Morning nausea and breakfast

I know breakfast has been discussed to death on the forum, but I have to ask in a specific context if anyone has any ideas.

Pretty much all my adult life I have experienced morning nausea (no I am not pregnant is my mantra).  It seems to be tied to dehydration- although I drink around 60oz of water per day which is sufficient for my body weight and I drink water first thing when I wake up, before coffee or anything else.  It may be related to medication, can't say for sure and can't really test that.  The result is I have no appetite in the morning and food grosses me out.  My first whole 30 I did a lot of eggs for breakfast but I got burnt out by week 3 and now I can't even look at eggs.  Then I tried doing a template meal- veg, meat, fat- and that sometimes works but most of the time makes me gag or worse and I can't get it down.  I know I need to eat in the morning- not just because of the rules but for my body's best health, but I just can't seem to find anything appetizing in that first hour.  Has anyone else dealt with morning sickness/ extreme food aversion in the morning?  Any thoughts on gentle compliant breakfast ideas without eggs?  Thanks in advance.

I have really struggled with this too.  For me strangely enough either tuna or chicken salad seemed to be easiest. I do typically make them using mayo and apples or grapes and sometimes celery or nuts for crunch.  I have also had some luck with different versions of coleslaw with either chicken apple sausage or compliant hotdogs.  I'm not sure if its because its cold or each have a sweet element. ( I also often put a small amount of fruit into my slaws, pineapple or mango usually). I sometimes put the protein salad on top of spinach or other baby greens. I just had to keep experimenting until I found something I could stomach.  I also had to get past my own hang-ups about what should be breakfast food. Once I quit judging myself it got easier and I found I could eat more variety easier.

Again this is just my story about it.... but I can sympathize. I hate eating when I don't "feel" like it no matter what the reason

• Moderators

How about a loaded soup?  You could eat some spoonfuls of just the broth (or blended part on a blended soup) and that should 'prime' your system to eat the rest of it... load it down with veggies (cooked, soft veggies go down pretty easy) and finely chopped or shredded chicken... 

Maybe if you don't want to eat soup for the actual meal you could have a cup of bone broth or something to get your digestion ramped up?

I was thinking about switching to bone broth instead of coffee in the morning (saving my coffee for when I get to work).  I have a horrible cold and have been drinking lots of broth and it's very soothing.  

I have done butternut squash soup for breakfast before with success but didn't know how to get protein in there.  Honestly I kind of hate chicken, although I still force it down a few meals a week because a girl can only eat so much beef and fish (I mostly avoid pork- Jewish).

Any recipes for protein salads that don't use mayo?  I was a Miracle Whip baby my whole life until whole30 and mayo is just gross to me.  I do really miss tuna salad though.

• Moderators

Try mixing avocado into the protein salad instead of mayo?  Or part mayo, part avo?  Try making your mayo much limier or lemonier or vinegarier (totes a word!)?

I honestly can't think of a way to do protein in a blended soup that isn't either chicken or egg... what if you scrambled egg in a bowl and then stirred it into the soup while it was heating?  It should either make a thicker soup or turn to a gloopy mess... hard to say ;)

• Moderators

Sometimes I do a butternut squash soup, and I'll just dice or crumble whatever protein I have and mix it in. Hot dogs, chicken apple sausage, breakfast sausage, burger patties, leftover chicken, even roast beef. 

For protein salads, you can use avocado instead of mayo. Have you tried homemade mayo? It's not Miracle Whip, for sure, but it's not the same as store bought, and you can play with seasonings and using different oils and vinegars. There are some paleo copycat recipes for Miracle Whip, the problem is that it's sweeter than regular mayo, so many of them have sweeteners in them. You might try making up for that lack of sweetness in your mayo by adding some fruit to your protein salad and see if that helps, or you could try subbing a date instead of whatever sweeteners they call for.

I'd also say that even if 60 oz is sufficient water for your body weight, if you think you're dehydrated, it wouldn't hurt to try to drink a little more. Maybe one of your meds is causing some dehydration that means you need more than the typical amount of water. 

All good suggestions, thank you.  I have had Korean soup in restaurants which has a spicy broth then they drop a raw egg into it- the yoke stays soft but the white cooks and it's yummy, maybe I can figure out a way to recreate something similar.  I find that spicy foods are easier to handle when I'm nauseous.

I tried making mayo once and it was a total fail, so I bought the Primal mayo instead and thought it was disgusting.  Maybe I'll try making it again on the weekend.  I'll also try upping my morning water intake.  

• 3 weeks later...

I made mayo my last W30 round and threw it away, the whole idea just... creeped me out for some reason, maybe because it was so thick, the texture weirded me out I tasted it once and that was it.  Why does all store mayo have sugar in it!?

I'm currently on day 4 of round 2 (a year after my first round)... I've been protein averse in the morning for a very long time now, or not hungry for really anything until about 10AM, and it's bugging me.  The idea of eating protein doesn't quite turn my stomach, but lessens my appetite the more I think about it.  It's also coming into summer, and soup doesn't sound appetizing at all.  Currently for breakfast, one day I had chicken apple sausage with mustard, some strawberries, and some pistachios, but the other mornings I've made a protein and it's the one thing in my my meal I cannot eat.  My breakfasts pre-W30 have been oatmeal, cereal & almond milk, or just an apple & pb.  I DO drink coffee w homemade almond milk and coconut, and I drink it for the taste as well as the caffeine... I don't want to say "should I drop it?" but... should I drop it?

• Administrators

Hi @Kwagg - no, I don't think you should drop it, it sounds like you're motivated to make a change ("it's bugging me") and you are probably just on the cusp of "getting there".

First, make sure you (and you, @Georgina2) are not drinking your coffee before you've eaten your full meal. Coffee is an appetite suppressant and neither one of you need that right now. 

Second, it sounds like your breakfasts previously were very carb heavy. The fact you can eat that but not protein points to you dealing with a hormonal imbalance still. Are you trying to get your meal in within one hour of waking? If I were you I think I'd go back to what we recommend to people at the beginning. Make a template meal and eat from each portion of the plate (protein, veggies and fat) as evenly as you can and then take the remainder with you to eat again as soon as you are able. My guess is you're eating your veggies/fruit and fat and then because you're not really hungry anymore, the protein isn't as appealing. Try to eat more evenly and see if that helps. Make proteins that are sort of "hidden" rather than a big hunk of meat on a plate. If you likechicken salad, make that and put it over half a sweet potato or some roasted squash. Do you like salmon? Try the Well Fed salmon cakes. Or the nomnompaleo tuna cakes. Can you try mini egg quiches? How about the well fed spinach .  This instagram has lots of ideas for "cold-plate" breakfasts that aren't protein focussed but do meet the template.

I might try and make some egg muffins, I haven't in quite awhile but I used to make them constantly and loved them, but I got off eggs, I think I overdid it for a bit.  Yesterday I put a piece of chicken-apple sausage in my mouth, and then spit it out, my throat closed up.  I'm pretty good about eating my proteins first since I know that will fill me up more, but I'm definitely not eating an hour within waking, I'm not a morning person, my time before work is a whirlwind, and I'm just not hungry: food does not sound good to me, regardless of what it is.  I wake up, get ready, go to work and get my coffee there, and sometime between 9-10 I get a little hungry.  I'll try to change it up but the thought kind of depresses me, lol... I guess it's a habit I just need to break! 

• Administrators

Right...........so therein, mostly, lies your problem. Sorry...........your aversion to breakfast is most likely a hormonal issue and THE way to correct that is eating within an hour of waking. 

Withhold the coffee too. Until you've eaten. :) 

I've stopped drinking coffee until I get to work and I've also transitioned to getting up about 2 hours before I leave so I have lots of time for a slow morning routine, so my first coffee is usually 3-4 hours after wake up.  I've also switched to black coffee, I couldn't take the fat from coconut cream any more it made me nauseous.

For morning protein, I find that either something cold (salami, prosciutto) or something spicy (Melissa's spicy ground turkey, chili) suppress my gag reflex.

Archived