Keratosis Pilaris - Had to share a NSV!

Downhomeduo

Just had to share, this is my first Whole30. I am on day 12. I have been gluten free for 5 years due to severe intolerance, but I have always included dairy in my diet and a small amount of grains on an infrequent basis. I thought my diet was really clean. I noticed my keratosis pilaris on my arms was starting to get worse recently. I've been to countless dermatologists in the past, tried every cream, and I've basically given up. 

I decided to try a Whole30, really with the intention of cutting out dairy as the major change, which I figured could be the culprit for my skin issues. I know dairy proteins are slow to leave the system, so I am SUPER stoked to see on day 12 that my arms are clearing up like never before!!!! I have literally struggled with this my whole life. I'm hoping that someone else who is struggling will see this and feel encouraged.

The only thing I can say that is negative about this, is the realization that dairy probably is not something I should include in my diet after Whole30, and that really upsets me. I guess I could try different types of dairy (perhaps goat or sheep) and see if they have the same effect once I'm in the reintroduction phase? Or, maybe once my gut is healed I'll be able to tolerate it again??? Does anyone have any insight on this?

• Administrators

That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, you'll probably have some grief over the loss of dairy, but as a non-dairy person myself who had a strong love affair with sour cream and yogurt, I promise you, you'll move past it and eventually it won't even cross your mind!

Dairy upsets my skin terribly (eczema) but after years of mostly dairy-free, I can tolerate summer ice cream or yogurt in morning breakfasts when on a camping holiday and I won't always send a "no cheese" omelette back if it has cheese in it by error. But get cocky and think that my body can do dairy on the regular? Nopity-nope-nope. Select and infrequent occasions though and I do alright. You'll have to test yourself. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Healing KP is a non-scale victory I never even considered! I'm on day 4 and hoping that by day 30 mine will have improved too! I've also tried all the creams/exfoliates/coconut oils you can think of, and have resolved myself to living with it. Maybe dairy, grains, or some other allergy is causing it, and I can clear it up with diet changes. Who knew?! Thanks for the heads up!

I've recently been very self conscious about my skin because of my KP. It's on my arms, legs, and back, and it has gotten worse in the last year. I had an allergist tell me it might be dairy when I was 10, but I've never truly cut it out for an extended time. I'm excited to see how my whole30 impacts it. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's great that your KP is clearing! As a beauty therapist with a focus on skin care that intrigues me. It might be something I can suggest to clients struggling with skin issues. As for intolerance, as you are gluten intolerant it's quite common to find you are lactose intolerant too. After your Whole 30 I would keep eating Whole 30 but reintroduce just dairy to see if it is a trigger for your skin. If you find your skin getting worse again then removing it from your diet will help you. Hard though as I love dairy too! Although I have discovered almond and oat milk are good substitutes for me.

Archived