Is It Ok Not to Do the Reintroduction

Nlstir

hello! I am on day 30 of my very first Whole30. I FEEL AMAZING. I have been doing a lot of thought about the reintroduction. I was always set on doing it, but after reading a few things the past week I am thinking about skipping it. The biggest reason: I am not craving any foods that I feel need to be reintroduced. For example, in reading through the reintroduction plans I've read through, I don't miss any of the foods being named. And I am a little skeptical about bringing all of those things back in when I am fine without them. And even more so, while I do enjoy cheese from time to time, I don't eat it regularly. Secondly, in my Whole30 daily today it talks about how if you're feeling really good and don't miss any bad foods, it's up to you whether or no you want to reintroduce. It says " Many folks handle this situation intuitively—they stay on the Whole30 until something so delicious (and so worth it) crosses their path, they decide to come off for that one special item. (We like this approach.) " and this makes A LOT of sense to me. For example, I can picture maybe a couple days from now deciding to try some cheese and seeing how it goes but continuing to stay Whole30. I ate paleo before doing whole30 so I am not really afraid of resorting back to unhealthy foods as part of my daily intake.

I guess I am just wondering if some of you Whole30 experts could advise whether this plan I have discussed above would somehow undo what I've done the past 30 days and if skipping the reintro is just a plain bad plan.

thanks! :)

Without any kind of a Reintro Phase, it's basically turning the W30 into another 30 day diet. 

Everyone feels amazing on Day 30.  If I had a ruby for every Day 31 Without a Reintro Plan member who used Day 31 for a food fest celebration, never to be heard from again, I would be swimming in rubies up to my eyeballs.

Without a reintro, what is the purpose for being so meticulously compliant for 30 days?

The Whole 30 is an elimination protocol following by diagnostic testing - the Reintro.  Without those results, it  can all fall back into the same old habits within the blink of an eye.  The positive results can come undone in 2 weeks.   

The Reintro is the best part of a Whole 30.  It only takes one authentically compliant Whole 30 of 30 days to complete one.   Without it, it's just another crapshoot in the dark what's going to trip all of your triggers and end back up at square one.  

With every passing Whole 30 that goes by without a Reintro, the ground grows colder that diagnostic testing is the emphasis and main attraction.  It then becomes about weight loss and secret dieting.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the purpose of the reintro period but like Nlstir I don't really want to do it.  R2 done on Monday. My first time through, I timed it wrong and was on a plane to the Bahamas on day 31...needless to say, no re-introductory period. This time I planned day 31 landing 10+ days prior to vacation. I eat relatively W30 most of the time anyway, so other than wine and not being so strict with the labels I don't really have any desire to introduce anything specific. I figured I would just introduce as the urge hit, for example if I wanted to eat chips and guac or huevos rancheros in Cancun then I will, but I don't want to force myself to re-introduce stuff I don't really miss just to be compliant with the re-introductory phase.

I don't want to miss out on finding out things that mess with my body, in other words, I don't want this W30 to be for nothing like the last one was, but why eat the stuff if I don't miss it? Other than some regularity issues (that have cleared up) and sleeping issues (which haven't), I don't have any major health issues that I was doing the W30 for. In this situation, what types of things would you recommend me introducing...I just don't eat grains, dairy, pasta, etc. (occasionally when eating out only) so it would be 100% out of character for me to start cooking with this stuff next Tuesday...I don't even keep the stuff in my house. Any suggestions on a reintro for this type of situation would be appreciated.

• Administrators

You would want to reintroduce the things that you think you might want to eat. If you were celiac, for instance, and never intended to allow gluten to cross your lips, you wouldn't reintroduce it. If you already know dairy is problematic and you won't ever eat it, skip the reintro. But if you think you might want ice cream and you think you're probably alright with it......well that's something to test because you don't actually know until you try it with this perfectly clean slate you have. 

Archived