided all of the leftover Easter candy in my office break-room and was able to drink my coffee only with coconut milk. The hardest part for both my husband and I was not having dessert last night. We are so used to doing that every night that it felt so strange not sitting down with some ice cream or a piece of chocolate after dinner. But we did it and I am so proud of us - especially my hubby. I think his Sugar Dragon is more fierce than mine so we will see how "The Hangover" days go...

30 minutes ago, EJSmadhatter said:

So today is my day 1. Huge win today is I didn't have any thoughts of going to fast food this morning which is usually my downfall. I got up and reviewed how to make some ghee because the last time I burnt it twice. That was expensive. Todays worked out pretty well. A little darker than I usually like it but it is good. I hope everyones first day went well. I am going to post what I eat here every day. That helps me be accountable. I also love recipes so if anyone has some great ones they like please share. Just be careful of copyright rights. I know there is a reference on whole 30 about it but I can't seem to fine it now. I will continue to look for it but if anyone finds it let me know. I did find this which I am going to look at more. http://forum.whole30.com/forum/25-recipe-sharing/

I am going to post my food every day here too. I look forward to seeing what you are eating to get inspired when I start to get bored and need new food ideas :)

Hello everyone, 

I also started the whole 30 yesterday, its great to see there's a group out there I can connect with. Yesterday went well, I ate pretty basic protein+fat+veggies and a little fruit with breakfast. Relied a little too heavy on cashews last night as I was cooking a late dinner, but you gotta start somewhere! Today I am doing some meal prepping because I have more time this morning. I'm going to try the "shepherds pie" recipe  in the whole 30 and am planning on doubling it to have lots of leftovers.  Also a huge casserole dish fritada (wish the Easter ham leftovers were complaint). On the days I have time to cook,  I will always cook extra and rely on leftovers for a lot of my meals when I'm busy because I have an irregular schedule. 

I'm going to take a "wait and see approach" and do the 30 days and decide if I need to go longer like 45-60 days to add foods back in. 

I'm really hoping to accomplish a few things:

1. Clear up my acne/redness in my skin ( I'm 31......go away acne!)                                                                                                                                                                                                       2. Figure out what foods make me feel unwell so I can no longer be "blissfully ignorant" to the food choices I make                                                                                                                 3. Decrease/Eliminate joint pain I have in my neck that was caused by a car accident a few years ago. I've done a lot of therapy, but if I get out of an inflammatory state maybe my pain can decrease.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      4. Feel less bloated and gross so I can wear my jeans and slacks instead of just all my stretch yoga pants and leggings.                                                                                                           5. Burn fat as fuel, and work on my leptin resistance so I don't go down the same track of diabetes and obesity like my family.                                                                                           6. And yes, its would be really awesome to lose some weight and inches and work towards a healthy weight for my height and body type. I probably have have 30lbs to go.

Thanks everyone for being here, can't wait to hear your ideas, tips, and do this together. Lets go day 2!

I had an easy Day 1 - that's always the easiest day for me, because I'm so committed! Days 3-5 can be tough.

I like to reference the Whole 30 Timeline which has always been pretty accurate for me, except I've never had "the Hangover." 
I don't know why, but I feel blessed to skip that step!

A surprising side benefit of Whole30 for me was that I used get an itchy skin condition on my hands every summer. Once I started Whole30, it has completely resolved. (When I'm on plan!)  I'm wishing everyone success on addressing their various skin issues, too!

Whole 30 Friends, Romans, Countrymen lend me your ears.

I've conducted one compliant Whole30 with a Slow Roll Reintro, three years ago. I am convinced now more than ever when you finish your 30 days, move right into a reintro phase on Day 31.

As it says in ISWF and FFF, a Whole 30 Forever is not recommended.

That's actually almost impossible. One non-compliant item, and it only takes one - that Whole 30 is over. You are at that very moment doing your own plan, offroading or Riding Your Own Bike.

The Reintro process flips the switch. Not only do you need diagnositic testing for food sensitivities but you need to flip the switch so you can actually create a sustainable way of eating and thinking for the rest of your life.

Without a Reintro you are at loose ends within your thinking, maybe even believing that you can follow the Whole 30 rules and stay compliant for the rest of your life.

When you fall back into old ways of eating, there's beating yourself UP and angst and starting over and over and over again.

Be brave and follow through from beginning to end with a Reintro. The Whole 30 is the launching pad and the springboard into your positive food management plan that will work for you come hail or high water....for the rest of your life. 

It is the way to change your relationship with food.  

I'm leaving you to it now. ballerina crazy rabbit

A Whole 30 is like the dating phase.  The Reintro is getting married.  Creating your own positive food management plan comes after the Honeymoon Phase....there will be UP and down days, multi-crap hits the fan days and smooth sailing days. Just like a real marriage with kids and a Happy Family kind of lifestyle. Everything comes full circle. It will be filled with surprises, nitwittery and whopping boatloads of fun.

It's all fun.  Really.

• Moderators
On April 16, 2017 at 6:54 PM, CCLaymon said:

Hello Ladies, I'd like to join you tomorrow! My last Whole30 lasted about 4 months, and I've been off for a couple of weeks. I'm so much happier when I'm on the plan, so I'm jumping back on the horse tomorrow. @MeadowLily so good to see you here!

Did you do re-introductions when you were 'off for a couple of weeks'?  Doing just the 30 days for an extended period of time and then not doing intros is not doing you any favors and you're actually missing a whole part of the Whole30 plan that is meant to build on what you learn on a Whole30... You could do re-intros, realize that sugar in ketchup and a dash of cream in coffee is fine and then make your own WholeCCLaymom plan which means you never have to go back and forth again... Doing multiple months-long Whole30 with breaks in between is not really the ideal way of going about getting your Food Freedom. 

I've never really done this whole forum thing, so I am sorry in advance if I am doing it all wrong! I am now on Day 3 with all of you and let me tell you last night was sooo hard for me... I am the only one in my house that is doing the Whole30 and my boyfriend and roommate are both heavy junk eaters! They made pizza last night while I was eating my zucchini noodles and shrimp:(  My mouth was literally salivating and I grew super grumpy! Even when I am in the kitchen I get sad because I cant have any milk and peanut butter, which was my go-to after my gym sessions...

How is everyone else dealing with these cravings and emotions!? :unsure:

Archived