Sugar sugar everywhere

Boy the authors are so right about needing to read ALL LABELS. I have found added sugar in places I would never have dreamed would have it: dill pickles and sauerkraut (both Claussens brand), lemon pepper seasoning, not to mention places where's there's no earthly need for it like tomato sauce. The sugar industry really has it's claws in us. I once saw a chart showing sugar consumption in the US. It was basically a low flat line for a hundred years and then in 1941 it suddenly shot up to the top of the chart. Not sure what happened at that time but it was definitely a turning point.

• Moderators

Well World War 2 started and ended in the 40's... and with that I think came the advent of processed foods... 1970 was the introduction to High Fructose Corn Syrup... 

I did read tho that at one time, Americans consumed in a YEAR the amount of sugar contained in a 12oz soda... now that amount of sugar is consumed every seven HOURS... 

Miracle Whip was created as a result of the war effort in 1933. Wartime cooks did their effort by saving eggs, and other rationed foods for the soldiers.  So Miracle Whip was created and 1 cup of sugar was added to take the place of oil.

The primary ingredients are water, soybean oil, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, modified corn starch, and dried eggs. The HFCS and corn starch are made from non-genetically modified maize.

Tang went to the moon.  To the moon, Alice.  taichi crazy rabbit

Tang contains the following ingredients: Sugar, Fructose, Citric Acid, Calcium Phosphate, Contains Less than 2% of Orange Juice Solids, Natural Flavor, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin E Acetate, Niacinamide, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Maltodextrin ...

Honey Smacks, circa 1953, contain 56% sugars, still around.  

Sugar, wheat, dextrose, honey, contains 2% or less of vegetable oil (hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated soybean), salt, caramel color, soy lecithin, BHT for freshness.

Highly engineered to be craved and finely tuned snacks.  Ayup. 

My personal favorite is  what I call Plastic Fish..Imitation Crab  but I've called it plastic fish since forever.

Alaska Pollock, Water, Egg Whites, Wheat Starch, Sugar, Corn Starch,Sorbitol, Contains 2% or Less of the Following: King Crab Meat, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Extracts of Crab, Oyster, Scallop, Lobster and Fish (Salmon, Anchovy, Bonito, Cutlassfish), Refined Fish Oil (Adds a Trivial Amount of Fat) (Anchovy, Sardine), Rice Wine (Rice, Water, Koji, Yeast, Salt), Sea Salt, Modified Tapioca Starch, Carrageenan, Yam Flour,Hydrolyzed Soy, Corn, and Wheat Proteins, Potassium Chloride,Disodium Inosinate and Guanylate, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Carmine, Paprika.

2 minutes ago, Alaska Woman said:

Yikes! I've never tried the stuff and now I'm glad I haven't.

They use it in alot of eating joints, snack crazy rabbitthe old crab salad - bait and switch.  You could use it for fish bait. 

I'm allergic to corn syrup/HFCS and it's in everything.  Happy Hunting and label reading.  

1 minute ago, MeadowLily said:

They use it in alot of eating joints, snack crazy rabbitthe old crab salad - bait and switch.  You could use it for fish bait. 

I'm allergic to corn syrup/HFCS and it's in everything.  Happy Hunting and label reading.  

Do you think the fish would take it? Animals are pretty smart. One time when we were camping the raccoons got into our backpacks and ate every single thing except the Kraft processed "cheese" slices!

34 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

Miracle Whip was created as a result of the war effort in 1933. Wartime cooks did their effort by saving eggs, and other rationed foods for the soldiers.  So Miracle Whip was created and 1 cup of sugar was added to take the place of oil.

The primary ingredients are water, soybean oil, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, modified corn starch, and dried eggs. The HFCS and corn starch are made from non-genetically modified maize.

I grew up on this stuff. My mother never used mayo. I finally switched when I got married and my husband didn't like Miracle Whip.

Just now, Alaska Woman said:

I grew up on this stuff. My mother never used mayo. I finally switched when I got married and my husband didn't like Miracle Whip.

My folkaronies still prefer it over real mayo, I grew up on that miracle whip, tang, sugar cereals and instead of lettuce...we used potato chips for the crunch on multi-crap white bread dirt sandwiches.

What a heckuva way to grow up, huh.  It's no wonder I'm dealing with what I'm dealing with.  I  forgot to mention carnation instant breakfast, chocolate syrup dumped into milk and cheese ball pick-me-ups and gummy bears for dessert. 

The more you know. 

Hi Meadow Lily,

Sound like we had a very similar food environment in our formative years.  I bet you were told to clean your plate and think about the poor starving children in China. My mom grew up during the Depression and food was something never to be wasted, so I can't really blame her but the food industry has a lot to answer for for all the **** they've been dumping on us.

I have long lived grandparents.  My great grandparents were alive when I was growing UP.

So these novelty foods were considered a real treat.  Great grandmaw said if your back itched, it meant that you were eating waaay tooo much white sugar.  She also said it was a marker for diabetes.  She said that and I've never forgotten it.  She did not eat these foods like Grandmaw did.

Grandmaw allowed the kids/grandkids to eat fake foods. My Maw followed in her footsteps.  But the buck stops here.  I'm not going out like that. Bless all of their hearts, anyway. Doggone it, I wish they were around.  

And for the starving children in China, I grew up with starving children, those who didn't have much of anything.  For real.  That includes my ancestors/grandparents. They were hunters.  They lived on wildgame and fish. The treats weren't always there and there wasn't any lunch money for school lunches.  Too many kids and not enough food.   

29 minutes ago, Alaska Woman said:

My grandmaw had a pressure cooker.  She pressure cooked potatoes every night and my mother had those with some wild meat on the side.  That was about it.  For breakfast, she had one biscuit with bacon grease, nothing else all day long.  That's how they grew up and it was slim pickin's, overrestriction and not by choice.  Grandpaw worked but was paid once a month.  The grocery money barely lasted a week and the rest of the month, it was touch and go. 

Now, I take care of my folks.  I make sure they have food on the table and they're not going without a cotton pickin' thing.  We cook one or two meals aday for them, the best food in the west.  I'm making up for lost time.  

Good food can't fix everything but it's really important.  It's experiences like this that motivate me every day to make positive changes.  Thanks for listening. 

One time, my grandpaw was so hungry, he ate a porcupine.  It was just awful, he said. :D

23 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

I have long lived grandparents.  My great grandparents were alive when I was growing UP.

So these novelty foods were considered a real treat.  Great grandmaw said if your back itched, it meant that you were eating waaay tooo much white sugar.  She also said it was a marker for diabetes.  She said that and I've never forgotten it.  She did not eat these foods like Grandmaw did.

Grandmaw allowed the kids/grandkids to eat fake foods. My Maw followed in her footsteps.  But the buck stops here.  I'm not going out like that. Bless all of their hearts, anyway. Doggone it, I wish they were around.  

And for the starving children in China, I grew up with starving children, those who didn't have much of anything.  For real.  That includes my ancestors/grandparents. They were hunters.  They lived on wildgame and fish. The treats weren't always there and there wasn't any lunch money for school lunches.  Too many kids and not enough food.   

Wow, it sounds like you've lead a challenging but fascinating life. I do envy you growing up with great grandparents. I barely knew even my grandparents as we moved to the other side of the continent when I was very young and they both died when I was in my early teens.

15 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

My grandmaw had a pressure cooker.  She pressure cooked potatoes every night and my mother had those with some wild meat on the side.  That was about it.  For breakfast, she had one biscuit with bacon grease, nothing else all day long.  That's how they grew up and it was slim pickin's, overrestriction and not by choice.  Grandpaw worked but was paid once a month.  The grocery money barely lasted a week and the rest of the month, it was touch and go. 

Now, I take care of my folks.  I make sure they have food on the table and they're not going without a cotton pickin' thing.  We cook one or two meals aday for them, the best food in the west.  I'm making up for lost time.  

Good food can't fix everything but it's really important.  It's experiences like this that motivate me every day to make positive changes.  Thanks for listening. 

One time, my grandpaw was so hungry, he ate a porcupine.  It was just awful, he said. :D

I'm sure your folks really appreciate your care for them. Good for you.

Since we seem to have struck up something of an on-going conversation, I hope you won't mind if I ask you a couple of procedural questions as I'm a real newbie at this on-line forum stuff. What's the difference if I click on the Quote button versus just going to the Reply button? Also, how do I post a picture under my name? If you have the time, I appreciate your help.

They want me to write a book. :lol: But I think I already have.:D I think people enjoy fiction to leave their heartaches and struggles behind.  Real life is real tough. They lived it. It was brutal and I came along when things were easier. 

However, if history repeats itself,  we'll be ready and we'll make it.  We're bent on survival. 

Just now, Alaska Woman said:

I'm sure your folks really appreciate your care for them. Good for you.

Since we seem to have struck up something of an on-going conversation, I hope you won't mind if I ask you a couple of procedural questions as I'm a real newbie at this on-line forum stuff. What's the difference if I click on the Quote button versus just going to the Reply button? Also, how do I post a picture under my name? If you have the time, I appreciate your help.

When you click on the quote button,  just like I did right now,  it brings up your post and I am making a reply.

Reply = Reply, without your post coming along for the ride.

Click on the top right corner small down arrow.  You will see profile.  Select profile.

In the bottom left of the round blank photo, you will see in the lower left corner, a camera.  Click on that camera icon and insert your photo from your files. Voila.   I make a new one every day because that's just the way I roll. 

I ate a LOT of plastic crab growing up, and then throughout college :blink:......it was cheap protein. And sugar.....I don't get me started on sugar.....it's crazy how how we can consistently end up eating buckets of sugar without even eating a candy bar or ice cream or anything even remotely "sugary"!!! Days I thought I was being  "heathy".....was easily consuming boat loads. 

May the farce no longer be with us. :lol: We're just too legit to quit now.  No more jello for me, Maw. :P  Jello, the poor man's collagen peptides.  Oooo, brother. 

Bear wants to add that his Maw bought Rex jelly.  Beef gelatin with sugar and artificial flavor. He used to eat it every morning. There was no fruit in it whatsoever.  Fake news and faker foods.  :D

2 hours ago, Alaska Woman said:

Do you think the fish would take it? Animals are pretty smart. One time when we were camping the raccoons got into our backpacks and ate every single thing except the Kraft processed "cheese" slices!

Image result for photo raccoons eating garbage

They're such discriminating little shoppers.

Okay, one more  and I gotta pick up and blow.

Image result for photos squirrels eating nutella

Ingredients. The main ingredients of Nutella are sugar, palm oil, and hazelnut, followed by cocoa solids and skimmed milk. In the United States, Nutella contains soy products. Nutella is marketed as "hazelnut cream" in many countries.

1 hour ago, MeadowLily said:

When you click on the quote button,  just like I did right now,  it brings up your post and I am making a reply.

Reply = Reply, without your post coming along for the ride.

Click on the top right corner small down arrow.  You will see profile.  Select profile.

In the bottom left of the round blank photo, you will see in the lower left corner, a camera.  Click on that camera icon and insert your photo from your files. Voila.   I make a new one every day because that's just the way I roll. 

Thanks a bunch, and I think you should write a book about your growing up years.

There is sugar in so much stuff that doesn't need sugar!  

Why does bread have to be sugared up?    Yeast doesn't need THAT much sugar to start reacting.

And why oh why do ADULTS need Gummy Bear vitamins?

Archived